Author Topic: Powerbard [base] (Magipunk)  (Read 20437 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Powerbard [base] (Magipunk)
« on: April 27, 2012, 11:18:39 AM »
Yet another base class for Magipunk.  Rock on.

POWERBARD

Picture Credit: Google Image Search

"Welcome back, my friends, to the show that never ends!"
-Doug Mathis, powerbard

A powerbard can rock your face off with a powerchord, raise the roof with an arpeggio, or melt your heart with a ballad.

MAKING A POWERBARD
Powerbards work with sound like holomancers work with light, kind of.
Abilities: Charisma is king.
Races: Any.
Alignment: Any.
Starting Gold: As bard.
Starting Age: As bard.

Class Skills
The Powerbard's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Acrobatics (Dex), Arcana (Int), Athletics (Str), Concentration (Wis), Engineering (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Negotiation (Cha), Perception (Wis), Perform (Cha), Persuasion (Cha), Profession (Wis), Scholarship (Int), Stealth (Dex), and Wordcraft (Int).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int) x4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int

Table: The PowerbardHD: d6

Level
Base
Attack
Bonus
+0
+1
+2
+3
+3
+4
+5
+6/+1
+6/+1
+7/+2
+8/+3
+9/+4
+9/+4
+10/+5
+11/+6/+1
+12/+7/+2
+12/+7/+2
+13/+8/+3
+14/+9/+4
+15/+10/+5

Fort
Save
+0
+0
+1
+1
+1
+2
+2
+2
+3
+3
+3
+4
+4
+4
+5
+5
+5
+6
+6
+6

Reflex
Save
+2
+3
+3
+4
+4
+5
+5
+6
+6
+7
+7
+8
+8
+9
+9
+10
+10
+11
+11
+12

Will
Save
+2
+3
+3
+4
+4
+5
+5
+6
+6
+7
+7
+8
+8
+9
+9
+10
+10
+11
+11
+12

Special
Minor arpeggios, power chords (rhythm)
Control sound, musician's ear
Countersong, resounding note
Bonus arpeggio
Bonus feat (see text)
Silver record
Power chords (harmony)
Bonus arpeggio
Improved countersong
Improved musician's ear
Form the band +1, gold record
Bonus arpeggio, encore
Power chords (melody)
Form the band +2
Greater countersong
Bonus arpeggio, platinum record
Form the band +3
Greater musician's ear
Double encore
12-string, bonus arpeggio, form the band +4
Uses per Power Chord per Day

1st2nd3rd4th5th6th7th8th9th

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A powerbard is proficient with simple weapons, light armor, and shields, as well as all guitars.

Minor arpeggios (Su): A powerbard must master certain basic musical techniques before proceeding to the more complex works of music.  These techniques, known as arpeggios, function as supernatural abilities usable at will as a standard action.  A powerbard begins play with three arpeggios and gain an additional arpeggio at 4th level and every four additional levels beyond 4th.  A powerbard can, when gaining a new level, choose a new arpeggio in place of another power chord (see below). The save DC of any arpeggio is equal to 10 + the powerbard's Cha modifier; all arpeggios allow a Will save to negate, though most are harmless.  When choosing an arpeggio, a powerbard can “relearn” an already known arpeggio, which increases the save DC and the caster level for that arpeggio by 1.

Power chords and genres: A powerbard does not cast spells as other classes do, but instead invokes musical techniques called power chords (see below for descriptions).  A powerbard knows one chord at 1st level and gain one additional chord every class level. Up to 6th level, a powerbard can learn only rhythm chords; at 7th level, she gains access to harmony chords, and at 13th level she becomes able to use melody chords.  A powerbard can choose her new chord at each level from any category she has access to (including minor arpeggios). For instance, at 8th level, a powerbard could select either an arpeggio, a rhythm chord, or a harmony chord.

Within a category of power chords (rhythm, harmony, or melody), a powerbard can only learn chords of a new level if she has learned at least two chords of the previous level, but she need not know all previous chords within a genre to select a chord from that genre. A powerbard can always select the first chord in a genre of a category she has access to, even if she didn’t complete the lower category genres.  At 4th level, and every even level after (6th, 8th, etc.), a powerbard can learn a new chord in place of a chord she already knows of the same level.

Power chords represent musical patterns and techniques so complex that other spells seem simple in comparison. As a powerbard progresses, however, her intuitive understanding of power music grows stronger, and her chords become more ingrained in her essence. When a powerbard is capable of playing only rhythm chords, she casts them as though they were arcane spells. They all have verbal components and are subject to interruption, though they do not require material components, foci, or somatic components.  This means that chords which are cast as spells cannot be played while under the effect of a silence spell (however, see the Resounding Note, below), and suffer a 20% failure chance whenever the powerbard is deafened.

At 7th level, when a powerbard becomes capable of playing harmony chords (whether or not she chooses to learn any), her rhythm chords become so much a part of her that they now function as spell-like abilities, and they no longer require verbal components. The powerbard's new harmony chords (when she learns them) function as arcane spells and follow the rules described above.

When the powerbard reaches 13th level and becomes capable of playing melody chords, another change occurs.  Her melody chords now function as arcane spells, and her harmony chords function as spell-like abilities.  The powerbard's rhythm chords become supernatural abilities, and no longer provoke attacks of opportunity.  They are not subject to dispelling, counterspelling, or spell resistance, though they still do not function in an antimagic field.

A powerbard can learn a chord more than once; each time she relearns a chord, she gains another set of uses of that chord per day, and the save DC and caster level of that chord each increase by 1.  A powerbard can play each chord she knows a certain number of times per day depending on whether it is cast as a spell (once), a spell-like ability (twice), or a supernatural ability (thrice). The allotments per level are given on the table above, but only apply if she is able to play chords of the level indicated. 

A powerbard gains bonus uses of her power chords for a high Charisma score just like a spellcaster; however, each bonus daily use a powerbard is granted applies to all of her power chords of the appropriate level.  For example, a powerbard with an 18 Charisma would gain an additional daily use of each of her 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th-level power chords.

Although a powerbard does not prepare spells, she must rest for 8 hours and meditate for 15 minutes each day to regain her use of power chords just as a DivHead must rest and meditate to regain use of spell slots.  In order to play a chord, a powerbard must have a Charisma score of at least 10 + the chord's level. The save DC for a powerbard's chords which are played as spells or spell-like abilities equals 10 + chord level + her Cha modifier, while the save DC for chords played as supernatural abilities is equal to 10 + 1/2 powerbard level + Cha modifier.  Even though a powerbard does not “cast spells” in the traditional sense, her levels in this class count for the purpose of determining her overall caster level.

Control sound (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, a powerbard learns to control the sound around her.  This works exactly like the control sound psionic power, with a manifester level equal to her powerbard level; she can use this ability at will.

Musician's ear (Ex): At 2nd level, a powerbard's hearing becomes much more acute than a normal person's.  She gains a bonus equal to her powerbard level on Perception checks when listening, as well as saves vs being deafened and to defeat illusions with an auditory component.

Countersong (Su): Upon reaching 3rd level, a powerbard can attempt to use her knowledge of physics to cancel the sounds that a caster makes when casting a spell with verbal components.  The powerbard can attempt to counterspell a spell that she has successfully identified using the Arcana skill, requires a verbal component, and is being cast within 30 feet.  She must ready an action to counterspell, as normal.  She makes a dispel check to counter the cast spell as if with dispel magic, except that she uses her ranks in Perform in place of her caster level as a bonus to the check (with no limit on the maximum bonus).  Countersong can be used to counter a power chord with a verbal component played by another powerbard.  A powerbard can use this ability a number of times per day equal to her Charisma modifier.

Resounding note (Su): At 3rd level, a powerbard can attempt to overcome a silence effect with her power chords.  Whenever she attempts to play a chord which would be negated by silence, she can make a Perform check (DC 15 + the caster level of the silence) to play the chord anyway.

Bonus feat: A powerbard of 5th level or higher gains a bonus [Chord] feat of her choice for every genre she completes.  If the powerbard changes one of her known chords (at an even level) and in doing so "un-completes" a path, she loses access to the bonus feat granted by that path, unless she chooses that feat as a normal feat or a bonus feat from completing a different path.

Silver record (Ex): By 6th level, a powerbard has become well-known among the fans of her music, and this celebrity grants her a measure of leeway in social situations.  She gains a +4 bonus on Charisma checks and Charisma-based skill checks (except Perform checks while using other powerbard abilities), as well as the ability to call in one favor per week (as per the Favored in House feat from the Eberron Campaign Setting).

Improved countersong (Su): Beginning at 9th level, a powerbard can use her countersong ability once per round as an immediate action; she need not ready an action to do so.  However, she cannot use countersong while concentrating on another powerbard ability (such as Control Sound or a power chord that requires concentration).

Improved musician's ear (Ex): At 10th level, a powerbard's hearing has become so acute that she can hear things she can't see.  The powerbard gains blindsense out to a range of 10 feet times her Charisma modifier, which does not function when the powerbard is deafened or within the radius of a silence effect.

Form the band (Ex): A powerbard of 11th level or higher can combine her musical prowess with other powerbards to create effects of unparalleled strength.  If two or more powerbards (one of whom is at least 11th level) play the same power chord at the same time, the save DC and caster level of the chord are both increased by +1 for each powerbard after the first (+1 for two players, +2 for three players, etc.).  Use the highest save DC and caster level among the players as the base effect.  At every 3 levels after 11th, the bonus for each additional powerbard increases by +1.  If more than one contributing powerbard has this class feature, the bonuses do not stack; instead, use the highest bonus among all contributing powerbards.

Gold record (Ex): Upon reaching 11th level, the powerbard's fame and fortune have increased substantially, and people keep trying to give her stuff.  The powerbard's bonus to Charisma check and Charisma-based skill checks increases to +8, and she can call in up to 3 favors per week (though no more than once per day).  In addition, she can purchase equipment and magic items for 75% of market price; items purchased this way can only be sold for 50% of market price as normal, even if sold by someone with the Industrious regional feat.

Encore (Su): Beginning at 12th level, a powerbard can follow up a power chord with an additional, less-powerful chord.  Whenever the powerbard plays a harmony or melody chord in a round, she can follow with a rhythm chord in the same round as a move action as long as she has a move action to spare.  Using this ability does not count against the daily uses of the chosen rhythm chord.  The powerbard can use this ability a number of times per day equal to her Charisma modifier.

Greater countersong (Su): At 15th level, a powerbard is a master of manipulating soundwaves.  She can use her countersong ability any number of times per day as a free action, to a maximum number of times per round equal to her Intelligence modifier, though no more than once on a given casting.

Platinum record (Ex): A powerbard of 16th level or higher is unbelievably famous, and people will often stop her on the street for her autograph.  The powerbard's bonus to Charisma check and Charisma-based skill checks increases to +16, and she can call in two favors per day, up to a maximum number of favors a week equal to her Charisma modifier.  In addition, she can purchase equipment and magic items for 50% of market price; items purchased this way can only be sold for 50% of market price as normal, even if sold by someone with the Industrious regional feat.

Greater musician's ear (Ex): Upon reaching 18th level, a powerbard's ears are finely-tuned instruments of detection.  She gains blindsight out to a range of 5 feet times her Charisma modifier, which does not function when the powerbard is deafened or within the radius of a silence effect.

Double encore (Su): Starting at 19th level, a powerbard can follow up her most potent power chords with additional chords of lesser strength.  Whenever the powerbard plays a melody chord in a round, she can spend a use of her Encore ability to immediately follow with a harmony chord as a move action and/or a rhythm chord as a swift action, as long as she has such actions to spare.  Using this ability does not count against the daily uses of either the rhythm chord or the harmony chord.

12-string (Su): At 20th level, a powerbard is an unparalleled master of the power chord.  She can play two power chords simultaneously in the same action.  The powerbard cannot use both this ability and Encore or Double Encore in the same round.  She can use this ability a number of times per day equal to her Charisma modifier.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 08:11:37 PM by sirpercival »
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Powerbard [base] (Magipunk)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 11:19:19 AM »
Powerbard Feats

Minor Arpeggios
(click to show/hide)

Rhythm Chords
(click to show/hide)

Harmony Chords
(click to show/hide)

Melody Chords
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 07:47:27 AM by sirpercival »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Powerbard [base] (Magipunk)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 11:19:34 AM »
Power Chord Descriptions

Rhythm Chords
(click to show/hide)

Harmony Chords
(click to show/hide)

Melody Chords
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 10:41:11 AM by sirpercival »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Powerbard [base] (Magipunk)
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 12:46:50 PM »
 :lmao

That is all.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 02:08:21 PM »
:lmao

That is all.

Is that a good thing?  Or a bad thing?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 02:33:11 PM »
Let me put it this way.  I'm already interested in making one to play in Walk the Line.   :cool

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 02:34:25 PM »
Oh.

...awesome.   :smirk

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 02:41:22 PM »
I just want to see where you go from here.  I like their "spell" system so far by the looks of it, it's very unique.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 02:47:10 PM »
I just want to see where you go from here.  I like their "spell" system so far by the looks of it, it's very unique.

Well, it's based on the Shadowcaster, as fixed by Mouseferatu, and then as altered by myself.  So not a completely original idea, I must admit.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 02:57:12 PM »

Well, it's based on the Shadowcaster, as fixed by Mouseferatu, and then as altered by myself.  So not a completely original idea, I must admit.

Ahh, nice.  Well it's still cool.

And I can be a powerbard.   :P

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 02:57:24 PM »
That (Cha mod + 1 - chord level)/4 extra uses per chord per day is going to add up to a lot in the end (although only twice as much as a Wizard's bonus spells since you only get ~2 chords of each chord level). That actually works out pretty nicely given the relatively few uses they otherwise have of higher level power chords. With the way ability scores scale, you're looking at something in the ballpark of twice as many uses as given on the table. That should be okay.

I expect to see more and more useful options for chords than the Shadowcaster has for mysteries. Don't let me down!

By the way, possible feat or ACF to fight against possession? The power of rock compels you!

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 03:15:55 PM »
That (Cha mod + 1 - chord level)/4 extra uses per chord per day is going to add up to a lot in the end (although only twice as much as a Wizard's bonus spells since you only get ~2 chords of each chord level). That actually works out pretty nicely given the relatively few uses they otherwise have of higher level power chords. With the way ability scores scale, you're looking at something in the ballpark of twice as many uses as given on the table. That should be okay.

I expect to see more and more useful options for chords than the Shadowcaster has for mysteries. Don't let me down!

By the way, possible feat or ACF to fight against possession? The power of rock compels you!

Bahahaha!  Yes, that would be awesome, and shall be a feat.

The bonus chords thing is based on a shadowcaster fix I found on the WotC boards, which I think works well...

I'm now done with the class features, except that I can't think of anything for levels 17 or 19, or a capstone.  I need critiques on all that, as well as help filling out arpeggios and chords, and ideas for feats.  So, get on it, guys!  Lol.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 03:52:03 PM »
Don't forget a Warforged ACF/feat and/or a Mechanosynth evolve for internal subwoofers. What they do, I don't know.

Class feature ideas?
Encore: Cast another chord of a lower grade than the first as a move action.
Artiste's Ego: The fame has gotten to you. You're so full of yourself even magic can't knock any sense into you. Immune to charm and compulsion effects (or possibly mind-affecting, depending on the level you give this feature at).

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
  • Organizations are imaginary.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 04:35:46 PM »
A few ideas for the missing Levels

Play 12-string: Can upgrade the equipment, and play multiple Chords simultaneously

Also at 13th - Play 12-string: Play a Rhythm Chord and a Harmony Chord simultaneously, for increased Effect

At 17th - Play 12-string: Play a Melody and any lesser Chord simultaneously, for increased Effect

At 19th - Play 12-string: Play a Melody, Harmony, and Rhythm Chord all simultaneously, for increased Effect

At 20th - Play 12-string: Play TWO of each Chord simultaneously, for increased effect

Or something like that! Playing ALL the music should be worth extra :-)

Including Rests in the music

Time Effects?

Eighth Rest = Sanctuary

Quarter Rest  = Withdraw

Half Rest = Slow

Full Rest = Temporal Stasis

Rests should do something when playing Chords one after another.

Or other markings - seems like they all should do something!

Pizzicato = Blink immediately after Casting?

Speed is already set up for 20 Levels!
Larghissimo
Grave
Lento
Largo
Larghetto
Adagio
Adagietto
Andante moderato
Andante
Andantino
Moderato
Marcia Moderato
Allegretto
Allegro moderato
Allegro
Vivace
Vivacissimo
Allegrissimo
Presto
Prestissimo

Note to self: name things after bands

Wyld Stallyns Rules!

Here's a vote for Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem

Offline Wrex

• Large and In Charge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 05:51:47 PM »
There now needs to be a chord called dragonforce, that invokes breath weapons.

Edit: If the Arpeggio's are just as strong as a fundamanetal, there is little harm in making them at will from the get go

Feat ideas:

Enlarge Chord(Metasonic)

Once per day per point of 1/2 your Cha bonus, you can apply the effects of the Enlarge Spell feat to any Power Chord you cast. This can be applied to any Chord with the ranges of short, medium, or long, and counts as the Enlarge Spell feat for all other purposes. You may take this feat multiple times, the effects stack.

It Ends (Melody)
The strident, ominous tones of this melody manifest in a Crushing storm of lightening and thunder.
All Enemies within thirty feet suffer 1d6/2 caster levels of Lightnign and Sonic damage every round you maintain concentration. In addition, all ground within thirty feet is considered difficult terrain. Each round, they must make a fortitude save, or be affected as if by gale force winds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s87s5CWfRus&feature=relmfu (and the song in question)

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 06:31:23 PM by Wrex »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 06:10:33 PM »
One issue pops out at me. You can learn an arpeggio multiple times for additional uses. However, that is rendered moot at level 14 when you get unlimited uses of all arpeggios. If you took advantage of that option before level 14, your arpeggios are just wasted. Might want to do something about that. Say, grant an increased save DC or strummer level when using an arpeggio you've learned multiple times? Could also work for regular chords if you feel like it. It doesn't have to be anything major.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 07:39:18 PM »
Don't forget a Warforged ACF/feat and/or a Mechanosynth evolve for internal subwoofers. What they do, I don't know.

Class feature ideas?
Encore: Cast another chord of a lower grade than the first as a move action.
Artiste's Ego: The fame has gotten to you. You're so full of yourself even magic can't knock any sense into you. Immune to charm and compulsion effects (or possibly mind-affecting, depending on the level you give this feature at).

Definitely will be a mechanosynth evolve.  And that reminds me that I need a consistent way to allow Warforged to get mechanosynth evolves... thoughts?  (Answer in the Brainstorming thread, please.)

Artiste's Ego is hilarious, and may be a feat.  In fact, I'll have to pick out what of the many ideas here will be class features, and what will be feats.

@Wrex: Agreed about the arpeggios, I think that makes sense.  And... I'll steal Garryl's idea there and make it so whenever you learn a chord or arpeggio more than once, it boosts the DC by 1.

@MM: thank you!  As I said, I will probably use some of those as feats, and some as class features.

@All, yes, my plan is to have the Genres be named after bands, and the Chords be named after songs/albums.  So, I need suggestions.  So far, we have:

Dragonforce (varying levels of DFI) -- Sonic Firestorm, Black Fire, Inside the Winter Storm
Wyld Stallyns
Electric Mayhem
  --> those two don't have song or album titles, sadly... suggestions?

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
  • Organizations are imaginary.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 12:58:17 PM »
Yes, Wyld Stallyns has no song titles, at least in either of the movies, which is all that should count. Neither soundtrack credits Wyld Stallyns as the performers, though there is a track where Bill and Ted perform.

But Electric Mayhem has lots of titles, many of them usable for your purposes, ranging across musical styles from:

Chopin's Polonaise In A Flat
to
Tenderly

and their best-known hit:

Can You Picture That?

and a couple of Christmas song tracks too.

Two of their titles that could be best for the PowerBard are:
Love Ya to Death

and what may be my favorite for the PowerBard:
Don't Blame the Dynamite

(really!!)

Here's a list of 81 titles played by Electric Mayhem, including some originals and lots of covers, that may be complete.
(click to show/hide)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 09:09:24 AM »
OK, I finished the class features.  Rock on!

I think I'll use the musical terms as names of arpeggios. 

Offline SneeR

• Legendary Member
  • Sneering
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 05:26:03 PM »
This oozes flavor. I congratulate you!
+1 for PowerBARD!
A smile from ear to ear
3.5 is disappointingly flawed.