Author Topic: Crystal Mage [base] (Magipunk)  (Read 27458 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: Crystal Mage [base] (Magipunk)
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2012, 08:41:06 PM »
You can co-opt my post if you want.

Thanks for the offer, but I'll just post one down here somewhere and link to it.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2012, 09:01:01 PM »
I've been rereading the thread. I'm going to reiterate my suggestion of having an eldritch blast-like crystal you can shoot (or more 1st level spell slots, but crystal shots are cooler). Probably in place of the reserve feat you mentioned above if the crystal spells angle doesn't work out. Low level spells are still very limited, and none of the other Magipunk classes are nearly as limited. Almost everyone else has at will or per encounter abilities. Among those that don't, a 1st level Medic has 4 1st level spells, a battlefield treatment, and armor to fall back on. Even a Mentalist will have 3-4 PP at level 1 and an alternate attack through Mindspike at level 2+. (No, I don't count cantrips, even though the Medic's Cure Minor Wounds will have actual healing though Healing Hands. Much like a crossbow, cantrips just don't do enough.) Powerbard has a similar problem at level 1 (though it solves itself by level 2), and I don't know the Artificer paradigm well enough to speak about Magitechnicians (comparing the xp cost of scrolls to the craft reserve and the expected number of days to gain a level looks like they should be okay).

Also, needs a feat to stack Crystal Mage and Holomancer levels for... stuff. Crystalline Lensing for the name? Or a PrC if you don't want a feat.

Edit: Forgot the Divhead. There you have enough uses of your ability, it's just that the ability itself leaves much to be desired. Trying to compose my thoughts on that in the thread (post to come soon).

Edit 2: Probably gonna be bugging you about low level Psykins, too.
Also, I hadn't realized how many of the classes are actually based on per day abilities.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:37:48 PM by Garryl »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2012, 10:01:02 AM »
I've been rereading the thread. I'm going to reiterate my suggestion of having an eldritch blast-like crystal you can shoot (or more 1st level spell slots, but crystal shots are cooler). Probably in place of the reserve feat you mentioned above if the crystal spells angle doesn't work out. Low level spells are still very limited, and none of the other Magipunk classes are nearly as limited. Almost everyone else has at will or per encounter abilities. Among those that don't, a 1st level Medic has 4 1st level spells, a battlefield treatment, and armor to fall back on. Even a Mentalist will have 3-4 PP at level 1 and an alternate attack through Mindspike at level 2+. (No, I don't count cantrips, even though the Medic's Cure Minor Wounds will have actual healing though Healing Hands. Much like a crossbow, cantrips just don't do enough.) Powerbard has a similar problem at level 1 (though it solves itself by level 2), and I don't know the Artificer paradigm well enough to speak about Magitechnicians (comparing the xp cost of scrolls to the craft reserve and the expected number of days to gain a level looks like they should be okay).
My only problem with that is I would want to integrate it into the class and expand on it, but this already has a bunch of class features.  Maybe make it an ACF and swap for the Embedded Crystals?

Or..... maybe just make Crystal Warrior the paradigm, and go full-on gish?  I dunno.  The more I monkey with stuff like that, the more this becomes less of the Wizard replacement I wanted it to be.

Also, needs a feat to stack Crystal Mage and Holomancer levels for... stuff. Crystalline Lensing for the name? Or a PrC if you don't want a feat.
Yeah, that was one of my PrC ideas I hadn't written anything down about yet.

For the spell list... what should be on it?  I'd rather have less in the overlap department... so that means reducing divinations (DivHead/Mentalist) and illusions (Holomancer).  There should certainly be conjurations (including a bunch of new crystal-themed versions of other spells), and transmutations & abjurations to support gishing.  I'm not sure about necromancy.

But I also probably shouldn't just pull every spell of the appropriate school... any guidelines for this?

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2012, 12:03:54 PM »
Just remember that Magitechnicians also get every spell ever, so if you don't include a spell, it'll still exist in the setting.

If you add a reserve feat-like crystal blast, it's already integrated into the class. There are already class features that feel like an upgrade of such an ability. If the crystal blast thing is a small expenditure of magical energy, then Storm of Shards is a major expenditure of magical energy (enough to actually eat a spell slot).

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2013, 04:04:20 PM »
OK, major revisions to the class have been perpetrated.  I'd like to expand the geode list, so let me know if you have any ideas.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2013, 05:11:11 PM »
At present, metamagic appears to be free. That, or impossible, I'm not sure which. Each spell is 1/day, regardless of how you cast it, but you also don't have spell slots to use for the increased spell slot level. On the other hand, metamagicked spells use a spell slot of x levels higher than normal, and you just don't use spell slots at all.

I still don't see why the need for such a deviation from the normal mechanics, and the headaches it may impose. This change also switches the Crystal Mage from a Wizard-equivalent to a Sorcerer-equivalent (few spells known, many per day). Actually, now that I think of it, it most reminds me of the Shadowcaster (with the common fix of bonus mystery uses for high stats), just with more spells/mysteries. It's the worst parts of both spontaneous casting (limited spell options) and prepared casting (specific daily uses of each spell is chosen in advance).

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2013, 05:22:34 PM »
At present, metamagic appears to be free. That, or impossible, I'm not sure which. Each spell is 1/day, regardless of how you cast it, but you also don't have spell slots to use for the increased spell slot level. On the other hand, metamagicked spells use a spell slot of x levels higher than normal, and you just don't use spell slots at all.

I still don't see why the need for such a deviation from the normal mechanics, and the headaches it may impose. This change also switches the Crystal Mage from a Wizard-equivalent to a Sorcerer-equivalent (few spells known, many per day). Actually, now that I think of it, it most reminds me of the Shadowcaster (with the common fix of bonus mystery uses for high stats), just with more spells/mysteries. It's the worst parts of both spontaneous casting (limited spell options) and prepared casting (specific daily uses of each spell is chosen in advance).

Hm.  I forgot about metamagic.  And I see what you mean... but I also like the idea of the geodes...

How about I put back in a spells/day table?  And geodes determine spells known?  I can increase the number of geodes you get, to make it more wizardly...

What would Geode Focus do in that case?  Increase CL & DC?

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2013, 05:34:03 PM »
What did whatever the class feature that was there before Geode Focus do?

Here's a thought. What if instead of knowing geodes and preparing spells, you prepared your geodes and then knew all of their spells for the day? Optionally, you could even go with spontaneous casting from said prepared geode list, thus removing prepared casting entirely from Magipunk. I have no idea if this is a good idea or not, just putting it out there.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2013, 08:48:59 AM »
What did whatever the class feature that was there before Geode Focus do?
A complicated question, but the main perp was Embed Crystal, which turned one spell of each level (spread out) into a 1/day SLA.

Here's a thought. What if instead of knowing geodes and preparing spells, you prepared your geodes and then knew all of their spells for the day? Optionally, you could even go with spontaneous casting from said prepared geode list, thus removing prepared casting entirely from Magipunk. I have no idea if this is a good idea or not, just putting it out there.
Hm, I like that idea.  Honestly I'm not overly attached to prepared casting.

EDIT: So.  I'll need a spells per day table.  Should I go with the original progression?  More wizardly or sorcererly?  Also, should it just be "choose X geodes to prepare", or should there also be a "you know X geodes" progression?  What should the amount be?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 10:01:13 AM by sirpercival »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2013, 05:16:40 PM »
You can go either way for both per day and known. It's sort of a fixed list caster at this point. Don't be too restrictive, though. If you go with only a limited number of geodes known, make sure you can add on more geodes for cash (and without breaking the bank). For example, if you start with 5 geodes known, and add 1/level thereafter, with more learnable comparable to how Wizards learn spells, that would be okay. If you keep the list of geodes more limited, simply knowing all of them should be fine, too, but it's more likely to run into problems with future expansion.

I'd suggest 2-3 geodes prepared at 1st level, scaling up to 5-8 by level 20. Not a clue if that's enough or too much, though, just numbers that feel like they should be right-ish.

For learning new geodes, how about a new magic item that's a cross between spellcrystals and staffs? You could learn whole geodes from them, or partial geodes from individual spellcrystals (granting you knowledge of a partial geode containing only the spells you've learned from it).

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2013, 04:25:48 PM »
You can go either way for both per day and known. It's sort of a fixed list caster at this point. Don't be too restrictive, though. If you go with only a limited number of geodes known, make sure you can add on more geodes for cash (and without breaking the bank). For example, if you start with 5 geodes known, and add 1/level thereafter, with more learnable comparable to how Wizards learn spells, that would be okay. If you keep the list of geodes more limited, simply knowing all of them should be fine, too, but it's more likely to run into problems with future expansion.

I'd suggest 2-3 geodes prepared at 1st level, scaling up to 5-8 by level 20. Not a clue if that's enough or too much, though, just numbers that feel like they should be right-ish.
OK, so how about... 3->8 geodes prepared, 5->20 geodes known, and wizardly casting progression?

For learning new geodes, how about a new magic item that's a cross between spellcrystals and staffs? You could learn whole geodes from them, or partial geodes from individual spellcrystals (granting you knowledge of a partial geode containing only the spells you've learned from it).
Like runestaves/knowstones?  You incorporate the crystal (whatever it's called) into your spellcrystal, attuning to it, and you get to add the associated geode to your geodes known?  (You have to prepare it as normal?) And you can only attune one at a time?

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2013, 05:33:07 PM »
I was thinking more like how Wizards (and old Crystal Mages) added spells from scrolls (and spellcrystals) to their spellbook (spellcrystal), only with all of the spells from a given geode coming in a convenient package.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2013, 03:00:26 AM »
Poke. I was looking at this again since MetroMagic's got a link to it in his character sheet ("Radiance Elemental Holomancer" - I suspect it's just a bad link). You never did implement the changes we last talked about. Need a hand?

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2013, 07:06:37 AM »
Poke. I was looking at this again since MetroMagic's got a link to it in his character sheet ("Radiance Elemental Holomancer" - I suspect it's just a bad link). You never did implement the changes we last talked about. Need a hand?
Yes pls.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2013, 03:51:37 PM »
Running into a couple of problems.

You use the same term (spellcrystal) for both the crystal mage's spellcrystal (spellbook) and the single-shot spellcrystals she creates (scrolls). This is a problem, as it makes it difficult to differentiate between the two spell sources for learning spells.

(click to show/hide)

By the way, the example for Shard neglects to include the mage's Int mod in the damage. Should be something like...
"For example, the shard attack of a 13th-level crystal mage with 22 Intelligence deals 4d10+6 damage."

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2013, 12:17:06 AM »
OK, updated.  Thank you!  How does it look?

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2013, 01:45:36 AM »
Needs to change some references from spellcrystal to heartcrystal.

I wasn't actually finished with the wording and whatnot, so anything you copied directly may be incomplete. Sorry.

Last sentence of spells, relating to casting cantrips despite them being unencoded and knowing all cantrips makes no grammatical sense (sorry about that). Split it into two sentences. "Cantrips are simple enough that a crystal mage can cast them even if they aren't encoded on her heartcrystal. A crystal mage begins play knowing all crystal mage cantrips."

Whether geode is capitalized or not is inconsistent.

Needs a line saying something to the extent of a spellcrystal bearing all geodes for which it has at least one encoded spell so that you can actually retrieve partial geodes.

Edit: Also, I just copied the spells/day table straight from the Medic, so you might want to tweak it over to the Wizard progression. There should be a premade vertical table column in that one thread that I don't remember the link for.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2013, 02:12:16 AM »
OK, changes made.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
(Continued) Re: Crystal Mage [base] (Magipunk)
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2017, 12:39:40 PM »
Geodes

(click to show/hide)