Author Topic: The Archivist Handbook v2 - Discussion Thread  (Read 8274 times)

Offline Mooncrow

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The man who will be Pirate King
    • View Profile
The Archivist Handbook v2 - Discussion Thread
« on: December 09, 2011, 09:25:44 AM »
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=185

Feel free to make suggestions, criticisms, w/e

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
Re: The Archivist Handbook v2 - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 02:35:47 AM »
You might want to nudge Heal up to black because of the Healing Lorecall spell.  Getting rid of all those conditions is rather nice, especially if you've got a Vigor going on people.

Offline Mooncrow

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 05:01:58 PM »
Hmm, I suppose it is better than Craft or Profession at least.  I'll make a note of it. 

Offline Yirrare

• Vano Runca - Best NPC name ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 12:23:48 PM »
Hello there.

I am currently playing an archivist following yours (and Phaxi's) guide. It's been a huge help. There are however some things that I find odd. Maybe I am missing something, or maybe the guide could use some clarification at some places.

It is mostly from the equipment section. You suggest getting a buckler, shield spikes and a quarterstaff for a weapon (when you get 6:th level spells).
The only problem is that a buckler can't have shieldspikes... You could throw them onto a Darkwood heavy shield (0 armourcheck penalty means you can use it without proficiency  :D), but if you do that you can't wield the quarterstaff, seeing that is it a double weapon...
Also, the reason for the spikes on both armour and shield is to get them as defending. The wording for defending, although worded poorly, might make it applicable only for swords...

I think you should clarify more when you think it is a good idea to use a buckler + quarterstaff and when to use a Spiked heavy shield + gauntlet (or some other 1h/light weapon). I would also suggest putting in a note that people should check with their DM whether defending work for all weapons, or just swords.

Thank you for a good guide
Yirrare

Edit: Also, on what I wrote above... It might be good to point out to people that Spiked shield + 1H/light weapon gives the same number of "slots" for defending as the quarterstaff. (Making it Warning defending/defending is probably a great idea.)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 12:31:25 PM by Yirrare »

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 12:34:32 PM »
Hello there.

I am currently playing an archivist following yours (and Phaxi's) guide. It's been a huge help. There are however some things that I find odd. Maybe I am missing something, or maybe the guide could use some clarification at some places.

It is mostly from the equipment section. You suggest getting a buckler, shield spikes and a quarterstaff for a weapon (when you get 6:th level spells).
The only problem is that a buckler can't have shieldspikes... You could throw them onto a Darkwood heavy shield (0 armourcheck penalty means you can use it without proficiency  :D), but if you do that you can't wield the quarterstaff, seeing that is it a double weapon...
Also, the reason for the spikes on both armour and shield is to get them as defending. The wording for defending, although worded poorly, might make it applicable only for swords...

I think you should clarify more when you think it is a good idea to use a buckler + quarterstaff and when to use a Spiked heavy shield + gauntlet (or some other 1h/light weapon). I would also suggest putting in a note that people should check with their DM whether defending work for all weapons, or just swords.

Thank you for a good guide
Yirrare

Edit: Also, on what I wrote above... It might be good to point out to people that Spiked shield + 1H/light weapon gives the same number of "slots" for defending as the quarterstaff. (Making it Warning defending/defending is probably a great idea.)
Sorry, but a DM that rules that Defending only works on swords because of the unfortunate word choice in the DMG is simply being overly pedantic.  Warnings against individual DMs' house-rules seem a bit much to me, as there's potentially no end to what may be in play at a given table.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

shugenja handbook; talk about it here

Offline Mooncrow

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 02:20:37 PM »
Yeah, I think I agree with InnaBinder - there are just too many variables to try and list out warnings for everything.  If anything, I would be more likely to cut out the sections on equipment than to try and cover every possible scenario.  Personally, I think it's more relevant to the gish type of archivist, and I don't have enough experience there to give reliable advice.

Offline Yirrare

• Vano Runca - Best NPC name ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 02:45:25 PM »
Sorry, but a DM that rules that Defending only works on swords because of the unfortunate word choice in the DMG is simply being overly pedantic.  Warnings against individual DMs' house-rules seem a bit much to me, as there's potentially no end to what may be in play at a given table.
While I understand what your point is, I would argue the defending enchantment will only work on swords by RAW. Yes, many things in D&D seems to be poorly worded. But a DM who rules something by RAW is in no way impossible or super rare.

I do get your point though. If you included all things people might want to consider, the guide would be so long no one would read it. All I wanted was to put in my two cents.

Kindly
Yirrare

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 04:16:44 PM »

... or PAO a big shield into a buckler.

If a DM is gonna say no to this,
then an Archivist should drop
a 7th level spell on the situation.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 11:57:54 PM »
Why no mention in the guide of the feat Academic Priest to use INT instead of WIS for bonus Archivist spell slots?