Author Topic: Fleshing out a concept .... (Planescape)  (Read 1445 times)

Offline wotmaniac

• Legendary Member
  • Procrastinator in Chief
    • View Profile
Fleshing out a concept .... (Planescape)
« on: March 13, 2013, 11:53:43 PM »
(hopefully this is the right board for this...)

So, I've got this idea for a starting scenario for my upcoming Planescape campaign; but I'm not sure how to flesh out the "why":

Set-up:
(starting level = ~15)  The PCs will all find themselves in a dungeon cell.  The last thing that any of them remember is that they were getting their fortune read by this planar gypsy person/thingy; and they happened to have fallen victim to the Donjon card from the Deck of Many Things (I'm debating on whether or not to let them keep their stuff; which would be retrievable as they navigate the dungeon).
From here, they must navigate this "Donjon of Many Things".  Basically, as they try to escape/find their way out, they will be encountering various cards from the DoMT -- except it won't be in the form of literal cards .... it may come in the form of any "random" object that is opened or otherwise singled-out for examination (e.g., a door, book, chest, drawer, a single "thing" in a pile of other "things", etc.).  Upon opening/selecting/examining the would be "card", the PC will receive the effects (each PC can only be effected by a given "card" once; but any/all PCs can choose to receive the effect of any given "card"). 
Obviously, there will need to be some alternate adjudication of certain cards in order to not just say "fuck you, because fuck you". 

So, once they get out and/or reach the "end", they will then discover what the point of all this was.
And this is where I would like some input:

Scenario 1:
This whole thing was set up by a freelancing/renegade Sensate.  When you reach the "end", he/she will engage the party, explaining that this whole thing was designed as yet another experiment so as to collect the experiences in his own on-site sensory stones.
Needless to say, this guy is a little twisted.
If I go this route, I'm really at a loss for how this would fit in to a "bigger picture".  Ideas?

Scenario 2:
This is a testing and recruitment tool for one of the other factions ..... and I'm spent.  :shrug

Scenario 3+:
Kitchen Sink -- whatchya got?

Thanks.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
Re: Fleshing out a concept .... (Planescape)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 12:16:17 AM »
The Sensates are a cool idea. If you want to change the idea up a little bit, i have an idea that i think it's cool.

Instead of sending them into a Deck of Many Things themed maze, send them into one of the LoP's mazes instead!

Or... At least it LOOKS like it is one of her mazes... But is it? The twist may come in the form of, this was a maze designed by a Sensate to EMULATE one of the LoP's mazes, in order to gather the FEELING someone gets when they are entrapped in one of her mazes.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life