Author Topic: 30+ BAB Party at lv20, or "Believe in me who believes in you"  (Read 8176 times)

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
30+ BAB Party at lv20, or "Believe in me who believes in you"
« on: November 06, 2011, 10:44:23 AM »
This is an old build of mine, but I figured I should start a thread for it. The only book required is Complete Warrior.

X 5/Purple Dragon Knight 2/War Chanter 10/X +3
Feats: Leadership

X can be any full-BAB class, though a White Raven focused crusader probably has the best synergy. The cohort has 10 levels of kensai, and the rest of his build doesn't matter.

EDIT: A faster entry is Paladin of freedom 4/War chanter 10 with the Harmonious Knight ACF. Paladin of slaughter works too.

The two class features you're looking at are Instill (kensai) and Inspire Legion (war chanter). The former lets you transfer some of your BAB to another character. The latter lets everyone around you use the highest BAB of any character in the area.

1. Have your cohort Instill 10 points of his BAB into you, raising your BAB to +30.
2. Use Inspire Legion, setting everyones' BAB to +30 (including the cohort).
3. ???
4. Profit!

You can take this trick further by giving the cohort bloodlines, levels in uncanny trickster, etc. to raise his effective kensai level and thus how much he can instill. Or just use multiple kensai.

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
Re: 30+ BAB Party at lv20, or "Believe in me who believes in you"
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 10:45:02 AM »
Ascend to godhood
One of the few ways to legit Divine Rank Zero,
is getting BAB +30 as part of the True Dragon requirements of Dragon Ascendant.
Then you take the 12 levels of the PrC.

So ...

If all the stuff posted on this thread,
can handle an early bab +30,
and a PHB2 class rebuild or two,
that'd be the earliest DvR 0 !!

(without pulling a pun-pun abom.yank or an omni knowledge)
"My companions' feelings are etched into my body. I'll change this infinite darkness into light! Heaven and Earth, one who matches the gods!"

Pierce the heavens with your +10 equivalent drill!
And yes, that trick pretty much requires Dragonwrought kobold. Meaning you start off as a wimpy-looking short guy who lives underground and is good at mining. Plus you qualify for Dragonfire Inspiration, which lets you make speeches so passionate that things burst into flames.

What I was trying to say was you could qualify for dragon ascendant using the following method. This trick assumes Dragon Wrought Kobold's count as true dragons.
Requirements:
DWK full BAB class 8/whatever 12. Using DWK epic feat acquisition by being older than old age to acquire all the prereq feets for dragon ascendant and leadership, flaws may be required and a few magical locations.
War Chanter friend with the build on the first page.
The DWK's cohort has 10 levels of kensai and his oath of service is to the DWK.
One thought Bottle, a 100000 gp hoard I recomend it to be one really expensive magical item, one wight.

Steps:
DWK stores experience in the thought bottle.
The DWK level drains himself and loses 12 levels of classes, the Kensai stays loyal to him due to oath of service.
The War chanter and kensai pull off the 30 BAB trick.
The DWK uses the thought bottle to get back his XP and eats the 100000 gp hoard to take the 12 levels in dragon ascendent.
The Warchanter can leave at this point. The DWK can now be a quasi-deity for 1 hour a day.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 10:51:28 AM by Prime32 »

Offline The_Mad_Linguist

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Not peeved, unique, nor linguist. Username = lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 08:25:36 PM »
You're using kobold cheese already?

Remember the dragonwrought early qualification SUPER BAB hax?  How about them

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 08:59:36 PM »
Kamiya and his cohort Simon :D
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Dusk Eclipse

• Yo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 09:29:26 PM »
 :o Wow, I really like that and I would love to have a DM that would let me play that.

If you go the Harmonious paladin route, perhaps using a bit of DFI to really lay down the hurt?

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 09:33:52 PM »
I'm away from books, but, doesn't Inspire Greatness gives you a +2 BAB as well?
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Offline Dusk Eclipse

• Yo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 09:43:38 PM »

Here is the relevant text

Quote from: Author=SRD
Inspire Greatness (Su)
A bard of 9th level or higher with 12 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use music or poetics to inspire greatness in himself or a single willing ally within 30 feet, granting him or her extra fighting capability. For every three levels a bard attains beyond 9th, he can target one additional ally with a single use of this ability (two at 12th level, three at 15th, four at 18th). To inspire greatness, a bard must sing and an ally must hear him sing. The effect lasts for as long as the ally hears the bard sing and for 5 rounds thereafter. A creature inspired with greatness gains 2 bonus Hit Dice (d10s), the commensurate number of temporary hit points (apply the target’s Constitution modifier, if any, to these bonus Hit Dice), a +2 competence bonus on attack rolls, and a +1 competence bonus on Fortitude saves. The bonus Hit Dice count as regular Hit Dice for determining the effect of spells that are Hit Dice dependant. Inspire greatness is a mind-affecting ability.

I think it doesn't; but I see how one could argue the extra HD give BAB

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 04:51:27 AM »

Here is the relevant text

Quote from: Author=SRD
Inspire Greatness (Su)
A bard of 9th level or higher with 12 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use music or poetics to inspire greatness in himself or a single willing ally within 30 feet, granting him or her extra fighting capability. For every three levels a bard attains beyond 9th, he can target one additional ally with a single use of this ability (two at 12th level, three at 15th, four at 18th). To inspire greatness, a bard must sing and an ally must hear him sing. The effect lasts for as long as the ally hears the bard sing and for 5 rounds thereafter. A creature inspired with greatness gains 2 bonus Hit Dice (d10s), the commensurate number of temporary hit points (apply the target’s Constitution modifier, if any, to these bonus Hit Dice), a +2 competence bonus on attack rolls, and a +1 competence bonus on Fortitude saves. The bonus Hit Dice count as regular Hit Dice for determining the effect of spells that are Hit Dice dependant. Inspire greatness is a mind-affecting ability.

I think it doesn't; but I see how one could argue the extra HD give BAB

I think it should work with divine power at least. Anyway, that's another discussion :P
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Offline Optimator

• Lurker
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 12:14:33 AM »
I love this build.

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 09:40:11 AM »
Build for the cohort (assuming master has the Improved Cohort feat):

Warblade 5/Kensai 10/Legacy champion 4+
Feats: Combat Expertise, Least Legacy, Weapon Focus
Instill up to 13 points of BAB. If bloodline levels don't count against ECL (or you can buy them off) then add a major bloodline so you can instill 16 points.

With this build the master can gain/grant +31 BAB at lv19, meeting the prereqs for Dragon Ascendant. Or if you're using bloodlines he can reach +30 BAB at lv17.

EDIT: If you're using the warchanter and kensai to buff a third character who takes the Dragon Ascendant levels, then clearly either the warchanter or kensai is a hengeyokai (weasel).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 09:56:51 AM by Prime32 »

Offline Mooncrow

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The man who will be Pirate King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 10:33:34 AM »
In honor of this thread, here's a link to one of my favorite AMVs:

Here

(yes, if you're into "the scene" at all, I'm sure you saw it with me at Japan Expo '08 - but it's still great^^)

Offline Bard

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Medium sized Lemure
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 04:15:08 PM »
To make a good use of the Kensai in the Cohort and to keep him far from danger as well, I suggest a Soulknife/Soulbow build (I think Soulbow is the class/prc that benefits the most from Kensai levels)

"Playing the first 6 levels in D&D is like watching the story intro at the beginning of an action/disaster movie: it's boring and the shorter it is, the better."