Author Topic: Artisan crafting  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Elitepanther45

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Artisan crafting
« on: May 29, 2020, 07:02:55 PM »
Hey there I was recently told for our "crafting campaign"  where we all have to take crafting classes in pathfinder till at least lvl 10 (I'm planning to run along the class to 20) I chose artisan https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/drop-dead-studios/the-artisan/#TOC-Crafter-s-Art-Ex-

Long story short I was thinking that my caster level (ie my artisan class level  )  is the TIER   of spells I could cast, instead my dm tells me that my caster level is essentially the level of whatever class I'm using the spell from

Ie the spell remove curse is tier 4 for wizards/sorcerers but tier 3 for bards,  bards get access to tier 3 spells at level 7 and  wizards at level 7 ,but sorcerers get it at 9th level!

I was wondering if anyone knew any classes that get high spell tiers at low levels so I can pull all sorts of hijinks

Any class off of the same site works! I'm scanning through all the classes now but it dosen't hurt to ask!

"If your not creating your not playing right"

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Rolling a boulder up a hill
    • View Profile
Re: Artisan crafting
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 08:00:32 PM »
You're playing with a lot of 3rd party content. I don't really have a comment on that. But yes, caster levels aren't the same as spell levels.

Wizards get access to 4th level spells at level 7, btw. Bards get access to 3rd level spells at level 7. Sorcerers get access to 4th levels at level 8. Every class has a spell progression table you can look at. If you're looking to get access to spell levels as fast as possible, you want to be a prepared 9th level caster (ie. Shaman, Cleric, Druid, Witch, or Wizard). I'd probably recommend playing a Cleric or Wizard. Also, I don't think your campaign will last all the way to level 20. That would be a very long campaign and almost no one goes to levels that high because the game is just plain broken at high levels (it's broken at low levels too, but it takes slightly more effort to do it). I assume your GM is mostly expecting you to craft magic items, rather than craft mundane items, as the craft skill rules are pretty bad in Pathfinder.

On a side note, poor writing habits (like poor punctuation, excessive spacing, mistaking "your" for "you're," improper tense usage, and misspellings) don't exactly endear people to requests.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 10:56:46 AM »
You might want to check the Crafting Handbook here on these forums. Lots of quality guidance already gathered in one place there for you. In the appropriately named Handbook section of the forums.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 06:19:20 PM »
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 09:17:37 AM »
this one?

is that a doc version of bastians? if so, then yeah. I thought there was a handbook thread copy of it somewhere, but that should be findable with a search.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 09:18:48 PM »
There are three crafting handbooks listed here under the Items and Equipment section.