Author Topic: Warlock - Expert advice needed.  (Read 31725 times)

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
Re: Warlock - Expert advice needed.
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2012, 04:17:12 AM »
Eh, I still say you use Strongheart Vest, but Binder does open up a can of fun.
"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down."

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Warrior Skald, teller of tales.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2012, 09:47:55 AM »
cvar thank you. Flyby Attack would be great since I will have 60ft fly movement.
IIRC, warlock fly is limited to your land speed, with a max of 60 ft.

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2012, 01:04:35 PM »
He gets fly from being some time of sparrow.

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Warrior Skald, teller of tales.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2012, 01:43:22 PM »
He gets fly from being some time of sparrow.
:facepalm

I will now go sit in the corner.

Offline cvar

• oh god numbers
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2012, 05:36:49 PM »
Hellfire Warlock

You are a gentleman and a scholar sir.

Eh, I still say you use Strongheart Vest, but Binder does open up a can of fun.

I think that would be the best way as he doesn't lose warlock progression for it, but it doesn't really matter how much we say BUT IT'S LEGAL when so many people call shenanigans.  Best thing to do is have him talk to his DM about it.

cvar thank you. Flyby Attack would be great since I will have 60ft fly movement.
IIRC, warlock fly is limited to your land speed, with a max of 60 ft.
He's going to use the hengeyokai race and has a racial fly speed.  Fell Flight doesn't have a max, it just copies your land speed for flight.

@Silver
Minimum entry for Hellfire Warlock is 9th, but you can pick up the invocation needed at 4th.  I've never heard of Summon Familiar, so just slap it in wherever, since you can drop Obtain/Improved Familiar. 
Something like:

Binder 1/Warlock 7/Mindbender 1/Hellfire Warlock 3

Will get you all the goodies with the least amount of hassle, you can get all the skill requirements for Mindbender out of the way at Binder 1 with a 14 Int.  A 12 Int will barely make it, but it can be done.  If you're able to get the Strongheart Vest via the feat and drop binder you need a 14 int to make it as you can't max your skills in time with the cross class Diplomacy. 

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2012, 08:25:16 PM »
Not to rehash the whole Strongheart Vest debate, which I happen to think is silly as it seems obvious to me it would work, but there's also the Psychic Bastion feat in the SRD/Expanded Psionics Handbook.

Offline Silveron

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2012, 10:13:44 PM »
I am not crazy I am going to ask to see if I can use Strongheart Vest but I am not going to count on it since I know he has a copy of 3.5 FAQ on his laptop. So if he reads it in black and white that it flat out says it only works for attacks, how can I argue?

I am not understanding Mindbender? Just takeing one level in it for the unlimited Telepathy? or is there something else I am missing?

Offline cvar

• oh god numbers
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2012, 11:03:46 PM »
I am not crazy I am going to ask to see if I can use Strongheart Vest but I am not going to count on it since I know he has a copy of 3.5 FAQ on his laptop. So if he reads it in black and white that it flat out says it only works for attacks, how can I argue?

I am not understanding Mindbender? Just takeing one level in it for the unlimited Telepathy? or is there something else I am missing?

Mindbender gets you telepathy, grabbing the feat Mindsight gets you Telepathyvision.  But yea, taking that first level gets you telepathy at will out to 100'.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2012, 11:09:22 PM »
I suggest you use words.

Offline NiteCyper

• Uploaded the stock avatar with better quality. =þ
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2012, 02:11:03 AM »
Not to rehash the whole Strongheart Vest debate, which I happen to think is silly as it seems obvious to me it would work, but there's also the Psychic Bastion feat in the SRD/Expanded Psionics Handbook.
There is no spoon feat named "Psychic Bastion" in the SRD. Psychic Bastion isn't in the Expanded Psionics Handbook. Apparently, the feat of which Unbeliever speaks resides in the Hyperconscious supplement.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 04:33:19 AM by NiteCyper »
What? NiteCyper's post is evolving!

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2012, 02:37:07 AM »
Apparently, it's put out by Dreamscarred Press, which I assume is 3rd party

You can find the feat here: Psychic Bastion

Though even if 3rd party stuff is allowed, it requires you to maintain your psionic focus, which means either another class level or another feat.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 02:41:05 AM by kitep »

Offline Pencil

• - your advertisement could stand here -
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2012, 03:02:36 AM »

Just tell him that:

1.FAQ is no reliable source and arbitrary/incoherent in their answers.Provide examples for that, just to on the safe side.

2.One could argue that abilities are always split into fluff and crunsh.The first part about "defends you vs attacks and such" describes the effect but does not state the effect so it would probably be fluff.The second part on the other hand only states what it does so it would probably crunsh.(I am not a big fan of this way but some people do it so might as well mention it...)

3.The consequence of having the vest only protect vs. attacks are absurd.Having it only protect vs. attacks implies that the vest would be omniscient in a way because it has to "KNOW" what is an attack and what is not.And this is not how generally things work in 3.5 where world coherent realism was still an important factor.
This might be hard to get, but take this as an example:Would Pinocchio`s nose grow when he states: "God exists." for example?Probably not because his nose is not omniscient and does not "know" whether the statement is true or not.(Kind of a weird example but I hope it clarifies things)

4.The DM obviously does not (or should not  ;)) use stupid things in d&d (for example if you build a row out of n people and everybody readies their action to pass a stone handed to them,the stone would pass n people withing 5 seconds(brainlag,forgot how long was a round in d&d))
And even though this(the vestment case) stands in the FAQ this would be also one of those stupid things so he should probably allow it anyways.

Just some points in which direction you can go.If you want to I could bring some more up but those where my initial thoughts.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 04:28:10 AM by Pencil »
Movie Quote of the Week (Brazil):
Sam Lowry: Is that one of your triplets?
Jack Lint: Yeah, probably.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2012, 03:04:06 AM »
Ask if Strongheart Vest protect you from ability damage vs diseases that you might catch.

Offline Silveron

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2012, 07:44:58 AM »
I hate to disappoint you guys but after rereading binder again last night and thinking it over, I am doing Binder. Because with Naberius bind I get:

Disguise Self: After thinking this over this could be handy in so many ways. When I get Multiform(Swords and Sorcery - Anger of Angels page 95 ) armor in order to keep my AC +’s as well as any other effects I add to my armor no matter what form I take, I will look like a sparrow in chain mail (just for example) that is perfectly crafted for a sparrow. This makes me stand out just a bit from the average birds. So being able to use Disguise Self to make my armor look like feathers or to be able to change myself to look like other birds as well, will just be too good to pass up. Hell I could alter to look like a chicken and lure hungry orcs into a trap lol. As a sparrow I could cast it to grow big and fat, change feathers to white and poof close enough to a chicken for an orc to buy it lol.

Faster Ability Healing: An indisputable way to take care of con damage.

Naberius’s Skills: Free use of a few untrained skills.

Persuasive Words: Limit of every 5 rounds, direct a verbal command at a single living creature within 30ft as if using a command spell…. Need I say more?

Silver Tongue: Take 10 to Diplomacy and Bluff without penalty even if distracted, threatened, or rushed.

All this makes it very worthwhile.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2012, 07:52:19 AM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline NiteCyper

• Uploaded the stock avatar with better quality. =þ
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2012, 03:54:05 PM »
Sent you a PM.

Hell I could alter to look like a chicken and lure hungry orcs into a trap lol. As a sparrow I could cast it to grow big and fat, change feathers to white and poof close enough to a chicken for an orc to buy it lol.

And this is how DM Dave got his scar. To this day, we still joke about transforming into a chicken to Intimidate enemies. We made up a feat called "Resist Chickenfear" and the phobia became a Flaw.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 03:56:25 PM by NiteCyper »
What? NiteCyper's post is evolving!

Offline Silveron

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2012, 06:35:14 AM »
 :clap
Thank you guys for your help. What started as 1 character has now turned into 4 different ones thx to the good suggestions got.

Two of them centered around NiteCypers hide feats. One of them was thinking Warlock/Rogue... EB + magic item to boost EB + sneak attack + magic item to boost sneak attack and magic item to let me reroll all 1s on Sneak attack.... lol I should do ok damage, I might not even need to take hellfire warlock.
Another was thinking of maybe being a Hengeyokai cat poseing as another characters familiar lol.

As for my 1st character I am makeing useing your advice....
(click to show/hide)