Author Topic: OOC Thread  (Read 14259 times)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Honorary Mod
  • hi
    • View Profile
OOC Thread
« on: May 03, 2014, 05:45:10 PM »
So, have we actually got a fighter of any description yet?   :rolleyes

For background purposes: whatever city we're currently in (name undecided) was only raised the last few years, so it is literally impossible to have been born here. It also means a total lack of ruling experience from the archmage in charge... and you know what that means? Crime and corruption and problems with all sorts of odd creatures that shouldn't be around.  :D

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: OOC Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 07:45:22 PM »
I'm cool with playing the party fighter.

Offline Mnemnosyne

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 01:04:45 AM »
Sounds good for low-level.  And we can amass cheap quasimagical items early on for lowbie adventures, and then when adventures take us outside the mythallar radius we wind up having to get real magical items.

I'm still undecided on half-elf or human, but will pretty much certainly do a Cleric of Mystryl/Arcanist.  Raineh, assuming everything goes well, how high level do you expect the game to get to?  Will we get into the 20's and 30's, possibly becoming Archwizard(s) ourselves, or do you not expect it to go that long?  Since I try to assume that my character will survive when deciding what to do and all, it's a big deal to know whether the game will (ideally) get into the range of 5 million or more xp.

As to everyone else...what I am reasonably certain of is that my character will have been born on and lived in the Ioulaum Enclave for the early part of her life, where she trained at the temple of Mystryl there, since if I go human, her first class will be the cleric and she'll eventually dual-class into arcanist, and if I go half-elf that's also a very reasonable place for her to come from.  It'd be nice to link up some backgrounds a bit so our characters are familiar with each other - at least known each other for a couple months.  It makes it much easier to get past that early 'glower at each other in suspicion' stage that hastily gathered groups tend to have.  If we all at least journeyed to this city together in the same caravan or something it'd give us an opportunity to establish a baseline level of trust during the journey.

Ooh, possible suggestion: Since the city is new, they're probably buying lots of new materials and equipment, which probably means a lot of caravans ultimately coming from Ascore.  This establishes the most logical entrance for Linklord's character, coming in from Ascore, and lets the rest of us have traveled with the caravan, probably in hopes of finding opportunity and work in the new enclave.  We thus got to know each other during the journey.
-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth

Offline Raineh Daze

• Honorary Mod
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 08:54:19 AM »
Well, I'd like it to get to high levels; that way not only do we get to mess around with quasimagical items, we can try and deal with the damn Phaerimm in a manner that isn't 'magic collapses'. :p

Also I don't think any sort of theurge has ever raised a city, so that could be an interesting possibility. :D

Yup, new city is better for a dwarf. It also explains sending one with this little experience, since all the highly wealthy, influential guys would be tied up with the prestigious cities.

Now I'm just having trouble finding a workable map (the one in the book is a tad... not)

Offline Mnemnosyne

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 10:05:23 AM »
A long time ago, I pieced this together.  Far from perfect, but it might be useful:
(click to show/hide)
When it was scanned in for the pdf, it had a lot of oddities in sizing apparently, because the various pieces don't fit together right.
(click to show/hide)
-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth

Offline Raineh Daze

• Honorary Mod
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 01:02:18 PM »

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 02:16:45 PM »
Sooo... are we OK with me playing a dwarf?  I know you weren't sold on the idea earlier.  If not, I'm absolutely ok playing some other class.  Probably a human fighter/cleric.  I do loves me some divine gish. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Honorary Mod
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 02:45:15 PM »
Yeah, I'm fine with that.

... still amused that I roll stats randomly and use up aaaaaall my stat-rolling luck for the foreseeable future.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 03:18:15 PM »

Excellent  :D

Which do you suppose would fit the game better, a priest of Moradin (god of Dwarves, creation, smithing of all sorts, craftsmanship, war, the dwarven race, protection, metalcraft, stonework (stonemasonry, tunneling, construction), engineering, dwarven engineers, and protection), or Dumathoin (god of metals and other buried wealth, the earth's riches, ores, gems, minerals, mining, exploration, the shield dwarf race, and guardian of the dead)? 

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 03:49:19 PM »
I'm trying to decide whether to play a human (given the humanocentricity of the setting) or another race. Elf would give me -1 AC due to the Dex bump and +1 to hit with swords and bows, plus the other elf goodies like infravision and sleep/charm immunity. Any thoughts on the matter?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Honorary Mod
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 03:51:25 PM »

Excellent  :D

Which do you suppose would fit the game better, a priest of Moradin (god of Dwarves, creation, smithing of all sorts, craftsmanship, war, the dwarven race, protection, metalcraft, stonework (stonemasonry, tunneling, construction), engineering, dwarven engineers, and protection), or Dumathoin (god of metals and other buried wealth, the earth's riches, ores, gems, minerals, mining, exploration, the shield dwarf race, and guardian of the dead)? 

Moradin, we're not going to be spending all that much time on the ground, let alone under it. :p

I'm trying to decide whether to play a human (given the humanocentricity of the setting) or another race. Elf would give me -1 AC due to the Dex bump and +1 to hit with swords and bows, plus the other elf goodies like infravision and sleep/charm immunity. Any thoughts on the matter?

I would like at least one human.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 04:02:00 PM »
Wait, I thought everyone else wanted to play a human wizard or arcanist?  That's one of the reasons I picked dwarf priest to begin with  :lol

Offline Raineh Daze

• Honorary Mod
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 04:08:50 PM »
We've got a half elf theurge, and I think that's it for definites. :p

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 04:31:32 PM »
Human fighter it is. Should we make a character thread, then?

14 Str, 12 Dex, 12 Con, 14 Int, 9 Wis, 12 Cha. (Elf would have swapped Dex with Int for 14/15/11/12/9/12.)
I rolled 6 hp, 110 gp to start with.

Some notes on what to do with this...
(click to show/hide)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Honorary Mod
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 06:03:39 PM »
Also, there'd be another reason to not play an elf, anyway:

Whenever an elf was in or directly underneath a floating city,
they lost many of their innate abilities, including their sleep resistance and 50% of their charm resistance.

This also goes for half-elves:

Like the elves, half-elves felt uncomfortable in Netheril cities. For
some odd reason, whenever they were in a floating city or directly under it, they lost their innate abilities, including charm and
sleep resistance and infravision.

Also, dwarves are the best-treated demihumans, because they provide useful stuff. Elves are snobs, but at least know magic; gnomes used to be slaves and thus got the hell away when they could; and halflings (like half-elves) are treated as lower class and pushed down accordingly.

If they
didn’t use magic, they were considered a lesser culture and treated accordingly. Thus, the Netherese had only a smattering of
respect for the elves and gnomes, viewing all others as barbaric
and uncivilized (sometimes even with a bit of haughty, mightierthan-thou pity). They even viewed the dwarves with sympathy,
but their abilities in stoneworking, mining, and ore refinement
was seen as a noble alternative to magic use.

Anyway, Garryl: as a native citizen of Netheril, you'd have learnt 3 cantras, based on your INT. More-or-less: things like heating food, stringing a harp. More flavour than anything else, but you get three minor tricks you can use seven times a day, with a little ritual. If you want, I could roll on the random table here, which lists a bunch of professions. Might help for working out what your parents did/do/any other background stuff. Or you can just make it up. :p

Also, sheaf arrows haven't been invented.

However, Quasi-Magical items are incredibly cheap. We're talking 1/10 the price you'd have to pay for an actual magical item, and the flying cities are flooded with the things, so bear that in mind. This is basically the one civilisation you definitely can buy magical stuff in without difficulty. :p

Not that it'll be relevant (I am extremely doubtful you're likely to be outright buying proper magical items in Netheril), but the price of magic items that would work outside the range of a mythallar is tripled, as people don't see much of a reason to make them.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 06:16:52 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2014, 06:33:02 PM »
Wealth:  150gp Hit Points: 10

Edit:  Whelp, I've officially exhausted all my luck.  Won't roll better than a 12 for the entire campaign.

So I start with 2 Weapon Proficiencies, and get 1 every 4 levels.  One of them must be the Warhammer, per the Moradin Specialty Priest rules.  Where are the rules for weapon style specializations?  I was thinking 1H and Shield Style, but can't find anything on that.  That wasn't just something they created for Baldur's Gate, was it?

I get 6 Nonweapon Proficiency slots, and get Stonemasonry and Blacksmithing for free, but must purchase either Armorer or Weaponsmithing.  I'm thinking Armorer.  For my other 4, I can choose off the General, Warrior, or Priest lists.  What should I get besides Religion?  My initial thoughts were Gem Cutting and Appraisal, but those are on the one list I don't have access to :rolleyes.  Astrology could be fun.  Does Blind-Fighting do anything for people with Infravision?

I'll work out equipment later.  Don't feel like playing Oregon Trail right now  :P
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 06:43:54 PM by linklord231 »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2014, 08:02:44 PM »
Wealth:  150gp Hit Points: 10

Edit:  Whelp, I've officially exhausted all my luck.  Won't roll better than a 12 for the entire campaign.

Congrats!

So I start with 2 Weapon Proficiencies, and get 1 every 4 levels.  One of them must be the Warhammer, per the Moradin Specialty Priest rules.  Where are the rules for weapon style specializations?  I was thinking 1H and Shield Style, but can't find anything on that.  That wasn't just something they created for Baldur's Gate, was it?

They are in the Complete Fighter's Handbook, which I actually have! See page 61-64. They aren't quite the same as the Baldur's Gate version in their benefits, mostly relating to the lack of crit chance increases that some styles gave. Sword and Shield is completely different, though.

Note: CFH page 58 clarifies that the extra proficiencies from a high Int can be divvied among weapon and non-weapon proficiencies, so you might be able to snag a bit extra in the way of weapons. Something ranged is always good, especially at low levels.

I get 6 Nonweapon Proficiency slots, and get Stonemasonry and Blacksmithing for free, but must purchase either Armorer or Weaponsmithing.  I'm thinking Armorer.  For my other 4, I can choose off the General, Warrior, or Priest lists.  What should I get besides Religion?  My initial thoughts were Gem Cutting and Appraisal, but those are on the one list I don't have access to :rolleyes.  Astrology could be fun.  Does Blind-Fighting do anything for people with Infravision?

Blind-Fighting works to reduce the to hit penalty against invisible foes. It'll probably also work if you're properly blinded, although that's likely more niche.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Honorary Mod
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2014, 08:14:06 PM »
I've realised I could, so far, block all progress just by having a locked door. :lol

That would, of course, be rather pointless. But it's amusing nonetheless (especially as cities are known for having doors).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 08:30:28 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2014, 10:19:27 PM »
Nowhere in the Armorer NWP description does it say how much it costs to make armor.  Any thoughts?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Honorary Mod
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 10:22:35 PM »
You'd have to go home to do that; Netheril basically imports steel and iron goods (there's a reason dwarves are respected despite their not practising magic). If there're places in the empire that can work with them, they'll be in the old, established enclaves or the cities still on the ground. But, if you get the opportunity to do so... are there costs listed for the raw materials anywhere?