Author Topic: The Game!  (Read 23951 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The Game!
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2019, 10:37:23 AM »
The elf smiles warmly and gets visibly excited as he starts to ramble.

"Humans don't talk like that, you are clearly a Subject. Don't worry, I don't experiment like the selfish bastards who ran this place and kept all of the knowledge to themselves. I have been extensively trained in proper scientific zoological observation techniques and am much more interested in learning by observation and interaction as opposed to experimentation and dissection."

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2019, 11:29:49 AM »
Tanya nods and begins to lead the way out. She surveys the ruins on the way for any sign of the cafeteria still standing to find food to feed her little girl monster friend.
Hmm.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2019, 12:49:07 PM »
Razor contemplates a moment.

"You observe, then? I observe, too. I watch the humans who watch me. Some humans talk different than other humans. You need to observe more."

They nod, then attempt to grin. The attempt is... unsettling, to say the least.

"I have contracted with the quiet human. They are leaving, so I leave now too. Follow or go your way. More will be here soon, then the blood flows."

Offline dman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2019, 01:17:42 PM »
The scion in a lab coat notices the small gathering of humanoids and calls out:  "Ho there!  Survivors!  I believe it is in our mutual best interest to recover the unique records of this facility for numerous reasons including but not limited to maintaining the integrity of our identities and assessing the threat to the surrounding countryside.  We could use your help in the search.  Mind you, the structural integrity of this facility has been severely compromised.  Try to discern and follow the underlying pattern of the load bearing substructure to minimize the danger to yourselves.  After that I suggest we make a hasty retreat before less friendly individuals come looking for us."  The two resume their search.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2019, 02:34:04 PM »
"Humans don't refer to themselves as humans, or other humans as humans, or the even less appropriate 'human-person'. Your grasp of socialization and appropriate noun usage needs improvement if you do not wish to attract notice. I have been studiously trained in the arts of observation, any individual that you observed using the phrase 'human-person' was not in fact a human."

He is too busy giving this lecture to pay attention to the lab-coated individual.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2019, 02:57:38 PM »
Razor quirks their head again and narrows their eyes whilst trying to think through the elf's lecture..

"Okay... Razor is going now with this quiet-person and this horn-person. Goodbye, talking-person. Maybe you will make a 'contract' with that talking-person and one will get help for money... Or maybe just more talking." Razor gestures at the professor before following Tanya and Tiny.

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2019, 03:35:53 PM »
The Magister waves towards the fellow scion in the lab coat. "If your wish is to control the threat level, I strongly suggest to join our quest to provide yonder horned waif with some edible provisions. I'm afraid that she's not herself when she is hungry. Only after fulfilling this task may we look for any records."

He joins the group, moving surprisingly fleet-footed for a greybeard wizard. It is almost as if the rubble weren't there as far as he is concerned.

Offline dman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2019, 07:08:31 PM »
The scions come to a stop before a sharp drop off into a large crater.  The scion in the lab coat searches back and forth as if trying to find something.

(click to show/hide)

After taking one more look around, his shoulders slump in defeat and he and the other scion turn around and make their way directly toward the group.

"On second thought, you make a convincing case for haste. I suppose formal introductions can wait. Suffice it to say that we are united in our goal to vacate the premises and help this little... Hmm..."  He kneels down, grasps his chin in his had, and gazes intently at the little girl's face.

Offline dman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2019, 07:12:32 PM »
His already impossibly magnified eyes widen.  His tone becomes grave. "Yes, we ought to help this girl right away."

Offline dman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2019, 07:31:06 PM »
"Wh...Wha...What would you like, little one?"

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2019, 08:15:31 PM »
With their "contract" agreed--wasn't that nice, making a contract? That sounded like something important to be doing, much more important than palming off useless shiny metal to help for directions--Tiny was happy to follow slowly along the rather... not intact floor. The spiky man and the science-y elf had agreed that the spiky man wasn't human and needed to work on it, which seemed like a good idea. She needed more practice at that too, the people here had been a bit friendlier when she wasn't so much bigger than them.

... though now someone with very very large eyes was for some reason staring at her.

"... food?"

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2019, 07:10:59 PM »
As the small, yet growing group began exploring, Razor makes a specific effort to observe the actions of their new peers while searching for food... or this 'cafeteria' of which they spoke. They don't understand what it is, but they do know the hunt is on for food. Do these ruins contain a special room with fresh prey? Razor could only hope.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Nytemare3701

• Honorary Mod
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2019, 01:19:39 AM »
With the dust finally settled and the group successfully navigating the rubble in their own ways, your collective knowledge of the facility leads you to the location that was previously the facility commissary. The still-drying blood within the rubble and the sun overhead both lead you to believe it was lunchtime for quite a few of the staff. There appears to be a 7ft tall black metal monolith somehow intact after the collapse, standing alone in what you guess to be the corner of the former room. The metal is smooth, except for a large slot near the bottom, as well as some numerical buttons and a metal plaque on the front. The plaque affixed to the front of it appears to be a newer addition, and seems to be the only part that was damaged by the fire and rocks.

Quote from: Plaque
Safe-Class Object (#372)
  • Insert cu    cy in  y     mination a d pres  the  uttons. To     pense cha ge, hol  b  ton.
  • Eucl d Clea   ce requir   to o erate u  er any othe   ircum  ances (No po er, e    sive use, testi  , etc.)
David got a cup of Joe. RIP Joe.
The last line appears to have been added via magic mark, as a form of graffiti.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 01:22:31 AM by Nytemare3701 »

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2019, 01:26:36 PM »
The "Magister" pokes for a couple of minutes through the rubble with his expendable staff, and produces a few boxes of cereals, rice and pasta.

"Wait over there, young horned waif, it is dangerous and cumbersome for you to venture deeper in."

With a few fleet-footed steps, the old wizard carries the boxes over.

"Me's afraid that the ovens are out of order, and that we have run out of milk, so I better hope that you like dry cereals." Not sure if she can read, he introduces the menu: "We have here chocolate flavour, vanilla flavour, cinnamon flavour, strawberry flavour and... mustard flavour??? Which otyugh has been tasked with coming up with this aberration!?"

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2019, 04:28:26 PM »
Tanya carefully makes her way to the monolith and inspects the writing. She frowns, being bad with words. Noticing a picture of a coin and an arrow to a coin shaped hole, she inserts a small number of gold coins. When buttons begin to light up, she hits them all.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 04:42:40 PM by skydragonknight »
Hmm.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2019, 04:36:37 PM »
Tiny looks around the area as the wizard fetches the strange boxes, tilting her head curiously as he names the various flavours and then pointing at one of the... unfortunately crushed remnants of what was once a person, "Shouldn't we eat that first? Otherwise it's going to be wasted..."

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2019, 04:46:46 PM »
The Magister raises an eye brow and and produces a crooked smile.

"I doubt that those are good for human consumption. But then you don't strike me as very human either... Just don't complain to me when those give you a tummy ache."

Offline dman

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2019, 05:39:06 PM »
"Well, this looks like the place.  Hmm.  Unfortunately, I don't see any food.  Do you?"  A loud growl issues from the professor's stomach.  He looks sympathetically at the little girl.  "It seems you're not the only one who needs some nourishment.  Surely there's something..." He casts about, and quickly turns away from the sight of his newfound companions to wipe a small trickle of saliva on his sleeves. 

Then he notices the obelisk.  "Ah, nothing like a good problem to override the deeper urges!"

He begins jotting some notes on a clipboard that seems to appear out of nowhere.

"Here's a possible solution, though I'm not sure that it fits the spacing, and I fear my own speculations might unduly influence your own unique solutions.  Have a look if you like." 

(click to show/hide)

As the formidable young woman pushes past and inserts a coin. He responds. "Ah, Er... I see you must already be familiar with device."  Noticing the pattern she punches in he continues "...or perhaps you just prefer a faster line of inquiry."

As he turns he sees the little girl pointing at a fresh corpse and evidence of a number of corpses.  "Oh sweet, child!  Far be it from me to take the proverbial candy... but perhaps you would be amenable to share?"

« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 05:41:27 PM by dman »

Offline Nytemare3701

• Honorary Mod
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2019, 06:25:47 PM »
The monolith is dark and unresponsive at first, with even the lights you saw being just a reflection on the surface. Nevertheless, it rumbles slightly a few moments later and dispenses a small box with a couatl mascot identifying the product as "Chocolate Prismatic Spheres" with the slogan, "taste the  spectrum".

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2019, 06:30:14 PM »
Razor stands over one of the mangled bodies covered in drying blood and sighs.

"No good."

The group, being unfamiliar with the creature, might take this as a value judgement on the waste of life. In truth, Razor laments that the blood is already drying, and therefore unsuitable for consumption.