Author Topic: Psionic Tricks Handbook: Brainstorms - originally by kalaskaagathas  (Read 74977 times)

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
Inspired by some of the stuff in this thread I've decided to try my hand at writing a Psionic Tricks Handbook.  It would be a sort of clearing house for psionic tricks, tactics, and combos.  Trouble is, I'm no expert on what tricks you can pull with Psionics.  So I humbly ask for help in this endeavor.

The MoI Recharge Trick -
(click to show/hide)

The Meditation Hustle -
(click to show/hide)

The Mad Minute-
(click to show/hide)

Move by Wire-
(click to show/hide)

The Save Game Trick-
(click to show/hide)

The Embrace of Mother Earth-
(click to show/hide)

You Squared-
(click to show/hide)

Tiny von BigMcLargeHuge-
(click to show/hide)

The Fistfull of Manifester Arrows-
(click to show/hide)

The Masochistic Crystal Trick-
(click to show/hide)

The Psionic Dreadnought-
(click to show/hide)

ACMA and ACME-
(click to show/hide)

The Carmen San Diego Trick-
(click to show/hide)

The Psionic Last Breath Trick-
(click to show/hide)

Do the Wight Thing-
(click to show/hide)

The Feat Battery Trick-
(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 12:39:42 PM by nijineko »

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
Re: Psionic Tricks Handbook: Brainstorms - by kalaskaagathas
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 01:15:53 AM »
Garryl's Casual Disconcern for the Action Economy-
(click to show/hide)

The Psionic Sandwich-
(click to show/hide)

Nijineko's Steal Steel-
(click to show/hide)

Suck it Wizards, (Su) Psi and You- ***(This trick may have been dis-proven. See spoiler for details.)
(click to show/hide)

Power Surge-
(click to show/hide)

Suicide (A Do the Wight Thing Variant)-
(click to show/hide)

Diamonds are Forever-
(click to show/hide)

Shards of Leadership-
(click to show/hide)

Frickin' Laser Beams-
(click to show/hide)

Erudite Concerto-
(click to show/hide)

MoI Infini-manifesting
(click to show/hide)

Erudite Chameleon
(click to show/hide)

Larval Harvest
(click to show/hide)

Larval Harvest II
(click to show/hide)

Sleep It Off
(click to show/hide)

So, if you've got any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.  Also, I'm not sure that the MoI Recharge Trick or the Move by Wire trick work, though, so if they don't let me know.  And if you can think of a way to make them work, even better.

Acknowledgements
(click to show/hide)

Changelog
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 01:19:02 PM by nijineko »

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 12:17:13 PM »
A method of getting (Su) powers that is completely legal with no questionable interpretations is as follows:

Character A is a Binder, bound to any of the psionic vestiges.  All vestige granted abilities are Su in nature, and the online articles introducing the psionic vestiges even backs this up stating the granted manifesting ability is all Su.  However, the powers granted are kinda meh and difficult to abuse this with.

Character B is a full manifester with Metaconcert.  When manifesting Metaconcert, Character A is designated as the conductor.  As such, he can draw upon the powers known of Character B and manifest them as Su abilities.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 04:38:48 PM »
Some of these tricks are extremely TO in nature, isn't it better to move this to You Break it You Buy It?
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 06:38:23 PM »
well, it was in the handbooks section on the old forums, so i put it here. i wasn't planning on judging which is and isn't TO, but i see your point. i like referring to this handbook as both a player and a dm. useful to know what tricks to look out for. I would like to see a handbook for non-psionic tricks of all levels, consolidated into one someday... sort of like the old dirty tricks threads.

Offline brainpiercing

• PbP Game Master
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 08:54:22 AM »
Psiwarrior MOI Infinimanifesting is missing:

What you need:

Psywarrior, Azure Talent, Psycarnum Infusion (Psionic Mediation)

Reduce PPs to 0 with regular manifestation. You are now no longer a psionic creature, can't psionically focus. Take a Power crystal that contains 1PP, now you CAN psionically focus again. Expend focus to treat Azure talent as completely filled. Immediately manifest for those PPs, your single PP from the crystal is safe, since you can't mix sources. After the round you have 0 again, but since there are no rules for below 0 PPs, you never go below.

Doable by level
: 1 (Human, Azurin). Any with two flaws. Suggested race: Dragonborn Water Orc for beefy 10 Wis psywar. :).

Later you can do it every round, and manifest a standard action power every round. With psycrystal it gets better, yet.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 08:56:03 AM by brainpiercing »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 09:56:11 AM »

What you need:

Reduce PPs to 0 with regular manifestation. You are now no longer a psionic creature, can't psionically focus. Take a Power crystal that contains 1PP, now you CAN psionically focus again. Expend focus to treat Azure talent as completely filled. Immediately manifest for those PPs, your single PP from the crystal is safe, since you can't mix sources. After the round you have 0 again, but since there are no rules for below 0 PPs, you never go below.

Doable by level
: 1 (Human, Azurin). Any with two flaws. Suggested race: Dragonborn Water Orc for beefy 10 Wis psywar. :).

Later you can do it every round, and manifest a standard action power every round. With psycrystal it gets better, yet.
I never understood this logic. There aren't rules for what happens when you go below 0 PP (other than that you can't spend more PP than you have and the rules about being at 0 PP), which is true. However, are there any rules saying you can't have negative PP, or that if an effect would reduce your PP below 0 it instead reduces it to 0? Anything that actually says that negative PP scores don't exist?

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 10:50:46 AM »
Reduce PPs to 0 with regular manifestation. You are now no longer a psionic creature, can't psionically focus.

this is actually not true. while it is true that you cannot focus without power points, the qualification for being a psionic character, is having a power point reserve... not how many power points you have. same as natural armor, or an incarnum pool. even a humanoid has natural armor, it is just 0 normally. but creatures do not get an incarnum pool or a power point reserve unless they take a feat or class level or race or template.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:40:10 PM by nijineko »

Offline brainpiercing

• PbP Game Master
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 11:29:21 AM »

What you need:

Doable by level

I never understood this logic. There aren't rules for what happens when you go below 0 PP (other than that you can't spend more PP than you have and the rules about being at 0 PP), which is true. However, are there any rules saying you can't have negative PP, or that if an effect would reduce your PP below 0 it instead reduces it to 0? Anything that actually says that negative PP scores don't exist?
The thing is that many things state what you can do when you HAVE PPs, and what you can't do when you don't have them. But there is no mention of going below 0. The Power Leech power cannot drain below 0. You don't get negative bonus PPs when going below 10 on your governing ability. There are several spells and powers that grant PPs to another person or yourself, even temporarily, and when these are used and then the spell or power expires, the PP reserve of the recipient is not negative.
Since psionics is not something where real-world deduction works, it would be quite safe to assume that you can't do anything that isn't stated, which means you can't actually drain a reserve below 0. Saying otherwise might be desirable, but it would be a house rule.

And since this is a thread about psionic tricks, there is really no difference between this and psionic recharge, except you can do this at level 1, and psionic recharge at some point becomes very slow. (100s of rounds.) With this trick you can always manifest an unaugmented power up to your highest power level, I believe, as long as you have the required actions.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 02:18:08 PM »

What you need:

Doable by level

The thing is that many things state what you can do when you HAVE PPs, and what you can't do when you don't have them. But there is no mention of going below 0. The Power Leech power cannot drain below 0. You don't get negative bonus PPs when going below 10 on your governing ability. There are several spells and powers that grant PPs to another person or yourself, even temporarily, and when these are used and then the spell or power expires, the PP reserve of the recipient is not negative.
Since psionics is not something where real-world deduction works, it would be quite safe to assume that you can't do anything that isn't stated, which means you can't actually drain a reserve below 0. Saying otherwise might be desirable, but it would be a house rule.

And since this is a thread about psionic tricks, there is really no difference between this and psionic recharge, except you can do this at level 1, and psionic recharge at some point becomes very slow. (100s of rounds.) With this trick you can always manifest an unaugmented power up to your highest power level, I believe, as long as you have the required actions.

this does not duplicate psionic recharge.

azure talent grants you power points = to 2x the number of essentia invested in  the feat, subject to your max essentia cap.

psycarnum infusion grants virtual max essentia capacity in one of your soul-melds, incarnum feats, class features, or other incarnum receptacles, until the start of your next turn, or effectively one round, in exchange for expending focus.

furthermore, you cannot gain focus unless your reserve is above 0pp, thus a crystal does not work.

example: let's pretend the max essentia capicity for this example is 3, and our power points are 1.
step one: expend focus, activating psy-inf, targeting, azu-tal.
step two: gain 6pp until next turn.
step three: on next turn pp return to 0, as the azu-tal deactivates. you must regain focus. same source rules apply, so multiple applications overlap instead of stack.

therefore, even though you cannot recharge, you can manifest on empty, so long as you can focus. which is worth a trick.

if i am missing something, please point out the rule/book/page so that i can amend accordingly.

in any case, the trick as i understand it has been added and credited to brainpiercing.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:41:50 PM by nijineko »

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 02:37:29 PM »
A method of getting (Su) powers that is completely legal with no questionable interpretations is as follows:

Character A is a Binder, bound to any of the psionic vestiges.  All vestige granted abilities are Su in nature, and the online articles introducing the psionic vestiges even backs this up stating the granted manifesting ability is all Su.  However, the powers granted are kinda meh and difficult to abuse this with.

Character B is a full manifester with Metaconcert.  When manifesting Metaconcert, Character A is designated as the conductor.  As such, he can draw upon the powers known of Character B and manifest them as Su abilities.

i have a question: i see nothing in metaconcert that would allow the blending of class features, such as manifesting one participants powers known as another participants (SU) abilities. the metaconcert would certainly have access to all the abilities, but not the ability to mix and match parts. now if there was a psionic version of geomancer, i would be more inclined to go with this idea.

i say this does not work at all. can you show me otherwise? (rule/book/page)

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 02:47:55 PM »

i have a question: i see nothing in metaconcert that would allow the blending of class features, such as manifesting one participants powers known as another participants (SU) abilities. the metaconcert would certainly have access to all the abilities, but not the ability to mix and match parts. now if there was a psionic version of geomancer, i would be more inclined to go with this idea.

The reason why it works is that the Binder is set as the Conductor (and thus controls the metaconcert), not the manifester of Metaconcert.  Since his manifesting ability is Su in nature, so are any powers manifested via this method.  There is no mixing of class features involved, merely granting more PP and powers known to a Su manifester (as well as the other benefits and drawbacks of the power)

The fact a Binder's manifesting ability is Su is explicitly stated in the sidebar here.

Now, if the peerson who manifested Metaconcert were the conductor, it wouldn't work this way as they would be manifested in the normal way.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:51:48 PM by snakeman830 »
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 03:19:28 PM »

The reason why it works is that the Binder is set as the Conductor (and thus controls the metaconcert), not the manifester of Metaconcert.  Since his manifesting ability is Su in nature, so are any powers manifested via this method.  There is no mixing of class features involved, merely granting more PP and powers known to a Su manifester (as well as the other benefits and drawbacks of the power)

The fact a Binder's manifesting ability is Su is explicitly stated in the sidebar here.

Now, if the peerson who manifested Metaconcert were the conductor, it wouldn't work this way as they would be manifested in the normal way.

after careful review of both the link provided (thank you so much!) and metaconcert, i still have to disagree.

my reasons:

a) the effect of the metaconcert is the creation of an entity which manifests the powers.
b) the only thing transferred from the participants to the entity, is power points, and powers known. technically, not even the ability to manifest is transferred.
c) the entity manifests the powers, getting bonuses specified based on number of participants, not the conductor with the (SU) abilities.
d) the conductor commands the entity, but is not the entity, nor really even a part of the entity.
e) technically speaking, everyone in the metaconcert can still manifest stuff normally on their turn, in addition to the entity. only movement is restricted. so, this is the original "they were eleven" power.

*edit*
f) the entity can manifest powers and psi-likes. no mention of supernatural. ergo, no supernaturals.

now i have three questions:

what are the entity's manifester level and saves based on, since it gets bonuses to saves and dc to manifest powers... from whom or what does it base those saves and dcs on?

since the power is manifested by one individual, i think it stands to reason that it is based on the manifester's saves and dcs, regardless of whom the conductor might be. which would wind up being further circumstantial against class abilities that are not powers or psi-likes. and if it can manifest psi-likes, whose can it manifest, since the only thing transferred are power points and powers known?

and can participants be targeted individually, or are they  all "covered" by the entity?

i think i can see some hints as to what was supposed to be RAI, but, wow, this power needs some clarification.

any further thoughts or suggestions?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 04:05:34 PM by nijineko »

Offline brainpiercing

• PbP Game Master
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 05:06:42 AM »

this does not duplicate psionic recharge.
It doesn't, which is why it's best for low-level psywars. I don't exactly remember what the max incarnum capacity for feats can become, so it may be that 5th or 6th level powers are the highest you can ever cast. Which again makes it best for psywars. Also, obviously without being able to double-focus you can't apply metapsionics.

What I meant with my earlier statement was that it's in no way worse from a balance perspective than recharge.
azure talent grants you power points = to 2x the number of essentia invested in  the feat, subject to your max essentia cap.

psycarnum infusion grants virtual max essentia capacity in one of your soul-melds, incarnum feats, class features, or other incarnum receptacles, until the start of your next turn, or effectively one round, in exchange for expending focus.
Which I believe I said... or maybe not precisely enough.
furthermore, you cannot gain focus unless your reserve is above 0pp, thus a crystal does not work.
Quote from: SRD
If you have 1 or more power points available, you can meditate to attempt to become psionically focused.
Yes, a Cognizance crystal does work. You have 1PP available. If you can manifest powers you can also become focused.
example: let's pretend the max essentia capicity for this example is 3, and our power points are 1.
step one: expend focus, activating psy-inf, targeting, azu-tal.
step two: gain 6pp until next turn.
step three: on next turn pp return to 0, as the azu-tal deactivates. you must regain focus. same source rules apply, so multiple applications overlap instead of stack.
This I don't get. You never apply anything twice at the same time, so nothing can overlap. If you are able to use Psycarnum infusion twice in one round then indeed they overlap. I don't see a practical application of this, though, unless you use cascading action granting linked power shenanigans.

therefore, even though you cannot recharge, you can manifest on empty, so long as you can focus. which is worth a trick.

if i am missing something, please point out the rule/book/page so that i can amend accordingly.

in any case, the trick as i understand it has been added and credited to brainpiercing.
I didn't invent the thing, even though I discussed it on the old boards, and IIRC was among those who made sure that it actually does work like it does, and also made the restrictions clear:
- You can't assign stuff to Azure Talent in the morning, or else it may get locked and iffy things may happen by strict logic
- You have to have an empty reserve or else iffy things happen when you spend PPs which may or may not come from your bonus PPs
- you have to accept that Psycarnum infusion breaks common Incarnum feat rules. If you don't, the feat is rather useless.

How do you break the trick:
- I'm thinking the GM could say you have to log bonus PPs for the day. Use the trick once, get X bonus PPs. Use some of them, the next time you use the trick you don't get new bonus PPs, simply the same ones (which have already been used) again. This could be supported by strict reading of Azure Talent, if you don't believe Psycarnum Infusion breaks that clause. I believe it does break the 1/day clause.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 11:57:07 AM »
Yes, a Cognizance crystal does work. You have 1PP available. If you can manifest powers you can also become focused.

i think that examining a larger section of your quoted area might change your mind. emphasis mine.

Gain Psionic Focus

Merely holding a reservoir of psionic power points in mind gives psionic characters a special energy. Psionic characters can put that energy to work without actually paying a power point cost—they can become psionically focused as a special use of the Concentration skill.

If you have 1 or more power points available, you can meditate to attempt to become psionically focused. The DC to become psionically focused is 20. Meditating is a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity. When you are psionically focused, you can expend your focus on any single Concentration check you make thereafter. When you expend your focus in this manner, your Concentration check is treated as if you rolled a 15. It’s like taking 10, except that the number you add to your Concentration modifier is 15. You can also expend your focus to gain the benefit of a psionic feat—many psionic feats are activated in this way.

Once you are psionically focused, you remain focused until you expend your focus, become unconscious, or go to sleep (or enter a meditative trance, in the case of elans), or until your power point reserve drops to 0.

i believe that your quoted section refers to the sections i put in bold.

A cog-crystal does not add to your power point reserve.

A user cannot directly replenish her personal power points from those stored in a cognizance crystal, nor can she draw power points from more than one source to manifest a power.

when your reserve is 0, you cannot focus. cog crystals cannot add to your reserve. therefore, a cog crystal will not work for this trick, even though the cog crystal is providing 1pp.

This I don't get. You never apply anything twice at the same time, so nothing can overlap. If you are able to use Psycarnum infusion twice in one round then indeed they overlap. I don't see a practical application of this, though, unless you use cascading action granting linked power shenanigans.

this, plus the previous comment were both targeted at explaining why it does not work like recharge, as was implied (or so i thought) by a comment made earlier.

I didn't invent the thing, even though I discussed it on the old boards, and IIRC was among those who made sure that it actually does work like it does, and also made the restrictions clear:
- You can't assign stuff to Azure Talent in the morning, or else it may get locked and iffy things may happen by strict logic
- You have to have an empty reserve or else iffy things happen when you spend PPs which may or may not come from your bonus PPs
- you have to accept that Psycarnum infusion breaks common Incarnum feat rules. If you don't, the feat is rather useless.

How do you break the trick:
- I'm thinking the GM could say you have to log bonus PPs for the day. Use the trick once, get X bonus PPs. Use some of them, the next time you use the trick you don't get new bonus PPs, simply the same ones (which have already been used) again. This could be supported by strict reading of Azure Talent, if you don't believe Psycarnum Infusion breaks that clause. I believe it does break the 1/day clause.

you brought it to my attention, so you get credited. i can have changed the wording to more strongly imply that you told me about it rather than invented it if you like. or, if you find the original creators, i can credit them too.

i almost always double check work, even if they are a trusted source. I like to be able to explain from my own knowledge, rather than having to say that i'm assuming it works 'cause someone said so'. but then i get yelled at for "not trusting" a lot as a result, so... yymv.

i happen to agree that you should leave the feat uninvested if you plan to temp charge it. so long as you never spend more than the pp granted by the feat, once activated, then even if your reserve is not 0, it should work fine. i also think that since it is a temp effect, that uses the wording to the effect of "as if maxed" that it does not actually max it.

i'll add those restrictions to the post, useful that.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 12:15:23 PM by nijineko »

Offline brainpiercing

• PbP Game Master
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 04:15:29 AM »
Hmm, I still disagree about not being able to focus with a Cog crystal. However, your reasoning is good, it just boils down to weighting of the sentences.

So the only thing that remains is recharging your Cog Crystals when empty, which you can do once you can cast Bestow Power on yourself from a crystal. OR you go full action-boosting shenanigans that must allow you to both manifest Bestow Power AND another power in one round so that you can Infinicast every round. As is, every other round should still work.

This turns it from a Psywarrior trick into a psion trick, since I'm not sure Psywars can even cast Bestow Power.

Offline kalaskaagathas

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 04:43:48 AM »
I'm glad to see this got ported over.  I still need to clean it up, get everything from the threads at BG and GitP, get it formatted, and post the handbook proper.  Unfortunately, I'm pretty busy with school at the moment, so it may be a little while.  In the mean time, keep the tricks coming!  I may want to start a Brainstorming Thread Mk. II, just so everyone can post to it, but that's work for tomorrow.

Anyhow, I'm glad to know that this has been of benefit to somebody, and I want everyone to know that I haven't forgotten about it.
Fortune, good-night: smile once more; turn thy wheel!

Call me KA

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 04:45:19 PM »
Hmm, I still disagree about not being able to focus with a Cog crystal. However, your reasoning is good, it just boils down to weighting of the sentences.

So the only thing that remains is recharging your Cog Crystals when empty, which you can do once you can cast Bestow Power on yourself from a crystal. OR you go full action-boosting shenanigans that must allow you to both manifest Bestow Power AND another power in one round so that you can Infinicast every round. As is, every other round should still work.

This turns it from a Psywarrior trick into a psion trick, since I'm not sure Psywars can even cast Bestow Power.

i guess we'll have to agree to disagree. i don't see how reserve = 0pp = cannot focus, and cog-crys cannot replenish reserve can be viewed differently than cog-crys cannot be used to focus, but perhaps i'm being too narrow minded or missing a critical point. if so, i apologize.

for psywars, the EK feat should get any psionic class the bestow power on their powers known list.

I'm glad to see this got ported over.  I still need to clean it up, get everything from the threads at BG and GitP, get it formatted, and post the handbook proper.  Unfortunately, I'm pretty busy with school at the moment, so it may be a little while.  In the mean time, keep the tricks coming!  I may want to start a Brainstorming Thread Mk. II, just so everyone can post to it, but that's work for tomorrow.

Anyhow, I'm glad to know that this has been of benefit to somebody, and I want everyone to know that I haven't forgotten about it.

anytime you want the thread back, i'll happily turn it over. =D i just felt it too important to lose. take your time.

Offline phaedrusxy

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The iconic spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 12:37:51 AM »
I used the Feat Battery trick to spectacular effect with Eddie, my thrallherd psion. I also combined it with the "psionic sandwich" and "big guy is with me".

I doubt I "originally" came up with the feat battery trick, but I think I did at least independently come up with it for that build.
I don't pee messages into the snow often , but when I do , it's in Cyrillic with Fake Viagra.  Stay frosty my friends.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 01:07:05 AM »
I used the Feat Battery trick to spectacular effect with Eddie, my thrallherd psion. I also combined it with the "psionic sandwich" and "big guy is with me".

I doubt I "originally" came up with the feat battery trick, but I think I did at least independently come up with it for that build.

i don't think the psycrystal - feat thing is legit by raw, but many do, so other than adding my reasons for why, i left those alone. however, on a personal note, i think sidekick types should be able to be independent if the character dies, and thus should get feats - be it familiars, mounts or psicrystals or whatever. i just don't think raw supports it. ^^