Author Topic: Look at this thing I found in Pathfinder! The bad feats/spells/etc thread  (Read 128151 times)

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
Re: Look at this thing I found in Pathfinder! The bad feats/spells/etc thread
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2014, 06:01:12 PM »
The aquatic ancestry feat gives the ability to breathe air, but is exclusive to a race that can already breathe air. 

I don't know if the writer forgot to put in text about gaining the aquatic subtype or just never actually read the description of the amphibious special quality. 

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2014, 11:58:08 PM »
The aquatic ancestry feat gives the ability to breathe air, but is exclusive to a race that can already breathe air. 

I don't know if the writer forgot to put in text about gaining the aquatic subtype or just never actually read the description of the amphibious special quality.
To be fair, though, not all Undine can breathe air.  This is like a feat giving Dragonborn the ability to fly: some don't have a use for it, others do.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2014, 12:52:48 AM »
What sort of undine would be unable to breathe air?  I only see one alternative racial trait that affects breathing, and it results in being able to breathe both air and water.  I'll admit I know little of Pathfinder in general or undine specifically.  I could be overlooking something basic. 

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2014, 09:46:47 AM »
Well, I suppose the other way to look at it is that the feat grants the Amphibious quality (not explicitly the ability to breathe air), and according to the PFSRD, that means the creature also has the Aquatic subtype.  Perhaps it gives the ability to breathe water, then?

Still not a particularly useful feat, but not worthless either.

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Rolling a boulder up a hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2014, 06:45:47 PM »
Bumping this thread to commemorate the official death of the rogue class.
That's a campaign trait. Most GMs won't allow you to take a campaign trait unless they are specifically running that campaign. Also, if you're looking for a trait that does in Rogues, here's a religion trait for you:
DEFENSIVE STRATEGIST
Source Faiths of Purity pg. 17
Category Religion
Requirement(s) Torag
Your knowledge of dwarven history and religion gives you an excellent mind for defensive strategy and tactics. You are not flat-footed when you are an unaware combatant. This includes a surprise round that you don’t get to act in, and before you get to act at the start of a battle.

Back to the thread subject for a moment, an enterprising poster has brought another terrible feat to my attention, so I am quoting it here:
COMBAT PATROL (COMBAT)
Source Advanced Player's Guide
You range across the battlefield, dealing with threats wherever they arise.

Prerequisites: Combat Reflexes, Mobility, base attack bonus +5.

Benefit: As a full-round action, you may set up a combat patrol, increasing your threatened area by 5 feet for every 5 points of your base attack bonus. Until the beginning of your next turn, you may make attacks of opportunity against any opponent in this threatened area that provokes attacks of opportunity. You may move as part of these attacks, provided your total movement before your next turn does not exceed your speed. Any movement you make provokes attacks of opportunity as normal.
Yep, you have to move for all of these attacks you're threatening, you give up a full-round action to set this up, and if you run out of speed you're done.

PF nerfed casters?
Magical Lineage, Spell Perfection, Arcane Concordance, Stack MetamagicChannel the Gift, Samsaran's Mystic Past Life, & Metamagic Focus (3rd party, but pfsrd'd).
PFSRD does not mean "official" in the slightest. There's a ton of insane 3rd party shit on the pfsrd. I can probably shit out something retarded and get it listed on the PFSRD under "third party" too. We don't care about 3rd party content in Pathfinder unless it's Dreamscarred Press. "Stack Metamagic" and "Metamagic Focus" are both 3rd party content. They might as well not exist. If you're looking for broken Pathfinder spells, there's also shit like Source Severance and Bestow Grace of the Champion (crazy for Oracles).

Arcane Concordance is a bit ridiculous, but it's also a Bard only spell, and the Bard sucks at metamagic, barring the use of rods. I think the AoE aspect of it makes it a bit too good though.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 08:12:24 AM by Power »

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
  • You have one round to give a rat's ass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2014, 11:11:10 AM »
PF nerfed casters?
Magical Lineage, Spell Perfection, Arcane Concordance, Stack MetamagicChannel the Gift, Samsaran's Mystic Past Life, & Metamagic Focus (3rd party, but pfsrd'd).
PFSRD does not mean "official" in the slightest. There's a ton of insane 3rd party shit on the pfsrd. I can probably shit out something retarded and get it listed on the PFSRD under "third party" too. We don't care about 3rd party content in Pathfinder unless it's Dreamscarred Press. "Stack Metamagic" and "Metamagic Focus" are both 3rd party content. They might as well not exist. If you're looking for broken Pathfinder spells, there's also shit like Source Severance and Bestow Grace of the Champion (crazy for Oracles).

Arcane Concordance is a bit ridiculous, but it's also a Bard only spell, and the Bard sucks at metamagic, barring the use of rods. I think the AoE aspect of it makes it a bit too good though.

Those two items being 3rd party does not invalidate SorO's point. His point was that casters overall got buffed, and Arcane Concordance can be obtained on a Sorcerer fairly easily. Simple fact: Noncasters are worse-off in PF-only than they were in 3.5, especially if they are required to use current errata.

And people complain that 4E's errata policy sucked...
Concerned about how moderation works here? Please PM this account.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2014, 04:56:26 PM »
Back to the thread subject for a moment, an enterprising poster has brought another terrible feat to my attention, so I am quoting it here:
COMBAT PATROL (COMBAT)
Source Advanced Player's Guide
You range across the battlefield, dealing with threats wherever they arise.

Prerequisites: Combat Reflexes, Mobility, base attack bonus +5.

Benefit: As a full-round action, you may set up a combat patrol, increasing your threatened area by 5 feet for every 5 points of your base attack bonus. Until the beginning of your next turn, you may make attacks of opportunity against any opponent in this threatened area that provokes attacks of opportunity. You may move as part of these attacks, provided your total movement before your next turn does not exceed your speed. Any movement you make provokes attacks of opportunity as normal.
Yep, you have to move for all of these attacks you're threatening, you give up a full-round action to set this up, and if you run out of speed you're done.
Actually, it says you may move.  Also, I can still think of ways to abuse it.  Say, with archery?  I believe this would let you make ranged AoO's as it would override the normal "ranged weapons don't threaten".

Not that I wouldn't prefer just making a full attack, normally, but there are times when this would actually be pretty good.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2014, 05:42:44 PM »
Yeah, I don't think anyone would choose to move as part of that, but I can't help but feel like you're SUPPOSED to. Just the guy who wrote the feat didn't understand how threatened area works .
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
  • You have one round to give a rat's ass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2014, 08:09:35 PM »
Yeah, I don't think anyone would choose to move as part of that, but I can't help but feel like you're SUPPOSED to. Just the guy who wrote the feat didn't understand how threatened area works .

And now that we've found it, SKR/Jason will "errata" it to nerf it balance it because of that oversight.
Concerned about how moderation works here? Please PM this account.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2014, 03:21:09 PM »
Not "bad" as in near useless, but very overpowered.

So... I can end up trading a spell slot to tell the fighter 'buff thyself'? What.

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2014, 04:01:25 PM »
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ Make a contract with me, and become an etc. etc.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2014, 04:10:14 PM »

Somehow I can't imagine Asmodeus employing those things.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2014, 06:36:29 PM »
Looks like it might have limited use in transfering Personal only spells.  Not exactly the most useful spell, but looks better than some I've seen.
Mudada.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2014, 11:03:32 PM »
Transfers some personal spells and gives the "donor" some decent bonuses in return.  Profane bonuses aren't exactly handed out a lot.

Offline ImperatorK

• Legendary Member
  • Chara did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
    • Kristof Imperator YouTube Channel
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2014, 01:36:13 AM »

Prime wasn't implying Asmodeus. He was implying /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Magic is for weaklings.

Alucard: "*snif snif* Huh? Suddenly it reeks of hypocrisy in here. Oh, if it isn't the Catholic Church. And what's this? No little Timmy glued to your crotch. Progress!"
My YT channel - LoL gameplay

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2014, 08:13:20 AM »

Prime wasn't implying Asmodeus. He was implying /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Check the spell list it's on. :p

Offline Leviathan

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2014, 02:23:08 AM »
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/repositioning

Repositioning is a +3 weapon ability that gives a +2 bonus to combat maneuver checks to reposition a creature, and lets you reposition as a free action with a critical. You already add your weapon's enhancement bonus to combat maneuver checks, and the bonus from the WSA is also an enhancement bonus, so they don't stack. Compared to a boring +4 weapon, a +1 repositioning weapon gives you -2 when repositioning and -3 to all other attack rolls, combat maneuver checks, and damage rolls. That occasional free action reposition must be really valuable.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 02:29:02 AM by Leviathan »

Offline Squirel_Dude

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2014, 03:07:46 AM »
I give you all the Natural Alchemist (Thuvian Alchemist), it's the wizard PrC disguised as an Alchemist PrC.

Offline Craiconn

• 31" Vertical Leap ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2014, 10:38:39 PM »
The Haunting Mists spell looks to be like a pretty terrific multi-utility 2nd level spell that a good majority of arcane spell casters would love to have in their repertoire.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/haunting-mists

Sadly, it's range and effect puts the spellcaster right into its effects.  Since it is a figment spell, it should also have a Disbelief component to the Saving Throw.  But hell no ... it doesn't.