Author Topic: [1e/Basic Fantasy] Ruins of Adventure - interest check  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
[1e/Basic Fantasy] Ruins of Adventure - interest check
« on: May 17, 2020, 06:30:58 PM »
AD&D 1e Ruins of Adventure was the PnP adaption of Pool of Radiance, the first proper D&D CRPG utilizing the famous Goldbox engine. It plays in the Moon Sea region of the Forgotten Realms, or more precisely in and around Phlan. The PCs are an adventurer group tasked by the city government to solve all its ills, from cleaning out still monster-infested parts of the old town to finding and solving the pollution of the local river, a series of tasks that will bring them on the track of and to the confrontation with a big evil having sinister plans for the region.

The campaign goes from level 1 to 5, although I consider to toss out some more aggravating parts or significantly alter them (Mendor's Library with its save-or-die encounters and Vaihingen Graveyard with its load of level drainers come spontaneously to mind).

System used would be Basic Fantasy, a freely available, cleaned up version of AD&D 1E that improves some clunky parts of the original game (descending AC, ThAC0 etc.) but is still the good old system under the hood.

Utilized books:
- Basic Fantasy core rules
- Basic Fantasy Quasi-classes I and II (covers variant classes like Paladins and Barbarians, but also some new ideas like adding sage abilities to PCs)
- 1e Warlock class
- Basic Fantasy 0 level spells
- AD&D 1E Forgotten Realms box

You are also free to bring your own OSR homebrew to the table as long as it can be made more or less compatible to Basic Fantasy. There are tons of great OSR stuff on the internets after all.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: [1e/Basic Fantasy] Ruins of Adventure - interest check
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 07:30:43 PM »
I'll go for it. Even though it's been forever since I looked at the system

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile