Author Topic: It's time to sports!  (Read 48575 times)

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
Re: It's time to sports!
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2012, 08:36:08 AM »
Yeah you better pull for Boston.  They're my only team left.  After that it's just a bunch of teams I absolutely do not want to win.  Out of my top 5 least favorite teams (to the point where I actively want them to lose), 3 of them are in: New York, LA, and Philly.  And then Phoenix entered in as an honorary member after game 3.  So yeah, in the west, St. Louis is the only one I'm rooting for, and in the east, I've got Boston (hopefully getting the cup), Florida, and Ottawa still to take care of the others.

I'm not necessarily for Vancouver (they're my top pick from that division, but I'm not a big fan), but I hate LA a LOT more.  I am for Pittsburgh though.  I've always been a fan of that city's clubs.  Chicago's one of my top 3 cities: Boston, Chicago, and San Fransisco (San Jose is close enough).  I guess Pittsburgh's always been my number 4.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:37:42 AM by dman11235 »
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline Tshern

• The Clown Prince of Crime
  • DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2012, 08:43:25 AM »
I don't have a favourite per se, that changes as the teams and their tactics change. For the last few years I have enjoyed Boston's game, so they might be my favourite at the moment, but I also enjoy watching Philadelphia, although Pronger's absence sucks.

I do agree though that Chicago is a neat city. Too bad I can't afford to make a new visit for a while.
Pian unohtuu aika ja tila
Ja nahkapeitto ja syyllisyys
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2012, 11:27:25 AM »
Chicago's one of the few big cities that I actually like.  It's got some neat sites, great food and music, and a pretty neat atmosphere.

Yeah, I guess being from not North America would kind of put a damper on having a proximity based favorite team.....
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2012, 01:29:04 PM »
Chicago's one of the few big cities that I actually like.  It's got some neat sites, great food and music, and a pretty neat atmosphere.

Yeah, I guess being from not North America would kind of put a damper on having a proximity based favorite team.....
In icehockey, I've always had just one favourite team and its that of my hometown. It's not just proximity though, I genuinely like their dedication to their junior programme, game philosophy and the players they put out. Koivu brothers are both from that team, so is Miikka Kiprusoff and while he did not start there, it's the place where Kimmo Timonen earned his stripes before heading out to the world.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2012, 10:06:35 PM »
So I'm not one to play into sports curses/conspiracy theories except for fun, but I cannot stand the officiating in this Nashville/Phoenix game.  I'm not normally a fan of Nashville (again, Chicago fan, so I hate them) but I'm temporarily a fan for the sake of getting rid of Phoenix.  Now: Pekka Rinne: gets knocked over by a Coyote, no call, puck in the net (any other time a goalie is even touched?  Penalty, automatically).  Predator: checks someone against the glass, in the shoulder while he has the puck leaving him, gets called for boarding (this one was on the fence, so it's more opinion however).  Now, don't get me wrong, Nashville should be losing right now, but only by 1 (the other 3 goals?  Clean, if weird in two cases).  And they should have won the first game, but that's a bit more subjective as well, I mean, playing the first 90% of the third period in the Phoenix zone with no goal, and about 20835928356 chances that just should have gone in?  That's wrong man.  But yeah, this Phoenix power is getting ridiculous.  They are the only team owned by the NHL, so if they end up taking the cup?  I'm going to be concerned, and again, I don't normally take to conspiracy theories.

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2012, 07:07:06 AM »
I wonder what the fuck happened to Rinne. He'd better pick up the pace.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2012, 12:47:44 AM »
I reiterate: Mike Smith is the luckiest SOB in the world right now.  He managed to "stop" three goals against an empty net?  Really?  Avoids a penalty for punching a guy in the back of the head?  His entire performance is a joke, he's just lucky and has great (lucky) defensemen in front of him.  I honestly think that with a greater volume of clean shots on him Phoenix would lose easily.  Well, let's see how this plays out: best goalie in the league vs the luckiest.  Team that managed to outplay the top two seeds in the west (including the top team in the league) by a long shot vs the team that lucked and hurt people into the championship.

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2012, 05:12:06 AM »
Philadelphia, what the fuck?

At least the IIHF World Championship games are going as expected. Finland continues undefeated.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2012, 07:14:58 AM »

Seriously...

In other news, who'd be up for a Minmax Fantasy Football league this fall?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2012, 07:21:41 AM »
Four home runs in a single game, Josh Hamilton?  Really?
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

shugenja handbook; talk about it here

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2012, 02:35:47 PM »

Seriously...

Like real football or the funny stuff Americans do?
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2012, 04:31:15 PM »

Seriously...

Like real football or the funny stuff Americans do?
I suspect he means the one with the oblong ball, helmet and shoulderpads.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

shugenja handbook; talk about it here

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2012, 04:47:15 PM »
If that is the case, my tentative interest is withdrawn.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2012, 02:10:08 PM »
World championship games of ice hockey continue. Russia, unsurprisingly wrestled Norway out of the tournament and Slovakia had me flabbergasted by dropping Canada. Best of all, Finland gave an example of the kind of fighting spirit that won us the gold medal last year by making the 3-2 difference less than then second before the end. Goodbye, USA, you played well.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2012, 05:16:02 PM »
We almost lost to Kazakhstan.  Not our year....

So Finland pulled a Chicago move there?  Nice.

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2012, 08:27:26 PM »
We almost lost to Kazakhstan.  Not our year....

So Finland pulled a Chicago move there?  Nice.
On Sunday the US beat Finland 5-0. Granted, Finland played so sluggishly I was wondering if the players were feverish or something.

But yeah, from 2-1 to 2-3 in less than five minutes. Mikko Koivu made the equaliser like a good captain should.

The Czech Republic dropped Sweden, which was a surprise. So the remaining pairs are as follows: 1. Finland vs Russia, 2. Czech Republic vs Slovakia. I do not look forward to facing Datsyuk, Malkin, Semin, Ovechkin and the rest. Last year we won them twice though, the latter game was the semifinal, and we won 3-0. Here's the first goal of that game, made by a 19-year-old, who's about to start in Minnesota next season. That is something you just don't do at that age, against Russia or in the semifinals and definitely not when all three criteria are met.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 09:01:33 PM by Tshern »
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2012, 10:14:59 AM »
Alright, Fantasy (american) Football is open for business, so I've created a league that anyone is welcome to join.

League: Basketweavers
Password: minmax

I currently have the max teams set at 12.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2012, 12:26:21 PM »
You know, one thing people talking about the call last night seem to be forgetting about is that the refs could not, from their angles, see where the ball was.  Were I a gambling man, I'd bet that they talked about it and came to the conclusion that it was a simultaneous catch because that is exactly what it looked like in real time from field level.  It's only until you look at the replay from a different angle than the refs had that it becomes apparent that it was not a simultaneous catch, and that aspect of the play is not reviewable, so there was nothing they could do to overturn it.  I'd also bet that if that aspect of the play was reviewable, the call would have been overturned.  So what you should really be talking about is the reviewing policy.

Offline dipolartech

• Handy Haversack anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2012, 12:30:39 PM »
And what people should really be talking about is something that matters more than "replacement refs" because besides the fact of its just an expensive fantasy fulfillment industry at this point, none of these descriptions of how bad the "replacement refs" are any different qualitatively nor quantitatively than lasts years talks about the "refs"

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2012, 12:35:41 PM »
They should be talking about this, you're right.

Normally, however, the "refs suck" talk is not that big.  This time, it's big.  Really big.  Game deciding big.  Normally, they just sometimes influence the flow of a game at most.  This year, so far I could count up at least 5 games I have watched that almost certainly would have turned out differently had the regular refs been here.  The refs can't get everything, so I can excuse some of the bad calls in the past, but a lot of these ones happen in front of the refs and are so blatant that normally the players would just line up at the correct spot post-penatly, even the team that was penalized.