Author Topic: Balancing an Immobile Race  (Read 1976 times)

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Balancing an Immobile Race
« on: November 30, 2015, 01:59:37 AM »
A friend has made a request of me: one of his players wants to play what's effectively a robotic jack-in-the-box.  Shouldn't be too hard but for one thing: it would have to be carried by another PC as it has no movement of any kind.  It has been suggested allowing it to move via SLA's at higher levels (they want 3-5 Racial Hit Dice), but am I alone in thinking balancing this out will be a tough task at best?

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
Re: Balancing an Immobile Race
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 03:11:09 AM »
You appear to be correct that it's gonna be a bit of a bitch to balance.  Consider starting with either a shrieker or a psicrystal as the base critter. Being immobile should have some hefty dex penalties attached, IMO.
Apathy is ...ah screw it.
My Homebrew

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 03:37:14 AM »
You have to assume that the player will find some way around the disadvantage of not being able to move.  They still (presumably) have to invest resources in to overcoming that obstacle, but it isn't necessarily a huge deal.  For example, they might prioritize buying an item that grants flight more than buying another +1 enchantment on their weapon, but they're still going to buy both anyway.  So at best they should get some minor bonus that a character with normal locomotion wouldn't get, but not anything huge.  Maybe a +1-3 Natural Armor bonus?

You might consider limiting the body slots they have available.  Nothing that uses the "feet" slot, for example.  This is kind of a big deal, and is a much more difficult thing to bypass (you pay a 100% premium to have a slotless version of an item, and only if the DM allows it anyway), so it deserves some kind of bonus to make up for it.  Maybe a racial bonus feat, useful special ability, or an extra +2 to a stat? 

I would suggest giving him the ability to crawl 5' as a full round action, to minimize the chances of him not being able to act at all.  It's no fun being put into a position where all your character can do is twiddle his thumbs and wait to be rescued.

Honestly, I think the Construct type that's implied by "robotic jack-in-the-box" will be more difficult to balance than the lack of locomotion.  That type has a lot of built-in immunities, and usually warrants some kind of level adjustment all by itself.  Maybe go the Warforged route and make it a Living Construct?
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 04:02:40 AM »
For the Jack-in-the-box aspect of it, the only special feature I'd give it is being able to always act in a surprise round.
Considering everything being gained from being a potential Construct already. A bit less passively gained if you go with Living Construct instead, but if you don't try to totally trick the thing out, Construct immunities should be perfectly fine along with some standard stat bonuses and penalties.
Maybe some built in effective rogue levels for those racial HD that can stack with normal Rogue levels and you'd be nice and set. Perhaps not full 1:1 ratio on Racial HD to effective Rogue level tho of course. With your mention of their wanting of 3 to 5 racial HD, I'd set it at 4 RHD and +2 effective Rogue levels.

In total:
W/e Stat Boosts/Penalties
Construct Immunities (And likewise all of it's drawbacks)
1/2-ish Effective Rogue Levels
Always Act in a Surprise Round
Definitely no bigger than Small Sized

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 05:22:21 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl6hNj1uOkY&feature=youtu.be  The critter in this vid is the inspiration