Author Topic: Druid Tank  (Read 15921 times)

Offline zugschef

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Druid Tank
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 12:01:54 PM »
no i'm not confusing anything. just because you CAN use all sorts of material, doesn't mean you have to. pick a combat shape (some cat or some bear) and two traveling shapes (horse, giant eagle). get a wolf, then a brown bear as companion. pack your spell slots full with utility spells such as resist energy, and use summon animal for more wolves and brown bears in combat. fuck the rest. you won't compete with god wizards, but you'll be a valuable party member in any party.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 12:56:32 PM »
no i'm not confusing anything. just because you CAN use all sorts of material, doesn't mean you have to. pick a combat shape (some cat or some bear) and two traveling shapes (horse, giant eagle). get a wolf, then a brown bear as companion. pack your spell slots full with utility spells such as resist energy, and use summon animal for more wolves and brown bears in combat. fuck the rest. you won't compete with god wizards, but you'll be a valuable party member in any party.

Compare to say fighter: Pick feats. Done.

Offline zugschef

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2012, 08:22:01 AM »
Compare to say fighter: Pick feats. Done.
yeah. you're done as in being done.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2012, 09:32:02 AM »
Point is druid is a lot more complex to build even if you are not using extra material. This directly contradicts your quoted statement. I am not saying playing a fighter is anywhere near as good as a druid but you seem to be confusing difficulty building the class and difficulty playing it.

Offline zugschef

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2012, 01:40:31 PM »
Point is druid is a lot more complex to build even if you are not using extra material. This directly contradicts your quoted statement. I am not saying playing a fighter is anywhere near as good as a druid but you seem to be confusing difficulty building the class and difficulty playing it.
no i'm seeing a whole picture. fighter is a class which offers NOTHING mechanically, which will therefore make newbies feel utterly worthless in the party, since they are (mostly) not yet experienced enough as roleplayers to offset this deficit.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2012, 04:25:37 PM »
no i'm seeing a whole picture. fighter is a class which offers NOTHING mechanically, which will therefore make newbies feel utterly worthless in the party, since they are (mostly) not yet experienced enough as roleplayers to offset this deficit.

This does not make it more complicated. Druid is a better class by a long way but it is still more complex to build than most everything besides an artificer.