Author Topic: The Most Overpowered Weapon: The Shuriken (A guide to silly shuriken enchanting)  (Read 28759 times)

Offline JaronK

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
This originally started as something of a joke, but it's a heck of a powerful option if allowed, so I'm going to leave it here.  The Shuriken is enchanted like ammunition (so a single Shuriken costs 1/50th the normal magic item cost), and of course breaks if you throw it... but why throw it?  There's so many good enchantments to put on such a weapon if you're just going to hold it in your hand.  Consider the fact that a +1 Shurkien with 9 points of magic item mods costs just 4kgp.  This is absolutely amazing for anyone who might normally have a hand free, such as most arcane casters.  In fact, the bonuses are so good it makes fighting with a single one handed weapon a decent plan.

Note that for any ability that requires actually hitting something in melee (such as Spell Storing) you'll actually need to use Crossbow Bolts, which allow melee attacks but are not as cool as Shuriken.  If your DM says they'll break even when used to poke yourself in melee, make them out of Aurorum (a metal that recombines after a full round when broken).  Congrats, you have magic syringes!  If the DM says this still destroys the magic, just don't use those options... I've labeled them.  Or put them on Morphing Shuriken so you can morph them into Kukris first, then attack with them.

Note that many DMs will find this to be TO, especially when dealing with unique weapons refashioned as Shurikens.  By RAW this all definitely works for non unique weapons, but it's unclear if you're allowed to put the enchantment of the Luckblade (for example) on a ranged weapon.  I've included all special weapons whose effects aren't obviously thematically tied to their shape... use them at your peril, and I have noted which of these are unique weapons.  Also, I'm assuming here that any effect that triggers on attacks or says "when you attack" such as Dragondoom only works if you attack with the weapon (so I'm mostly not using it except where a melee with an improvised weapon would be acceptable, such as vs friendly folks and objects).

Some of the fun mods to play with, spoilered due to huge size:

(click to show/hide)

Some example combo items:

The protector:  +5 Defending Spellstrike Parrying Shuriken of Warning.  For 4kgp, you get +5 Initiative when it's held, and your choice of +5 AC or +5 to saves vs spells and spell like abilities.  You get an additional +1 Insight to AC and +1 Insight to Saves too.

Knowledge Charms:  Fine sized +1 Bane [Creature Type] Fiercebane Manifester Shuriken.  Designed to be sewn on to a psionic character's sleeve, you can have one for every creature type.  When they glow, there's a creature of that type within 60'.  Also, you get +5 power points per day for every one of these you have (just grab one to use 5 power points off it).  They're 850gp each.

Spellbreakers:  Dispelling/Greater Dispelling +1 Crossbow Bolt of Illusion Bane/Theft.  Just tap one of these bolts on anything with a spell effect on it... if it's an illusion you'll steal it for later use, if not you just destroy the spell.  You get three uses of Dispel Magic, three of Greater Dispel Magic, and plenty of illusion specific dispelling.  And it's only around 2kgp.  Every Rogue should have one.  Take that Arcane Lock!

Medivac Syringe:  Spell Storing Vanishing Crossbow Bolt.  Have the party Cleric cast an appropriate healing spell or protective buff into the bolt to charge it.  Now you can stab yourself with it to get an emergency heal and a 60 foot teleport to somewhere perhaps a touch safer.  If you've got Tomb Tainted Soul, use Consumptive instead and now you don't need the Cleric... and can keep stabbing yourself for more healing (but the teleport move is once per day).

Shuriken of the Duelist:  A +5 Parrying Displacement Defending Shuriken of Initiative and Warning makes a great offhand item for a one handed melee character.  +6 AC, +1 to all saves, and 50% miss chance, along with +7 initiative?  Yeah, I'll take it.  It's around 6kgp.

Ultimate two weapon fighting blades: A pair of Feycraft Life Drinker Prismatic Burst Lifestealing Keen Aptitude +5 Morphing Abyssal Bloodiron Kukris for around 8kgp.  Gah. 

Discussion goes here:  http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=10420.0

JaronK