Author Topic: The Small Rants Thread XII: The Folly of Life  (Read 180273 times)

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
Re: The Small Rants Thread XII: The Folly of Life
« Reply #360 on: January 25, 2019, 12:41:33 AM »
I dont much like the way the guy conducts himself myself, but I can't really think of him doing much being ban worthy.
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #361 on: January 25, 2019, 12:55:06 AM »
Some more recent bits from Discord:

Was that just about that argument about HD and non-associated class levels, or was there something else that is no longer to be seen?

There's been a lot over time.
He's easily the most reported person on the boards.

Just recently he attacked a brand new forum member over a rules interpretation and attacked the validity of a mod's status as a mod (as examples).

Also seemingly he had already received temp bans, which would explain some periods where his activity completely stopped in the forum.

So basically following the cancerous dick analogy, most of the bad stuff was underneath the surface, hidden from most observers. And there was just a lot more bad stuff than good stuff all things combined, so complete removal was the only viable option left.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 25, 2019, 01:24:02 AM »
I mean, IDK... He was actually pretty supportive of me during my bad times, one of the few that cared enough to send PM's and offer a helping hand. I don't think he's a bad person, not at all. Rash? Combative? Yes, but not a bad person. He's been a part of this community for so long i kinda don't see it being a good thing...

:(

I definitely agree with that kind of observation. I've had alot of pleasant chats with him as well in the past, some even about calling him out on going too far with a fight with others here and getting him to agree to reign it back a bit  :tongue
As self aware as he is about how others see him, I kinda wished he'd have....put a bit less effort towards fighting with people -_-'

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #363 on: January 25, 2019, 03:20:35 AM »
I'll miss him, that's for sure.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 25, 2019, 02:32:16 PM »
I don't think Soro is a bad person, he's just a person with a toxic personality trait that he couldn't reign in. As veterans, we tolerated it because we value his input, but we are a relatively small community and elitism is a stereotype we have enough trouble shaking as it is. If it hadn't been for the new member being exposed to it, we probably would have tolerated the behaviour indefinitely the same way we tolerate certain scientists who are giant assholes because their work is good.

All his previous warnings either served to make it clear that there IS a line (which he then crossed), or served to make the line fuzzier by letting him get away with the behaviour until it was actually a danger to the community.

If he makes a new account and behaves, then his behaviour was controllable and he wasn't taking it seriously.
If he makes a new account and acts out, then he will get banned again.
Either way this ban is the most effective deterrent to the behaviour.

From a pragmatic standpoint, I hope he returns and gets his shit together, because he has an otherwise good head on his shoulders.
From an ethical standpoint, I have mixed feelings because if he behaves himself it'll mean he was willingly disrespecting the entire community for years.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 25, 2019, 02:57:40 PM »
From an ethical standpoint, I have mixed feelings because if he behaves himself it'll mean he was willingly disrespecting the entire community for years.

That's not really true. Changing a personality you've had for years if not forever doesn't happen overnight, and is really difficult to do so on your own.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 25, 2019, 03:32:53 PM »

That's not really true. Changing a personality you've had for years if not forever doesn't happen overnight, and is really difficult to do so on your own.

I'm inclined to disagree with you on the basis that he had a ton of chances to do so and made no forward progress to speak of, but at the same time, one of my friends came forward not 5 minutes after I made this post with a statement that he's trying to do better, so I guess I'd be a huge hypocrite if I didn't extend the same amount of compassion to Soro if he did the same.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 25, 2019, 04:38:48 PM »
I have a friend too that struggles with his bad habits and short temper and he tries not to, but, yanno.

Old habits die hard is what I'm saying.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 25, 2019, 05:12:20 PM »

Oh, but he did change. Just for the worst. He contributed less and less while further pushing and breaking any behavior lines he could, moved on to refusing to even recognizing the mod's authorities, and when he had descended to attacking even any newcomers drastic measures had to be taken.

Or would you rather we become the forum where one guy stands above every rule and drives away anybody wanting to join the community?

I have a friend too that struggles with his bad habits and short temper and he tries not to, but, yanno.

Old habits die hard is what I'm saying.

At least your friend recognizes they have a problem and does an effort to try to solve it. The banned one didn't.

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 26, 2019, 12:34:59 AM »

Oh, but he did change. Just for the worst. He contributed less and less while further pushing and breaking any behavior lines he could, moved on to refusing to even recognizing the mod's authorities, and when he had descended to attacking even any newcomers drastic measures had to be taken.

Or would you rather we become the forum where one guy stands above every rule and drives away anybody wanting to join the community?

The thing is that we don't actually have any rules listed anywhere (as pointed out on the Discord channel). There were rules under the old forum, but that was owned/operated by a different group then we have now, and they arent even publically visible in the archive anymore presumably do to stuff fucked up under the hood.
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 26, 2019, 03:13:41 AM »

I'd rather be the forum that takes in people even if they got banned elsewhere.  That's how BrilliantGameologists started in the first place.
There's plenty of places where any given newbie would be welcome, but not very many where people like SorO would be. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 26, 2019, 04:10:50 AM »
As someone who was the target of his attitude and seeing how he treated the mod who told folks to knock something off before it got really going http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=18161.msg337569#msg337569 the only surprise is that it took this long for him to be permabanned..

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 26, 2019, 09:44:26 AM »

I'd rather be the forum that takes in people even if they got banned elsewhere.  That's how BrilliantGameologists started in the first place.
There's plenty of places where any given newbie would be welcome, but not very many where people like SorO would be.

And we did welcome him, only to be repayed with escalating bad behaviour. There needs to be a line somewhere, and as trappedslider pointed out the biggest surprise is how patient the mods were before they brought out the banhammer. At this point either he was clearly being intentionally malicious, or he had some serious real life problems and using the forum as pure escapism trying to make other people feel even worst than himself when he should be looking for help from professionals.

Besides regardless of how BG started, minmax boards as it is now has a much better attitude overall. All the newcomers from recent years didn't cause a fraction of the trouble the banned one did.

For those who are mostly interested in just flaming and trolling, there's always 4chan.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 26, 2019, 11:42:15 AM »
So aside from my father needing to spend a day in hospital because of a head injury (nothing seems to have come of it)... yesterday one of his friends called the police after he was discharged from the hospital--and not in the "just walked out without permission" sense, they had me go to the hospital to make sure there was someone who'd be able to watch him carefully.

Why? Because she thought that I wouldn't be able to "look after him". Which is quite insulting on my capabilities, and also a completely ridiculous objection. It's an injury minor enough that the only thing required is observation. Not treating someone like they're incapacitated... >_>

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 26, 2019, 11:58:46 AM »
So aside from my father needing to spend a day in hospital because of a head injury (nothing seems to have come of it)... yesterday one of his friends called the police after he was discharged from the hospital--and not in the "just walked out without permission" sense, they had me go to the hospital to make sure there was someone who'd be able to watch him carefully.

Why? Because she thought that I wouldn't be able to "look after him". Which is quite insulting on my capabilities, and also a completely ridiculous objection. It's an injury minor enough that the only thing required is observation. Not treating someone like they're incapacitated... >_>

That sounds like a shitty person.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: January 26, 2019, 12:00:08 PM »
Well, she also got really angry with me and my brother (and he lives 400 miles away) for not worrying our heads off.

Or in his case, dropping everything to come visit.

Bearing in mind that the hospital stay was only ~24 hours.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 26, 2019, 12:15:43 PM »
Wow, so less horrible and more crazy.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 26, 2019, 07:46:54 PM »

And what did you observe? was it boring or exciting? Did he get up to anything...like crime fighting?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 26, 2019, 07:49:35 PM »
I observed that he was tired yesterday after getting no sleep in hospital, and was less inclined to go for a long walk with the dog today--which is fair, because all the bruising has started to come through on the leg area.

So, no, nothing interesting or noteworthy.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 27, 2019, 06:44:38 PM »
After 3 consecutive weeks of being given 0 hours at work, they scheduled me for a single shift that is twice as long as I'm comfortable for.

I get up early to do all my stretches, medication, etc. Eat a hearty breakfast across the street, walk in...

...and get told they don't need me.

At this point I really should have been upset, but I just took my "calm the fuck down" meds an hour before, so I shrug and go watch 2 movies in my work uniform, then leave.

Still in a pretty good mood, but I know I'm going to be SO nettled about this later.