Author Topic: Chapter 1: Attrition  (Read 30968 times)

Offline Geigan

• View Profile
Re: Chapter 1: Attrition
« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2013, 01:53:23 AM »
"Hmm, I'm not sure we'd make very appetizing bait being as of yet unknown to them and not being any easy prey in comparison to undefended towns. Our goal isn't just contact, but to find more information on their origin and to destroy them if possible. We will have to make contact to achieve that however and now it would seem capturing is out of the question.

Speaking of which an important point of distinction; you spoke of three attacks all of which this army was present at. It seemed they found you before you found them. Have there been other towns ransacked when you weren't there to defend or has that been it? If the latter I can only assume they are targeting this army specifically unless there are no other populated towns to target. I assume you might have made evacuations of the various population centers near the desert in order to isolate the number of targets you would have to defend? If you have not already done so it would be my recommendation in order to isolate the possible targets and therefore make what targets are kept populated more defensible.

Aside from that our only assurances is that they are targeting large populations of sentients, so if we can be assured of our presence at one of this army's engagements I think we will have our best chance to either follow them or find information from them through their language."

In relation to that pattern, what can you tell us about their targets aside from this army's engagements? How many failures to defend versus how many fights? I can only assume that any remaining towns have scouts or other means of contact in them for the sake of getting word to you when one is attacked so you can respond.

Regardless, I think our best chance now lies in accompanying this army until their next engagement and assist in scouting more thoroughly by any means possible. If we can make contact with the creatures our group will be much more capable of following or tracking the larger force."

(click to show/hide)

"Oh and one more thing. Have the creatures seemed to possess any form of ranged weaponry or attack?"
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 01:56:35 AM by Geigan »
Developer for Rule of Cool Games. Try our game system, Legend. We hope you enjoy.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2013, 02:25:25 AM »
Chef shrugs.  "I can handle waiting or scouting.  Let's just get on with this!"  He seems unusually impatient.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 19, 2013, 09:55:12 AM »
"Should waiting be our course of action, I have a company to train."
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Greybender

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 19, 2013, 01:17:26 PM »
Yuuko seems bored by the conversation, intricate planning, thinking ahead and loads and loads of questions have defeated her interest of army operations. " Yeah let's go scouting, that sounds immensely fun!" She changes herself to look as one of the soldiers from earlier. "Who wants to go scouting with me?" Yuuko asks while looking towards her sister.

Offline Geigan

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 10, 2013, 07:17:09 AM »
Mauthe considered the information they'd been given, the half-formed plans swirling in his mind, and sifted through them as he plotted a course of action. This was unlike him. Mauthe wandered over to the map, looking down at a countryside which by all rights should have meant nothing to him. Why was he so absorbed in this problem? This wasn't his fight. Even if he failed, the Empire's fall could be his gain... but it riled something in him. The Ⓧutsider within him grew eager, but something else encouraged it. Could it be that he himself was thrilled by the prospect of war?

The former blink dog surveyed the army's disposition, careless of the wizard and engineer at his side. Thoughts and schemes nibbled at the edges of his consciousness: troop movements, weather patterns, scouting mobilization. They danced just uncomfortably out of reach – he had no formal training in warcraft, and had no reason to know any of it. Mauthe felt woozy. It was like trying to grasp at smoke, or remembering a fading dream, though he no longer needed sleep. This knowledge was not his own, and the more he attempted to grasp it, the more he felt as if he was stepping outside his body.

As Mauthe stared at the map, he lost himself in the swirls of parchment and ink. In his mind's eye, it seemed perfectly normal that his paws had been replaced with someone else's limbs: thick greying skin stretched over humanoid hands. The map became a vision, a hellish landscape steeped in ash and blood, ripe for the conquering. The stench of demonic ichor carried to him on a rancid breeze, bringing satisfaction – he knew it would soak the ground in short order. He would hunt his quarry even to the deepest abyss, and further. There would be no escape.

Then Mauthe found himself elsewhere, the same but different. It was strange, feeling the thirst for battle in the Blood War (and from just a trifling front!), fade from his devil's body. His gaze fell upon another map much like the Empire's, but far older. This one recalled the musty shadows of abandoned buildings, the dagger in the back of a once-trusted contact; spies, assassins, and plots that raced across the subconscious edges of his mind. He found this setting far more inviting: the cloak of darkness, the whispered lies, the caress of unknown death. He was caught in a web of intrigue, but was he a spider or a fly? He cast his net over the empire in hopes that he would have many flies to feast on. His master commanded it...

And then abruptly, he was back, shivering an instant before shaking himself steady. He could remember the thrill of the hunt now. It was not a simple thing of cat and dog, but a more complex form. He looked around the room from person to person and recognized the bearings of those he once knew. Wholly different now, just as he was, but not so different that he didn't remember what they could do. They had been assigned prey and they were a pack. There was hunting to do.

Mauthe raised his head and began to address the entire tent in tones of command, so as to inform the team and the non-monstrous allies alike of plans to mobilize.

The Shaper Genie and the Scholar of the Moon...

"Natsumi and Chef, if you could please come over here and coordinate with our allies to ready a search pattern for the desert using what resources we have? Assume that we will have a small clump of fast moving flyers and/or ground units supported by a larger number of mundane scouting teams. Your knowledge should come in handy in accounting for dangerous hazards as well as how best to search such a large area. Make sure to get a good accounting of where this army's scouts have already searched thoroughly. I'm sure you will have the most success at this endeavor with your knowledge base."

The Necromancer...

"Mentak, I’m sure you have some memory of previous campaigns in this region that our fair general Dryon would love to hear. Regale him with tales of your conquest if you please.”

The Six Armed Warrior and the Conquerer ...

“Yan, you seem to know what you’re about, but if while you’re out training the troops you could find those that look best fit to lead squads that would be helpful. Especially those among the scouting corp who have experience with survival in the desert. Mentak may prove useful for whipping them into shape as well.
Klik-klak, I think you will prove most useful in scouting, but if you could accompany Yan for now I think you will prove a good sparring opponent for the army’s squads.” Mauthe chuckles wryly, “You would be the most difficult to pin down I think.”

The Knight of Bones...

“Klaus, you are a divine spellcaster of some skill, so if you could assist our clerical division in the proper dispensation of their magic? Proper use in this case would most likely require application of magical aid to our own forces rather than as a detriment to the enemy. Simple enough, but you’re most likely best equipped to help them work out the details. Chef or Natsumi may be knowledgeable in this area as well if you require aid.
After that you may wish to speak to Mentak on the subject of making use of your Undead servants. Your dragons will come in handy for scouting, but the slower ones may be of use as camp sentries due to their single mindedness.”

The Marksman and the Temptress...

“Elgin and Yuuko, if you could please accompany me I think it would be beneficial to examine the newer recruits more closely. I believe Dryon is correct in assuming they are more likely liabilities, but we need decent scouts and that is not a job that needs quite as rigorous training assuming there are competents among the scouting corp. This shouldn’t take long, but if we can find proper recruits we can expand the coverage of the scouting corps, and then get to our own scouting as well with assurances of aid in the task. Also we get to go meet new people Yuuko. Would you like that?”

“Dryon, I think there is quite a lot yet to be done, but we shall endeavor to ready you for the war ahead. Be thinking not only of defense, but how you might mobilize an offense with this army if necessary. You have some of the finest minds in the empire in the room with you. That alone should be able to make mobilizing this army in the desert a simple task, so please make use of them. I will be back shortly to assist with further planning, but I think you shall be busy enough for the time being. Dismissed.”

Without further ado Mauthe turns to Yuuko and Elgin to discuss briefly what they will be looking for and how to get there, and then leaving the tent with them to get to their immediate business.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 07:27:55 AM by Geigan »
Developer for Rule of Cool Games. Try our game system, Legend. We hope you enjoy.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 10, 2013, 08:14:30 AM »
The goddess raised her head from the incomprehensible tome she'd been reading, looked thoughtful for a second, and then set it aside. From somewhere on her person, the purple-garbed goddess produced parchment, a quill... but no ink. It didn't really matter, for her; the writing went onto the paper so others could read it: she was just as capable of writing a message on air.

Despite Mauthe's suggestion, she didn't even go near the army leaders, simply writing away to one side and occasionally glancing out through the tent flap at the sky as if she was seeking answers from it. Then, with her writing apparently complete, she split the bundle in two and held the smaller out to whomsoever could want it: "Recommended scouting patterns, sketches of the tracks left by area-appropriate fauna, regions where sand may be broken by ancient structures, and wind predictions for the next week, with advice on how to avoid the monsters if they rely on scent."

The chunkier bundle, one with her notes and the recalled references used, was handed to Chef, with a note attached to the front in elegant cursive asking that he check the notes, make any amendments to Natsumi's plans--she, after all, was still young and inexperienced despite her knowledge--and return the changes to the generals, especially if they believed that her recommendations would focus too much on already-known areas.

"I believe my time would best by spent accompanying my sister; long planning is not my strength." She got distracted by new and more interesting topics too easily, after all.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 08:16:29 AM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 10, 2013, 11:12:58 AM »
Yan nodded in response. Mauthe's sudden feeling of purpose and leadership wasn't unwelcome, given the pace everything seemed to be working at.

"This shouldn't be a problem. Admittedly, my training is more focused on martial ability, but their ranks should prove easy enough to sift through.

Just point those recruits out to me.

Klick-Klack, it would be my privilege to have you aid in their training."
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Clanjos

• Super Smiting Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 10, 2013, 11:41:39 AM »
"Let me see some maps. I may recognize something in the desert."

The jar rotated slightly to face the general.

"It's a pity. When the Kingdom of The Black Sand stretched across this desert, there was little to worry about- roads were built to avoid the lava plumes, while they also served as a fantastic defense against invaders. Yes, the armies would march on the city, but they would be stricken down by the pharaoh's mighty legionnaires! THE SANDS WOULD GROW RED WITH THE BLOOD OF THOSE WHO WOULD DARE HARM THE INNOCENTS OF THE KINGDOM!"
Quote from:  a weekly game
"Sometimes, even an adventurer needs a backrub."

Offline Valixes

• Lurker
  • Knight of Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 10, 2013, 04:07:33 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Previously having held an adamant silence and stillness, Klaus lifted a hand palm up towards Selluria. Such gentleman-like demeanor was unbecoming of a pit fiend, yet such a simple gesture was executed with exemplary poise and grace.

"My friend's advice is not to be taken lightly. Would you take me to speak with your clerics? I've many foul and fair words for them."

Offline Geigan

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 10, 2013, 11:20:51 PM »
Mauthe gave an amused snort just before Klaus' gesture and words, then turned to Natsumi as she joined them and nodded as acquiescence  to her decision. He merely awaited confirmation from Yuuko and Elgin that they were indeed ready to go, and for either Natsumi or Yuuko to teleport the small group to Summercliff. A wagging tail betrayed his impatience past an otherwise calm facade.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 01:29:45 PM by Geigan »

Offline Greybender

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 12, 2013, 01:05:27 PM »

Yuuko jumped with smiling joy, clapped her hands and made a delightful turn around, not noticing that she was in a rather inappropriate form for her behavior. She was excited, new people to talk to, new lands to discover, new customs to learn. She turned to Mauthe with the widest smile: “Yes I would like that very much, in fact let's go as quickly as we can.”

She sees that Mauthe has some more to say and listens carefully, trying to take it all in and quickly develop a plan on how to find the best recruits. She grabbed Mauthe and Elgin and dashed outside, while telling them of the time she was a Lawyer at the stupendous Fair Courts :

“...so naturally there was a clause that a lawyer may eat his client, if the hands were odd, the feet were even and the number of beings was Lucky,...and the best part is, if a client survived being eaten his case was dismissed on grounds of being post-stomachus. The Nixie that was suing my client Yars the Satyr had to become his homely play toy every full moon on an Ostirala. Oh you can't believe the fun they have at the Courts, sadly I'm still waiting for an extension of my license, so that won't be...hey is that Natsumi?”

She runs towards Natsumi and hears that she's going with them. She smothers her with her hug and runs back to Mauthe and Elgin: “Okay now everybody hold hands and tentacles, Yuuko express is leaving for Summercliff!”

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
« Reply #151 on: August 16, 2013, 02:49:23 AM »
Chef takes the documents Natsumi gives him, having recovered from his episode of ghosts.  Chef skims the documents for important information before he hears Yuuko is taking people to Summercliff.

Chef looks around, confused.  "I... thought I was staying here to coordinate a battle plan."  He shrugs.  "If not, I'll be part of this Yuuko express!  The steak is primed:  Let's get to the juicy bits!"

Offline Geigan

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 28, 2013, 03:58:55 AM »
Mauthe looks quizzically at Chef and answers him.

"I believed one of your talents would be best suited to developing our scouting plan, but if you can check Natsumi's notes as quickly as she wrote them and you had nothing else you wished to accomplish here in the meanwhile you might as well come along. Either that or you could assist in training the troops here. Your choice."

The dog's tail twitches back to calmness as he is dragged about by Yuuko's tentacle while preparations are made for teleportation.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 04:01:20 AM by Geigan »