Author Topic: I designed a Tome of Battle/Path of War community for Roll20 players  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
Here's the link.

If you're like me, you probably view the maneuver system as the best thing since sliced bread for martials. Versatile, interesting to play characters not limited to "charge/full attack" and Big Dumb Fighter stereotypes. A list of interesting options and choices in combat, from defensive counters to battlefield control and buffs which can help the party. A Pathfinder spiritual sequel produced by one of the best 3rd Party publishers who put out balanced, playtested products.

It's a shame, then, that the ideas are very divisive in the D&D community. As a result, I see even the most liberal of GMs in online groups banning the use of said books. I figured with the relative difficulty in finding Tome of Battle/Path of War-friendly games, that a Roll20 community dedicated to its fans would be a good idea.

This Roll20 community is not a game per se, but a hub of sorts for 3.X and Pathfinder fans who enjoy such material in their games whether as player or GM. If you have a Roll20 account and wish to join, post in the discussion forum and let me know!

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
Re: I designed a Tome of Battle/Path of War community for Roll20 players
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 04:36:47 PM »
Hm, now I'm curious whether PoW has any issues that errata needs to fix like ToB had.

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 04:20:30 PM »
Hm, now I'm curious whether PoW has any issues that errata needs to fix like ToB had.
Having played it a bit, I find the recovery mechanics a little klunky.  I get where they were going, but in practice, around a table, they are a bit too thought intensive.  I find myself longing for ToB's simpler ones. 

I'd also probably move away from the weapon-specific disciplines as much as possible. 

Not sure if those were the sorts of things you were referencing, but those are some impressions off the top of my head. 

As a side note, I see the maneuvers thing as one of many potential means to making interesting fighter types.  It's one of the ones that's better implemented and supported in 3E/Pathfinder, but it's by no means the only one that I can conceive of.  And, it's got its own pros and cons.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 04:44:01 PM »
Hi Libertad.  I'm slowly working on something that may be of appeal to you: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?board=233.0

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 06:06:46 PM »
Having played it a bit, I find the recovery mechanics a little klunky.  I get where they were going, but in practice, around a table, they are a bit too thought intensive.  I find myself longing for ToB's simpler ones. 

I'd also probably move away from the weapon-specific disciplines as much as possible. 

Not sure if those were the sorts of things you were referencing, but those are some impressions off the top of my head. 

As a side note, I see the maneuvers thing as one of many potential means to making interesting fighter types.  It's one of the ones that's better implemented and supported in 3E/Pathfinder, but it's by no means the only one that I can conceive of.  And, it's got its own pros and cons.

My train of thought was more about how Firesnake is broken.  It entirely lacks a duration for example.  Stuff like that.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 08:04:07 PM »
Posted request to join.

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 09:11:15 PM »
Okay, I sent invites to all the folk who posted on Roll20.  We have 6 folk now (including myself).  Am happy to see it growing!