Author Topic: Full spell list  (Read 87145 times)

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
Re: Full spell list
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2013, 05:53:14 PM »
I, at one point, owned every wotc non-adventure hardcopy plus a dozen Rokugan books. I've sold the ones I didn't like when I really needed money. Now I'm down to ~3/4 of them and only a couple Rokugan books

nearly all of the wotc books were bought new, so they got a damn lot of $ out of me

I also currently own 99% of the Dragon and Dungeon mags as hard copies. Nearly all through subscription
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 05:55:18 PM by zook1shoe »
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline JaronK

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2013, 04:56:22 AM »
Btw, is Cheat Death correct?  Because this line keeps cracking me up:

Material Components: An Paladin worth at least 5,000 gp.

Also: The spell list is wrong for the Channeling Mystic Domain, as it has only the 9th level spell.  The full list should read 1 Jump 2 Bear's Endurance 3 Haste 4 Stoneskin 5 Greater Heroism 6 Tenser's Transformation 7 Regenerate 8 Iron Body 9 Diamond Body.

Dread Necromancer is missing entirely from the list (which is odd, because Archivist and a bunch of others are on there).

Earthen Embrace only has a level 7 spell... I'm assuming this is a domain?  But I don't have the book.

Eagle Knight's from Dragon 315, which I don't have.  Is it Arcane or Divine?  Is it a PrC?  Is it part of any setting?  I need that info for my database.

JaronK
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 08:23:04 AM by JaronK »

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Haters gonna hate. Dragons gonna drag.
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2013, 08:06:25 AM »
Exactly ;-)
But posting a full handbook on the boards might not be cool.

I thought about that myself, but here's my take.

1) 3rd edition is dead. WotC killed it when they moved onto 4th. Even more so now that they are making 5th.
2) We're not making money.
3) A handbook includes information as to why individual spells are screwed. Comments as to how to use things and why they suck or are awesome. With luck, WotC will, instead of having a knee jerk response of saying, "Roll Out The Lawyers!" will take the time to read the handbook and say, "Hey, wait a sec... is THAT what we were doing wrong?

They claim that D&D Next is "We are going to listen to you this time. No. REALLY!"

Okay, here's your chance. I've made a handbook about every single spell in a defunct system you arn't even supporting anymore. Loot my handbook for useful ideas and make D&D next as awesome as you claim it will be.

I suppose I should bring it up now...

That is my only problem with the OP's work. It's just a reprint. I didn't find anything new. Now, that said, nothing I did was that new. I stole 99% of the comments that I added to my handbook. I admit it. But I did contribute 1%. I DID add some excellent examples and suggestions. I did try to expand on the spell entries and point out problems and wonderful combinations.

Maybe I just didn't look deep enough into OP's file, because I just kinda skimmed it. But there are plenty of Compilations out there. Stormseeker's jumps out at me. God bless that OCD SOB. My goal in all my nutty work is to say, "Here's what's awesome. Here's what's sucks. Here's why." Maybe I'm just howling in the darkness, but I'm hoping that someone somewhere will read what I've done and say, "You know, he's right. We can do this better."

And as I've said before, take my work and loot it. Splice my notes into yours. I don't WANT credit. I want a better mouse trap. I will admit, OP's work is impressive. Much more extensive than mine. But I got spells already. New 3rd party is fine, but I don't need them.

I'd like to have a big chart that lists every possible scroll in a random table. I'd like to have a file I can stick into my CrystalBall program and have it spit out random Scrolls/Wands/Potions for me. Sticking the Spell lists into CB was a huge project in and of itself. I don't have time for the random tables.

I guess my point is, I love the work. It's a good start. Now let's DO something with the data. I was talking about 3.M on another thread. THAT would be cool. Everyone in the board grabs a letter and ever spell with that letter get's researched and fleshed out like how I was doing on my "What can you do with..." thread. That would be awesome.
If you have questions about 3.5 D&D, you might want to look at the:
Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis

Currently: Podcasting

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2013, 02:58:40 PM »
Thanks, this is really just the start. But some good suggestions. :)

Later, I'll do something that involves recommendations, spells to look for, spells that need a power cut (symbol of lycanthropy).

I also am working on some spell lists where its as they are laid out in the PHB. I hope to organize them further by subschool (creation, figment, etc)
- All Spells
- playground

Offline JaronK

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2013, 03:10:48 PM »
I'm popping out so many notes because of the database a friend and I are working on.  It's getting really close to complete.  Right now we're organizing classes so that you should be able to do things like "generate a random divine scroll, third level.  Our game is set in Faerun, and Wizards are extra common" and get an item that way.  Likewise you could do things like "I'm playing a Shadowcraft Mage... I want a list of all 4th level Sorcerer/Wizard spells that are Conjuration Creation, Conjuration Summoning, and Evocation, which have expensive component costs or long casting times."

JaronK

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2013, 03:20:06 PM »
Yeah?
- All Spells
- playground

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2013, 09:45:55 PM »
I see entries from a source called "Divine Masters" but I don't even see this book on Amazon. Is it canon?

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2013, 02:40:27 AM »
Yeah, I went through every non-WotC book to check for the license or logo.
- All Spells
- playground

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2013, 12:34:14 PM »
Yeah, I went through every non-WotC book to check for the license or logo.

it's one of the official Kingdoms of Kalamar books. their site has the details. so does rpg.net.

database (or at least text) version of v2, please?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:45:49 PM by nijineko »

Offline JaronK

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2013, 01:06:31 PM »
By the way, a few spells are listed as being cast by "Sinker".  What is that?  I can't find anything on that.

JaronK

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2013, 02:17:37 PM »
its a dragon mag PrC in #287, pg50

@nijineko.... updated my original post for those
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 02:26:30 PM by zook1shoe »
- All Spells
- playground

Offline JaronK

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2013, 02:27:29 PM »
Thanks.  What about the Son of Mercy?  I thought it would be in that same Dragon but I'm not seeing it.  Also thrown by the Spelldancer... is it a variant of the Spellsinger?

JaronK

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2013, 02:43:05 PM »
Son of Mercy Dr#339, pg60

as for the Spelldancer... it might be the Spellsinger instead.

i probably should put a index of what each class/PrC/domain is from

EDIT: yeah, i'm pretty sure its the Spellsinger
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 02:51:01 PM by zook1shoe »
- All Spells
- playground

Offline JaronK

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2013, 03:16:38 PM »
I've actually almost finished my list of where everything's from (though admittedly I have all Dragons lumped together). 

Also, I need to know the same for the Totemic Demonslayer... it's a PrC and not tied to a setting, right?  I know it's in some Dragon I can't get to.

JaronK

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2013, 05:31:57 PM »
I've actually almost finished my list of where everything's from (though admittedly I have all Dragons lumped together). 

Also, I need to know the same for the Totemic Demonslayer... it's a PrC and not tied to a setting, right?  I know it's in some Dragon I can't get to.

JaronK

tried the internet archive recently? every dragon mag went online there. i wonder if they are still there....

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2013, 05:58:14 PM »

JaronK

tried the internet archive recently? every dragon mag went online there. i wonder if they are still there....
If they are, I'd love a link.

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2013, 06:40:40 PM »
KoK (like ravenloft) lost theirs, but not to beat a dead horse. Better too much than too little. Italicizing the source might be helpful, though.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2013, 08:36:42 PM »
Most people don't know that, as long as they have the logo, most DMs won't question it (if they're already allowing those sorts of things)

I was thinking about coloring 3.0 sources one color, 3.5 another, FR another, Eberron another, and so on. But this would just be the spell name and/or source part only
- All Spells
- playground

Offline JaronK

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2013, 09:15:25 PM »
Ack, don't do color!  Text only man, text only!

And no, I couldn't find the appropriate stuff online, that's why I asked.  It's one of the very few classes I haven't labeled yet.

JaronK

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2013, 12:29:39 AM »
Yeah, I guess color is more power related
- All Spells
- playground