Author Topic: Videogame Discussion II: Snake's Revenge  (Read 306232 times)

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
Re: Videogame Discussion II: Snake's Revenge
« Reply #160 on: March 05, 2014, 05:25:38 PM »
That's funny, my copy is slated to arrive twenty days from now.  :D
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 05, 2014, 05:33:11 PM »
lol, at this rate the thread might as well be called the Dark Souls thread.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 05, 2014, 06:03:06 PM »
And when it arrives it might well become said thread.  :D

Give me internets. Now.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 05, 2014, 08:39:44 PM »
Maybe we should split the thread, or at least make a new one.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 06, 2014, 12:34:27 PM »

that would be best imo, we did it with skyrim back in the day....

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
  • You have one round to give a rat's ass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 06, 2014, 12:40:45 PM »

that would be best imo, we did it with skyrim back in the day....

Considering DS2 is right around the corner, having a dedicated thread would be a good idea. We can leave the previous discussion here though.
Concerned about how moderation works here? Please PM this account.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #166 on: March 06, 2014, 04:47:44 PM »
Just when i thought Dartcraft couldn't be any more of an OP minecraft mod than it already is, i come upon this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-5jGon7Gg8

A single item, the Time Torch, that can speed EVERY tile entity, block update, machine updates... EVERYTHING in a certain radius, to RIDICULOUS levels, and if you have more than one the effects STACK.

Now the mod isn't just OP anymore, it can completely destroy servers. I don't even CARE how expensive it is to make. There is NO way to balance out that thing. It's so ridiculously overpowered, and when combined with other mods... Well, INSANITY happens. With Magical Crops you could already make a farm for every single resource in the game. Now you can also make those farms NEAR INSTANTLY mature to a level so ridiculous it would be pointless to even play the game outside of creative anymore. You already could make it super fast with Lilypads of Fertility (Xeno's Reliquary) + Lamp of Growth from Thaumcraft + Watering Can from ExtraUtilities, but if you combine all that with Dartcraft, i think it would crash your game. I'm even tempted to try this out on creative to see if the game would crash due to the number of entities being simultaneously displayed.

I just hope packs start sacking Dartcraft altogether after this, or at least this item is made to config default disabled. The Force Tools and the Force Engine are already OP by themselves, and it's just too easy to get Liquid Force for your force infusing. And you can achieve ridiculous Fortune levels by enchanting your body armor with Fortune as well as your Pick, and then add Grinding and Smelting just for the heck of it and get an insane ingots  from a single ore you mine, more than you would get by processing it with any other mod with maybe the exception of RotaryCraft, and that mod is Gregtech HARD in order for you to figure out how to balance out the Speed/Torque and Power the machines produce in order to make anything function.

People always talk about how EE2 was unbalanced and it made the game unfunny after you got to the point where you had a Power Flower going on. But you had to work pretty hard in order to get the EMC Values to actually MAKE the Power Flower, and by that point you had already achieved what was pretty much endgame in Minecraft. A few quarries set up, energy requirements met for them, a stable IC2 power source that is capable of processing the output of your quarries, and possibly a Logistics Pipe system that autocrafted stuff for you and made you able to request items on the fly from anywhere.

Dartcraft is worse than EE2. It gives you insanely powerful options right off the bat, and obsoletes any other mod start in terms of how fast you can progress in it's tech tree - Like being able to pack and move an entire base by nesting forced-wrench chests into eachother, giving you fly earlier than any other mod except maybe Morph, the Bleeding enchant, that can cause endless deaths if stacked high enough on a player. Unsatisfied with that, it also makes it impossible to have a balanced pack with Dartcraft included by introducing ridiculous items that knowingly will cause very overpowered interactions with staple tech mods.

I refuse to play a pack that has Dartcraft included. It has reached that point where i can't even just ignore the mod and don't use it, i need to actively tell people that the mod is garbage and not to use it unless you don't care about difficulty, progressing on tech trees, and building up a base at all, and just want to reach creative on survival as fast as you can. I need to preach for it's removal on any modpack, for sanity reasons.

These days, mod authors that actively think about balance and cross-mod interactions when designing a mod are getting rarer by the minute. And i just can't grasp just why mods like that are so popular. Why don't just play in creative?
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #167 on: March 06, 2014, 10:01:55 PM »
So I recently bought Fire Emblem: Awakening.  I am new to the franchise, and chose "classic mode."  As I really don't want to permanently lose any party members, I'm doing a lot of trial-and-error to get through battles with zero casualties on my side.

Does anyone here have any advice for newcomers?

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 06, 2014, 10:07:34 PM »
So I recently bought Fire Emblem: Awakening.  I am new to the franchise, and chose "classic mode."  As I really don't want to permanently lose any party members, I'm doing a lot of trial-and-error to get through battles with zero casualties on my side.

Abuse the Double Up sistem (putting two units together)... The bonuses you get from this are HUGE as the game progresses and the relationships between characters progresses. Couples will actually give birth to kids you can employ in combat with stats from both parents.

I recommend you play the first time normally. If you plan on making a NG+, analyze possible pairing to generate the childs the way you want.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 06, 2014, 10:16:36 PM »

Me too! Things I found out so far:

Make sure to plan your marriages in advance. Chrome gets married to with no notice at the end of chapter 11 to whichever one of 4 women he has the highest relationship score with, so if you want him to marry the Dancer you can't let him develop a relationship with anybody else.

Gale force is the bomb. Any character who can learn it, should. It's acquired by reclassing into Pegasus Knight, then Dark Flyer and getting to level 15

Armsthrift is another nice skill. Learned at Mercenary 1, it gives a percent chance to not degrade your weapon. Useful for high luck characters such as Donnel.

Speaking of, Donnel is fantastic. He has a higher than 100% chance to increase his HP and Luck every time ge levels up, and his other growth rates aren't bad. Put in the initial effort to level him, and he pays off. He also makes a great father, because he gives any female kids the Pegasus Knight class if they didn't have access to it, which means they can learn Galeforce.

In other games, it was HIGHLY recommended to wait to lvl 20 before using a Master Seal. It's not as important this time, because second seals allow you to go back to a base class and get more state increases.

Reeking Boxes spawn enemies that scale to the map you use them on. Using them on the Prologue or Chapter 1 maps will let you level weaker units with little risk.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 06, 2014, 10:17:49 PM »
Just when i thought Dartcraft couldn't be any more of an OP minecraft mod than it already is, i come upon this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-5jGon7Gg8

A single item, the Time Torch, that can speed EVERY tile entity, block update, machine updates... EVERYTHING in a certain radius, to RIDICULOUS levels, and if you have more than one the effects STACK.

Now the mod isn't just OP anymore, it can completely destroy servers. I don't even CARE how expensive it is to make. There is NO way to balance out that thing. It's so ridiculously overpowered, and when combined with other mods... Well, INSANITY happens. With Magical Crops you could already make a farm for every single resource in the game. Now you can also make those farms NEAR INSTANTLY mature to a level so ridiculous it would be pointless to even play the game outside of creative anymore. You already could make it super fast with Lilypads of Fertility (Xeno's Reliquary) + Lamp of Growth from Thaumcraft + Watering Can from ExtraUtilities, but if you combine all that with Dartcraft, i think it would crash your game. I'm even tempted to try this out on creative to see if the game would crash due to the number of entities being simultaneously displayed.

I just hope packs start sacking Dartcraft altogether after this, or at least this item is made to config default disabled. The Force Tools and the Force Engine are already OP by themselves, and it's just too easy to get Liquid Force for your force infusing. And you can achieve ridiculous Fortune levels by enchanting your body armor with Fortune as well as your Pick, and then add Grinding and Smelting just for the heck of it and get an insane ingots  from a single ore you mine, more than you would get by processing it with any other mod with maybe the exception of RotaryCraft, and that mod is Gregtech HARD in order for you to figure out how to balance out the Speed/Torque and Power the machines produce in order to make anything function.

People always talk about how EE2 was unbalanced and it made the game unfunny after you got to the point where you had a Power Flower going on. But you had to work pretty hard in order to get the EMC Values to actually MAKE the Power Flower, and by that point you had already achieved what was pretty much endgame in Minecraft. A few quarries set up, energy requirements met for them, a stable IC2 power source that is capable of processing the output of your quarries, and possibly a Logistics Pipe system that autocrafted stuff for you and made you able to request items on the fly from anywhere.

Dartcraft is worse than EE2. It gives you insanely powerful options right off the bat, and obsoletes any other mod start in terms of how fast you can progress in it's tech tree - Like being able to pack and move an entire base by nesting forced-wrench chests into eachother, giving you fly earlier than any other mod except maybe Morph, the Bleeding enchant, that can cause endless deaths if stacked high enough on a player. Unsatisfied with that, it also makes it impossible to have a balanced pack with Dartcraft included by introducing ridiculous items that knowingly will cause very overpowered interactions with staple tech mods.

I refuse to play a pack that has Dartcraft included. It has reached that point where i can't even just ignore the mod and don't use it, i need to actively tell people that the mod is garbage and not to use it unless you don't care about difficulty, progressing on tech trees, and building up a base at all, and just want to reach creative on survival as fast as you can. I need to preach for it's removal on any modpack, for sanity reasons.

These days, mod authors that actively think about balance and cross-mod interactions when designing a mod are getting rarer by the minute. And i just can't grasp just why mods like that are so popular. Why don't just play in creative?
I hadn't even heard of that mod, and now... Jeeeez. Yeah.

Trying to work on getting a server up for friends, but they/we/I would like a lot of large mods (Buildcraft, Ars Magica, Thaumcraft), so it's hard to find a computer that can handle it we can use for free.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #171 on: March 07, 2014, 05:00:30 AM »

What difficulty are you playing on?
-The game throws you super-weapons right at start, but weapons have limited uses. Make sure to stock up on weaker weapons with lots of uses at shops to deal with small fry.
-Always watch out for what kind of weapons your enemies have equipped. You don't want to run fliers into archers or knights into mages.
-Always check for glowing ground tiles, those have some kind of reward.
-The AI will always attack your most vulnerable units first, so make sure to keep those back.
-On the other hand if nobody else is in range, the AI will happilly attack your super-tough units even if it can't deal damage at all. So basically send your super tough  units ahead to draw enemy fire, then move up with glass cannons and the like. Equip your super-tough units with weak weapons so they don't get all the kills.
-Keeping your units adjacent will develop relationship if they have affinity (aka you'll see they get little hearts after a battle round). Relationship doesn't only grant combat bonuses, it also increases the chance they'll cover each other or make extra attacks.
-Units that reach an S rank in a relationship get married, and you'll eventually get to add their child to your team. Child characters inherit the latest equiped Skill of each of their parents.
-The barracks (acessible on the map screen) stocks up to five free bonuses, and reloads over time. Check it at least once per (real-time) day!
-Random ecounters always grant at least one bullion, that can be sold for 1000 GP. A reeking box spawns one random ecounter and can be bought for 600 GP. You can use it for farming again and again.
-Random ecounters can spawn at random. If they spawn in the same location as a traveling merchant or another enemy, the battle will be tougher, but you'll gain extra rewards.
-Finally, lots of people may be telling you to get gale force in everybody at all costs, but really, there's no need for that if you're playing in normal difficulty. Save that kind of cheese for when you replay in Insane difficulty or something. In your first playtrough, you should just focus on getting a try out ofeverything. The game throws you plenty of different characters for that.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 05:47:18 AM by oslecamo »

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #172 on: March 07, 2014, 05:28:55 AM »
Thermal Expansion is purpose-built for maximum performance. BC has been improved upon a LOT, and unless you have a shitton of resources flying through their transparent pipes (which causes framerate drops), you should be ok. Ars Magica 2 adds a couple of worldgen structures, but none of it's blocks is particularly resource hungry. Thaumcraft 4 is one of the most well-made mods ever. It's perfectly balanced and it also doesn't have much of an impact in resource consumption, except in some very specific parts which consume slightly more resources, like when you're infusion crafting.

Applied Energistics is an almost lag-free and very cool storage option. Useful alternatives include of course the Iron Chests mod, and i tend to prefer the JABBA barrels mod instead of Factorization Barrels, because i rarely use anything from Factorization apart from barrels, wrath lamps, and, sometimes in very specific builds, routers. Logistics Pipes is now also an option, and it can have nice interactions with Applied Energistics, but i'd advise against relying solely on Logistics Pipes for your sorting because it does tend to increase the amount of resource consumption.

IC2 is a nearly dead tech mod, since nearly everything you can do there, you can do via BC/TE. Quantum Armor might be missed, as well as the Jetpack, but both can be completely replaced by Modular Powersuits, which is better in nearly every respect in regards to Quantum Armor. Don't bother installing IC2 unless you also install Gregtech, because only then IC2 gains real value. A relatively new tech mod that has been released and is interesting is RotaryCraft - downside is it has it's own power system that works out of RL principles of energy provided in terms of torque and speed applied to gears or gearboxes, which makes it rather difficult to master. It's approach is much different from the other tech mods, as it strives to provide realistic energy generation scheme and transfering of power. Upside is that it offers one of the best ore-to-final product rates. Above 5x yield for some ores. But it is SLOW unless you provide the machines with a crapton of power via torque/speed increase. Mekanism is an interesting tech mod, and different enough that in general it is worth a shot - it also provides up to 5x Ore-to-Final-Product ratio, and it IS compatible with TE/BC power - But also has it's own power (Joules, different from MJ - Minecraft Joules), since it's part of the universal electricity API. But you won't even notice that since the machine will happily accept whatever power you provide it with and work just fine - be it RF or MJ energy. What it also does, is bring it's own jetpacks out into the table - one more nail in the IC2 coffin. It's quarry is also the most cool looking one, just saying. Digital Miner is a beast.

A server shouldn't need much power to handle these mods i outlined, especially if it's only for a few people - max of 10~12 simultaneously online.
In servers, what you need to look out for, is tick-rate lag (caused most often by having a crapton of tile entities updates, like machine animations, items flowing in pipes, light updates, redstone updates, often in chunloaded areas), and framerate lag, which is caused by rendering animations and graphics, and is normally clientside. As long as the server has a high uptime, server lag won't be an issue.

Another good tip if you're concerned about resource consumption: ExtraUtilities offer better solutions to pumping lava and quarrying - the Enderthermic Pump and the Ender Quarry. The first, when pumping lava source blocks out, will replace them with smoothstone therefore minimizing the amount of flowing lava blocks and the rendering created by them to induce lag. The second, replaces any mined blocks with dirt, so you don't completely destroy the terrain and preserve natural caves, etc. It's pipes and sorting system are also pretty good and there's just tons of useful blocks, like the Angel Block and the sound mufflers. If you haven't heard of it, check it out. Once you have a modlist let me know and i can maybe make a few suggestions.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #173 on: March 07, 2014, 11:58:48 PM »
@Risada and Oslecamo:

Thank you for the advice.  I'm doing a lot better in combat now.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 08, 2014, 11:07:35 PM »
Killed my first boss in Dark Souls 2.

Gotta hand it to them for setting an awesome tone: killing the first boss in the game results in you extinguishing a species, since said boss is the last of its kind.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
  • You have one round to give a rat's ass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 09, 2014, 02:03:26 PM »
Killed my first boss in Dark Souls 2.

Gotta hand it to them for setting an awesome tone: killing the first boss in the game results in you extinguishing a species, since said boss is the last of its kind.

In related news, I killed Ornstein and Smough. I nearly had Super Ornstein beat when he glitched himself through the fog wall and rendered the battle impossible (homeward bone solved it, but I was livid), Smough caught me off-guard in the rematch (ate a charging uppercut from his hammer), and the third time Solaire distracted Smough while I went to town on Ornstein with some Charcoal Pine Resin.

Super Smough lost over half his health facing off against Solaire and I, with me stunlocking him (Power Within+GMW+Pine Resin) and Solaire being little more than a distraction. Solaire died, my buffs wore off, and I had to switch to 2-handing my sword to keep up the stunlock.

Unfortunately, I had to take the easy route.
Concerned about how moderation works here? Please PM this account.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 09, 2014, 02:43:08 PM »
No such thing as an easy route in DkS2.

Here's how it goes: the game has a new mechanic wherein if you kill a given enemy a certain number of times, the enemy will stop spawning. Sounds like it makes things easier, right?

The game also has this mechanic, however, where your HP gradually diminishes with each subsequent death (maxes out at 50%). You can restore this loss by using an item, the Human Effigy.

Unfortunately, what this basically means is that if you die a sufficient number of times going for a boss fight, you'll eventually have to fight said boss in such a state that the slightest mistake proves fatal. And you can't really grind your way out of the mess, either, since you'll eventually run out of farmable enemies.

There is a way to restore the enemies, of course. It's an item that restores ALL of them (boss included if you killed it), but makes them harder. Higher damage, higher HP, higher defenses. Said item has irreversible effects (it is not yet known whether a NG+ resets the difficulty or not).

There's lots of whining going on at Gamefaqs because of this mechanic right now.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #177 on: March 09, 2014, 03:00:36 PM »
No such thing as an easy route in DkS2.

Here's how it goes: the game has a new mechanic wherein if you kill a given enemy a certain number of times, the enemy will stop spawning. Sounds like it makes things easier, right?

The game also has this mechanic, however, where your HP gradually diminishes with each subsequent death (maxes out at 50%). You can restore this loss by using an item, the Human Effigy.

Unfortunately, what this basically means is that if you die a sufficient number of times going for a boss fight, you'll eventually have to fight said boss in such a state that the slightest mistake proves fatal. And you can't really grind your way out of the mess, either, since you'll eventually run out of farmable enemies.

There is a way to restore the enemies, of course. It's an item that restores ALL of them (boss included if you killed it), but makes them harder. Higher damage, higher HP, higher defenses. Said item has irreversible effects (it is not yet known whether a NG+ resets the difficulty or not).

There's lots of whining going on at Gamefaqs because of this mechanic right now.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!   :clap  Well played From, well played.
Mudada.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 09, 2014, 03:12:21 PM »
That's not even the best part!

The Boss AI LEARNS FROM KILLING YOU. If you display abuse of a certain pattern for your attacks, it will bait you into moving into a specific position and switch patterns on you.

The prime example is the very first Boss. As a giant, you only have two points you can attack in melee, his feet. It has two basic attacks: it will swipe at the ground to attack you or it will attempt to flatten you like a cockroach. It may also switch between one to up to three stomps. Of course, he telegraphs his stomps quite nicely, so as long as you don't commit too heavily to attacking, you'll always have enough time to roll away. Since his swipes don't hit when you're close enough (namely next to his feet), you can just hang around his ankles and attack him as he tries to swipe at the ground...

However, if you do this enough times without killing him, you'll see him begin to tapdance on your ass. He will begin to stomp repeatedly after you, and if you move to get away, he will bait you into thinking there's a stomp sequence so he can swipe you at the right distance!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 09, 2014, 08:10:58 PM »
Not thinking evil enough for DkSII

Not only is it possible to respawn and increase enemy difficulty, there is a (starting) item that will make enemies attack invading phantoms, Seed of a Tree of Giants.

Please, step into my world  :lol

You can find a few hilarious videos in DkS1 where players used Undead Rapport to similarly dispatch invaders, though it is difficult to do in practice.

I considered a mod/hack possibility where one could extend the duration, and/or have it AoE/all, or even affect bosses. If I had the time, I would have made it happen.

Would have made for an entertaining series, similar to Oro & Peeve's NG+7 Perma-Gravelord co-op

Unfortunately for me, DkSII is colliding with some RL stuff going on, so I'll probably miss the early game invasion crazyness :(

Also waiting for April 25th PC gaming master race edition  :P

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)