Author Topic: Full spell list  (Read 87185 times)

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
Re: Full spell list
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2013, 04:45:30 AM »
It would be super mega awesome if you could list spells by level spell list at the beginning of the book, so you could do things like look up all 3rd level Cleric spells in one place.  Bonus points if you felt like separating by school, but that would be even farther beyond the call of duty.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Rebel7284

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »
It would be super mega awesome if you could enter the spells into a database, so you could do things like look up all 3rd level Cleric spells in one place.  Bonus points if you felt like separating by school, but that would be even farther beyond the call of duty.
Fixed that for you.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2013, 01:17:14 PM »
Well I'm nearly done w the Sor/Wiz one in the standard short list
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2013, 06:36:27 PM »
It would be super mega awesome if you could enter the spells into a database, so you could do things like look up all 3rd level Cleric spells in one place.  Bonus points if you felt like separating by school, but that would be even farther beyond the call of duty.
Fixed that for you.

that's what i was getting at in my comments. need database compatible format. so you can search by characteristics.

Offline JaronK

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2013, 10:15:15 PM »
I'm almost there on that, actually.

JaronK

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2013, 10:35:04 PM »
Here's some fun ones...

Initiative, Surprise, Elongation, Good Luck, Symbol of Lycanthrope
- All Spells
- playground

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2013, 11:15:10 PM »
I am astonished at the sheer amount of work you have put into this.  Kudos.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2013, 11:20:28 PM »
Thank you :) yeah took ~3 years on and off
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Haters gonna hate. Dragons gonna drag.
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2013, 10:13:13 AM »
It would be super mega awesome if you could list spells by level spell list at the beginning of the book, so you could do things like look up all 3rd level Cleric spells in one place.  Bonus points if you felt like separating by school, but that would be even farther beyond the call of duty.

In my list I wanted to hypertext the whole thing, but I got bored. Might I suggest splicing on my spell list and then going through and manually adding in the other spells from other sources. My spell list is complete, but only for "official" spells. If you'd like the original Word file, toss me a PM.
If you have questions about 3.5 D&D, you might want to look at the:
Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis

Currently: Podcasting

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Haters gonna hate. Dragons gonna drag.
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2013, 10:15:05 AM »
As a side note, one of these days I'm going to start making my X Handbooks, where X is a given class. The handbook will contain every spell they can cast by level.
If you have questions about 3.5 D&D, you might want to look at the:
Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis

Currently: Podcasting

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2013, 10:51:09 AM »
This should help ;)
- All Spells
- playground

Offline JaronK

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2013, 05:28:33 PM »
Mass Cure Light Wounds is listed as Emissary of Barachiel 1.  It's not though... that spell isn't even on their list.

JaronK

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2013, 02:09:24 AM »
1) the OP, CaptnQ, Maat, Nij, and JaronK need to keep this cross-mojination going. Heck yea. Keep it coming!
As a side note, one of these days I'm going to start making my X Handbooks, where X is a given class. The handbook will contain every spell they can cast by level.
Well once the lists are merged in a database, it should be easy to query those (full text) then separate it out to the posting limit and post into the appropriate handbook. Feel free to check against my casting class index too.

2) Thanks for combing through for good spells JK. I often have difficulty finding spells that are "a cut above the rest" oddly enough. Sure there are a lot of good ones and a few broken ones. But finding useful ones I actually want to prepare is often a challenge.

Offline JohnnyMayHymn

• Former Lord of the Kitchen Sink
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2013, 03:00:41 AM »
I'm almost there on that, actually.

JaronK
if there is anything to be done on the database side or code related let me know, i do that kind of stuff for a living and would be glad to help out
The Emperor
Can you find the Wumpus?

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2013, 03:03:31 AM »
1) the OP, CaptnQ, Maat, Nij, and JaronK need to keep this cross-mojination going. Heck yea. Keep it coming!
Well once the lists are merged in a database, it should be easy to query those (full text) then separate it out to the posting limit and post into the appropriate handbook. Feel free to check against my casting class index too.

Would doing that get the boards in legal trouble?  Posting copyrighted content and whatnot.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2013, 03:04:50 AM »
I didn't post it here... Just a small link to somewhere else  :flutter
- All Spells
- playground

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2013, 03:13:27 AM »
Exactly ;-)
But posting a full handbook on the boards might not be cool. 

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2013, 05:20:48 AM »
The following spells have “0-9” listed as their level for a class: call faithful servants, call undead VI, celestial blood, chasing perfection, cloud of Achaierai, cold snap, cometfall, consecrate battlefield, corpsebond, create undead, crown of brilliance, cutting hand, quickshift, and zap trap. 

The following spells have “0-6” listed as their level for a class: dispel slumber, lessons of the crab, sense spirit, and stone metamorphosis. 

The following spells have an extra comma in the level line: astral projection, blood drinker, chain dispel, crown of flame, dragonwise, and summon monster VI. 

The following spells are missing a comma on the level line: blood drinker, chain dispel, curse contagion, death grimace, destruction, disinter, holy word, mummify, silken grasp, summon monster V, and summon monster VIII. 

Allergen has just “3” in between “chameleon 3” and “deathwalker 3.” 

Heart of air is listed as “wu jen (general).”  I think all the other general wu jen spells are listed as just “wu jen.” 

Winds of aggression is listed as belonging to the “invocation” school. 

Flamebound weapon doesn't list any school. 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 05:27:42 AM by Maat Mons »

Offline JaronK

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2013, 07:36:24 AM »
First, where's the Builder domain from?  I couldn't get a source for that.

More notes:

Cloistered Cleric is missing from the list, and should be on there (it has its own spells that are different from the Cleric list, and if Arcane Insight is on there then CC certainly should be!).

Beastmaster is a Prestige Domain. The all spells list is wrong... it has 9 spells in it, not 2.  They are Animal Friendship, Beastmask, Animal Trance, Bear's Heart, Animal Growth, Summon Nature's Ally III, Animal Shapes, Summon Nature's Ally V, and Shapechange, in that order.  The current list only has the level 2 and level 4 spells listed as Beastmaster spells.

You have Bladesinger spells listed, but when the Bladesinger was updated to 3.5 they lost their casting (now they just improve the existing casting).  So those really should be removed.

Anyway, that's all the notes for now...

JaronK

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2013, 11:30:54 AM »
Exactly ;-)
But posting a full handbook on the boards might not be cool.

if the only thing posted publicly is a listing of what spells are on what classes' list, along with the short one-liner description, then it wouldn't be a problem.

as for a full database, that is the sort of thing that could be privately shared amongst members of a gaming group, assuming that at least one person, or a combination of all the people in the 'group', have actual hardcopies of the all the source materials.

mmb is pretty much a big gaming group, we're all here to help each other out and find out how to make (or deal with) various rules combinations; i'm fairly sure that between all of us we have all the hardcopies (i have more than half, myself), and so long as we keep it for private use, and not spam it across open torrents and fileshare dumps and the like, wotc may consider it within the bounds of fair use. having given my opinion, however, i'm not a lawyer nor legally trained.