Author Topic: Prologue: A Test of Courage (Beatrice)  (Read 16850 times)

Offline FelyxZephyr

• Honorary Mod
  • I see only Justice
    • View Profile
Prologue: A Test of Courage (Beatrice)
« on: April 05, 2013, 02:49:08 PM »
The entire day has been almost like a dream.  It's finally time for you to go out.  To do what you said you were gonna do.  Now that it is finally time, you can't stop the rapid beating of your heart.  You are there in your room.  Your friend, Victini is sitting on the bed next to you and your pokedex is there on the table near your bed.  It's time...  But what are you gonna do?  A first step is important.  There is Nook cave just to the south of the city, you're pretty sure that is where most people start out.  The pokemon in there are supposed to be really easy to beat, so even if it is someone like you, it should be fine.

There are also some trainers in the 'Trainer's Circle' on the west side of town, then there's the river shortly after that, It's springtime, which means the river is overfull, so you're not sure if you can make it across that way, even the fairies are closed while the river is surging.  To the north is Gold Volcano, but that place is scary, even for high level trainers.  To the east is a forest path, but you're not sure if there are many Pokemon that way.
Magic do what you will

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
  • What is sickness to the body of a knight errant?
    • View Profile
    • The Spellshaping Codices (Homebrew Board)
Re: Prologue: A Test of Courage (Beatrice)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 06:38:18 AM »
Hiding the Pokédex under my pillow, I rush to my bedroom door and open it a crack.  A quick examination tells me that my father isn't nearby.

Good.

Back in my room, I lift my beret.  Victini happily flies up and settles down onto my head, to be quickly covered by the replaced beret.  I grab my new Pokédex from beneath my pillow, then grab my tote bag off of the ground and toss the electronic encyclopedia into it.  Slinging the bag over my shoulder, I slip my hand inside quickly and finger the Pokéball that the professor gave me--my "starter," she said.  I didn't want to tell her about Victini.  Just like I didn't tell my father about the professor.

Carefully, I pull the sheets off of my bed and start tying them together.  I tie the resulting "rope" to the windowsill, then sneak back to the door and check the hall again.

No father.  It's time.

I open the window, climb down the sheets, and run south.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 07:21:34 AM by DonQuixote »
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline FelyxZephyr

• Honorary Mod
  • I see only Justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 08:26:25 AM »
The air of the small city smells...  Free.

Your heart is racing as you hit the edge of what is traditionally referred to as the border of the city.  The pavement ends and a well worn path wends through a sparse forest.  There's still time to turn back... 

But how can you? 

Is it finally time? 

Are you ready?
Magic do what you will

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 08:31:20 AM »
I pause, hopping from one foot to the other.  It's...scary.  It's a big world and I don't know what's in it.  I turn back towards town.  Maybe...maybe I'm not ready.  I nervously fiddle with one of my hair-drills.

But...what would it mean, if I went back?  I did take the Pokédex from the professor, and she gave me one of her Pokémon.  Would she be disappointed?  She might not even be surprised.  Everyone knows I can't do anything right.

I shake my head vigorously.  Victini lets out a surprised yelp as it flies off my head, still wrapped in the beret.

"I'm sorry!" I cry out, rushing over.  Gingerly, I pick it back up, dusting it off gently.  I nuzzle it fiercely, receiving a contented murmur in response, then put the beret back on.  After a moment of cuddling, Victini flies out of my arms, lifts the beret, then snuggles against my head again.  I reach up under the hat and scratch my only friend between the ears.

I nod decisively, though gently.  I'm not going back home.  No matter what he says, I can do this.  Even if I can't do it...even if I'm not good enough...I have to try.

I step onto the path.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 08:41:00 AM by DonQuixote »
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline FelyxZephyr

• Honorary Mod
  • I see only Justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 08:42:09 AM »
The step is invigorating.  You feel a small measure of confidence.  You continue slowly down the pathway

You hear it softly at first.  It's a weird sound.

*kishi*

It's almost like a half laugh.

*kishi*

there it is again...

What is that?
Magic do what you will

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 08:44:49 AM »
I wrap my arms around myself nervously and look around for the noise.  Sensing my distress, Victini pokes its head out of the beret.

Offline FelyxZephyr

• Honorary Mod
  • I see only Justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 08:49:57 AM »
*kishi*

Beatrice feels her Beret get slowly lifted from her head.  She looks up and finds a purple balloon?!

Wait...  That balloon has eyes, it must be a pokemon!  And it's stealing your hat!!!  This almost seems like an awkward ripoff of an anime you watched one time!

Encounter: Start!

Initiative:
Beatrice
Victini (if commanded)
Balloon
Shroomish (if commanded)

Magic do what you will

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 08:54:36 AM »
"Uwah!" I cry out, falling backwards.  After a moment, I realize that the balloon is making off with my hat.

"Um, um!  Victini!  Please stop it!"

Oh!  It's...it's a Pokémon, isn't it?  I reach into my tote back and pull out the Pokédex the professor gave me.

ActionOption
Trainer ActionNone taken
Shift ActionNot taken
Command ActionVictini
Free ActionPokédex the balloon

Offline FelyxZephyr

• Honorary Mod
  • I see only Justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 08:56:30 AM »
Your pokedex chimes to life as it registers that it has locked onto a pokemon to identify.

POKEMON ROUND
Magic do what you will

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 08:59:22 AM »
ActionOption
Shift ActionNone taken
Move ActionConfusion - Special Attack - Ranged (10)

Accuracy 0:  1d20 : 7, total 7

Damage (Psychic):  2d8+14 : 6, 8 + 14, total 28

Offline FelyxZephyr

• Honorary Mod
  • I see only Justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 09:07:43 AM »
The balloon takes a truly massive hit, it's body looking considerably roughed up.  If this were some sort of game, you imagine that an irritating binging noise would be indicating just how low its HP was. 

It turns about and latches a couple of balloon strings to Victini, trying to drag it along with the Beret.

This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d20-2 : 3 - 2, total 1 Versus Defense
Upon successful hit, Victini's speed is reduced.
This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d6+1 : 2 + 1, total 3
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 09:09:26 AM by FelyxZephyr »
Magic do what you will

Offline FelyxZephyr

• Honorary Mod
  • I see only Justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 09:10:30 AM »
[please disregard the warning note, I guess they don't like me adding to posts that have dice, even if I don't mess with the dice text]

The strings of the balloon get tangled up as it tries to attack Victini

NEW ROUND

Initiative remains the same
Magic do what you will

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 09:16:03 AM »
"Oh!  Victini, hold on a moment!"  I reach into my bag again.

"Th-this is how trainers do it, right?" I ask Victini as I pull out a Pokéball.  Victini giggles and somersaults in midair.

"Uh...go, Pokéball!" I manage as I throw it towards the balloon.

ActionOption
Trainer ActionCapture attempt
Shift ActionNone taken

Capture Roll, Pokéball:  1d100+5 : 100 + 5, total 105

Offline FelyxZephyr

• Honorary Mod
  • I see only Justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 09:19:57 AM »
The Drifloon dodges the pokeball

*kishiiiiiiiiiii*

The Drifloon shrank in size, you feel as if it has become harder to hit with normal attacks.

Round 3!  SHOWTIME!

Initiative remains the same
Magic do what you will

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 09:25:35 AM »
Victini floats in midair, giggling.

"Um," I manage, trying to keep the embarrassment out of my voice.  "I...I'll try again!" I exclaim, pulling out another Pokéball.

ActionOption
Trainer ActionCapture attempt
Shift ActionNone taken

Capture Roll, Pokéball:  1d100+5 : 36 + 5, total 41

Offline FelyxZephyr

• Honorary Mod
  • I see only Justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 09:34:16 AM »
The Pokeball lands true, connecting with the balloon's balloony skin, with a red glow, the pokemon enters the ball.

*wiggle wiggle*

*wiggle wiggle*

*wiggle wiggle*

*doooon*

Congratulations!  Drifloon was Caught!

Your pokedex chimes in:
Drifloon:  Balloon pokemon.  This Ghost/flying type is frequently found in cities and towns where it enjoys playing with and playing pranks on small children or trainers just beginning their quests.  Try Dark or Ice moves.

[Victini gains 20 EXP]

You have obtained Drifloon:
LVL: 2 (Impish +1HP -2 SDEF)
HP: 10
ATK: 5
DEF: 5
SATK: 4
SDEF: 4
SPD: 7
MAX HP: 32 (8)

Ability:  Haunt

Overland1, Surface1, Sky6, Jump4, Power1, Intelligence4, Inflatable, Shrinkable

Constrict - Normal
1d6+1 - At-Will - 2
Attack - Melee
Effect: 1 Target
Constrict lowers the target’s Speed 1
Combat Stage.

Minimize - Normal
Center - None
Effect - Self
Effect: No Target
Foes need an additional +4 during
Accuracy Check to hit Minimize’s
user and the user’s size is lowered one
level for the remainder of the encounter
(Gigantic to Huge, to Large, to Medium
to Small).
Magic do what you will

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 09:48:39 AM »
Victini catches the beret before it hits the ground, then replaces it on my head.  Floating backwards, it considers the way the hats sits on me, then adjusts it a little before settling on my shoulder.

I'm too busy staring wide-eyed at the Pokéball to notice.

"We...we caught one.  We caught one, Victini!"  I take its little hands in mind and twirl around in place.

After this momentary celebration, I remember to go over and pick up the Pokéball.  "He seemed a bit worn out, though.  You're really strong!  We should let him rest for a bit."  As I put the ball in my tote bag, my fingers brush against the ball that the professor gave me.

"Oh!  We still haven't met our new friend!  Come on out, little one!"

I send out Shroomish.

Offline FelyxZephyr

• Honorary Mod
  • I see only Justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 09:50:13 AM »
"Shroomish!"

It announces cheerfully
Magic do what you will

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 09:52:10 AM »
"Aw, you're so cute!"  I happily scoop Shroomish up in my arms.  Everything's going so much better than expected.  I had my first battle, and caught my first Pokémon, and nothing went wrong!

I nuzzle Shroomish happily.

Offline FelyxZephyr

• Honorary Mod
  • I see only Justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 10:02:15 AM »
Your blouse becomes covered in a bright yellow powder as Shroomish nuzzles back

The Powder has a super sweet smell that makes you drowsy, but you shake it off.  Hopefully it won't trigger any allergies~

Magic do what you will