Author Topic: A Quick Guide to: The Ruby Knight Vindicator (Alastar)  (Read 17472 times)

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
A Quick Guide to: The Ruby Knight Vindicator (Alastar)
« on: February 01, 2013, 01:24:54 AM »

« on: May 01, 2009, 10:41:58 AM »

Here is my stance:  Handbooks are arduous, tedious work.  I would write some but I always feel I don’t know enough, or they have been done by people who have gone around the subject, and I have nothing to add.

I thought about setting up this: the quick guides.

You just post a concept, come up with some tips of your own, other people can give you tips of their own, and you update the OP, so that this way, all those great tips given in threads about specific builds are not lost or become incredibly hard to get.

Let's start with the Ruby Knight Vindicator, this is an experiment.

Links to related work:
The ''Chuck, the ruby knight windicator'' build, situated here
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=852524 is a theoretical optimization build that uses the ruby knight vindicator's divine impetus and divine recovery skills to achieve great speeds and then combine it into ridiculous damage.

A playable version as well as a hilarious game account by the player behind it (I’m modest) can be found here:
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=330.0

A quick look at the RKV pros:

Full BAB: While if you have gone the cleric entry way, this can easily be replaced by divine power, if you go by the paladin way, this is a VERY nice feature, as you do not lose any BAB and you can get your iterative attacks ASAP.

Full Initiator Level progression: While you can't swap low level techniques for higher level ones, this means you still have a nice progression of maneuvers to choose from, although they are only from devoted spirit, shadow hand, stone dragon and white raven. Heck, that's a pretty wide variety!

8/10 Divine casting:[/b] This little baby here enables you to keep spellcasting, whether you are a cleric or a paladin, to it's almost full potential, a cleric 4/Crusader 1/RKV 10/Contemplative 5 (or something) build would then get level 9 spells, making sure that they are both deadly melee fighters as well as all around useful caster.

A quick look at RKV class features:

Divine Recovery: Incredibly useful skill.  You just used a very good maneuver, that you would need right now?  Fear not!! You're only one swift action and a turn undead away from having it again, and laying waste to your opponents!  Onwards friends, this is the ''constancy'' power of the RKV.

Armored Stealth: [/b] Ohhhh what's that madam Wee-Ja? You gave me this bread baker for my 5th level? ooooh well I’m going to bake all my bread now!!!  Face it, you’re not going to be a scout, this is as good as useless to you, but heck, it doesn't cost anything, so up your hide skill from -4 to +1, go ahead, do it, doooooo eeeeeeet.

Divine Impetus:[/b]   Evil Laugh Reality is for suckers, I think I'm going to break it.  This skill allows you to gain a number of swift actions equal to your remaining turn undead attempts per day.  Just by hearing that, several options popped into your head, all of them nearly overpowered?  Yeah, that's what the intended effect is.  One of the best class powers in the whole system, if not the best.

Divine Fury:    Gain +4 to attack rolls and 1d10 damage on a martial strike or gain an additional swift action?  Hmmm let me think… I’m gonna go with ''thumbs down'' for this level 9 RKV ability.

Now that you've seen this, you decided a good thing would be for you to go the RKV way, props to you, welcome to the ''gang''.

Now how to get in?

Let's look at requirements:Skills: 4 Ranks in Hide and intimidate, as well as 8 ranks in Knowledge (religion). pretty easy to get, just pick a class with knowledge (religion) as a class skill, and get the others cross class, no biggy.  this means you can easily get in by your 6th level as a full fledged RKV.

Martial Maneuvers: at least one Devoted spirit maneuver. Easily filled by one level of crusader or the Martial Study Feat to get a maneuver.

Martial Stancess:  at least one Devoted Spirit Stance. Yes, with two s' in the book ^^.  Same here, 1 level dip of crusader or the Martial Stance feat. 

Deity: Wee Ja.  All Flavour, no problem, can be modified for any fitting god in other campaigns, but ask your Dm if you're planning on doing that.

Special: ability to turn or rebuke undead.  Unless you're somehow planning to take a 1 level dip in dread necromancer just to be weird, this pretty much means you're either gonna be some sort of paladin, or a cleric, maybe a sacred exorcist.

[/size]Entry Paths

Paladin 4/Crusader 1: Simple, tankish, all you require to get into RKV and more, this means you’re probably the party BSF, oh I’m sorry, tank, and you're going to go all the way into hitting people over with devoted spirit maneuvers, with maybe a little shadow hand mobility.

Cleric 4/Crusader 1: Main spellcaster build, this ensures you're getting level 9 spells, while still having a lot of front line power from the devoted spirit maneuvers.

Cleric 2/Crusader 3:  Mostly a manifesting side, you want to be a big stick that is hard to take down and is further buffed by the cleric side, probably going for the level 9 devoted spirit maneuvers.

Swordsage 2/Cleric 2/Crusader 1:  you're going for chuck, stop doing that, breaking games is bad.

Crusader 4/Cleric 1: while not as strong in the long run it does offer the fastest possible way to acquire Thicket of Blades stance (level 6)

The following two are by Ninjarabbit
crusader7/blackguard3/RKV10  Gives you all you need, and charisma to saves.

paladin4/crusader1/pioustemplar2/RKV10/crusader3  With the added bonus of Mettle

Check out the builds section for more entry paths.

Spells:Cleric
Divine Favor
Divine Power
Righteous Might
Righteous Wrath of the Faithful
Superior Resistance
Divine agility
Greater Visage of the Deity
Magic Vestment
Greater Magic Weapon
Death Ward

**open to suggestions**

Paladin
Divine Favor
Greater Magic weapon
Magic Vestment
Holy Sword
Death Ward
Divine Sacrifice
Rhino's rush
Knight's move
Strength of Stone
Diamondsteel
Draconic Might

Maneuvers:-If you have a way to mitigate the Con damage, Greater Divine Surge is awesome
-Aura of Perfect Order is nice to get that average roll once every round
-Castigating Strike is a "meh" double threat (area damage + small debuff)
-Immortal Fortitude means "I (somewhat) have 3 lives"
-the healing maneuvers in general help a little
-if the RKV uses a shield, both shield maneuvers are great
-for battle field control RKVs, Thicket of Blades is a nice addition
-Entangling Blade offers no save and is amazing at keeping foes around you
-White Raven tactics, to make someone near you act just after you as a swift action.

Feats:-DMM Quicken for obvious reasons
-Practiced Spellcaster to keep you afloat on CL
Submitted by prime32- Battle Blessing, if you add this to the prestige paladin class option, you become near unstoppable.**subject to DM approval**
-Extra Granted Maneuver is always nice

Builds:[/b]

Paladin 4/Crusader 1/RKV 10/Paladin +2/Crusader +3. Get 4th level paladin spells get 7th level Crusader maneuvers.  You're probably going to use Battle Blessing with Divine Impetus to deadly buffing effects.

Cleric 4/Crusader 1/RKV 10/Contemplative 5.  You are CoDzilla, you win at everything.  Forever.  Heavy cleric buffing mixed with level 6 maneuvers means you're better at every class daring to call itself melee, in melee.  You also get level 9 spells, you are unstoppable, no one is better than you, raaah.  Except for druids maybe...

Cloistered Cleric 1/Crusader 3/Ordained Champ 1/RKV 7/Ordained Champion +4/Contemplative 4:
(thanks to Akalsaris) Ordained Champion from CC is another PrC that meshes well with RKV if you intend to be the party tank.  It loses MORE caster levels, but you can spontaneously cast from the war domain, can channel spells into your weapon (saves actions), and can auto-quicken war domain spells (including divine power and blade barrier).  Combined with two swift actions a round that means you can cast two quickened flame strikes per round in addition to making a full attack, for example.

- Archivist 11/Sacred Exorcist 1/Crusader 1/RKV 7
(Omen of Peace)

- Archivist 7/Sacred Exorcist 1/Crusader 1/RKV 10/Contemplative 1(Omen of Peace)

- Cloistered Cleric 1/Archivist 3/Crusader 1/RKV 10/Contemplative 5: (Omen of Peace) SE can also be replaced by a Cloistered Cleric dip for the usual Domain power + Devotion feats mix - or simply to get into RKV earlier.

- Crusader 5/Soldier of Light 1/RKV 10/Crusader +4 (maneuver-focused)(Omen of Peace): It should be possible to do a build with Soldier of Light (from Deities & Demigods) if you wave the Wee Jas fluff prereq.  You can go to SoL 2 if you want Divine Grace.

Paladin4/crusader3inecrusader2/RKV10/crusader1
Thanks to NinjaRabbit 9th level spells in one domain, IL of 17

Submitted by gorfnad
Ruby Knight Vindicat"Ur"s
Human Paragon (with Able Learner feat) 1/ Crusader 4/ Ur-Priest 2/ Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/ Crusader 3
Paladin of Tyranny 2/ Hexblade 3/ Crusader 3/ Ur-Priest 2/ Ruby Knight Vindicator 10

Pouncing Vindicators
Swordsage 2/ Cloistered Cleric  (Travel, Darkness)1/ Crusader 2/ Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/ Telfammar Shadowlord 5
Mystic Ranger 4/ Cloistered Cleric 1/ Crusader 1/ Swordsage 2/ Ruby Knight Vindicator 8/ Telfammar Shadowlord 4
Rogue 3/ Cloistered Cleric 1/ Crusader 1/ Ruby Knight Vindicator 10 / Telfammar Shadowlord 5
Rogue 3/ Human Paragon 1/ Crusader 1/ Ur-Priest 2/ Ruby Knight Vindicator 7/ Contemplative 1 (Travel Domain)/ Human Paragon 1/ Telfammar Shadowlord 4

Mage Stalking Vindicator
Mystic Ranger 4/ Knight of the Raven 3/ Stalker of Kharash 2/ Crusader 1/ Ruby Knight Vindicator 10 (Arcane Hunter ACF, Sword of the Arcane Order feat)

More TO than PO, here's the knight of shadows , made by yours truly.
[/color]http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=333.0
Cleric 3/Swordsage 1/Crusader 1/Crinti Shadow Marauder 5/Swashbuckler 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator 7/Swordsage +2, this allows you to pounce an absurd number of times in a given round, and each pounce causing devastating damage.  Plus, the dual IL progression is always nice.
[/size]« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 09:14:11 PM by Alastar »[/t][/color]