Author Topic: High End OOC thread III-Separations of Doom  (Read 168534 times)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: High End OOC thread III-Separations of Doom
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2016, 10:04:24 PM »
I find the mental image of Amaterasu attempting nonlethal damage hilarious.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2016, 10:39:42 PM »
Whoever said anything about "nonlethal"? Hugo is merely suggesting she aims for the biggest concentration of enemies at a time so it's easier to pick off the remnants.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2016, 11:19:08 PM »
Whoever said anything about "nonlethal"? Hugo is merely suggesting she aims for the biggest concentration of enemies at a time so it's easier to pick off the remnants.

More the general instruction to try and capture people.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2016, 11:22:58 PM »
1-Going "CONSUME EVERYTHING" is kinda bad for PCs, on the other hand is usually redundant for enemies.
Hardly.

Contrary to popular belief that Sunder sucks, total destruction always yields pure profits. With overkill traits you finish enemies faster so they produce less of a drain on your resources and you also finish adventures faster allowing you to quest more often or generate excessive amounts of downtime. You'll gain level rapidly and have plenty of XP to spare in say creating more powerful items than the ones you broke.

Not that you would ever actually craft anything. In a world that throws WBL out the door slaves can craft gold out of gold and you can candle up all the wishes and epic magical items you like. And in a world that follows WBL poof a King pops in and thanks you for slaying all of his enemies, please have this chest of gold and his children to marry. And if the DM realizes he should try to pick a middle path, well there isn't one. If you can achieve total destruction that's relative in high levels, you don't need powerful items to kill your enemies to begin with and all that XP goes towards making you unkillable long enough to use it.

And that's why Artifacts in D&D have no listed cost. The DM & Player has to come together in a more idealized way to offer overly powerful items of superdoom without actually breaking the game. It almost runs like a Rogue's Sneak Attack discussion, if allowed it's pretty deadly but if cockblocked by Undead it's worthless (without acfs or gravestrike of course), have to shoot for that perfect middle ground.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 11:24:37 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 01:09:35 AM »
Speaking of which, Mao taking the staff with her to this battle?
No time to put it anywhere right now. It'll be contained and sealed off for later.

Explosion Sign "Mega Flare"

XP to spare
Yeah. We don't get that stuff though. We level whenever it seems appropriate and encounters do not yield any XP. Only completing objectives. Sort of.
So really the best way to win is to not fight and simply complete objectives.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 02:01:57 AM »
Not that you would ever actually craft anything. In a world that throws WBL out the door slaves can craft gold out of gold and you can candle up all the wishes and epic magical items you like. And in a world that follows WBL poof a King pops in and thanks you for slaying all of his enemies, please have this chest of gold and his children to marry. And if the DM realizes he should try to pick a middle path, well there isn't one. If you can achieve total destruction that's relative in high levels, you don't need powerful items to kill your enemies to begin with and all that XP goes towards making you unkillable long enough to use it.

Actually what many people miss is that WBL works both ways.

If the party is under WBL, then yes the DM is supposed to throw them treasure.

But if the party is over WBL, then the DM is supposed to not only cut down the supply lines but actually destroy the party's excess treasure. Dire Paragon half-Tarrasque Rust Monster and stuff. There's quite a bit of gear-destroyng monsters in 3.X after all.

Also, "CONSUME EVERYTHING" makes it significantly harder to coordinate your worker slaves/shoping/crafting/political marriages. :P

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2016, 01:26:26 PM »
Actually what many people miss is that WBL works both ways.
I know, I'm pretty sure I was the one that reminded everyone of that back when I was first releasing the Artificer to my Enlightenment series and if I recall, you asked about the idiom of "eat your heart out artificer" over using Sacrifice.

Artifacts sound good through. I think after I get the ranged stuff I'm going to move to listing Artifacts, there are hundreds of them and no one ever uses them. There are bound to be some that really don't break things, like Eberron's Byeshk Symbiont is pretty harmless for mid-level characters.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2016, 01:32:55 PM »
Maia then reports: “Certainly, waste not, want not. We fully support maximum efficiency on the use of resources.
:o

Maia is a Phyrexian!

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2016, 03:04:29 PM »
Everybody, name your top 6 favorite Wizard buff spells level 5 and under!  :P

Give me internets. Now.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2016, 04:01:58 PM »
Displacement?

And Feeble-minded  :plotting

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2016, 07:24:01 PM »
I have no opinions! I don't do wizardry! D:

... also I guess I just... keep going on to the destination? Moving fast leaves little time for talking. As does Dark Souls' consuming your life.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2016, 07:30:35 PM »
Everybody, name your top 6 favorite Wizard buff spells level 5 and under!  :P
Draconic Polymorph?

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2016, 11:29:05 PM »
Well, my top spells are applying for specific combos and builds, though there are a few general buffs that work well in most situations.

Heart of Earth : Hey, extra HP with emergency stoneskin effect.
The other Heart of spells : All neat considering they offer emergency spells that are usually needed in certain moments and can be invoked with a swift action that lasts long enough to help when needed. You also get some critical hit dmg protection off hem. Water is nice for the Freedom of Movement (which can be taken by itself. 10mins/lvl lasts a while but I find Heart of Water more interesting as you just cast it once and it lasts about the entire day of activity and you don't have to worry about wasting a standard action casting FoM if you need it.)
Mage Armor, Greater : Because AC.
Ray Deflection : Do you like being targeted by some of the meanest effects in the game? Especially those easy to optimize? That thing helps.
Improved Blink : Doesn't last long and it isn't all that difficult to bypass but when it works, it works wonders.
Flight of the Dragon : Need flight all day without your mecha?
Greater Invisibility : Easier to do your stuff when people don't know you're there.
Heroism : Not a bit bonus but it applies to a bunch of stuff.

Six enemies (within 30, 40, 65, 75 and 105 115 feet respectively, divided in three pairs within 20 feet of each other and each pair 60 feet away from each other) and eighteen ship citizens in sight, in clusters of six at distances of 50, 90 and 130 feet from Mao in opposite directions.
If each group is in opposite directions from Mao (assuming she appeared right in the middle), how can they possibly be within 60-ft of eachother?
It wouldn't be possible even if they were all positioned in a straight line.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 01:25:59 AM by Anomander »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2016, 03:22:45 AM »
Yay missing pending actions...

Kuroimaken: Can you decide on Hugo's buffs please?

Anomander: I noticed a small incosistency with Code 01's gunlash. The sheet says it's crafted of Pure Iron, but you're claiming it has the abilities of both Pure Iron and Pure Cold Iron, which would demand a special feat or ability.

Soro:
You can either buff yourself before entering the mecha or after entering the mecha, either works, although you can't stack the same spell this way.

Six enemies (within 30, 40, 65, 75 and 105 115 feet respectively, divided in three pairs within 20 feet of each other and each pair 60 feet away from each other) and eighteen ship citizens in sight, in clusters of six at distances of 50, 90 and 130 feet from Mao in opposite directions.
If each group is in opposite directions from Mao (assuming she appeared right in the middle), how can they possibly be within 60-ft of eachother?

I meant they're keeping away from each other, more of a triangle than a line.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 03:24:54 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2016, 12:40:28 PM »
I noticed a small incosistency with Code 01's gunlash. The sheet says it's crafted of Pure Iron, but you're claiming it has the abilities of both Pure Iron and Pure Cold Iron, which would demand a special feat or ability.
You're absolutely correct! I probably figured I'd copy the pure metal's ability in the description for reference and put in the wrong kind of iron. Fixed!

That's what I meant as well. I only mentioned the line since they would then be as close as they can be between themselves (even if placed in the same direction), whereas placed within a triangle they would be even farther apart. For example, those  at 30-40 feet couldn't possible be within 60-ft of those at 105-115 feet. Even in a line. If that distance is calculated in a separate direction from Mao at their center, they are even father apart.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2016, 01:34:08 PM »
Yay missing pending actions...

Kuroimaken: Can you decide on Hugo's buffs please?

Anomander: I noticed a small incosistency with Code 01's gunlash. The sheet says it's crafted of Pure Iron, but you're claiming it has the abilities of both Pure Iron and Pure Cold Iron, which would demand a special feat or ability.

Soro:
You can either buff yourself before entering the mecha or after entering the mecha, either works, although you can't stack the same spell this way.

Sorry 'bout that... End of the semester rush is killing me here. That's why I asked for suggestions...

Give me internets. Now.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2016, 07:48:42 PM »
That's what I meant as well. I only mentioned the line since they would then be as close as they can be between themselves (even if placed in the same direction), whereas placed within a triangle they would be even farther apart. For example, those  at 30-40 feet couldn't possible be within 60-ft of those at 105-115 feet. Even in a line. If that distance is calculated in a separate direction from Mao at their center, they are even father apart.

The battle is in three dimensions. The three pairs of enemies form a  triangle with 60 feet sides that is the base of a wonky triangular pyramid with Mao at  its fourth vertice.

I could draw a map, but like Kuro I'm kinda being swamped with work before summer vacations arrive.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2016, 01:56:12 AM »
Pretty busy here too. I actually tried to draw the map quickly in 3-D.

So 60-ft away from each other but only on the X and Y axis. Got it. On the Z axis they would then be anything but 60-ft. away from each-other and, to keep this pyramid working each pair would be farther from the civilians than it would seem, judging only by the distance each is away from Mao. Unless we also have flying civilians. The description that they were standing between Mao and the civilians made it feel like everyone was on ground level.
The ship's ceiling there would have to be pretty high though.

Edit: To simplify thing I'll change the tactic to something where I don't have to think about distances much. Been a while since I last used the drones.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 01:57:44 AM by Anomander »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2016, 12:16:07 AM »
I'm always busy, does that count?

Speaking of, if Baha is 23 seconds out you get three rounds of combat in before I even get to show up. Try to avoid killing them all until then :p
I asked a buff related question, I know the Mechs generally have no use for being buffed. Like what good would Bull's Strength be if they don't have Strength scores? But I'm wanting to pop in with Friendly Fire, Ten Suns, & Heroism in. And the first one got me thinking if I cast that outside my mech would the effect include my mech when I'm in it? How does that work with other Spells like Haste which grant a bonus to AC, would the mech benefit from it? etc. If I need to worry about double buffing, I'd just like a head up to plan around it.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2016, 12:28:09 AM »
There is a lot of action beyond the smoke and debris so there is a lot more going on beyond there.
The enemies Mao is unto are fighting civilians and those armed civilians haven't all been slaughtered yet (which normally wouldn't be so hard), so if anything they are just there to have us waste time while whatever is beyond the smoke and debris does what its doing (notice that the maids Hugo sent aren't here?). Which so far seems good at making people scream. More over, they are civilians defending on three fronts, so no single front is particularly important enough for them to focus on. Which means they are just cleaning up and probably also implies that those doing the clean up aren't really important.

As for your buffs, whatever affects your character affects the Mech. The important distinction is that things happening to the mech don't necessarily happen to the pilot while the pilot's stats and buffs carry unto his mecha. So; things happening to the pilot before entering the mecha carries on when he starts piloting it. Things the pilot does to himself while piloting carries unto the mecha. However, outside sources trying to affect Baham would have to do it through his mecha, which is harder to pull off considering the limitations of non-mecha vs mecha.

A cleric on foot might have trouble applying a buff to the mecha. A cleric on a cleric-casting-enabled-mecha would be able to affect the mecha normally.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 12:34:42 AM by Anomander »