Author Topic: Chapter 1: Expedition  (Read 22684 times)

Offline DragoonWraith

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 1: Expedition
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2013, 01:44:11 AM »
Liltar looks fairly angry, and visibly grits her teeth, but nods curtly.

Those who can see her can tell quite plainly that Yára pushed Liltar into agreeing to the terms.

At Singorn's question, Liltar barks a sharp laugh. "It is known that mortals fear what is not known. Darkness in that place the sun loves best has you worried, but to us it is just another thing to avoid."
Legend contributing author

Currently playing Heroes Reborn – Team M.A.I.N.G.A.U.C.H.E.

Some homebrew, more homebrew

Offline Darkone

• Lurker
  • This message approved by Desus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2013, 12:12:29 PM »
Johnathan's eye twitches for a moment at the mention of 'mortals,' but he stays quiet until a lull.

"Only the rumors, Lord," he says crisply. "Monsters appear at night, raid and attack, disappear by dawn. Some say they're sticking around. That's all we've heard, hopefully someone else can elaborate."
#9CC2DA So that I don't need to keep grabbing this code again.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2013, 12:44:21 PM »
Singorn looks at Liltar with lidded eyes, but it is a look of pity, not anger or scorn. "I had hoped... but never mind, it is clearly fruitless."

To Jonathan, he replies, "Yes, that is the gist of it.  To oversimplify in the name of being concise, there is an army of strange creatures attacking my southern borders.  I have been unable to ascertain the origin or methods of these creatures, and am sending a group of adventurers to the front lines, in an attempt to resolve the situation.

However, that is not my plan for you.  I have another task, which requires great discretion, ingenuity, and a large helping of danger.  I must ask you all to swear secrecy before I proceed with my explanation.  I will of course give you the choice of participation in this endeavor, before or after you have sworn."
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2013, 01:22:01 PM »
"I swore to keep your secrets when I joined the Agentes. I will not stop now. You have my oath."

Offline Harald

• wielding a 30 Tons Tank as an improvised flail.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2013, 02:26:27 PM »
The centurio said nothing. He debuckled his gorget, and pulled out a plain silver medal. On the front, was his name and rank. He showed up the other side, where it was written :
"Tantum nex officium terminus."
He put back his medal under his armor, and stand again at attention.
Once your word given, no need to say it again, unless you want their very weight questionned.

(click to show/hide)
"-Lady-Captain, we detect 20 hostile vessels against us,  and Erasmus Haarlock's Spear of Destiny ! What are your orders ?
-RAMMING SPEED !

final result : 6 slaughts vessels, 4 imperial frigates, 2 imperial cruisers destroyed. Haarlock sent into the warp. 0 losses. Flawless Victory.

Offline Darkone

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2013, 02:45:20 PM »
"Of course, Lord," Johnathan replies. Celia in turn simply nods quietly.

Offline DragoonWraith

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2013, 03:41:04 PM »
"I already agreed, did I not?" Now that her piece was done, Liltar seemed impatient. Who on earth would she tell his secrets to even if she wanted to? It's not like there were many candidates out there who would likely be able to promise what Singorn could only "look into" anyway.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2013, 12:38:13 AM »
Of course.  My oath of fealty demands it, and I stand by that oath.  During this back and forth, and even while he is speaking, Lord Kensington has gone back to absentmindedly tracing patterns on his hand with his fingers.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2013, 03:13:02 AM »
Your Grace, you know that my loyalty knows no bounds.  I will face down any foe in your name, and even if I am captured and tortured I will defend your secrets with my dying breath!
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
  • Organizations are imaginary.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2013, 04:35:52 PM »
When Lord Kensington steps out from behind CaraVela, she purses her lips and shakes her head in amused disapproval, glancing among those involved in the conflict and then giving the Astronomer an extremely cross-eyed look as if to say, “Don’t  you see it?” like a private well-worn joke between them.

(click to show/hide)

When Singorn asks about the Shadow War, CaraVela pauses, staring off and tapping her forefinger against her lips briefly in thought. Jonathan and Liltar answer before she is done, and then CaraVela nods in agreement, continuing to nod as Singorn outlines the situation. Singorn concludes by asking for a pledge, and once again CaraVela waits to respond till those senior to her have spoken, the Centurio, Merrion, and especially Lord Kensington.

She curtsies again to Singorn. You have my pledge in this, of course, if you need one... yet… if secrecy is paramount, are independent pledges needful from the minds unseen? If so, I confess not to know of another mind unseen within, but if one should unfold I pledge further to do what I may to keep secrecy regardless.

My lord, you asked about the Shadow War and I quickly reviewed what knowledge came easily to the surface of my thought. My memories are very deep, and the best result may need Magical aid. I can take a little Time to plumb the depths of my memories, if you need it, but I can only give myself that Magical aid once or twice a day… so you may have some other question you prefer that I delve for you.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:59:40 PM by MetroMagic »

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2013, 12:33:10 AM »
The scales on his spine tingled as the request was put to him. To pledge himself to the God King, even in secrecy, was something that he could not even have dreamed of doing, especially at this early stage where he was still a nobody in this city. It pleased him greatly, scared him none at all, and caused his blood to fire at the idea of a dangerous task for such a magnificent being. "I swear, on all that I am and all that I have been, that all that I will be shall keep your secret, good King." He spoke every single syllable of the pledge slowly, remembering it from the pledge he took to his family and ways before he had undergone the ritual of rebirth. It was the single most important day in his life, so he had been told. The glory of this day and the promise of deeds to come made this a close contender, though, and he could think of no pledge remembered or improvised that might hold so much meaning and significance.

(click to show/hide)
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2013, 12:48:20 AM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2013, 01:37:32 PM »
The God-king sighs, then nods. "I thank you all for that. What I am about to tell you is a state secret.

There is a city beyond the Curtain, called World's End. It is a holding area for criminals in permanent exile, which I founded two centuries ago when a traveler turned up with news of a small island on the precipice beyond the Curtain.  News from World's End is infrequent, but I cannot rule out the possibility that the creatures attacking our border from the Obsidian Desert are from somewhere beyond the Curtain... especially because the residents of World's End spare no love for me and my Empire.

My task for you is to travel to World's End, and determine as best you can whether one of the exiles, or their descendants, has brought about the Shadow War.  Your mission must remain a secret, and you will likely face opposition from the locals. This is why I have chosen the most capable among you for this particular assignment.

I expect you will have questions, before we begin to discuss specific details."

I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline DragoonWraith

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2013, 01:46:48 PM »
Liltar tries very hard to express, nonverbally, the fact that she has no questions and furthermore could not imagine why anyone else would.

Offline Darkone

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2013, 02:56:13 PM »
"Only one - would you know of anyone there we may contact?" Johnathan asks. "Having an in to the locals would be useful."

Offline Harald

• wielding a 30 Tons Tank as an improvised flail.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2013, 04:07:49 PM »
I do have questions, your Majesty. By which mean shall we go there and come back ? How will we be able to transmit meaningful reports to your Highness from there ?  And what kind of ennemies dwells there in exile ? What kind of actions are we allowed to execute in your Name ?
The stern officer was, as expected, direct to the point.
"-Lady-Captain, we detect 20 hostile vessels against us,  and Erasmus Haarlock's Spear of Destiny ! What are your orders ?
-RAMMING SPEED !

final result : 6 slaughts vessels, 4 imperial frigates, 2 imperial cruisers destroyed. Haarlock sent into the warp. 0 losses. Flawless Victory.

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2013, 05:22:40 PM »
"Enemies, we can expect to be abundant, though I too am curious as to how we should get to and fro. No doubt your Majesty has thought of this, and has a plan." He tried to speak with more confidence than actually came out. This was exciting, and beyond any form of danger he had previously engaged. His battles against the multiple trolls had been child's play, and bandits are nothing to a true warrior. But this would be all of the greatest enemies he could have ever have hoped to even hear stories about, much less meet. The foes of the King himself. These battles would be numerous, and brutal, and glorious. In his mind, the Beast rumbled with a pleased growl, eager in it's anticipation.
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2013, 07:54:43 PM »
    A city beyond the curtain!  How interesting!  I have done some traveling in my time - Lord K. sneaks a knowing look and a wink at CaraVela - but there's always somewhere new.  (I wonder what the sky looks like from there...) He trails off for a second, with a speculative look on his face, but then picks up again. I have several questions, your majesty, as it appears other members of our group do, but I am guessing that many of them will be answered in your "specific details," as you said, so I will hold off asking them until we have more of the story.

EDITED to include CNC's potential questions.
    (click to show/hide)
    « Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:43:19 AM by FireInTheSky »

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
    • I am Concerned
      • View Profile
    « Reply #78 on: May 07, 2013, 10:34:21 PM »
    Merrion strove to keep his face impassive as he takes in the outline of their mission. A penal colony beyond the curtain! Made up of the most dangerous criminals in the empire, exiled together. And they were tasked with infiltrating this place and determining if someone there was the mastermind behind the shadow war. This would be a challenge that called for all his skills and those of the others in the unit. He could not help becoming somewhat excited at the prospect.

He held his tongue, however, agreeing with Lord Kensington that questions could wait until the briefing was complete.

(click to show/hide)

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
      • View Profile
    « Reply #79 on: May 08, 2013, 01:20:49 AM »
    CaraVela listens to everyone’s responses, again waiting her turn, but her expression has been very thoughtful and distant, and her color has been draining. At last she speaks gravely, looking quite pale. My lord, for this mission to remain secret, even from the locals, then you do not intend for us to act there on your behalf, as some have suggested we might, at least not outwardly. Your intent for us is clandestine, else we would not gain the confidence of the locals to find out anything of value. And so you intend to send us there, not as your official agents, but as… at least some of us… as exiles, do you not? By whatever means exiles are sent. With the hostility and uncertainty that new exiles must meet from the established hierarchy that will have arisen, in a city where all come as criminals, and new outsiders are new dangers. I understand the need, if that is your wish and plan.

I expect many of the current exiles have not the means to return, given the challenges of penetrating the Curtain even with messages as you say, and those who might, consider the consequences of return to be a deterrent. You gave them life with exile beyond the Curtain; I can only guess that was in preference to death on this side of it. But you mean for us to return… which brings me to my question.

CaraVela’s voice becomes faint. What we may learn about each other in this mission… will that remain as secret as the mission itself, as part of our pledge? She avoids returning Lord Kensington’s knowing glance.

Perhaps I run ahead too far… and worry needlessly.
    « Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:38:27 AM by MetroMagic »