Author Topic: Happy Happy Joy Joy! God knows edition.  (Read 196678 times)

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Happy Joy Joy! God knows edition.
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 10:44:39 AM »
Good luck, Arc!
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 03:26:11 PM »
I managed to calm down two little girls today, one of which had a broken arm.

Who needs a degree in psychiatry?  :P
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
  • My personal text is impersonal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 03:27:48 PM »

Not you, apparently. Maybe you should teach awesomeology.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 03:39:05 PM »

Not you, apparently. Maybe you should teach awesomeology.

Note to self: distill awesome into a science.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 06:36:39 PM »
I have friendzoned myself, HARD, to offer some advice to a girl I've been talking to for a few weeks now, and yet I somehow feel awesome about it.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Tshern

• The Clown Prince of Crime
  • DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2011, 06:25:26 AM »
Finally back at home. Snow everywhere, it's freezing outside and the day time lasts around a minute and a half. I have missed this so much.
Pian unohtuu aika ja tila
Ja nahkapeitto ja syyllisyys
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Monotremeancer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2011, 03:28:06 PM »
It finally started snowing over here a few days back; we're having the warmest winter in 40 years or so. Needless to say; I jumped through the piles that formed here and there like an overjoyed rabbit. Now if only the temperature could drop some more.
I'm what's staring back from the abyss.
How come you guys never wave?

Please send me a PM if you give me kudos. I'm interested in what I'm doing right.

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
  • What is sickness to the body of a knight errant?
    • View Profile
    • The Spellshaping Codices (Homebrew Board)
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2011, 03:09:23 AM »
I have the most amazing blanket.  I never really realize how wonderful the damn thing is until winter starts, but this thing is warm and fluffy beyond all belief.
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 04:03:14 PM »
Someone, whom I presume is my mother, found a pair of sunglasses I had been looking for all over the house for weeks, which I presumed lost to time, or to the sticky fingers of a housekeeper.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2012, 08:45:42 PM »
I've learned something about myself today, and about others, in the process of doing the right thing for someone.

One of my coworkers has a daughter. She has serious respiratory problems, so she's been in need of an atomizer for some time now. My coworker doesn't make all that much (I work only four hours, so technically neither do I, but he's the sole provider for his wife and child whereas all my spending needs are luxury and comfort items; to top it off, he's building a house for his family so his budget is already strained), and he works two jobs. So naturally, when the atomizer they'd been using so far just kinda vanished off the face of the earth on account of it being a loan from someone else, the guy was worried about his little girl. I told him that my sister used to need an atomizer too on account of asthma and that I'd speak to my mother about it, if nothing else to get some advice about the best brands and whatnot.

Mom obviously volunteered to help, including financially, as soon as I told her what was going on. Between how much she knows I trust the guy's sincerity in his love for his little one and having had to go through the worries of watching her children go sick (I used to need an atomizer too, but unlike my sister, I got better), there wasn't a speck of doubt in her mind. It came to me as no surprise; mom's always gone out of her way to help others, and she'd even been scolded on not helping herself often enough a few times. There was one thing in the back of my mind that was bothering me though, and that was the idea of giving him the money instead of the device.

Obviously not because I thought he'd spend it on something else. I just NEVER liked to mix friends/coworkers and money. It always gets in the way in some fashion or another. Add to that how the guy had a much more humble upbringing than me, and suddenly the whole thing takes on a life of its own.

Anyway, his daughter had an asthma crisis today, so he figured he couldn't stall to buy the device anymore. He comments on it and I tell him, "Dude, if you need that thing right now, I'll buy it for you." And I meant it. He asked later if I was serious about it, and I said yes. I didn't have my bank card on me, so after the shift was done, we went to my home. Mom loaned me her credit card so we would have a better means to negotiate once we found a good offer (and so we wouldn't wander around with money in our pockets). Anyway, understandably enough, the guy was very grateful to me, and I told him not to sweat about paying me back - to put his mind at ease, I said I was doing it for his little girl and not for him. You know, tough guy act. He thanked me a lot for it anyway.

But there is a slight nagging part of me that's worried about him actually sweating about it. I keep telling myself, "it's just money, and I did exactly what anyone in my stead should have done". I'd never cared much about spending before, and I know that while not having money is hard, having it and not needing it for anything is hollow. A part of me is scolding itself about overthinking this: about how I can't seem to get the thought of what happened today out of my mind. I offered to help, like I always do, but the fact that there was money involved made my mindset a bit of a mess. I've come to the conclusion that I like to help people in many ways, but using money is not one of them. That's settled my heart a little bit, though I'm obviously still thinking about it, since I'm writing this. It wasn't the first time I've helped anyone and it certainly won't be the last, not if I have anything to say about it, but... I dunno, my heart's kind of a mess right now. I guess I'll settle down once I know my coworker's daughter is well and that the atomizer is being put to good use.

But it makes me happy to know I helped someone. I've always known how true selflessness is a rare and difficult thing to achieve, but I'd never felt just how hard that was until now. Funny - I never thought twice about what giving people some of my time to help them meant I was giving something, but the moment it touched my wallet, I get all introspective about it.

Anyway, at this point I'm both ranting AND coming dangerously close to bragging about a good deed, if I haven't done so already, so I should cut myself short.  :P
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 08:47:58 PM by Kuroimaken »

Give me internets. Now.

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2012, 09:23:20 AM »
You're a good man.

And an unstoppable universal constant.

Ye gods.
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2012, 12:53:48 PM »
You're a good man.

And an unstoppable universal constant.

Ye gods.
Naw, I'm just a guy who lent another guy money so his little girl could breathe easier.

A genuinely good man wouldn't overthink after the fact. At least that's how I see it.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2012, 06:23:22 PM »
I disagree.  Not only were you a good man in giving him the money, you're also worrying about his feelings as a result of said act.

Saying that "a good man wouldn't think about it" will lead you down the path of always thinking about whether you're thinking about it and therefore always concluding that you're not a good man.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2012, 06:29:24 PM »
I disagree.  Not only were you a good man in giving him the money, you're also worrying about his feelings as a result of said act.

Saying that "a good man wouldn't think about it" will lead you down the path of always thinking about whether you're thinking about it and therefore always concluding that you're not a good man.
I suppose. Then again, I'm already mad, so I don't need to worry about that...

Give me internets. Now.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2012, 03:16:33 PM »
I'm close to finishing Dawkin's "The God Delusion" and i'm feeling great. I've been an Atheist for most of my life, having abandoned any concept of a God at age 11, and for a long time, i've felt really alone in my opinions and views. I've met many non-religious people, agnostics, and some "atheists", but never someone with the same convictions as i have about God and everything. This book changed this. Well, this book and Douglas Adams, but i digress. What i mean is, i'm happy.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2012, 03:23:13 PM »
I'm close to finishing Dawkin's "The God Delusion" and i'm feeling great. I've been an Atheist for most of my life, having abandoned any concept of a God at age 11, and for a long time, i've felt really alone in my opinions and views. I've met many non-religious people, agnostics, and some "atheists", but never someone with the same convictions as i have about God and everything. This book changed this. Well, this book and Douglas Adams, but i digress. What i mean is, i'm happy.

Defining how you feel about something is never easy, and sharing your views with others even less so, because people seem to have an annoying tendency to think that their view is "the right one" and will often try to convince you to change your mind. So finding a like-minded viewpoint in someone else - let alone Charles Darwin - can be a very satisfying experience in and of itself. I'm happy for you.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2012, 03:47:40 PM »
Never read any of Dawkin's stuff, but I have read Why People Believe Weird Things by Michael Shermer and enjoyed it.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2012, 04:15:24 PM »
I've met many non-religious people, agnostics, and some "atheists", but never someone with the same convictions as i have about God and everything.

i know how you feel...

Offline Monotremeancer

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2012, 04:36:56 PM »
I've met many non-religious people, agnostics, and some "atheists", but never someone with the same convictions as i have about God and everything.

i know how you feel...
You should come to Sweden. People who've long since abandoned religion are quite a common sight over here.
I'm what's staring back from the abyss.
How come you guys never wave?

Please send me a PM if you give me kudos. I'm interested in what I'm doing right.

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2012, 04:40:40 PM »
i would love to move to sweden but i need someone to pay me lots for doing little.

i think thats a strictly american thing... so i cant move... :shakefist
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.