Author Topic: Intelligent Item campaign-PCs play as the equipment! (D&D 3.5)  (Read 40321 times)

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Re: Intelligent Item campaign-PCs play as the equipment! (D&D 3.5)
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2014, 11:35:52 PM »
With Arcane Item, if I have Still Spell, Silent Spell, & Eschew Materials, do I need Decievingly Innocent Form to cast spells?

And without needing the Dwarf to cast for me or have free hands or ect.?

QUESTION: Can I have Undead Leadership?

It might be getting obvious I want a Slaymate.....
I'd also try really hard to form a proper backstory around all this shenan' once I get all my problems wrapped up  :lmao
It's going to involve a bard. And Thriller. Kind of.
THRIIIIIIIIILEEEEER~
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 12:16:25 AM by ketaro »

Offline MrRoboto

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2014, 12:19:06 AM »
I don't have any sort of authority here, but I'd be a little disappointed if we ended up with minions. The whole "One Dwarf Dragon ASSAULT!" thing is kinda the point of the exercise.

Reposting questions due to last post on the page itis:

Could an intelligent Handy Haversack spend WBL on its contents? Could it use Mage Hand or a similar spell to manipulate said contents (take things out of itself and use them)?

When an arcane item casts spells, do they use the items actions, not the wielder's as with maneuvers? Asking because the ACF doesn't specify.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2014, 12:38:12 AM »
I don't want minions, I just need a rabbit in my hat, but the rabbit is a PAO'd Slaymate.
Just trying to cheese through metamagic reductions cause all these +1s add up too fast...  :(

Offline MrRoboto

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2014, 12:51:16 AM »
A hat with a rabbit in it makes much sense (is darn near a requirement, in fact.)

I wonder if it could be achieved with WBL. Enchant yourself as a bag of tricks or a summoning item or something like that.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2014, 01:11:22 AM »
Yes I can afford to enchant myself with a 1/day to cast Gate and acquire whatever I want but that's not interesting :D

.........Whoa thinking on it I could totally do the bag of tricks thing, that sounds hilarious. But that's almost stepping into the bounds of having minions and I don't want to go that far into that route.

Offline MrRoboto

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2014, 01:33:44 AM »
Bag of Tricks is more like summoning. Temporary, rather than permanent minions. Also, nothing that could serve as an alternate wielder for the items.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2014, 01:47:37 AM »
Also, nothing that could serve as an alternate wielder for the items.

You say that now...heheheh

Offline Threadnaught

• 1% good ideas 99% crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2014, 09:05:51 AM »
Aww man, Raineh Daze has already taken Speed?
I'll switch to Wind. Gotta knock those Dragons out of the sky.
What? We're going after Giants? Aww. :(

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2014, 02:05:42 PM »
Which reminds me, I snagged the Greater Power Frightening so don't step on mah toes :o

And also, I finished my character in lieu of not having any of my questions answered and assuming all answers were a "no". But I still want those questions answered cause I can tweak this :p
Most importantly is the Cursed Item question I want answered. That answer is what determines my final appearance   :D

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2014, 09:21:33 PM »
Well, if the armor's open, I'll get started.

Can I request you be made of Adamantine?

(click to show/hide)

It all stacks with Barbarian DR /- :D
Hmm.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2014, 09:19:39 AM »
I do not know the discipline weapons for schools. I need one with axes! :lmao

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2014, 09:34:22 AM »
I do not know the discipline weapons for schools. I need one with axes! :lmao

Stone Dragon has greataxe, Tiger Claw has both handaxe and greataxe, White Raven has battleaxe, and Iron Heart has Dwarven waraxe.
The Paladin Code: Detect Evil, Smite it, ask questions later.

Offline MrRoboto

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2014, 12:00:55 PM »
There are no universal rules attached to discipline weapons so they only matter if the school says they do. Many make little or no reference to them, so they're more like suggestions than requirements.

Thrashing Dragon is a TWF discipline and doesn't penalize not using discipline weapons that I can see.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2014, 12:09:56 PM »
It's not a martial school-specific thing, it's intelligent item. I can only pick from a school if I'm one of its discipline weapons (which also leads to the odd scenario where a masterwork tool is better for many disciplines than an intelligent discipline weapon, since it gets the skill), and I'm two weapons. So I'm not sure if I can take from White Raven, or not because I'm not two (and cannot be two) battleaxes.

Most of my focus will be on the Ancient Temple maneuvers, but it doesn't hurt to have some other nice school to pick from.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2014, 05:57:41 PM »
From the Compendium, I have narrowed your options:

(click to show/hide)
Hmm.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2014, 06:01:55 PM »
He can only count to 6.  :lmao

Edit:
It also gains a bonus to its Nat armor equal to its highest mental ability score, and an equal hardness score.

Just making sure this is intended before I write +20 natural armor down. ;)

Typo, fixed.

Could an intelligent Handy Haversack spend WBL on its contents? Could it use Mage Hand or a similar spell to manipulate said contents (take things out of itself and use them)?
Hmm, I'll say yes to that.

EDIT: When an arcane item casts spells, do they use the items actions, not the wielder's as with maneuvers? Asking because the ACF doesn't specify.

Eerr, it already says " As with maneuvers, the Intelligent Item cannot cast spells by itself, it must be wielded by somebody to speak the words, do the movements, and sprinkle any needed components on the Intelligent Item."

With Arcane Item, if I have Still Spell, Silent Spell, & Eschew Materials, do I need Decievingly Innocent Form to cast spells?
And without needing the Dwarf to cast for me or have free hands or ect.?
Trivia: Exchew materials only ignores cheap spell components, not spell focus. But yes if you don't mind paying all that metamagic, it would work.

QUESTION: Can I have Undead Leadership?
I'll have to say no, neither other forms of leadership. As already pointed out, the spirit of the campaign is a solo dwarf with a bunch of crazy sentient items, nobody else invited to the party. :p

A bag of tricks would work though, since they're mostly cute pets, aka basically acessories.

Most importantly is the Cursed Item question I want answered. That answer is what determines my final appearance   :D
You'll have to be more specific about that. What curse would you want?

It's not a martial school-specific thing, it's intelligent item. I can only pick from a school if I'm one of its discipline weapons (which also leads to the odd scenario where a masterwork tool is better for many disciplines than an intelligent discipline weapon, since it gets the skill), and I'm two weapons. So I'm not sure if I can take from White Raven, or not because I'm not two (and cannot be two) battleaxes.
Longsword is also a discipline Weapon for White Raven.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2014, 06:04:10 PM »
Sadly, one of the weapons has to be light, and it's the battleaxe that isn't. Can I just stick with the one school? :S

Relatedly: if I have the Ancient Temple tactical feats, would the dorf benefit? Especially where (I think) Mystic Dream is concerned so we don't eat TWF penalties all day. :lol

Offline Threadnaught

• 1% good ideas 99% crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2014, 06:34:16 PM »
I'm going through Spells and am wondering if Spells that affect Weapons, Armour and other Items are fair game to use on other PCs.

Offline MrRoboto

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2014, 07:00:33 PM »
Eerr, it already says " As with maneuvers, the Intelligent Item cannot cast spells by itself, it must be wielded by somebody to speak the words, do the movements, and sprinkle any needed components on the Intelligent Item."

After reading this I'm still not sure whether you're saying "the whole ability works like Martial Purpose so spells use the items' actions not the wielders'" or "it states that the item needs a wielder without mentioning that it doesn't take actions for the wielder so it does."

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2014, 07:02:11 PM »
I would assume it's the 'the wielder gets actions from the item' option. Otherwise, a lot of players are stuck unable to do anything.