Author Topic: The Basileus is dead!  (Read 18899 times)

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
Re: The Basileus is dead!
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2016, 07:14:18 PM »
Have we found any rules to increase spears? I'd love to use one, but other than a few specific builds, they seem to lack punch. Was thinking of refluffing a Guisarme as a wide bladed spear...
Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2016, 07:36:18 PM »
So right now, while there are quite a few interesting homebrewed warrior type classes, I want to pursue a philosopher, perhaps a Greek philosopher after the Socratic method... It would probably be a psionic foundation based on debuffing enemies ("weakening the opponent's argument") and control (therefore cooperatively eliminating hypotheses and coming to a logical understanding about the world). Perhaps there is a way to tie it into the Gods or some other mythology in order to be more appropriate for the game. I'll keep looking for some build inspiration to get a rough skeleton outlined. If anyone knows anything that might fit, let me know!

Offline Dr_emperor

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2016, 08:50:09 PM »
I love it!  That in no way needs to be tied to mythology its tied to current events,  Socrates and Plato may be dead and Aristotle really should be...  The game is taking place in historically the time period when Greek philosophy was at a golden age Platonists, Aristolean, Stoics, and Epicureans debated at the Lyseum.   I also have no clue how to do that? Possibly a Truenamer fix that uses powerful rhetoric?  :banghead(I might have to read one of those)

geniussavant
I gave up after Risada found a way to do it with class levels.  I was hoping someone else would do it for me and got lazy after that.

Just to be clear I meant crafting in the game, that you'd be able to have time to do that fairly easily.  I want to keep everyone to WBL in the beginning.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2016, 09:00:44 PM »
To me that sounds like psion into thrall herd to me. Possibly with a nod to Metis.

I'll keep looking into spears. Haven't really found anything that makes them dinner, but I could likely use one anyways.

Okay on the WBL. I assume that includes me paying for my gear at market value until after the game starts?

Can anyone clarify if I can channel a spell cast from a wand? I'm pretty sure that I should be able to but I can't seem to find clarification.

Edit; are you okay with me getting two wand sheaths, putting wand chambers in a pair of spiked gauntlets and one in my spear?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:03:22 PM by geniussavant »
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2016, 09:20:42 PM »
So right now, while there are quite a few interesting homebrewed warrior type classes, I want to pursue a philosopher, perhaps a Greek philosopher after the Socratic method... It would probably be a psionic foundation based on debuffing enemies ("weakening the opponent's argument") and control (therefore cooperatively eliminating hypotheses and coming to a logical understanding about the world). Perhaps there is a way to tie it into the Gods or some other mythology in order to be more appropriate for the game. I'll keep looking for some build inspiration to get a rough skeleton outlined. If anyone knows anything that might fit, let me know!

.........were you thinking of this class? I had it bookmarked from an old gestalt build I did a year or two ago.
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Philosopher_(3.5e_Class)
I want to be born. To live. That is all I want. -Aura

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2016, 09:38:15 PM »
I wasn't specifically, though reading it at first glance just seems like a weaker Psion (except being able to learn all the powers from a given discipline at once). It might work well with gestalt, especially if paired with another psionic class, though it seems pretty ripe for prestige classing otherwise since it gets so little.

Something to consider though, thanks!

@genius: hmmm, honestly I don't think Thrallherd works thematically for what I'm planning.. Obviously a potent PrC, but I'm not creating a cult, I'm helping others realize their full potential and see the world for what it truly is.. Stripping away the layers so it can be seen fresh and true.. ;)

@dr_emperor: also a good idea! I will have to see if there are any decent Truenamer fixes.

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2016, 09:50:46 PM »
I wasn't specifically, though reading it at first glance just seems like a weaker Psion (except being able to learn all the powers from a given discipline at once). It might work well with gestalt, especially if paired with another psionic class, though it seems pretty ripe for prestige classing otherwise since it gets so little.

Something to consider though, thanks!

@genius: hmmm, honestly I don't think Thrallherd works thematically for what I'm planning.. Obviously a potent PrC, but I'm not creating a cult, I'm helping others realize their full potential and see the world for what it truly is.. Stripping away the layers so it can be seen fresh and true.. ;)

@dr_emperor: also a good idea! I will have to see if there are any decent Truenamer fixes.

No problem, it just pinged in my head when the words psionic and philosopher were put together. Personally I thought it was nice enough to use as a supplement, but I wanted more feats since it has no Metapsionic support. Or even a few counts of Expanded Knowledge since you only get the Psion Disciplines.

Although some lesser 'educator' perks like the "Weed Out Ignorance" under epic.....
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:52:24 PM by Rekmond »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2016, 01:05:17 PM »
Looks like everyone else is coming along nicely. :)

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2016, 06:15:26 PM »
Okay, I now have my nice new Illuminations crafted...just need to name them.

I even have the obligatory spammable Laser that all Magical Girl-esque characters are required to possess.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2016, 08:24:06 PM »
How much would it hurt if I changed my mind on duskblade? Feat wise, I'm strapped. Without flaws, along with a Warforged body feat and taking craft construct at level 6 to make up for the warforged racial sub level, I only have one feat to use. Was going to take poison spell and rely heavily on poisons, but I'm worried about my damage output...

Anyone mind taking a look and giving me some feed back?

Offline Dr_emperor

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2016, 09:34:08 PM »
Are you factoring a few long duration buffs or a duskblade channeled spell?  Also how did your wisdom get to 4 shouldn't the minimum be 6?  Warforged aren't -4 to Wisdom are they?

Also I truly believe from SorO_Lost that he intends to haste as a primary first action.  Just theorizing but from reading his posts he seems like a relentless optimizer and we have 1 ranged archer, 1 god using ranged weapons and a horse, 1 Spartan hoplite, and your character.  I think with party composition haste will be optimal.  The philosopher so far is the one not being helped by haste. 

Also we have a board,  Hail Basileus.  We will be moving there.

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?board=242.0
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 09:55:26 PM by Dr_emperor »

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2016, 10:03:26 PM »
Currently figuring personal weapon augmentation (likely bane or virulent [DotU] with enough prep time (speaking of which, do I get action points?) And shocking grasp with poison spell and poison on the weapon. Use my swift action the following round to either swift cast a spell and channel or activate my weapon capsule retainer.

Pressed and preped, he could theoretically use a channeled poisoned shocking grasp and all three weapon capsules at the same time along with a virulent personal weapons augment to inflict 4 poisons on the target, three of which have their secondary effects take place 5 rounds afterwords.

Ya know, Maybe I'm over thinking things...

And it's point buy, I dropped the starting 8 in wis to 6 to boost int for the skill points. I'm still working on the point buy.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2016, 10:45:19 PM »
The philosopher so far is the one not being helped by haste. 

Hopefully that won't be a problem, but I can always switch to a somewhat simpler combatant-style character.

Offline Dr_emperor

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2016, 06:13:26 AM »
No thats really not necessary.  It still helps with tactical maneuvering.

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2016, 08:28:13 AM »
How much would it hurt if I changed my mind on duskblade? Feat wise, I'm strapped. Without flaws, along with a Warforged body feat and taking craft construct at level 6 to make up for the warforged racial sub level, I only have one feat to use. Was going to take poison spell and rely heavily on poisons, but I'm worried about my damage output...

Anyone mind taking a look and giving me some feed back?

You can capitalize your damage with duskblade using Blade of Blood. As for Weapon Augmentation, bane is always good. You can also try going nova with Spell Storing, sort of.

Melee attack + Poisoned Shocking Grasp (Arcane Channeling?) + Shocking Grasp (Spell Storing) + Blade of blood = at least 13d6 worth of damage.

Also, (for the future), consider taking 2 levels in Wyrm Wizard and pick stuff like Combustion to use with arcane channeling or other good buffs you might want.

Edit: find a way to keep Heroics always on with Power Attack or something...