Author Topic: Concept  (Read 3595 times)

Offline bobthe6th

• Honorary Mod
  • Not sure what to put here...
    • View Profile
Concept
« on: September 26, 2012, 11:09:29 PM »
[note]ok, an explanation.  I am not a HB machine, heck, I am not going to be doing a lot of work for a month or two yet, so this is an open project.  Look at the original telekenetisit?  That is the idea.  If you want to post a class?  bug me and I will give you a thread, and you can get others to edit it.  I will try to make edit suggestions when I have time.  then I will make a big composite thread to place the current versions of each class with a list of contributors. that sound good?[/note]

So, ever notice that psionics is just re-fluffed casting?  Yeah, it is very sad.  Not to say the magic system masquerading as psionics is a bad system, but it isn't what I would want when I make a character with mutant powers.  You shouldn't need to wait till level 5 to use telekinesis, and you shouldn't be limited to 6-7 uses per day. 

Now, what do I want to put in its place?  Classes focused on at-will or per encounter abilities.  Classes focused on one special ability, and doing many things with that ability.  Classes that are balanced and fun. 

Archetypes to make into classes:
Telekinesis
Mind bending
Blaster
astral projection
prescient

please suggest more!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 05:52:06 PM by bobthe6th »
avatar by Szilard, thank you sir for the fine work!

my home brew.  you should PEACH them...
Telekineticist
Razor

Offline SneeR

• Legendary Member
  • Sneering
    • View Profile
Re: Concept
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 01:58:17 PM »
I suppose pyrokinesis is "blasting," right?

What about premonitions and astral projection? Those are predominantly psychic-associated.

Have you ever played Psi Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy? That is a fantastic game. This takes mind reading to its extreme conclusion.
A smile from ear to ear
3.5 is disappointingly flawed.

Offline bobthe6th

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 05:11:35 PM »
pyrokenisis, cyclopes style destruction, and everything in between...  over on gitp I have tried to do it 4 times now...  and I hope this time it will work.   

Both a pain to work mechanicaly...  then again that is why I made the telk and mindbender.  Hmm...

see, astral projection might be fun to work as a "I am legion" kind of charicter.  Still, would need to work around the miriad problems of a player with more then one charicter at once. 

premonition seems like just another buffer...  as longterm premonitions are hard to pull off without heavy railroading.  Would need an idea for mechanics there. 

Also, I have not played that game...  looks cool though. 

Telekineticist
Razor

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 03:24:45 PM »
How about Repository. You act as a keeper of minds and memories and you can access them to gain bonuses.
The basic mechanic is Access Points that you can invest on different Minds. At each level (or other level or something) you gain a Mind which looks like this:

(click to show/hide)

For each Access point you invest you gain the appropriate bonuses. When you gain for the first time the bonus it is set and cannot be changed. So in the example above you cannot change the feats or spells every time you access that mind. But you could have two similar Minds, one with BFC and the other with Blaster spells for example.

There could also be class features or feats that give extra benefits when you pair two minds. EX: Warrior + Mage = cast in armor.

You will probably be able to invest once per day, adding a second or third time as you level up.

It will be a Jack of all trade basically. What do you think?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 03:33:42 PM by samnemath »

Offline bobthe6th

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 04:22:46 PM »
this...  has actually been an idea floating around a lot recently.  the problem is that you basically get a lot of odd weak abilities, not properly filling the role.  If you want, you could try to make it.  heck, if you want I can give you a thread.  I just don't have a good idea for this. 

Telekineticist
Razor

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 04:47:15 PM »
Nah, I suck at homebrew  :D

Yes there are some classes similar to this, Persona and Anointed Heritor come to mind . I was thinking of a character being a soul repository for a long of time. The above two don't quite work as I imagined. Dimensional Conduit comes closest to what I though it would work, but has the hassle of creating a lot of characters, is confusing and there are a lot of situations it doesn't have answer for (recovering maneuvers for example).

Edit: If you know any other classes using some similar mechanic please tell me. I am quite interested in these kind of characters.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 05:40:55 PM by samnemath »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 11:27:46 PM »
I worked on something like this a while back, a blend of Psionics and Binding. I never finished it unfortunately. You should also look at Sirpercival's Planeswalker and Draconic Ideals which are mechanically more similar to what you're talking about. One of the characters in the Augury game on these boards is a Binder/Wyrm Warrior who's fluffed his vestiges as the memories/powers of ancient dragons.

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 01:27:16 AM »

I was aware of the Draconic Ideals, but the other two escaped me. I will check them out. Thanks!