Author Topic: OOC Thread  (Read 14263 times)

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
Re: OOC Thread
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2014, 10:40:14 PM »
I can't find one in the PHB.  An iron pot costs 5sp, but the raw materials for a 2-handed sword costs 2gp.  I'm not sure how many pots you'd have to melt down to have enough metal for a greatsword, but it seems like more than 4. 

I was mostly looking to see if I could have crafted my starting armor myself, and how much that would cost me out of my starting funds.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Honorary Mod
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2014, 10:45:41 PM »
Please don't do that, you'd be a walking armory. :p

Also the lack of any consistent metal pricing is troublesome. For instance, said four pots are 8lbs (I think), which is only half the sword's weight.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 10:47:39 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2014, 11:04:22 PM »
Anyway, Garryl: as a native citizen of Netheril, you'd have learnt 3 cantras, based on your INT. More-or-less: things like heating food, stringing a harp. More flavour than anything else, but you get three minor tricks you can use seven times a day, with a little ritual. If you want, I could roll on the random table here, which lists a bunch of professions. Might help for working out what your parents did/do/any other background stuff. Or you can just make it up. :p

Sure, roll 'em. I'm not that good at making stuff up when it comes to the fluffier aspects of the game, so any little bit helps.

Speaking of crafting, how about bows and arrows with Bowyer/Fletcher?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Honorary Mod
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2014, 11:07:31 PM »
Sadly, you'd still have to make up the effects, the table just assigns professions. If you're going with fletching, I'd have one be something like straightening feathers out.

As for the profession? Try and find actual prices somewhere first? XD

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2014, 11:38:59 PM »

No, I'd be a walking armorer.   :P

Man, having the prices and AC values of armor in 2 different places is rather frustrating. 

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2014, 11:47:19 PM »
Sadly, you'd still have to make up the effects, the table just assigns professions. If you're going with fletching, I'd have one be something like straightening feathers out.

As for the profession? Try and find actual prices somewhere first? XD

Complete Fighter's Handbook, page 10, has info on bowyer/fletcher. You need a 10 gp tool set first, but after that the cost is negligible for arrows and wooden bows of normal quality. Ones of "truly fine quality" require either 50% of retail value or +100% time to craft to forage the perfect materials. Nothing listed for exceptional bows and arrows (+1 to hit and damage). Also, you can craft at 1/4 the listed rate if it's something you're doing around adventuring instead of a full-time job.

There's also a table with armorcrafting costs in the same book, page 7. Most of the costs are 1/2 the retail value, except for chain mail (rounded up to 38 gp), leather armor (1 gp due to easily available materials), padded armor and bucklers (both 0 gp), and medium and small shields (both rounded down to 3 and 1 gp respectively). It also has typical costs to commission the requisite apprentices and overseers to make the armor from the raw materials, and a modifier to the proficiency check for each type of armor. from +3 to -3.

No, I'd be a walking armorer.   :P

Man, having the prices and AC values of armor in 2 different places is rather frustrating. 

Best price for a given AC is...
Padded (8/4 gp)
Skip AC 7 because even studded leather is 20 gp.
Hide (6/15 gp)
Chain mail (5/75 gp) - only armor that gives AC 5
Splint mail (4/80 gp)
Then you have only 1 type for everything better...
Plate mail (3/600 gp)
Field plate armor (2/2000 gp)
Full plate armor (1/~7000 gp)

Offline Mnemnosyne

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2014, 01:06:36 AM »
Cantras were basically cantrips, and cantrips are what prestidigitation is based on in 3.5, so probably most things you can imagine as an effect of prestidigitation will work as a cantra, with the addition that they don't all expire after an hour.

A dwarf being an armorer and weaponsmith makes a lot of sense, and it's actually another potentially reasonable reason for you to be in Netheril, too.  Almost all weapons and armor used in Netheril are actually of dwarven or elven manufacture, so a dwarf or elf smith might well find a thriving market in Netheril.

As for iron pots vs. swords, keep in mind that quality of the metal is going to be a big deal.  Even a novice blacksmith can make an iron pot that'll be sufficient for cooking with cheap metals, but a sword that isn't going to break requires both superior quality metal and superior craftsmanship.

As for me, if we are going to hopefully go into high levels eventually, I've decided I'm going to be human.  Half-elf is thematically interesting, but the multiclassing instead of dual-classing is crippling if we're going to be aiming for levels 20-40.  I will begin as a priestess of Mystryl, and dual-class into an arcanist eventually.  Leveling up priest beyond 14th level (at most) is of somewhat questionable value.  Dweomerkeeper magic resistance is nice, but not enough to want to spend a full half of my xp on leveling priest beyond access to 7th level spells, since it would require getting to level 40 before being able to cast quest spells...the same point at which arcanists become able to cast 12th level spells.

110 gp and ...one hit point.

I have a bad feeling about this.   :(
-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2014, 02:29:42 AM »
Perhaps this is a dumb question, but how do you calculate saving throws?

Edit:  Nevermind, found the table.  Is there any modifiers to those other than my dwarven bonus from a high con (which I think only applies to Spells)?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 02:37:37 AM by linklord231 »

Offline Mnemnosyne

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2014, 02:37:00 AM »
Table in the PHB.  It's in Chapter 9: Combat.  You check your class and level, and go across the table from there.
-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2014, 02:43:46 AM »
Dwarven save bonus applies to rod/wand/staff saves, spell saves, and saves against poison.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Honorary Mod
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 06:19:46 AM »
The 1HP wonder! :lmao

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2014, 11:29:25 PM »
To confirm, was that a yes or a no for crafting bows and arrows?

Also relating to weapons, what are the more commonly found (quasi-)magic weapons in this setting? I know longswords amount to about 80% or so of the random weapons in the DMG, but what about for bludgeoning, piercing, and ranged weapons? I'm trying to figure out which weapons to get proficiency with and whether it might be better to go for a broader or more limited selection.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Honorary Mod
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2014, 05:45:54 AM »
Not at first; lopsided initial expenditure is something I want to avoid.

Probably still swords and maybe spears, though this doesn't mean all that much because the simple fact is you're talking about things that are really cheap to make.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Honorary Mod
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2014, 01:54:55 PM »
Max spell level 8th? I hope that's total and not this level. @_@

Offline Mnemnosyne

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2014, 04:43:57 PM »
You mean on Anjali's sheet?  That's a limitation of her Intelligence that applies to wizard spells.

Priest spells are actually more inconvenient; she needs to get her wisdom to 17 before she can cast 6th level spells, and to 18 before she can cast 7th level spells.  Means she's gonna have to get some magical items just to be able to cast her higher level spells once she reaches 11th level.  Fortunately, Netheril is one of the few places in 2nd Edition that actually has stat-improving magical items reasonably available.
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth

Offline Raineh Daze

• Honorary Mod
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2014, 05:45:41 PM »
Well, reasonably available as quasimagical items. Getting stuff for a trip outside of Netheril, except maybe on loan, will be a bitch; their value is triple normal.

Offline FlaminCows

• Push that button. Doo eeet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2014, 05:54:21 PM »
Since I'm behind everybody else in chargen, time for me to catch up.

Race: Aasimar (using the random table in Warriors of Heaven). I figure that Aasimar are "human enough" to be normal in Netheril, and with all the spellcasters laying about I expect at least a few of them would have summoned celestials for "non-combat purposes".

My rolled stats were 4x12, 13, 14. I'll put the 14 in Charisma and the 13 in Intelligence. After the Aasimar's racial mods, it is 12 Strength, 12 Dexterity, 10 Constitution, 13 Intelligence, 13 Wisdom, 15 Charisma.

Now for the fun part, the big ol' random celestial features table! (Warriors of Heaven page 88)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4492959/
First two rolls are for Aasimar Abilities, last four rolls are for Aasimar Appearance. The book does not say how many times you roll for Appearance so I assumed it to be the same as with Tieflings in the Planeswalker's Handbook (1d4 times).
Abilities gained: half damage from acid, immunity to nomagical weapons.
Appearance Gained: golden skin, roll three more times, feathered wings (MV Fly 18 [D]), naturally tanned skin, green-tinted skin, body covered in speckled markings, rolled again because duplicate, and pointed ears. Since I can't have multiple skin tones either, I crossed out two of them. I wanted to re-roll, but I kept getting even more skin tones. How many skin tones does an Aasimar need?

Class: Bard/Kismetic*
Starting Hitpoints: 5
Starting money: 130 (of which all but 3 must be spent on equipment).

*Speciality Priest of Tyche. I'd rather go speciality priest of Mystryl, but gosh, 14 intelligence. So close, and yet so far.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Honorary Mod
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2014, 06:44:59 PM »
Er... no? At no point did you ask about that, and the last thing I want to be doing is finding an entire sourcebook for one race.

Especially as you've gone far past the 'human enough' point. Half elves are lower class. The penalties for killing demihumans are far lower. You have wings. : |

Offline FlaminCows

• Push that button. Doo eeet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2014, 06:56:38 PM »
Okay, I apologise. I can PM with the sourcebook, but you are right, I should have asked. (What if I didn't have wings? Then there would be no way to tell that I'm a demihuman...) I got ahead of myself, AD&D demihumans are just too much fun.

Human Fighter will do, then. Str 14, Dex 13, everything else 12. Starting HP is 10 (fighters get max HP on first die)*. Gold is 110.

*EDIT: Before I get another DM to the head, I would like to note that this rule is in Complete Fighter's Handbook, I don't think it is in PHB. If it does not apply, here's a roll:
Rolled 1d10 : 9, total 9
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 07:08:25 PM by FlaminCows »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2014, 11:21:18 PM »
Starting HP is 10 (fighters get max HP on first die)*. Gold is 110.

*EDIT: Before I get another DM to the head, I would like to note that this rule is in Complete Fighter's Handbook, I don't think it is in PHB.

Complete Fighter's Handbook, page 4, under Classes. Note that it is only a recommendation, not a rule, and it also only applies to single-classed warriors (although that isn't an issue in this case).