Author Topic: Nintendo Worlds Spin-Off (Recruitment)  (Read 19604 times)

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Worlds Spin-Off (Recruitment)
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2013, 06:48:30 PM »
These ones, I think.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2013, 07:05:41 PM »
The idea I've pretty much settled on is one of Garryl's Power of Cybernetics classes, perhaps with a bit of psionics.  The character would be a "special op" Federation soldier.  I'm still getting used to the quirks of incarnum-esque systems but I'm learning fairly fast and could get a build together if I pressed myself and made sure to keep notes.

And since we're going to be in the same area, perhaps a new OOC thread for people to chat in is needed?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 07:19:44 PM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2013, 07:23:15 PM »
These ones, I think.

Yes, those.  That's why I put "Breath of Fire" in quotes.   :P

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2013, 07:27:46 PM »
These ones, I think.

...Oh.  I thought you meant Breath of Fire, osle's discipline.

Which of my homebrew were you thinking?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2013, 07:30:35 PM »
I'm going to bow out for the time being. I just don't have the time right now to figure out a whole character. Perhaps later if a spot opens up.

Jack, if you go PoC/psionics, the one posted PrC so far is a dual progression class for the two subsystems. I keep waffling about whether or not it should lose a manifester level at some point, but it's complete otherwise.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2013, 07:40:04 PM »
These ones, I think.

...Oh.  I thought you meant Breath of Fire, osle's discipline.

Which of my homebrew were you thinking?

Ethos of the Wyrm.  I'm not sold on the idea though.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2013, 08:22:33 PM »
Hmm, bit of a crazy idea.  I'm assuming Garryl's PoC stuff is allowed, but is some of SirPercival's Magipunk stuff a possibility?  I am looking at a combo of the Synthevolver (Mechanosynth specifically) and one of the PoC classes.  Assuming the skills are expanded for normal D&D use instead of Perce's combined skills, of course.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 03:41:38 AM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2013, 07:37:28 AM »
Synthevolver seems good to go with "expanded" skills and yes I liked what I saw of PoC on the other campaign so that's allowed as well.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2013, 01:46:59 PM »
 :plotting  I'm definitely going to like this.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2013, 02:59:52 PM »
Oslecamo, are you fine with Breath of Fire being integrated into your Nintendo worlds or should I find a different game to be inspired by?

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2013, 06:07:22 PM »
Well if you really want it I can integrate it, but you'll have to explain me what's unique about Breath of Fire fluff-wise when there's already Fire Emblem's dozen or so variants of diferent dragon-people walking around in yer usual fantasy setting. I never played any Breath of Fire title (altough I had seen the game here and there), so knowing what particular aspects you're interested in would be nice.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2013, 07:57:53 PM »
Well, first of all I'd say the Brood themselves are more than worthy of some space of their own. The Windians as well (race of winged people, extremely magically inclined, usually one of the oldest bloodlines in the world. Usually have a tomboy princess called Nina who may or may not have black wings - if so, she's cast out as a curse). The Brood are basically what they call dragons as a group in some of the games, and are often hunted either to extinction or near-extinction (the protagonist in each BoF game usually belongs to the Brood). Unlike regular dragons (which are typically content with ruling, at best, a continent), it's generally assumed that the mere presence of a member of the Brood in the world is capable of eventually fundamentally changing it. Some of them achieve veritable deity-like levels.

They also have a variety of anthropomorphic peoples, particularly dogs, oxen and monkeys. There's usually a sentient tree called Yggdrasil whose fruit are the stuff of plot device legend. (Peco anyone? Though that's technically outside the SNES part.)

Fossilized dragons in BoF 3 turn into chrysm, which is basically a crystal-based energy source (and also a source of power and knowledge, as the Chrysm is more or less sentient).

Oooooo... I'm reminded of Final Fantasy 6. Half-Espers anyone?
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2013, 08:34:29 PM »
Also the Brood can look like humans and turn into a bunch of different kinds of dragons.

Also I've never played any Fire Emblem game.....

To quote a Breath of Fire wiki, "The Dragon Clan, or Brood as they are alternatively known, are a mythical race within the Breath of Fire series. The people of the dragon clan generally stay in human form but have the ability to transform into dragons. Ryu, the protagonist of the series, is often from this particular clan hence his ability to transform into a dragon. The dragon clan becomes less prominent as the games go on, and even to the point of extinction in Breath of Fire III. "

Edit: To put it simply, I'm interested in playing a Scaleshaper and don't know of any other game that allows a character to turn into a bunch of different types of dragon.  So if Scaleshaper (or the concept itself) is out, let me know and I'll do something else.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2013, 10:55:32 AM »
Edit: To put it simply, I'm interested in playing a Scaleshaper and don't know of any other game that allows a character to turn into a bunch of different types of dragon.  So if Scaleshaper (or the concept itself) is out, let me know and I'll do something else.

Scaleshaper is out. I had actually once aproved a previous version of it, but see now that it has suffered a lot of power creep since then.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2013, 11:34:19 AM »

Scaleshaper is out. I had actually once aproved a previous version of it, but see now that it has suffered a lot of power creep since then.

What's changed since you approved the d8 HD? You can use magic items at lower levels without worrying about what slots they're in, but I don't see any other changes mentioned.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2013, 12:04:18 PM »
Besides full items all the time, multiplying weapon enanchments by 5 while make them immune to disarm, sunder and dispel (clause on the class is irrelevant because the item is melded and thus will never be a valid target for dispel magic). I also don't remember Dual Ideal at 8th level from the previous version.

And that's not taking in acount the fancy new items and feats that are flowing in as I type this.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 12:07:05 PM by oslecamo »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2013, 12:10:04 PM »
Besides full items all the time, multiplying weapon enanchments by 5 while make them immune to disarm, sunder and dispel (clause on the class is irrelevant because the item is melded and thus will never be a valid target for dispel magic). I also don't remember Dual Ideal at 8th level from the previous version.
They should still be valid targets for dispel -- suggestions on how to word a clarification?  And Dual Ideal was always at lvl 8 for the class.

Note that using the weapon enchantment thing means that the natural weapons can be sundered...

And that's not taking in acount the fancy new items and feats that are flowing in as I type this.
Haha, I've written 1 item.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2013, 01:35:10 PM »

Full items were always available. They were just tedious. Like Wild Shape, you had to take your items off, transform, then put them back on (and unlike animals, dragons explicitly have all the normal humanoid magic item slots, plus a couple extra, and the fine manipulation needed to put things on themselves). IIRC, the old version's wording even let you double up on some item slots (meld + worn), although I may be mistaken.

The weapon property splitting was present in the version you approved, and even worse as it actually multiplied your properties by 3 (one instance to each claw plus the original weapon), thus granting additional daily uses of abilities and the like, unlike the current version for which such things are all shared.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 01:41:21 PM by Garryl »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2013, 01:58:21 PM »
I had already asked sirp to fix the weapon spliting property. There was then a version that just granted one weapon to one natural weapon, which I aproved. It was then changed again, and for that and others disaproved.

They should still be valid targets for dispel -- suggestions on how to word a clarification?  And Dual Ideal was always at lvl 8 for the class.

Note that using the weapon enchantment thing means that the natural weapons can be sundered...
What's the HP of a dragon's claw/wing/bite again? Does any DR you have applies to it? Does the main body takes damage? Can't you just transform again to get it back? This is all lots of extra work for my part.

The first part is easy however. Just state they can now be dispelled as if they were worn magic items.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2013, 03:40:20 PM »
I had already asked sirp to fix the weapon spliting property. There was then a version that just granted one weapon to one natural weapon, which I aproved. It was then changed again, and for that and others disaproved.

What, exactly, is wrong about it as it is? You don't get to double up on anything, you just apply your weapon properties to all your attacks, just as you would if you were wielding a manufactured weapon and making all of your (iterative) attacks with that.

... wait, actually, never mind. I tend to think solely in quantities of attacks and forget about the other aspects of the attacks, like that iteratives are at -5 through -15, and come online later than the commensurate number of Scaleshift natural attacks, whereas the natural attacks are at a fixed -5 (and trivially -2 or even -0) and come online relatively early (I can't believe I never noticed just how early... and scaling up to 6 attacks!). I also tend to forget about Rapidstike (don't own nor have read Draconomicon), effective immunity to disarm and sunder (I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen those options do anything other than waste an attack, but it's still a thing), and that funky interaction with Monk's Unarmed Strike (to add manufactured attacks in your natural attack routine). So, yeah, I see where you're going with this and I agree, it needs a change.

What's the HP of a dragon's claw/wing/bite again? Does any DR you have applies to it? Does the main body takes damage? Can't you just transform again to get it back? This is all lots of extra work for my part.

The first part is easy however. Just state they can now be dispelled as if they were worn magic items.

It doesn't. The current version can't be disarmed or sundered, just like normal natural weapons (it's just manufactured for interacting with weapon properties, mostly so that you can't double dip with a Necklace of Natural Attacks).

As for dispelling, it says that already.
When a scaleshaper scaleshifts, any equipment he wears other than armor and held objects shifts with him, altering its form to accommodate the new shape. Objects that do not or cannot resize themselves meld into the new body, but retain their properties and can still be targeted and affected by spells and effects as though they were worn normally.

Edit: Hmm, technically not. That passage is only referring to non-armor, non-held items that meld. Good catch.