Author Topic: Homebrew Setting: Magipunk (brainstorming -- input needed)  (Read 82448 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrew Setting: Magipunk (brainstorming -- input needed)
« Reply #280 on: October 26, 2012, 04:32:54 PM »
Not quite...  I'd say that they are almost all tier 3 or higher, with maybe the Dodger being tier 4 (though it could be tier 3, who knows).
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #281 on: October 28, 2012, 08:21:11 PM »
Not quite...  I'd say that they are almost all tier 3 or higher, with maybe the Dodger being tier 4 (though it could be tier 3, who knows).

I've meant to ask this for a while. What's with the Tier thing? Is character creation a tournament or something?
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 28, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »

I've meant to ask this for a while. What's with the Tier thing? Is character creation a tournament or something?

As mentioned in the tier lists (though in more words), they are mostly meant as a tool for DMs and players to gauge the relative power of the various classes in order to determine what suits their tastes and what might have to be adjusted and such.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #284 on: October 28, 2012, 08:25:55 PM »

As mentioned in the tier lists (though in more words), they are mostly meant as a tool for DMs and players to gauge the relative power of the various classes in order to determine what suits their tastes and what might have to be adjusted and such.

So, rather then play what you want to play or play what you feel is interesting, you play what can kick the ass of the guy sitting across the table from you? ;)
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: October 28, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »

So, rather then play what you want to play or play what you feel is interesting, you play what can kick the ass of the guy sitting across the table from you? ;)

The tier list can cater to that, but as is mentioned in the thread itself the primary intent is to allow everyone to play well together since knowing how powerful your teammates are in whatever situations tends to help quite a bit.

If the wink is you being playful and not totally serious, I admit I'm a bit (okay, notoriously) blind when it comes to that, so I typically answer as if the statement was serious.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 28, 2012, 08:41:01 PM »
Not quite. Tiers are best used for a DM to assess appropriate challenges for their players or as a character building guideline to stop one player dominating the group.

A group of tier 1 characters is a lot different to DM for than a group of tier 6.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #287 on: October 28, 2012, 08:44:49 PM »

The tier list can cater to that, but as is mentioned in the thread itself the primary intent is to allow everyone to play well together since knowing how powerful your teammates are in whatever situations tends to help quite a bit.

If the wink is you being playful and not totally serious, I admit I'm a bit (okay, notoriously) blind when it comes to that, so I typically answer as if the statement was serious.

Well to be fair, I was being somewhat serious. I usually put a wink or a smile in there so that the people who would blow up and take serious offense at my statement ignore the statement and move on. So it's something of a filter. :)

See that? Filter.

Thank you for the clarification. I'm reading the link provided above, and it's not as twinkie min-max Roll-Playing as I was afraid of. The prospect of some classes being better at some situations then others is why there are multiple base classes, in my opinion. If the game was intended to just have one class that did everything, the player's handbook would be a pamphlet while the Dungeon Master's Guide would look more like the library of congress.

I guess my one main problem with homebrew tracking and concepts is that it seems that whenever someone runs into one of those hitches that's built into a class to keep them from being truly irredeemable in terms of absolute power, rather then saying "How can I work with this?" they say "Well shit, now I can't combo Chain Lighting into Creeping Doom piggybacked onto a Maximize Empowered Relicguard Spell. Time to fix that!" and build a homebrew which is 99% the original class, while that 1% is the whole Let's Omit that one Drawback.

Sometimes I read people's homebrews and think to myself "He just wants to play a 20th level wizard without having to bother with levels 2 through 19". Maybe I'm just old, though. So git off my lawn, and thanks for listening.
Link to my homebrews

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 28, 2012, 08:52:10 PM »
Well to be fair, I was being somewhat serious. I usually put a wink or a smile in there so that the people who would blow up and take serious offense at my statement ignore the statement and move on. So it's something of a filter. :)

See that? Filter.

Thank you for the clarification. I'm reading the link provided above, and it's not as twinkie min-max Roll-Playing as I was afraid of. The prospect of some classes being better at some situations then others is why there are multiple base classes, in my opinion. If the game was intended to just have one class that did everything, the player's handbook would be a pamphlet while the Dungeon Master's Guide would look more like the library of congress.

I guess my one main problem with homebrew tracking and concepts is that it seems that whenever someone runs into one of those hitches that's built into a class to keep them from being truly irredeemable in terms of absolute power, rather then saying "How can I work with this?" they say "Well shit, now I can't combo Chain Lighting into Creeping Doom piggybacked onto a Maximize Empowered Relicguard Spell. Time to fix that!" and build a homebrew which is 99% the original class, while that 1% is the whole Let's Omit that one Drawback.

Sometimes I read people's homebrews and think to myself "He just wants to play a 20th level wizard without having to bother with levels 2 through 19". Maybe I'm just old, though. So git off my lawn, and thanks for listening.

I don't typically blow up unless directly insulted, and even then I'd like to think I tend to blow it off.  That's just me though.  *shrug*

But yes, some of the homebrew really is just people wanting power trips.  Thankfully we don't typically have that problem on these boards.

As for the lawn comment, I'm reminded of a joke I read in Reader's Digest:
A girl is scheduled for an appendectomy.  As the doctor starts the surgery he noticed her pubic hair is dyed green with the words "Keep off the grass" tattooed by them.  Chuckling to himself he shaved it off as standard operating procedure and did the surgery.  At the end of it he left her a note though: "Sorry, had to mow the lawn."
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 09:28:07 PM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 27, 2012, 12:40:21 AM »
Powerbard Items post needs to be added to the Items index.

EDIT: Races links need to be updated in the index as well.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 11:39:31 AM by FireInTheSky »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 02, 2013, 02:12:23 AM »
So, you ever going to write those Chloromorph feats that they apparently get?

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 02, 2013, 07:07:26 AM »
So, you ever going to write those Chloromorph feats that they apparently get?
Well, sure.  Lol.  Eventually...

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 29, 2013, 01:42:47 AM »
The more I think about it, the less comfortable I feel about Cellochoroids giving Int to saves vs. mind-affecting. Maybe a flat +2 or something? It would probably be reasonable to tone down or remove the crit immunity they get for being plants, too. How would that make them feel?

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 29, 2013, 06:18:24 AM »
The more I think about it, the less comfortable I feel about Cellochoroids giving Int to saves vs. mind-affecting. Maybe a flat +2 or something? It would probably be reasonable to tone down or remove the crit immunity they get for being plants, too. How would that make them feel?
Definitely more in line with the other races... go ahead and implement those changes.

Offline Milo v3

• I will never be able to decide what to put here
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 03, 2014, 11:22:57 AM »
Malignth (WIP since tired is wearing my brain out)

There are some things that are not satisfied with the bodies they have been given, and seek to improve them, but sometimes things don't go as planned. Malignth (malignant-synths) are beings that have suffered from their bodies turning against them in a very dramatic manner.

Creating a Malignth

Malignth is an acquired or inherited template that can be added to any living creature. A malignth uses the base creature's stats and abilities except as noted here.
LA: +2

CR: +1

AL: The base creatures alignment moves one step closer to chaotic. Malignth have inherently unstable biology, and their morales and ethics happen to be sealed within that biology.

Size and Type: The base creature's type becomes aberration (shapeshifter). If this template is acquired do not recalculate class Hit Dice, BAB, or saves.

Senses: The base creature gains darkvision 60 ft.

Armour Class: The base creature gains a +2 bonus to their natural armour class bonus.

Weaknesses: The base creature gains two of the following drawbacks (randomly determined or chosen by the GM). A drawback can't be gained multiple times:
Bug Eyes: Your vision is more accurate than your mind can actually comprehend, you take a -2 racial penalty to perception checks.
Over-active Metabolism: Your body uses up more energy than it should, you take a -4 racial penalty on saves against becoming fatigued or exhausted.
Vibrant Chameleon: Your body alters it's colours between vibrant tones, and take a -2 racial penalty to Stealth checks.
Stunted Arms: Your strength score for the purpose of carry capacity is four points lower.
Numb Nerves: Your dexterity score is lowered by one point.
Wrong Proportions: When swimming, water counts as one stage more hazardous for the purpose of determining the DC of your athletics checks.

Special Attacks: Malignths gain three Stage I evolves from the Sythevolver class, these evolves must lack prerequisites. Which evolves an individual receives is normally random, though the Gamesmaster can select them if they wish. The evolves gained can be repeated if the evolves state they can be taken multiple times.

Special Qualities: Malignths gain the corrupted code special quality.

Corrupted Code (Ex): Malignths gain a +4 racial bonus on fortitude saves against mutagenic strike and similar effects that target his DNA, and if he does fail the save the effects duration is halved.

Feats: Malignths gain Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat, if they don't already possess it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 11:24:54 AM by Milo v3 »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 16, 2014, 02:23:38 AM »
Sirp, I see you updated the Magipunk Locations relatively recently. It's nice to see more info. The mention of megacorporations is giving me a bit of a Shadowrun vibe, which is nice, I think. My only experience with Shadowrun is from playing Shadowrun Returns and from reading the wiki when I was researching sci-fi stuff for PoC, but it certainly seemed interesting.

Anyways, speaking of megacorps, you mention there being 3 of them in the Port Nexus LUNA (PNL) description. Any info on the two not described there? Or on any of the not-so-mega-corporations?

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 16, 2014, 06:45:44 AM »
Sirp, I see you updated the Magipunk Locations relatively recently. It's nice to see more info. The mention of megacorporations is giving me a bit of a Shadowrun vibe, which is nice, I think. My only experience with Shadowrun is from playing Shadowrun Returns and from reading the wiki when I was researching sci-fi stuff for PoC, but it certainly seemed interesting.

Anyways, speaking of megacorps, you mention there being 3 of them in the Port Nexus LUNA (PNL) description. Any info on the two not described there? Or on any of the not-so-mega-corporations?
I have some Aerie writeup that hasn't been posted yet, as well... anyway, I'm glad you like this.

The other two ubercorp mentions are scattered among the other posts:
  • G.E.T. (Global Expansion Team), which establishes, maintains, and expands the domes
  • L.U.C.R.E. (Logical Unit Community Research Enterprise), which builds & maintains the hardware for DivNet & the rest of the Metaverse.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 18, 2014, 01:11:49 AM »
I just noticed that Grade 2 Ballistic HEX crystals deal as much damage as Grade 3 Ballistic Basic crystals (and double to objects), but cost 40% less.

Grade 3 Force crystals should have a rider effect. You're paying the grade 3 premium after all. Without it, they also suffer the G2HEX/G3Basic issue that ballistics have. I'd suggest something like Fort or be pushed back 5 feet directly away.

I probably brought this up years ago, but are you at all concerned about the expense of using guns? Even with basic G1 ballistic crystals, it's 2.25 gp per attack (and it's a very dinky attack for that price). Then again, a lot of other pricing things are making me think that wealth in Magipunk isn't supposed to be quite the same as your average D&D setting. Specifically, I don't see the same old commoner daily wage being around 1 gp/day.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 18, 2014, 08:38:41 AM »
I just noticed that Grade 2 Ballistic HEX crystals deal as much damage as Grade 3 Ballistic Basic crystals (and double to objects), but cost 40% less.

Grade 3 Force crystals should have a rider effect. You're paying the grade 3 premium after all. Without it, they also suffer the G2HEX/G3Basic issue that ballistics have. I'd suggest something like Fort or be pushed back 5 feet directly away.
Derp... I'll take a look at these soon.

I probably brought this up years ago, but are you at all concerned about the expense of using guns? Even with basic G1 ballistic crystals, it's 2.25 gp per attack (and it's a very dinky attack for that price). Then again, a lot of other pricing things are making me think that wealth in Magipunk isn't supposed to be quite the same as your average D&D setting. Specifically, I don't see the same old commoner daily wage being around 1 gp/day.
Guns are expensive, but they're also supposed to be more effective than bows & arrows. I dunno... I priced them initially using item creation rules, and then made them less expensive than that... I guess I didn't go far enough. Any suggestions?

Also, remember that most commoners are non-citizens, and have absolutely zero chance of purchasing expensive items. However, things like food are significantly cheaper due to tippyverse-ness.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 18, 2014, 01:09:36 PM »
Regarding guns vs. bows, you don't get parity unless you're using energy crystals (for the touch attack) or the fancier crystals with special effects. Basic ballistic crystals just do not cut it. Targeted crystals, oddly, are about as good for ballistic as energy at grades 1 and 2 (touch attack doesn't matter since you're going for a fixed AC 10, so the only difference is DR vs. energy resistance).

Simple guns w/ grade 1 crystals:
(click to show/hide)

Martial guns w/ grade 2 crystals:
(click to show/hide)

Exotic guns I'm not really sure how to evaluate. Touch attacks with energy crystals or AC 10 attacks with targeted crystals means that you can probably ignore the -4 nonproficiency penalty and not spend a feat if you're using the right ammo. The rider effects on energy crystals are nice, but lose value at higher levels when the fixed DC 15 save becomes easier and easier. A G3 HEX crystal has a pretty serious base damage (avg. 18), but costs a bloody fortune (67.5 gp/shot or 157.5 gp/shot for energy). Crits suddenly show up, and are really good (Assault rifle is +20%, although Launcher is only +15% oddly enough). Grade 3 crystals are all 3x as expensive as Grade 2 crystals, and 6x as expensive as Grade 1.

I also haven't touched force crystals. They're only useful against incorporeal foes or folks with resistance to all energies (even sonic). Otherwise you're paying a premium for reduced damage.