Author Topic: X Stat to Y Bonus Discussion Thread  (Read 119368 times)

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
Re: X Stat to Y Bonus Discussion Thread
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2012, 03:13:10 PM »
You got two of them mixed up. The AC/CMD one is listed as Heavens, Sidestep Secret, while the Wis checks one is listed as Nature, Guiding Star.
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2012, 06:07:56 PM »
I hate coding these tables.   :banghead

Fixed again.  Did I mess anything else up or are we good now?

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2012, 06:28:48 PM »
Broken code on the Paladin 2 ability under Cha (presumably, Divine Grace).

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2012, 06:57:01 PM »
Picky picky.   :p

Fixed.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2012, 07:00:50 PM »
You used a font I don't like
Looks fine now.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2012, 10:06:50 PM »
You used a font I don't like
Looks fine now.

:lmao

Offline Cagemarrow

• New to the new boards
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2012, 04:49:46 PM »
Is carrying capacity ever listed as a str check anywhere? It'd be nice for a factotum build I'm working on. Shapesand is heavy.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2012, 04:52:17 PM »

Offline Cagemarrow

• New to the new boards
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2012, 08:12:22 AM »
That's what I thought but I figured I'd ask since there's people on here that know a lot more of the little details than I do.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2012, 08:42:37 AM »
Basically, to be a Strength check, it has to fulfill two conditions:
One, it must be a d20 roll.
Two, it must be based (only) on your Strength modifier (plus miscellaneous bonuses).
Or, more strictly, it must be specifically called out as a Strength check (this would be the RAW, the two conditions listed before are useful for the mythic "common sense houserules").
Carrying capacity fulfills none of these (it's based on your full Strength score, not your modifier).

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2012, 02:24:36 PM »
side question... regarding your description, how do you recommend one to tell if the non-existent someone with whom one is conversing is not actually the one who exists and that ones' self is the one who does not exist?

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2012, 02:28:29 PM »
side question... regarding your description, how do you recommend one to tell if the non-existent someone with whom one is conversing is not actually the one who exists and that ones' self is the one who does not exist?

Start drinking until the tequila monster shows up, and ask him.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2012, 02:33:47 PM »
heh. alcohol is not a recourse available to me. but thanks for trying. ^^ any other suggestions?

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2012, 02:40:09 PM »
heh. alcohol is not a recourse available to me. but thanks for trying. ^^ any other suggestions?
Use Cartesian logic and declare that you think, therefore you must exist, while the existence of your opposite is uncertain.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2012, 02:55:28 PM »
yet by the logic of the period of the "hundred schools of thought" as typified by the comments of chuang cho (zhuang zhou):

Once upon a time, I, Chuang Chou, dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly. I was conscious only of my happiness as a butterfly, unaware that I was Chou. Soon I awaked, and there I was, veritably myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.
    * How do I know that enjoying life is not a delusion? How do I know that in hating death we are not like people who got lost in early childhood and do not know the way home? Lady Li was the child of a border guard in Ai. When first captured by the state of Jin, she wept so much her clothes were soaked. But after she entered the palace, shared the king's bed, and dined on the finest meats, she regretted her tears. How do I know that the dead do not regret their previous longing for life? One who dreams of drinking wine may in the morning weep; one who dreams weeping may in the morning go out to hunt. During our dreams we do not know we are dreaming. We may even dream of interpreting a dream. Only on waking do we know it was a dream. Only after the great awakening will we realize that this is the great dream. And yet fools think they are awake, presuming to know that they are rulers or herdsmen. How dense! You and Confucius are both dreaming, and I who say you are a dream am also a dream. Such is my tale. It will probably be called preposterous, but after ten thousand generations there may be a great sage who will be able to explain it, a trivial interval equivalent to the passage from morning to night.

...cartesian logic cannot answer the question of dreaming that one is thinking. After all:

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words. Where can I find someone who's forgotten words so I can have a word with him?...

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2012, 03:30:39 PM »
and back on topic: the Master of the Unseen Hand needs to be added to the Other and/or CHA section of the handbook, as it allows not only the use of CHA to Telekinesis instead of INT, it also allows Psionics to benefit from the class abilities due to how it is worded.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 04:05:16 PM by nijineko »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2012, 04:13:21 PM »
and back on topic: the Master of the Unseen Hand needs to be added to the Other and/or CHA section of the handbook, as it allows not only the use of CHA to Telekinesis instead of INT, it also allows Psionics to benefit from the class abilities due to how it is worded.

Added to Other because it can be Int or Cha.
I'm not putting the psionics benefit because it is beyond the scope of this guide, but good catch anyway.

Also, thanks for getting back on topic.   :P

Offline estradus

• Lurker
  • Preparing for mad science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2012, 01:40:36 PM »
To what extent are weird 3rd party books allowed in this? I've got a few...

The Ceptu race in Oathbound: Realms of the Forge can use int for their attack and damage rolls with melee weapons instead of strength, though can use charisma with weapon finesse. (they use a weird extremely simple telekinesis and thus hold melee weapons with their mind). I have to talk about this book whenever I get a chance because anything that considers a race of giant floating telekinetic jellyfish to be a normal player race (listed under the races chapter, only has +1 la, etc...) needs more love then its getting. There is also a pathfinder edition of this book, so the race can be added to that list as well.

In the Warcraft Rpg - Horde Guide there is a pair of feats for undead: Mind Over Matter allows undead to add their charisma to their hit points in place of constitution, and a sequel feat named Mental Stamina lets them use charisma for everything that they would normally use con, including fort saves, barbarian rages, breath weapon dcs, etc.

In the D20 modern rpg, the Int hero base class can add their int to attack rolls in place of strength or dex against one opponent for the rest of combat if they make a dc 15 int check (minimum possible level to get this is 3) and the feild scientist presteige class can, at first level, add their int bonus to ac, though they loose it if they would be denied dexterity.

The most questionable set of sources I have is the varied "Complete" guides that Goodman Games have produced; with rules like "drow liches have d20 hit dice" and "beholders get along quite well, building empires of 800 different specialty beholders to take over the world with" so of all my sources these are the ones that shouldn't be included in probably any list, but in their guide to fey they have a series of races and classes intended to be made into any basic fey from like the monster manual. To this end, there are a couple of feats (can only be taken by fey) meant to replicate the abilities of like nymphs and stuff; Unearthly Grace adds their charisma as a bonus to all saves, while Unearthly Luck grants it as a bonus to armor class.

This is just a "abilities I remember off the top of my head" list, but I can do a thourough search of my sources if theres any interest in this at all; I'm sure this list will be more useful and fun to produce then my last couple lists, which include "all outsiders ranked by challenge rating" and "every advanced material for armor/weapons" (both of which are a little outdated at the moment, but I could upload if anyone wanted them and could tell me where would be a good place to do such a thing.)

Edit: I don't have access to my copy of Oathbound at the moment and I only have the srd for the d20 rulebooks so I don't have page numbers for those. The ones regarding undead and charisma are in the Horde Player's Guide, both on page 34; and even though I shouldn't be acknowledging its existence the last ones I mentioned (the ones for fey) are page 45 in The Complete Guide to Fey.

Also, Masters of the Wild, a proper, not 3rd party dnd book has a variant on page 18 for letting barbarians use strength on intimidate checks.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 02:12:35 PM by estradus »

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2012, 03:02:46 PM »
I'm sure this list will be more useful and fun to produce then my last couple lists, which include "all outsiders ranked by challenge rating" and "every advanced material for armor/weapons" (both of which are a little outdated at the moment, but I could upload if anyone wanted them and could tell me where would be a good place to do such a thing.)

I'd be interested in a special material list.  This is currently the best link I have for that.  I'm a fan of putting such lists in the handbook section. 

Also, Masters of the Wild, a proper, not 3rd party dnd book has a variant on page 18 for letting barbarians use strength on intimidate checks.

Which reminds me, dread tyranny (Races of Destiny, p154) adds strength to intimidate on top of charisma. 

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2012, 03:36:43 PM »
I'm including no third-party material.  I'm on the fence about unupdated 3.0.

I'll get Dread Tyranny in when I get home from work.   :)