Author Topic: Stark Industries Thread 1  (Read 4812 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Stark Industries Thread 1
« on: March 02, 2013, 05:00:48 PM »
Magus Faontry sits at his desk, scribing on parchment with an elegant quill.  A shimmer of arcane symbols floats around his head, providing light in the dim room for him to see by.  After a moment, he turns to the group, breathing raspily.  With a start, you see the milk-white eyes and realize that he is blind.

My apologies for keeping you waiting.  I believe we all know why you are here -- the Games begin in two days, and if we are to perform a field test of these new techniques, we should be about it.  Are there any questions you have for me?"

Behind him, monumental piles of parchment rustle and slither together in an absent wind, seeming almost alive with their whispering.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
Re: Stark Industries Thread 1
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 02:50:19 AM »
At the Magus's inquiry, one of the big metal creatures standing in the back speaks up in a metallic growl.  We are all here because we are good at what we do, and Stark Industries wishes to show off the best its services can offer.  With that in mind, I have only one question:  What is our first task?

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 12:24:46 PM »
The halfling with a bandolier of vials, flasks, and bottles strapped across his chest stares at the Magus unblinkingly. As the metal creature at the back of the group speaks, Deppet makes a valiant attempt to whisper to the person next to him out of the side of his mouth without actually moving it. "This is not the best dream I've ever had."
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 04:42:04 PM »
A rodent-like creature, about the size of a mid-sized housecat, stands next to the tall halfling. It seems like almost any other animal, except the fact that it is not only wearing clothes, but what appears to be appropriately-sized armor, as well as various packs and pouches. Attached to its back via a belt slung over one shoulder is what appears to be a rather large cyllinder, like those used to hold scrolls of parchment.

After the Halfling's whispers, the creature turns its head from side to side, looking at its peers. Then, looking back up at the Halfling, the creature unexpectedly whispers back, "I don't quite follow." The creature then stares back at the Magus, and says out loud, "I don't fail. I make sure all of my creations, inventions and constructs alike, perform to peak specifications. You can rest assured that this team will trounce the competition. I guarantee it!"

There's something irrepressibly cute about his spirited, yet high-pitched, squeaky voice.

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »
"I would also like to know the basic tasks for the games. Aside from advertising equipment, of course, if there is anything SI has in mind for us." The voice is crisp, commanding, and yet young. It emanates from a large and decorative suit of armor, with many lines and curves suggesting hidden secrets artfully out of sight. If it hadn't spoken, you might have thought the armor was purely decorative for the room, though it certainly would have stood out. "Do we have a contact? Where do we report?" The man inside the armor was eager to get started, yes, but only so far as this task could be completed. He didn't like the idea of risking his life, even inside his most perfect piece.
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 09:30:45 PM »
Deppet blinks, turning his stare on the rodent-like being. "Oh damn. I'm awake." He straightens up, hands flying to his head in a hopeless attempt at taming the mass of dreadlocks lurking there. One of the vials falls out of his bandolier and shatters on the floor. Sheepishly, he coughs. "Don't worry, that one's...just water.

But, yes, my colleagues and I are ready. Completely capable of tackling your field test."

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 11:42:37 PM »
The metallic knight sits in a corner silently. Constructed for combat, it is unfamiliar with social interaction so it patiently waits until everyone else has introduced itself before attempting to do the same.

"[Fact]: Unit FU-01 present. All systems nominal. Awaiting instructions." 

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 06:04:00 AM »
Excellent. Faontry waves a hand absently at the stack of parchments, and a handful spin out onto his desk, unrolling themselves.  This is your entry paperwork for the Games.  I will be your contact, and will be in this room should you have need of me.  I have faith that such aid will not be required, given my knowledge of how Stark Industries, and you in particular, operate.

We will not know the exact missions until the Games begin, in two days.  Are there any preparations that you need to make until then?

With a start, you realize that though his lips move, his words are not audible - rather, he seems to be speaking directly into your mind.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 11:10:55 AM »
The small creature scampers up to the desk. "I just have a few tinkering projects to complete, and a final checklist of my scrolls and parchment supplies, but otherwise I'm ready for action!"

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 06:55:36 PM »
"I've been tinkering with the mark 1's operating procedures for pretty much it's entire span. I doubt being in the field will stop that, even; so in short, I'm as ready as I'm going to be. Hell, I'm fully equipped to operate immediately.... but let's not taunt the Magi...." He gave a shudder, though he didn't figure the suit was detailed enough to visually display this. He had it close as he could get to being a second skin; with a few key adjustments, it would be, but that would cost money. Hopefully they'd find something in-field that would do for temp modifications...

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 09:23:57 PM »
The big metal creature in the back speaks up again.  It is clearly accustomed to some social interaction; not surprising considering the need for communication skills in the stresses of dungeon exploration.  The Delvers are very anxious to see my capabilities tested in the Games this year, and to that end, sent me back to Stark Industries one month ago for a full tune-up.  I am ready.

Considering the many branches Stark Industries research we represent, are we all aware of what we can do?
  The question was unaccompanied by the metallic growl, and like the Magus's statement, was made directly into your minds.

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 12:30:54 PM »
The Metallic Knight nods

"[Fact]: Unit FU-01 ready for action." 

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 11:43:32 PM »
"I'm good. Good good good to go." Deppet rocks back and forth in place.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 10:13:16 AM »
Faondry purses his lips, then nods. Very well.  Return here in two days for the beginning of the games.

With that dismissal, the Magus turns back to his work.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 07:27:02 PM »
With a bit of a stiff nod, Jax turned, gave a slight salute to the new members of his team, and left briskly. He'd have to do a few calibrations for minor-movement; that nod was difficult, even if his head wasn't getting ripped off any time soon. Had to make sure the mobility and security were in proper sync. Also had to start writing up plans and tactics based on what info he had on these folk and tools....

(click to show/hide)

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 02:31:20 PM »
Vector nods and follows his makers.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 02:42:24 PM »
Deppet's eyes twitch back and forth between the puddle of water and broken glass on the floor and the seemingly uncaring Magus. He turns to leave, innocently sweeping one boot across the puddle to spread the water around and send the glass shards skittering into some far corner.

(click to show/hide)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 02:19:34 AM »
After two days of furious ((off-screen)) preparation, you journey from Magus Faondry's office deeper into the Magi headquarters.  The old man moves slowly, but with a surety of pace that speaks of years in these halls, even blind as he is.  He keeps a light touch on the wall, and doesn't speak until everyone has paused outside an enormous double door, made of heavy ironbound blackwood.

After you enter, I am not allowed to speak with you until 24 hours have passed.  You are to choose and execute the first (and possibly second) mission yourselves, without sponsor intervention.  Please return to my office once this has been accomplished.  Alternatively, you may wait until the allotted time, and we can discuss the first steps at that point.

He pauses for a moment, looking at each one of you in turn.  This tournament is a marathon, gentlemen.  You need not rush to complete any mission; pace yourselves, and stay alive.  I can have you raised, but the point deduction for a death is significant, and time can be made up later.

I wish you luck.

Then the Magus turns and leaves, back the way he came.

((Final words? Or, someone can open the door... lol))

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 04:22:12 PM »
"Alright. Lordplate, final systems checking..."

As he said it, the whole of the suit came to life. Panels slid apart, on the arms, on the hammer hanging at the man's side (a forge-hammer?), even two spikes sliding away. Wands protruded from these, rotated, sparked, and retreated. The left, larger arm slid down, protectively, then retreated; obviously a small shield that could leave the hand's free. The suit finally snapped into place completely, finishing with the mask of the helmet slamming shut crisply. The fully armored figure threw a red cloth around his neck, and turned back to his motley crew. "Alright, crisp. Let's go." It was he who put  hand on the door, waiting for the confirmation from his group before shoving off and beginning this most dangerous game.

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 08:16:23 PM »
Deppet gives the man in the iron suit a thumbs-up, eyeing the door with great suspicion.