Author Topic: RHoD at level 10-16?  (Read 1653 times)

Offline RealMarkP

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
RHoD at level 10-16?
« on: February 11, 2013, 08:55:51 PM »
Yay! the boards are back. I was getting a bit twitchy....

Anyway, I was wondering if it's feasible to run RHoD starting at level 10. The simplest way is to beef up the mobs, make them more numerous. However, some of the other aspects, such as travel, is immensely cut down by a Wizard's ability to teleport and other high level abilities that make traps and social encounters an absolute breeze. So, is it worth while? It might not be.

Are there any similar adventures (in terms of scale and unique flavour) to RHoD at the 10th level mark?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 09:01:42 PM by RealMarkP »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: RHoD at level 10-16?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 09:03:30 PM »
Higher level spells do fundamentally alter certain aspects of the game that RHoD relies on. Both for the players and for the opposition. There's a big difference between an army with a bit of 5th-level spell access and an army with a bit of 8th-level spell access (and a lot of 5th-level spell access).

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 02:48:51 PM »
I've never played or ran RHoD, but from what I've read, quick/direct travel is key to making things easier. Frank posted a campaign journal that involved them animating a chimera as a zombie and using it to fly from place to place, and he said it's the only reason they succeeded. So, I imagine Teleporting on a daily schedule would change this even more.
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 02:55:57 PM »
If you don't mind abandoning the "running against time" feature of RHoD, it's perfectly fine. Or maybe you could make it take less than the 60-ish days to the "end" - the horde takes it all.

One of the main problems you might face is: almost every goblinoid encounter should employ some kind of full spellcaster or the mob will get raped by the party...

Offline ZeroSpace

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Blink animation FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 03:01:01 PM »
I'm fairly familiar with the module, and I have to say that while you could run it for a level 10 party, you would have to significantly overhaul the module. The monster stats, as well as the assumptions about what the party can do, are just not in line with 10th level parties.

This isn't to say that it couldn't be done, just that it would take a lot of work to pull off, and it likely wouldn't be recognizable as RHoD. You may wish to speak with KSBSnowowl about this, since I know he used a fairly heavily modified version himself.
Ninja vanish! *poof*