Author Topic: Videogame Discussion II: Snake's Revenge  (Read 306259 times)

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
Re: Videogame Discussion II: Snake's Revenge
« Reply #180 on: March 11, 2014, 11:55:01 PM »
(click to show/hide)
Tentative List:

Thaumcraft 4
Ars Magica
Buildcraft 2
ThermalExpansion
Forestry
ExtraBees
ThaumicBees
Mekanism
NotEnoughItems
Applied Energistics
Tropicraft
...Mod that makes all the rubber/ copper/ tin/ etc interchangeable.
...Some sort of minimap?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 04:24:45 AM by Gazzien »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 12, 2014, 02:43:19 PM »
Speaking of pack depreciation. Buildcraft is pretty worthless. All it offers is a couple of engines to produce energy (ic2/thermal does it better), item transport (applied energistics is unbeatable), and a method to auto mine (thaumcraft's arcane bore, computercraft's turtles, minefactory's stuff, redpower's block breakers & frames, god I could go on forever). BC is almost entirely depreciated the moment you start adding more packs in, it's just their Quarries auto load chunks and are pretty simply to make with no a intelligence requirement to upkeep. IC2 at least supplies methods of power and things to expend it on (armor, resource extensions, auto-processing, etc). Thermal Expansion does this as well and there are pros and cons in each. TE might break the bank on energy loops, more complicated upgrading, and it's crate storage has minimal impact with AE involved. IC2 offers new trees, armor, tools, but for some reason people bitch about Solar Panels.

Whatever you do through, do not install Gregtech. Oh, it's sell point is to make IC2 harder to "extend the game", but dear god what a f*cking pain in the ass. It's not very well made, capable of royally fucking you over (try overclocking an industrial furnace), and has a skyrocketing learning curve that without a wiki NEI tells you it has an impossible circulatory loop (I think it's the machine blocks, they require X but NEI says X is only made from ins. furances which require 34 machine blocks to build). The only positive side to Gregtech is you can use it's Industrial Centrifuge to convert Lava to Tin, Copper, Tungsten, and Electrum. Electrum in turn can be resent through to produce Silver & Gold. Works great with TE thanks to both the infinite energy loop (fixed in 3?) and ability to manufacture lava. Free ingots for all!

Now, in the other packs. Bees suck and annoying as hell without applied energistics stacking the bees for you, it also has no real return rate for use. Forestry is pretty lack luster, certain trees are impossible to create without finding key biomes and establishing a house there (aka impossible with one-claim-only servers), and it's return rate is barely functioning colored blocks (can you use upside stairs yet?). Instead, just pop in the Twilight Forest. Now not only do you have several new wood types to play with, you have actual zones for armed players to hunt for and invade. No joke, the Ghast Towers without flight take highly equipped characters to survive. TW also adds new items, weapons, armor, and some very cool blocks to play with. Like the vanishing one makes a nifty door or even piston free pit drop, hedge blocks are like cacti but can be placed next to each other and damage you while mining them. And honestly, BC's quarry crash bug makes you fight a hill for it's resources rather than cheating up some danger-free auto-mining.

I also second Thaumcraft. Very amazing pack. Consumes quite a bit researching and I could do without Vis griefing the hell out of people, but it's very unique with some very useful items. Rest I'd look at would be support. Minmap, NEI/TMI, anti-grief (if going live), iron chests, maybe flat bedrock, and so on. Stuff people tend to take for granted but forget they are separate mods. Just don't go too overboard with modpacks, Minecraft is a very sloppy game coded by what I can only presume are Mac Users. It's pretty easy for this block game to consume more resources than it takes to run two X-Box 360 games simultaneously.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 12, 2014, 03:06:03 PM »
Massive, infinite brood-spawning laser shooting spider.

I shit you not. This is one of the latest bosses I've faced in Dark Souls 2.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 12, 2014, 04:58:50 PM »
Everyone must play Banished.  It is one of the best city builders I've ever played, if not the best.  It's just amazing.  For those who don't know, it's a medieval era village that you set professions for your (very few at the start) villagers, and set up buildings/farms.  So basically you're managing people, rather than resources, although resources are very very important.  The only things people need to survive are herbs (for medicine, and not much of them), food (lots of food), and firewood (for warmth), with a few things making life easier (coats for warmth, tools for faster working, and education for better working).  One of the best games I've ever played.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 12, 2014, 05:17:34 PM »
Yeah, after watching Northernlion review, and then summarily fail hard at let's playing Banished, I had to get it.  With the tips I got from the first 3 let's play comments, I crushed it on normal difficulty, so now I'm trying hard.  The massive drop in starting materials and lower starting population, not to mention only a wagon for storage, makes it significantly harder to start, but it's a good challenge now.

A few starter tips for newbies, don't make farms initially, they're mid-game stuff, after you've established a good foundation.  Put a forester's hut, hunting lodge, herbalist hut, and gatherer's hut together out in some woods, and don't log those trees, with the exception of the foresters who only chop down old growth.  Initially, put 3 hunters and 4 gatherers to work, 1 herbalist, 1 forester, and you'll find you have a good food income start.  Oh, and make 5 or 6 starting houses on normal, or 4 on hard.  Make them wood houses, because you can upgrade to stone later when you have sufficient supplies stored.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 12, 2014, 05:55:05 PM »
Speaking of pack depreciation. Buildcraft is pretty worthless. All it offers is a couple of engines to produce energy (ic2/thermal does it better), item transport (applied energistics is unbeatable), and a method to auto mine (thaumcraft's arcane bore, computercraft's turtles, minefactory's stuff, redpower's block breakers & frames, god I could go on forever). BC is almost entirely depreciated the moment you start adding more packs in, it's just their Quarries auto load chunks and are pretty simply to make with no a intelligence requirement to upkeep. IC2 at least supplies methods of power and things to expend it on (armor, resource extensions, auto-processing, etc). Thermal Expansion does this as well and there are pros and cons in each. TE might break the bank on energy loops, more complicated upgrading, and it's crate storage has minimal impact with AE involved. IC2 offers new trees, armor, tools, but for some reason people bitch about Solar Panels.

Whatever you do through, do not install Gregtech. Oh, it's sell point is to make IC2 harder to "extend the game", but dear god what a f*cking pain in the ass. It's not very well made, capable of royally fucking you over (try overclocking an industrial furnace), and has a skyrocketing learning curve that without a wiki NEI tells you it has an impossible circulatory loop (I think it's the machine blocks, they require X but NEI says X is only made from ins. furances which require 34 machine blocks to build). The only positive side to Gregtech is you can use it's Industrial Centrifuge to convert Lava to Tin, Copper, Tungsten, and Electrum. Electrum in turn can be resent through to produce Silver & Gold. Works great with TE thanks to both the infinite energy loop (fixed in 3?) and ability to manufacture lava. Free ingots for all!

Now, in the other packs. Bees suck and annoying as hell without applied energistics stacking the bees for you, it also has no real return rate for use. Forestry is pretty lack luster, certain trees are impossible to create without finding key biomes and establishing a house there (aka impossible with one-claim-only servers), and it's return rate is barely functioning colored blocks (can you use upside stairs yet?). Instead, just pop in the Twilight Forest. Now not only do you have several new wood types to play with, you have actual zones for armed players to hunt for and invade. No joke, the Ghast Towers without flight take highly equipped characters to survive. TW also adds new items, weapons, armor, and some very cool blocks to play with. Like the vanishing one makes a nifty door or even piston free pit drop, hedge blocks are like cacti but can be placed next to each other and damage you while mining them. And honestly, BC's quarry crash bug makes you fight a hill for it's resources rather than cheating up some danger-free auto-mining.

I also second Thaumcraft. Very amazing pack. Consumes quite a bit researching and I could do without Vis griefing the hell out of people, but it's very unique with some very useful items. Rest I'd look at would be support. Minmap, NEI/TMI, anti-grief (if going live), iron chests, maybe flat bedrock, and so on. Stuff people tend to take for granted but forget they are separate mods. Just don't go too overboard with modpacks, Minecraft is a very sloppy game coded by what I can only presume are Mac Users. It's pretty easy for this block game to consume more resources than it takes to run two X-Box 360 games simultaneously.
I have people telling me to drop IC2 and BC2. Build craft works with TE and Forestry without a converter. Guess which one I'm dropping?

I happen to like bees, I find it interesting and (shocking) a fun addition. Haven't tried trees yet, don't particularly care. Twilight Forest is fun, yes, but it requires running an entire other world/realm/what-have-you, which causes lag, so I'm not using it. Same reason I'm not using ExtraBiomes (Promised Land).

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 12, 2014, 09:27:21 PM »
Yeah, after watching Northernlion review, and then summarily fail hard at let's playing Banished, I had to get it.  With the tips I got from the first 3 let's play comments, I crushed it on normal difficulty, so now I'm trying hard.  The massive drop in starting materials and lower starting population, not to mention only a wagon for storage, makes it significantly harder to start, but it's a good challenge now.

A few starter tips for newbies, don't make farms initially, they're mid-game stuff, after you've established a good foundation.  Put a forester's hut, hunting lodge, herbalist hut, and gatherer's hut together out in some woods, and don't log those trees, with the exception of the foresters who only chop down old growth.  Initially, put 3 hunters and 4 gatherers to work, 1 herbalist, 1 forester, and you'll find you have a good food income start.  Oh, and make 5 or 6 starting houses on normal, or 4 on hard.  Make them wood houses, because you can upgrade to stone later when you have sufficient supplies stored.

I really like how hard isn't harder due to any rules changes, just what you start with.  And since I want to place myself without having to build around an already built structure (or demolish it later) I just play on hard.  In my current game I've come back from 8 people left, only two of them capable of having children.  So yes.  Everyone in my current 200+ village is related.  I don't think I could ever play easy because of how it starts you with houses....that are too close together for a market in the middle and too far apart for anything else.  If you could choose where these things were at the start that would be awesome.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #187 on: March 12, 2014, 11:20:29 PM »

Both Buildcraft and Ic2 are being deprecated by newer mods. I concede on that. But BC is used as a chassi/support for a lot of other mods, for example:

Buildcraft adds oil world-gen. Oil/Fuel are one of the most compact ways of storing/accessing power. Use it alongside with Railcraft, and you can have Liquid Fuel Boilers cooking that up into some very valuable steam you can then provide to your TE Steam Dynamos or Railcraft's Steam Engines - Or even to the Turbine, converting that steam into some IC2 power. Now ain't that sweet? You can have much more fun, creative, interesting and cool experience with IC2 if you have other mods installed. Thermal Expansion does not add a pump, or a quarry, but Buildcraft does. Not the best pump, but a ok one, and was the only pump in various modpacks.

On Forestry, Bees are DEFINITELY a worthwhile investment, IF you can manage it, and it's a hell of a lot easier when done on single-player, rather than multiplayer, especially on open servers, like you said. But they're worth it, especially if you use it alongside some extra mods specific for bees, like Magic Bees and Extra Bees, which make breeding and storing your bees much easier and hassle-free - Extra Bees machines, especifically, make it possible to have all your bee breeding done in any biome, because of the Acclimatiser and shuffling of traits. Ain't that sweet?  Also, with those mods you can get nearly any resource in the game with bees, sort of like magic crops, but much more difficult to turn up to 11. With the right rig you can automate your entire base using only bees. Check out some of GenericB's older videos for some extreme bee breeding. Forestry also adds a lot of other cool stuff. The new Multifarms are very energy-efficient and while somewhat expensive, not hard to automate and a good return rate. MFR is still more efficient (time wise), but Forestry is definitely not dead but alive and kicking.

IC2 isn't the standard-start mod anymore. There are so many addons to BC and mods that use MJ's, that IC2 is simply not attractive at the start because it requires a power grid of it's own. Also, nearly everything in IC2 is doable, and most of the time done better, by other mods like TE or RC, or Mekanism. By the way, Mekanism adds it's own jetpacks. The only real thing IC2 has going for it is the Quantum Armor, the Crops system, and maybe UU Matter. But IC2 Experimental made using UU-Matter much more difficult, convoluted and complicated than it needed to be. On Gregtech... It really pisses me off, but it makes IC2 worth using again, if only because it offers a late-game that IC2 simply does not have. But i hate it. If i had to choose between IC2 and BC, i'd keep BC. OH, and i just remember another thing that makes BC VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY worthwhile. Motherf****  gates. Using gate conditionals on things make them SO much easier to automate or regulate, i'm not even kidding. It would be an autopick for me just for that reason, if that was the only thing that the mod offered.

Also another reason to have all of them, is that you can make more complex systems that use all of them in different ways, challenging yourself everytime. Just doing the same super-efficient tactic gets BORING after a while, so, yeah.

I also agree on Twilight Forest and Thaumcraft 4.1  They're both excellent mods.

(click to show/hide)
Tentative List:

Thaumcraft 4
Ars Magica
Buildcraft 2
ThermalExpansion
Forestry
ExtraBees
ThaumicBees
Mekanism
NotEnoughItems
Applied Energistics
Tropicraft
...Mod that makes all the rubber/ copper/ tin/ etc interchangeable.
...Some sort of minimap?

I'd add in:
Tinkerer's Construct - Great scaling on tools, very useful tools that don't break when they're dead, a VERY efficient way of ore-doubling, and some UNIQUE blocks like the Drawbridge and it's Signal Bus/Signal Terminal wireless redstone transmitting. Very useful and cool. IMO it's a must have. I feel bad when i don't have it.
Railcraft (Very cool track things, and very cool and efficient way of generating energy).
Redstone Arsenal - Adds Flux-Weapons and tools and some other cool stuff.
Open Blocks - Just loads of useful blocks
Extra Utilties - Just too many useful things to pass by. No, seriously, this mod is awesome. It even adds it's own dimension that i'll leave to you to find out... But it's dark, and it's deep. Very dark.
Forestry - Cool farms, bees, an interesting starting engine, and BEES and TREES.
Extra Bees - Makes beekeeping much saner at the cost of vast amounts of power.
Magic Bees - Since you have magic mods, why not have magic bees? SWEET!
Biomes O' Plenty - Very interesting terrain generation, MANY blocks added, many little useful bits and pieces.
Carpenter's Blocks - It makes building in Minecraft MUCH more fun. Adds in SLOPES! STAIRS! And all kinds of nifty building gadgets.
Chisel - Of course. It multiplies by infinity the amount of options you have to play with to build your den of evil.
Project Red - It's basically Redpower 2, but all new code, and most of the functionality. Sadly, no Thermopiles, no Pump of Doom, and no frames...
Calclavia MFFS - Who cares about frames? Use forcefields to move entire rigs much easier than with frames. Also a way to protect your base against invaders, and many other things.
Steve's Carts - Seriously, it adds so much cool stuff for you to do with it. Player and Item detectors, modular minecarts... You can automine with this and it'll even lay tracks down for you to go through after it's done. Or you can make a tree farm. Or ALL kinds of crazyness. Awesome synergy with Railcraft, too!
Logistics Pipes - They're back. People who played 1.2.5 knows thi mod was the bee's knees of automation. It made a comeback, but now we have AE, and that's sad because AE's so good it does everything... Well, AE is expensive and requires power. Logistics Pipes are much less expensive (Basic ones, at least), AND the mod interacts very well with AE.
Minefactory Reloaded - SIMPLE, STRAIGHTFORWARD, IN YOUR FACE automation is all this mod is about. Ver powerful blocks, with very steep energy costs, but most of the time very worthwhile. Greatly simplifies mobfarms.
and, finally, one of the newest mods:

Factory Manager by VSWE (creator of Steve's Carts. What this mod does, you might think? Well, it has a thing called an inventory cable, and if you run it across every one of your machines, you'll be able to interact with them remotely from any inventory factory manager, creating conditionals, setting triggers, and sending things where they are needed. Check it out in spotlights. I think it's still balanced on the weak side because of how powerful it is, but, still... It's amazing, you can connect your entire base with it and not have dedicated machine runs and deal with 100 covers to hide your piping and whatnot. It's crazy good!

I'd also recommend some adventuring mods, like Roguelike Dungeons and the sort. Really makes overworld exploring worthwhile.

I'll plug in some more suggestions if i can remember them. I'm falling asleep in my chair... Goodnight y'all!

EDIT: All mods by Chicken Bones(creator of NEI) should be included. They're all awesome.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 11:22:00 PM by brujon »
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 13, 2014, 12:42:23 AM »
I really like how hard isn't harder due to any rules changes, just what you start with.  And since I want to place myself without having to build around an already built structure (or demolish it later) I just play on hard.  In my current game I've come back from 8 people left, only two of them capable of having children.  So yes.  Everyone in my current 200+ village is related.  I don't think I could ever play easy because of how it starts you with houses....that are too close together for a market in the middle and too far apart for anything else.  If you could choose where these things were at the start that would be awesome.

So you haven't made a town hall and allowed nomads into your town?  That's quite an accomplishment, and must've taken you quite some time to get your population up that high!  But yes, I definitely agree that hard is far more fun and satisfying.  Only a tiny wagon to dismantle later, instead of preset buildings if they aren't placed precisely where you wanted them.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 13, 2014, 01:58:00 AM »
Well, see, I didn't know you needed it to get the nomads.  And I was frustrated saying to myself "where are the nomads!?!  I need more people!  I'm going to die this is it give me people!"  And then I recovered and got to about 125 and then built my town hall.  I got up to about 150 before I accepted my first nomads.  It took about 100 years to get up to that mark, but note that I had lost my entire population twice before.  I think the first one was at about 20 years in, I lost all but about 12, with two breeding age women, and the second was about 60 years with only one.  And I think part of the reason I blew up populationwise so fast that third time is that I had sooooo many houses built.  Enough for about 200 people, and only 10 people were there, so they just kept breeding.  I'm running into an issue again with not enough firewood, and barely enough food.  I just don't have enough woodcutters to keep up with demand.  And tools too.

On the subject of tools, how useless is the quarry and mine?  The mine I can see being used, but the quarry, I just don't think it's worth the space.  You'll not get anywhere near enough stone to make the space loss worth while.  I've emptied half of a quarry and a fourth of another, and still almost all of my stone has come from surface gathering and trade.  Same for iron and coal for the tools.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 13, 2014, 03:25:44 AM »
The quarry and mine are basically for when you can't just send labourers out to pick up stone and iron, and if trading's not frequent enough.  My first town had 1 quarry, with anywhere from 2 to 13 workers in it, based upon how much population I could afford to assign at the time, and managed to mostly keep up with my needs so I didn't need to trade for any stone at all.  I had 2 mines going as well, one working for iron, the other for coal, and combined they generally had the same number of workers as my one quarry.  Of course, I had kept my expansion slow enough to match the rate I was gaining materials.

As for food and firewood, I had 3 full forester/gatherer/hunter setups, 3 woodcutters, 3 fishing lodges, probably close to 20 8x8 farms, 10 15x13 orchards, and 5 20x20 pastures to keep my 250+ population going strong.  1 farmer on each farm, 2 on each orchard, 2 on each pasture.  That means nearly half my population was working on food production, 4 foresters per woodcutter, and 1 woodcutter per 100 population, plus I had enough leather coats for everyone plus extras, and everyone had stone housing, both of which help cut back on firewood needs.  And, I made sure everyone's educated by having enough schools (education is a huge boon to production rates!).  As for tools, I was still getting by just fine with a single blacksmith, I just made sure the storage limit for tools was at least as high as the population and that my blacksmith is working on steel tools because they last twice as long.
What do I win?

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 13, 2014, 03:45:44 AM »
I have 1 woodcutter for every 50 people, and it's not keeping up.  All stone houses and educated too.  I think part of the problem is that my blacksmiths can't keep up with demand.  NOt because they can't make tools fast enough (and yeah, steel), but because I don't have any coal, or iron, depending on where the resources are.  I have traded away tools before, but I haven't in a long time.  MOstly I trade coats.  If I have any to trade.  I'm going through these things faster than I produce them.  And my firewood is keeping up enough to keep people alive at least, I just can't get a surplus.

I do need to re-do my food production.  I've got five stations of gatherer/hunter/forester, and a number of farms, and a bunch of fishing docks, but I need to make my farms more efficient.  I made them before I knew the most efficient sizes for them, so my pastures are too small and my orchards are too small.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 13, 2014, 04:29:50 AM »
Well, I'm not sure what to say about your firewood problems.  I've been trading away firewood and herbs, because they're plentiful for me, and I get animals or seeds that I don't have in exchange.

I don't know if 8x8 farms are an ideal size for a single farmer, and I figure I could up it to 10x10 without much loss in efficiency.  But orchards are best at 15 horizontal by 13 vertical, because trees get planted at every odd space along rows and every 3rd space down after the 1st is a new row, and you can't go greater than 15 in any dimension for orchards.  Pastures, I just max out at 20x20 so I can have the maximum number of animals possible in it.
What do I win?

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 13, 2014, 08:06:07 AM »
Herbs are actually worth something for you?  For some reason, even though it gives a price, traders won't take food or herbs from me.  have not had an excess of booze yet but I'm not hopeful.  I'm thinking that because I craft it, booze might be worth something.

As for efficiency, have you been understaffing the pastures?  Cause I have, and I don't know if there's an issue with that.  They seem to produce food/resources at a sufficient pace.  Regardless, I looked up on the wiki the most efficient sizes, and farms are 8x7, 8x14, or 15x15 (or 12x13 or something, but at that point, why not go 15x15), the most efficient for pastures is either 20x20 or a number depending on type of animal, and for orchards 15x15.  So I don't know if the graphical trees are the important part.  There may be an invisible tree on that last one of something.  Or they may have just been using farmers/square and ignoring the actual yields.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 13, 2014, 12:53:58 PM »
Herbs can only be traded to certain merchants, I've found.  But those merchants under-value other goods you might wanna trade away, like firewood or iron, so herbs are actually a valuable trade good to them.  And I haven't been able to stock much booze, either, so I don't know what it's worth ...

I've found that pastures will keep producing even when understaffed, but more workers on it means faster production.  And no, I haven't looked up efficient sizes, but it's good to know that my initial 8x8 farms are close to ideal!  If orchards don't care about the actual shown trees, then yeah, I can see 15x15 being best, but if the trees do matter, then ...
What do I win?

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 13, 2014, 06:10:47 PM »
Have you notied any problem with understaffing farms/orchards?  If so then you'll want the best ratio of farmers to land, in which cause you'll want to check that.  If not, then who cares?  I think I noticed that crops aren't that big on requiring the number it says they require, but I'm not sure.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 13, 2014, 06:16:11 PM »
My farms usually reach 100% yield before getting harvested, and even if it begins to snow, the full crop is gathered in time, so I haven't had any problems with a larger farm size for a single farmer.  I haven't paid as much attention to orchards, but since they're a fair bit larger than the farms, I have 2 workers on them, and get a decent yield.
What do I win?

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #197 on: March 13, 2014, 11:35:51 PM »
In regards to Fire Emblem Awakening:

So, I've pretty much used Master Seal items on characters whenever they hit Level 20. The exception was Donnel, who I expected to transition into something truly badass after Villager. It was not to be, instead I used a Second Seal to make him into a Mercenary.

Now Panne's a Level 20 Taguel, and I notice she doesn't have a typical level cap, much like Donnel's Villager class.

Is using Master Seals a good idea long-term? Is there any good reason to use Second Seals? I already have a very well-balanced team (although Gaius is the only one with thief abilities), so changing classes to entirely new roles isn't a large concern for me.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 14, 2014, 12:39:28 AM »
Picked up "Risk of Rain" today. Hard game. Fun, though.

Anyone have strategies for it?

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 14, 2014, 12:40:44 AM »
In regards to Fire Emblem Awakening:

So, I've pretty much used Master Seal items on characters whenever they hit Level 20. The exception was Donnel, who I expected to transition into something truly badass after Villager. It was not to be, instead I used a Second Seal to make him into a Mercenary.

Now Panne's a Level 20 Taguel, and I notice she doesn't have a typical level cap, much like Donnel's Villager class.

Is using Master Seals a good idea long-term? Is there any good reason to use Second Seals? I already have a very well-balanced team (although Gaius is the only one with thief abilities), so changing classes to entirely new roles isn't a large concern for me.

I generally use Second seals to pick up new skills, such as switching from Mage to Mercenary for a couple levels to pick up Armsthrift, or Cleric for Miracle.  It's also nice because you continue to gain XP as an un-promoted unit, so you level up faster than you would by promoting. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.