Author Topic: Action thread: Group 10  (Read 30107 times)

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
Re: Action thread: Group 10
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 02:19:31 PM »
Vir 10 looks confused, both amused an unhappy at being talked about like this.

Vir 10 Ok, I'll stay, but there are extra extra us in the bag, right?  Just send another of my extra extra copies with him.  Lower hp, but he'll suffice.  I dub him "Vir 99," Defender of the Weasleguard.

Assumign this is a correct interpretating of the copying situation, an extra Vir copy copy pops out of the bag, without any rituals and with the lowest starting health, but still very sneaky, and follows Sable.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:01:41 PM by ieatfood7 »

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 02:38:51 PM »
"We cannot wait any longer. We have to set the explosives now. That is our priority. Whatever Sable may be facing there he can simply avoid it for now."

{RorO} I agree.  I will help Ror10 set the demolitions.  We'll stay in the walls for now, but as soon as Sable or Vir99 set of the Alarm, Ror10 and I will move into the corridor.  Both Ror's begin settting explosives.

Ok, I'll stay, but there are extra extra us in the bag, right?  Just send another of my extra extra copies with him.  ...I dub him "Vir 99, defender of the Weaslegueard."

{RorO} An apt name.  However, don't forget that each time a copy is destroyed, its original takes some damage.  Try not to dip into the pool of extras too often.

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 03:14:01 PM »
Vir 99 catches up to Sable, Ahoy there, hoss.  After you.

Vir O, having misgivings about sending two Death Flights w/ rituals out without testing their plan to stay below, winces as he realizes that when near Ror, they move faster, and in less than 3 seconds are already in position, stopped 50 feet from Group 10 (baring anything untoward).  He wishes he had sent one of the 6 spare birds out on a big loop first.

Offline GuyFawkes

• Remember, remember, the fifth of November
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 03:20:38 PM »
"Good," replies the zenythri. "After we have set the explosives, we can all move towards the end of this tunnel, where it leads into the Pens and detonate it as soon as we are in position. I can place a magical space that allows me to detect any movement within it right around the resulting cave-in and monitor it within a thousand feet. That way we are closer to the pens, closer to Sable and be able to act with his information much faster, but at the same time we could monitor if the possible reinforcements have already breached the cave-in. I am not sure of the distance if we would reach up to the end of this tunnel entering into the Pens, so if it is more than a thousand feet, I could only provide us with that much distance, though I think that is quite enough. If you have other means to do the same while covering much farther distance, then that would be better."

(click to show/hide)

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 03:27:06 PM »
Vir 99 catches up to Sable, Ahoy there, hoss.  After you.

Sable gives a nod to the spritefolk as they 'swim' through the earth and stone. "The plan is to recon. If they did leave, lets see what they left behind as a clue to their destination. If they're in hiding, we'll find them and, well... we'll find them." Sable reassured.

"This is what I did for a living back home. Investigations. I found lost people and saved them, found bad people and, well... didn't save them." He smirked. "Let's go find some bad people."
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 03:35:58 PM »
If you have other means to do the same while covering much farther distance, then that would be better."

If we leave a parrot or a horse at the site of the rubble, I should be able to scry them from wherever we are inside the compound.

On the Link, RorO says Sable, don't forget to keep an eye out for good places for Anti-magic grenades or more of Janis's demolitions.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 03:47:17 PM »
Sable was no stranger to psychic communications, or communications that were damn similar.

"If this place is.... wait a fucking second. Antimagic! Alarms? Guards and whatevers? Glyphs?" he chuckled, then remembered that if he lit the incense, it'd suck for everyone else. Probably why he didn't use it earlier. "I could knock them out, recon, then be back safe in time."

"Hey Star? Will this link thing work in a magic dead zone?" he asked Star through said linkage.

"Now, as I was saying... thinking... whatever... If this place is really dead and deserted then I won't waste them. I may just light one on the way up and recon the place once I'm out of the ground. Who knows, maybe this whole thing is a set up."
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 04:03:01 PM »
Vir does some math in his head, and lets out a new string of curses.  He calls back the Flight of parots with the firse spell prepared (not the undeath one), hoping its not too late. 

Vir doesn't know if forbiddence can extend into the eath, and if two flights die simultaniously, it would kill 14 of the 25 origonal parrots.  That is a risk not worth taking just for extra damage (more parrots=more damage from all the circles of good hope).

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 05:54:07 PM »
"Who knows, maybe this whole thing is a set up."

Of course it's a set-up.  I thought we were assuming that from the get-go.  What, with all the elves targeted and the crew captured.  But since we know it's a set-up, and the enemy - hopefully - doesn't know that we know, we have the advantage.  Plus, I can't imagine they could have planned for us having lots of copies of ourselves.

Offline GuyFawkes

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2012, 02:36:01 AM »
"I think they may know that we know that this may be a setup. Remember the infiltration at the tunnels leading to the Bral Warehouse?"

"Right, and I remembered I have my copies in the bag, so why not just use my copy's copy for scrying purposes than a parrot or a horse? They are just lying about in there doing nothing anyway. Plus it can detect anything that passes through the tunnel, even those under magical concealment like ours. And you would not need to use scrying on it, it can just inform us via The Link™."

He then informs one of his copy's copy via their own personal Link™. "You, yes you there, the one lying on his back. Come out here. You will stand guard here near the detonation point. You are to inform us if anyone or anything is to pass this tunnel leading to the Pens. You are to stand guard only, and do not engage in any form of combat. If you are detected and pursued, retreat to the outside, but do not use the path where we came from. Understood?" The said copy stands from his position uninterestedly and merely nods at his orders before taking his position.

"And with that, I think we are set here. Let us move north so we can proceed with detonation as soon as we can."

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2012, 11:20:11 AM »
"I think they may know that we know that this may be a setup. Remember the infiltration at the tunnels leading to the Bral Warehouse?"

Ah, but do they know that we know that they know that we know??? :P

...Anyway... that's a good idea.  I suggest however, that Ptolemaeus99 stay with us until the demolitions are set off.  That way he won't be in any danger from us.  Also, he should probably polymorph into something extremely small while he's on guard.

FYI, Ror's still going to Scry Ptol99 every so often b/c the Scry has Detect Evil/Good/Law/Chaos/Magic built in.

Offline GuyFawkes

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2012, 03:43:03 PM »
"Ah, touche, my good dwarf. And yes, good idea. I would not want to have a chain of deaths of handsome young men in fashionable clothing leading up to my own injury now, would I?" he spouts out while trying to maintain a straight face as he moves towards their position.

(click to show/hide)

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 03:53:58 PM »
Will Ptol99 be able to survive the Forbiddance?

Offline GuyFawkes

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2012, 04:19:39 PM »
"He does not have to. He will only need to be close to the edge of the floor to cover most of the area with his sense radius. I doubt anyone who can actually fly and are flying in a hurry would do so at the upper twenty feet of the tunnel, so that would be enough. And if there are, that is where your Scrying comes in." He pauses for a few moments, then continues. "And if he were to enter the Forbiddance through some unforeseen circumstance, then based on what you said about the copy's ratio of tolerance with respect to the original, then I gather he is tough enough to take the punishment."

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
  • Organizations are imaginary.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2012, 01:39:14 AM »
All may read as usual, and probably should  :-)

(click to show/hide)

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2012, 02:30:59 AM »
{RorO - On the Link} Very interesting...  Looking at the Guards & Wards spell, it appears it was cast with MetaMagic to turn it invisible.  Our enemies must have figured all of us would have True Sight running, and would thus be able to see anything invisible.  Using that assumption, turning the fog invisible is a brilliant move!

{Ror10 - On the Link} I think I have a way to turn their own defenses against them.  Several of us have blindsense/blindsight/tremorsense, so the fog won't affect them whether it's visible or not, and because they can see, all of us can see (with the Link).  If I discharge Spell Ritual: Invisibility Purge, it will turn the fog visible, blocking everyone's sight, including our enemies.  They'll be blind, but we'll
always have Paris still have blindsense/blindsight/tremorsense.  If I couple the Spell Ritual with a Circle of Good Hope, that will give us a much bigger area of now-visible fog to use as cover, as well as a more dynamic and amorphous shape (no "Fireball in the exact center of the cloud of fog").  Ror3/4/5/7/8/9, you do the same.

All allies (sorry Sable) within 30' of Ror10 (+ Ror10 himself) have Invisibility Purge in an 80' radius.  This suppresses ALL forms of invisibliity.

Offline GuyFawkes

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2012, 03:34:36 AM »
As soon as they arrive at the end of the tunnel, Ptolemaeus looks back. "Well this is not as far as I imagined. Too close to the explosion? Maybe we should back away some more, near those rooms." After moving there, he continues. "I guess this is far enough. Shall we commence with the detonation?"

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
  • Organizations are imaginary.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2012, 05:43:23 AM »
Star, following along with the group as it starts to move, quickly responds to Sable’s announcement that he is going off by himself: {Star} Sable, if you are going to be by yourself now, it may please you to take this with you, a special type of Staff of Vision, a little different from the one developed in… sorry, I was off into a Story. I was waiting for a good Time to lend it; perhaps that is Now. It will prevent Confusion from an Umber Hulk’s gaze. Shrinking it with you won’t affect its benefit. It activates when you touch it and speak or think this word, just the way I am pronouncing it on the Link: קלוהרבמו

It activates immediately, so to conserve it, you may wish to wait to use it until you feel the Confusion Gaze beginning to take you; the Staff will clear it away. The Staff has other Vision functions that you won’t need, and which cost charges you may not wish to afford. It has twenty-five touches in it in total, which you may use to prevent the Confusion before I have to recharge it.

She fetches a long staff out of a small pouch, radiating Divination, moderately strong, and Healing, moderately strong, easily visible to all those Detecting Magic. It is six feet long and two inches in diameter, of clear crystal with a distorted view through it. She offers it to Sable.

{Star} And Vir, if you are strategizing about your parrot deployment… Vir, if it pleases you, this Healing might be useful: I was able to accomplish some interesting Effects with the two extra, extra Ror copies that Janis volunteered to help me. I even had your parrot clouds in mind. A flight of parrots will get quite a bit of Healing if it passes within forty feet of me, a bit of Healing multiplied by each parrot in the cloud, to each parrot in the cloud. And so might we, if within twenty feet of the cloud. But if the parrots have Shroud of Undeath, then the Healing will damage them; I don’t know if you have other ways for them to be effective besides the Vampiric Circle together with the Shroud of Undeath, or if they must be further away than forty feet, so they don’t damage us.

I’ll also have some other information in a moment that the two of you may be pleased to learn. I can pass it to you on the Link.

Star then reaches into another small pouch and puts on her right hand a finely crafted open gauntlet, a wire tracery of silvery metal runes, shaped to be worn across the right wrist and back of the hand, with a loop encircling the index finger. She also has a thick, blunt green Rod in her left hand, with a stylized Windblossom on it… the Insignia of the Elven Armada. While moving slowly along, she has been staring intently at various sections of the fog and the Glyphs written on the rock surface, and examining everyones' visuals of it on the Link, as well as the visuals of Ror0 who was staring at the area and putting his flow of Spellcraft information on the Link.

She says on the Link, first absently about the setup, distracted, and then more focused as she warms to her subject, the Forbiddance:

{Star} A setup… of course; the chief officer of the Illithid Empire High Command went to Acheron and then, according to Ror’s Commune with Dumathoin, arranged a surprise for us. His assessment that I would find out he was there, but not what he plans, and yet I would come to his trap anyway, has proved correct; he is a formidable opponent… but then so are we.

…….You all have interesting ideas about the rescue; traveling through the walls without coming out of them certainly seems to be unexpected, else we would have found the walls laced with Forbiddance too and they are not, at least in the locations we have investigated.

I think my own best task at the moment are these Glyphs and especially the Forbiddance, for when we do want to come out.

Ror, you said you can’t see this Spell with Spellcraft and I think that’s exactly right. It has a very curious Casting; it is missing the Spelltag specifiers that normally would be present in a Forbiddance that define the appearance of the fog. Instead, those Spelltag specifiers have been replaced with ones normally associated with Invisibility… tied in with Metamagic as you said so that the Spell’s structure is not disrupted by the change. Very cleverly done, with even more care than the Glyph tied to Explosive Runes. The Spelltag specifiers for area of Effect also have an unusual configuration, but I can’t see into the Spell to find out what they are intended to do inside the area; the fog blocks the view.

At least the damage Spelltags seem to be the usual, rather than enhanced… and the reports from the other groups suggest a confirmation for that observation.

This isn’t the worst Forbiddance version we could have encountered; older passworded versions couldn’t be entered at all except through Magic Resistance, and hurt you just by touching the Spell while attempting to enter even if you failed, though they weren’t as painful. Well. At least the Illithids have hired a contemporary Caster; it could be worse!!

This Spell is very tightly Cast, with barely a thread out of place, so it will be difficult to Dispel. Sheerak, you certainly can attempt it, but Dispel needs loose ends to unravel, and this Casting has precious few. Whoever Cast it has a lot of experience; a high-Level Caster, at least as the University grades them.  Ror, you should be able to chop holes in it; you don’t need loose ends for a Dispel, you cut your own. I think this is beyond me to Dispel, but I have other means.

I’ll need to make some room; a Dweomer Vortex won’t pass through a solid. So… first a Passwall to make just enough room in the ceiling for the Dweomer Vortex. I’ll not approach closer than the edge of the Passwall so that I’m not close enough to the Alarm to set it off, according to how Ror saw it is placed in the center of the corridor near to the floor.

Then I’ll check my bypass of the Glyphs… Disabling a Glyph or a Rune is not much different in principle than Disabling any other trap or device, it just takes the right tools, training, patience, and luck. Once I know I can bypass the Glyphs and Explosive Runes whenever we have need… assuming the others Cast in the complex are the same… then I’ll use my Gauntlet of Runes to destroy the ones applied to the ceiling here, and that will expose the surface of the Forbiddance for a Dweomer Vortex… a very old Spell. Even the knowledge of the creatures who designed it, the Phaerimm, has passed from memory into legend, though they still lurk in Shadow; Reverie tells me she has confirmed the reports of them there. But it looks something like their conical shape; I always thought that was no surprise. They didn’t give up the Vortex Spell voluntarily…….

Star trails off in thought as a Wand drops out of her sleeve into her hand with the flick of a wrist. It is long and thick for a Wand, fifteen inches, and an inch in diameter; it has a hazy look to it like swirling Dust.

Halfaz recognizes this Effect immediately; the Plane of Dust is along the far southwest coast of the Sea of the Plane of Magma. Few ships sail there due to the inhospitable conditions for most life, and the trading outposts are all at the closest part of the Plane in its northernmost reaches. The dissolution of solid matter by the Plane makes Dust a convenient Component for a Passwall Wand to temporarily obliviate a section of the rock ceiling.

Star positions herself carefully so that the Wand is just ten feet from the ceiling, and a section of ceiling disappears. The fog lies just beyond. She goes down to the Glyphs and Rune, and quickly sketches a deft pattern across them as if she was lightly binding together their Magical strands. Nothing happens. Then she touches them with the index finger in the Gauntlet, each in turn, Explosive Runes, Glyph, and Glyph. Each fades away with the touch, in an entirely unspectacular fashion. At the same time, Star’s flash of pain comes across the Link, along with the soothing Heal from the green Rod which flashes intensely, darkly, as it pulses the Life Energy into her.

On the Link, she says heavily: {Star} Good… so far.

I tested my Disable procedure for the Explosive Runes and the two Glyphs, and I can take you past them safely without triggering or disrupting them. It’s been a while since I used those… ah… shall I say ‘delicate’ talents; it’s good to keep them sharp. There are many Spells to obtain, whose owners do not want them to be known by others… often the best way to obtain them is by finding a way in, and back out, leaving the SpellBook but carrying the knowledge. The Red Wizards of Thay were none too pleased when I delivered copies of their Spellbooks to the Elves in Aglarond before Thay’s attack…. Oops, sorry, another Story.

Vir, Sable, if you have… similarly delicate talents, perhaps you would like to learn the procedure to Disable these three Spells; I can show it to you, if it pleases you to do so.

Then I used the Gauntlet to Erase them, to get them out of the way and expose the Forbiddance to a clear shot from a Dweomer Vortex.

The Gauntlet always hurts to use, which I can ill afford laced with this much Positive Energy. My natural capacity would have diminished to store the extra Life Energy… a fatal condition under present circumstances.

Now I’ll recharge the Armada Rod from the little Healings flashing all around the group here, from the Circles I set up. It will be full again fairly quickly, I’d guess. I have a standard military issue Rod of Healing, which stores up a variety of Healing spells to discharge from it, if we need some. It’s not a great deal of Healing for a party of this size and Life Energy, but it may help. One hundred charges. One-fourth charge for a Cure Minor Wounds. One full charge for a Cure Light Wounds, two for a Cure Serious Wounds, four for a Cure Critical Wounds, sixteen for a Heal, sixty four for a Raise Dead. Perhaps the most efficient use would be the six Heals it can deliver; I just used one on myself but the Rod will be full again soon; it is designed to absorb Healing from nearly any source, including dipping it into the Positive Plane. These little Healings are probably not putting in more than a one-fourth charge each, but with so many of you around me, the Circle is generating them quickly.

Ror, your thought to Scry a creature we leave in place, one of Ptolemaeus or another creature… it is worth trying if it pleases you do so, but once they are out of sight, I have not had success with Divination. As Ptolemaeus said, the Link is available, and more certain.

Vir, Sable, anyone else interested: Here is the procedure. I’ll show you on the Link, on this undisturbed section of ceiling. Every Glyph, and these types of Runes, is a form of Possibility Magic… Winston’s Department at the University, so they have made extensive studies of them… Magic Mouth too, even Alarm. Possibility Magic because they all have “If this, Then that” Spelltag specifiers; they are like little Contingency Spells that act on a stored Possibility. The trick to Disable them, but leave them in place, is to temporarily suppress the connection between the trigger condition and the result. There always has to be one, and it’s almost always the easiest point in the Spell structure to attack, because it’s the simplest. The Spelltags for the trigger conditions can be very complex and the result Spelltags can be very difficult to follow if you’re not a Mage, but the connection between them is clean and simple… see it there, in the Explosive Runes? And there, in the Ghoul Glyph and the Glyph of Warding? That’s the connector. Now as the Spell tries to trigger, Magical Energy must flow through that point, so you pass your hand through the trigger Spelltags to activate them and then immediately press on that connector Spelltag to take off the Magic charge… ouch, a little burn… ha! My fingers will tingle for the next five minutes at least and I’d have trouble picking even a simple lock! …but not much burn because the big Magic charge is in the result Spelltags designed to kill you. See, they didn’t activate, so we didn’t die, and now the charge is gone from the trigger conditions. Since the Spell only lost a tiny amount of Energy into my hand, it will restabilize and reset itself soon, but this entire party could walk all over the Spell for the next two minutes or so, and nothing will happen. See here, where I touched the connector… If you look closely you’ll see a trickle of Magical energy flowing back through the connector to the trigger Spelltags, just because there is so much over here in the results, and almost nothing over there in the trigger… that’s what I meant by restabilizing. But there still isn’t enough built up again on the trigger side, yet. You might ask why not permanently Disable it by cutting the connector, which you could do, except if you indiscriminately create a loose end in the Spell, it will start to unravel and Dispel itself, and if you didn’t set that in motion with some Magic that is designed to unravel Spells safely, the results may explode in your face, which is what you’re trying to avoid. So I don’t recommend cutting the connector after you’ve located it unless you have a Dispelling Knife, or even a Subtle Knife will do even though it’s designed to cut through Planes instead, or some similar tool or related Spell.

Or a Dweomer Vortex to drink out the Magic from the loose ends, as I’m about to use on the Forbiddance... unless someone else would like to do the honors on it.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 05:55:38 AM by MetroMagic »

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2012, 01:44:05 PM »
{Star} I think my own best task at the moment are these Glyphs and especially the Forbiddance, for when we do want to come out.

Ror, you said you can’t see this Spell with Spellcraft and I think that’s exactly right. It has a very curious Casting; it is missing the Spelltag specifiers that normally would be present in a Forbiddance that define the appearance of the fog. Instead, those Spelltag specifiers have been replaced with ones normally associated with Invisibility… tied in with Metamagic as you said so that the Spell’s structure is not disrupted by the change. Very cleverly done, with even more care than the Glyph tied to Explosive Runes. The Spelltag specifiers for area of Effect also have an unusual configuration, but I can’t see into the Spell to find out what they are intended to do inside the area; the fog blocks the view.

If you make all three [Disable Device checks], you can bypass the whole mess, in a particular section of it, and lead companions across the section you Disabled for the two minutes it’s deactivated. You won’t have to make the check again, you can pass across them freely by taking a Swift Action to press each one in the right place. If you only make some, but are travelling with someone else who made the ones you’re missing, then the two of you can Disable a section of the whole mess by working together.

The fog is from Guards & Wards, correct?  Not Forbiddance?  And I think we want to leave the fog in place now that it's visible and we have blindsense / blindsight / tremorsense running.  Getting rid of the Forbiddance though is fine by me.

{RorO - on the Link} I thought we didn't need to disable the Glyphs because we all have non-detection.  I mean, for those in the party with "delicate skills," it's still a good skill to learn, but once learned, I don't think we want people's hands to be numb from disarming others.  And, leaving the Glyphs in place has the added benefit of potentially catching anyone behind us who's not LE.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2012, 08:18:36 PM »
"It's called clearing a path to escape, also known as the Path to Hell, for when Everything Else Goes There." Sable corrects as he claims the Staff of Vision from Star. "Never turned down a gift from a pretty lady yet, let's just hope I don't need it." he says, giving Star a wink. "Besides, it never hurts to learn a new trick, especially when that trick can't be taken from you due to local geography, magical nature, or predisposition." he says again, reaffirming his position of dependence of self versus dependence of magic. "In the end, you're only as good as you make yourself."

"See, it's a temporary matter, but it'll beat nothing. Besides, next time we're locked up in a dungeon covered in wards and whatnot, you'll be extra thankful you brought along everyone's favorite weasel." he boasts, mostly about himself. He then motions to a particular set of Glyphs, "Someone mind backing me up on this? Might as well try this out now under semi-controlled circumstances." and he started to trace the glyph, as Star had shown him, and was about to make his first move when...

(click to show/hide)
Link to my homebrews