Author Topic: Quick Errata Questions and Future Projects  (Read 19894 times)

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Honorary Mod
  • You have one round to give a rat's ass.
    • View Profile
Quick Errata Questions and Future Projects
« on: November 07, 2011, 10:06:01 AM »
This thread is for all of those small issues that you see when you're reading through a book or playing the game. Small issues that would be errata'ed were an actual errata to be released, but that aren't big enough to start a new book-wide errata thread for.

Completed Projects (PDF Compilations)
Tome of Battle, the Book of Nine Swords (PDF).

Current Project
Complete Psionic

Future Projects
Dungeonscape
Frostburn
Concerned about how moderation works here? Please PM this account.

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Errata Questions and Future Projects
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 10:51:12 AM »
Some ideas here (not all are suitable for errata, but some are)

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 01:32:49 AM »
the complete psionic errata was in fact finished. i have a copy if anyone is interested.

Offline Dwarfi

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 10:11:37 AM »
As I am still new to all the DnD stuff I was wondering if there is some kind of errata for the 3-5 craft skills? Or the adamant armor?
Or if you plan on redoing this stuff.

I already like the tob pdf you did. Great job.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 10:58:03 AM »
As I am still new to all the DnD stuff I was wondering if there is some kind of errata for the 3-5 craft skills? Or the adamant armor?
Or if you plan on redoing this stuff.

I already like the tob pdf you did. Great job.

What in particular needs to be fixed about the Craft skills or Adamantine armor?

Offline Dwarfi

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 11:55:47 AM »
The craft skill appears to me to be very hard to use at all. And if you do you have to spent half an eternity to complete a rather simple item.
If I understood it right, if you want to forge a very basic armor in the early levels it would have a pretty impossible DC.
Lets take a full plate for example. Medium or lower armor are just cheap enough so you dont actually need the craft armor skill for that. But a Full plate is already pretty expensive and would by worth the work. But a DC18 is very hard to reach, and its not over with just one pass, you have to pass it as many times until you reach the full price.
And what would a DC for a Mithrall plate look like ?

When I look around in different Forums, I hear a lot of complain about the  way the craft skill works in 3.5e.

---------
About adamantine:
I think its just not worth it. Its pretty expensive and hard but the DR -3 is just a joke. Especiall if you consider the Level you are usually able to get one of these. A Mithrall is cheaper, lets you move faster (at least as a human) it actually increases your AC through DEX bonus and reduces the ACP.
The mithrall is what makes a dwarfen racial rather strange to use when this type of armor becomes available. Now humans and others can wear heavy armor too, while the dwarf is still stuck with his 20speed.

My thoughts about this.
Maybe I am not seeing something here, in that case I would be glad to hear a correction.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:57:48 AM by Dwarfi »

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 12:00:55 PM »
I agree that adamantine armor is terrible for the cost, although I'm not sure if it's fit for errata, or not.

I was actually just thinking about this last weekend, oddly enough. I'm toying with making the DR based on your BAB, but I haven't pinned down an amount, yet. I was also thinking of having this DR overcome with adamantine weapons (which makes sense, because steel armor doesn't offer DR against steel weapons).
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 12:05:25 PM »
The craft skill appears to me to be very hard to use at all. And if you do you have to spent half an eternity to complete a rather simple item.
If I understood it right, if you want to forge a very basic armor in the early levels it would have a pretty impossible DC.
Lets take a full plate for example. Medium or lower armor are just cheap enough so you dont actually need the craft armor skill for that. But a Full plate is already pretty expensive and would by worth the work. But a DC18 is very hard to reach, and its not over with just one pass, you have to pass it as many times until you reach the full price.
And what would a DC for a Mithrall plate look like ?

When I look around in different Forums, I hear a lot of complain about the  way the craft skill works in 3.5e.

A DC 18 is hard to do? Maybe if you're only 1st level, but it gets easier as you gain levels. The real issues are the time it takes to craft any item, magic or otherwise (a +10 weapon takes nearly a year to create) and the fact that you can easily churn out a crapton of cash via crafting diamonds.

---------
About adamantine:
I think its just not worth it. Its pretty expensive and hard but the DR -3 is just a joke. Especiall if you consider the Level you are usually able to get one of these. A Mithrall is cheaper, lets you move faster (at least as a human) it actually increases your AC through DEX bonus and reduces the ACP.
The mithrall is what makes a dwarfen racial rather strange to use when this type of armor becomes available. Now humans and others can wear heavy armor too, while the dwarf is still stuck with his 20speed.

That's sort of outside of the jurisdiction of this project. We can't really call changes like that errata.

Offline Dwarfi

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 12:23:44 PM »
Yea, jewel crafting is definately one of the potential money maker skills.
Too bad that the others are lacking behind so much in comparison.

Adamantine - My DM usually just makes it a+3 armor when its new, to make the big amount of money at least somewhat worth it.
I think he refers to some older ruling before 3.5.
But If you want to use leap attack or something alike, then an mithrall is still the better choice.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 11:48:20 AM »
Regarding Astral Seed in XPH:

If you use that RAW(-ish) interpretation (and not a more reasonable one or a RAI interpretation) that gives you all sorts of abilities through Shapechange + Fusion + Astral Seed to add new abilities to your body and make them permanent, you can grow to infinite size categories through Expansion + Astral Seed, or give yourself infinite tentacles with Form of Doom, or whatever.

Astral Seed just needs a line clarifying that it recreates your normal body, not your present body as modified by spells and effects and who knows what else.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 03:45:47 PM »
hmmm. neither the official xph nor the official comp psi errata mention astral seed. i agree that it needs a clarification. however, what about templates (inherited or acquired) and other permanent racial alterations via class or prestige or rites?

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 11:09:06 PM »
Just downloaded the ad-hoc CPsi Errata and it got me thinking. Can we get a sticky of the other unofficial fixes by official people?

Here is the two I know of. No real citation on the Warlock through (link is broken).
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Also Dead Levels
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 12:37:27 AM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 04:36:07 PM »
Errata submission for the Rage Mage PrC in Complete Warrior.

(click to show/hide)

And for the Dolgaunt in the Eberron Campaign Setting
(click to show/hide)
(The name comes from the preview version, where "Tentacle Whip" was listed as a special attack but not given an effect; maybe dolgaunts originally had a connection to the symbiont of that name)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 01:19:31 PM by Prime32 »

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 05:08:17 PM »
No ToB Martial Spirit needle-poking for infinite healing fix?

Just say it the weapon cannot be made for a creature of smaller size than you.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 05:31:56 PM »
No ToB Martial Spirit needle-poking for infinite healing fix?

Just say it the weapon cannot be made for a creature of smaller size than you.

I don't follow. What's weapon size got to do with anything?

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 05:34:03 PM »
Just downloaded the ad-hoc CPsi Errata and it got me thinking. Can we get a sticky of the other unofficial fixes by official people?

Here is the two I know of. No real citation on the Warlock through (link is broken).
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Also Dead Levels
(click to show/hide)

why ad-hoc? that's the official comp-psi errata straight from wotc. sadly, they never posted it on the website, but it is still official.

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 09:07:10 PM »
Smaller weapons do less damage. Once small enough it does 1 damage. Then you heal for two. It's like dread necro 1 without the template or feat investment.

I look at that errata as optional because it didn't get posted. It makes multiclass monk or soul knife builds worse, but does catch some rather obvious errors. That's just my opinion, though. But I am grateful you made it available to the community.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 11:31:02 PM »
Smaller weapons do less damage. Once small enough it does 1 damage. Then you heal for two. It's like dread necro 1 without the template or feat investment.

First off, banning the use of undersized weapons with Martial Spirit is a silly fix. It's way out of left field and has nothing to do with the way anything else works. If you don't know the thought process behind the decision to add that restriction, it seems completely nonsensical and random. It also breaches the intended scope of the change (stop people from getting infinite, free healing out of combat with Martial Spirit) by also interfering with other, unconnected game elements (use of undersized weapons).

Secondly, it's not a free thing. It still takes some significant investment to get small enough to use such low damage weapons (you can't use weapons that are too undersized to even count as light, so you need to be Tiny size to use 1 damage weapons other than shuriken which can't be used as melee weapons, or small size if you're okay with 1d2 weapons and their slight chance of dealing damage on a crit) and have enough of a damage penalty to offset whatever Strength bonus you have (even if you have a 1 damage weapon, as little as +1 damage negates your healing and makes you deal damage on the occasional crit). So you're either investing 2 feats on a non-melee base, or your working with a Crusader who uses something other than Strength for combat (either meaning you can't hit and don't deal damage in melee, or you're spending feats on Weapon Finesse and related options).

Thirdly, it doesn't even solve the problem. All you need is to be medium-sized and have a Str of 9 or less, and you'll deal 1d3-1 damage with an unarmed strike. Or you can buy yourself a cursed -10 gauntlet or whatever. Or find someone immune to nonlethal and just hit them for nonlethal damage. Or you can wail on a nearby wall (as long as it's with melee attacks). Need I go on?

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 01:20:46 PM »
ToB, page 157. The stat block for the Valkyrie is incorrect. The damage on the short sword attacks should be 1 point higher (1d8+8 and 1d8+4) due to the +1 enhancement bonus and the +7 Str mod; the enhancement bonus seems to have been forgotten.

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 12:21:15 PM »
Need I go on?
Lol dude. I was just giving one example. A more complete fix would be: "this maneuver only heals on attacks that deal more than 2 damage total to an enemy." I can hear it now "but sadism / just poke something with fast healing = still broken" Yeah it is, but its a step in the right direction. Add "less fast healing" or something, giving up isn't the answer.

Also page 8 say "care not expended" instead of "are not expended"