Author Topic: [d20 Modern] Go Go Power Rangers!  (Read 16681 times)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
[d20 Modern] Go Go Power Rangers!
« on: September 17, 2014, 12:55:10 PM »

C3PO, Mr Robotnik's escaped! Recruit a team of teenagers with attitude!"

Whose up for a humorous and gory Power Ranger parody game? Possible adult themes and language. The team of teenagers are sucked up from their lives and tossed in over their heads against aliens, monsters, and Cthulhu clones as Mr Robotnick tries to take over the world.

Quick info
(click to show/hide)

Houserules
(click to show/hide)

Background
(click to show/hide)

Anyone interested or bored enough to give it a go?
If you need help setting up a Character, don't be fearful. It's pretty easy outside of profession/wealth and the latter isn't all that helpful. Ask for help and thou art receive it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 11:35:37 AM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
Re: [d20 Modern] Go Go Power Rangers!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 02:34:12 AM »
Possibly interested, though my last (and only) d20 modern character was a Sniper, and I've mostly forgotten the system.

Somehow I don't think a Sniper Ranger would be very... thematic. Or at least, wouldn't have been. I haven't seen the show in years and don't really remember it.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 11:50:43 AM »
Possibly interested, though my last (and only) d20 modern character was a Sniper, and I've mostly forgotten the system.

Somehow I don't think a Sniper Ranger would be very... thematic. Or at least, wouldn't have been. I haven't seen the show in years and don't really remember it.
Actually sniper is fine and I mentioned rifles as your primary. Modern loves guns.

And I intend the last upgrade that can be earned to be called "Genre Savvy" where you ask why don't the Power Rangers just summon their mechs and step on their enemies instead of fighting them so it's not like I'm sticking to canonical rangers anyway. See Zordon being a floating cat head :p

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 04:53:44 PM »

Actually sniper is fine and I mentioned rifles as your primary. Modern loves guns.

And I intend the last upgrade that can be earned to be called "Genre Savvy" where you ask why don't the Power Rangers just summon their mechs and step on their enemies instead of fighting them so it's not like I'm sticking to canonical rangers anyway. See Zordon being a floating cat head :p
:P Okay then.

I'll... see if I can find something like DNDTools, or go search for books somewhere.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 06:51:46 PM »
I have a link to the SRD in the first post if it'll help.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 07:57:40 PM »
I did see that, I was looking for other stuff as well (like how dndtools has the Complete series, but the d20srd does not).

Do you have a list of sources you want? Would you prefer we just use the SRD?
Edit: (Asking for the Weapons Locker. Because I'm guessing that the 'gun' we get isn't just a generic thing, and mimics one of the guns. Also because more ammunition / addon options are awesome.)

Why. Why is Point-Blank Shot a prerequisite for Precise Shot?  :banghead Can't it be Point-Blank /or/ Far? I mean... yep, d20 Modern still hates snipers. No sniper class, Gunslinger focuses on pistols, eeeurgh. Forgot how much that annoyed me.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 08:24:45 PM by Gazzien »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 12:32:29 AM »
I.......I-I really really reallyreallyreallyreally need this to be a thing.

I just gotta.
But I've only ever played d20 modern once and I don't even remember the stuff. I think I was trying to be stupid with like an archaic (or w/e) weapons master in a gunsablazing game. Cause swords dood.

So I'ma wanna do swords in a gunsablazing game again. Gimme a gunsword and a technicolor gimp suit and lets transform and roll out!
Wait....wrong show. :p

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 02:27:09 AM »
If I don't want to be Green, can I just pick my color?

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 12:45:07 PM »
I only have the SRD, but anything 1st party for Modern is open. The various Ranger groups have had everything from psionics, magic, ninjutsu, the power of arrest, to super speed and shapeshifting so nothing can really be out of place.

So I'ma wanna do swords in a gunsablazing game again. Gimme a gunsword and a technicolor gimp suit and lets transform and roll out!
Hope on in.

I actually don't really care either way, just preemptively quelling possible fights. If you want to try calling colors give it a shot.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 02:30:02 PM »
I only have the SRD, but anything 1st party for Modern is open. The various Ranger groups have had everything from psionics, magic, ninjutsu, the power of arrest, to super speed and shapeshifting so nothing can really be out of place.

Hope on in.

I actually don't really care either way, just preemptively quelling possible fights. If you want to try calling colors give it a shot.
I'd like to be Blue, if no-one objects. >W>"

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 08:39:20 PM »
I honestly just want a d100 chart of colors and the DM rolls. :P

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 10:47:49 AM »
You know, for as colorful as they are I've never seen a Rainbow Ranger.  :plotting

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 04:14:27 PM »
It's called the Megazord :P

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 11:29:54 AM »
Speaking of...

Updated the houserules section with the first round of gear (supermodes are a thing, just not a figured out thing). Sniping and gun-&-sword options are available.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 02:20:38 PM »
Clip sizes for the guns? Reloading types? Type of scope?

Sizes for the weapons?

Is the range for the Main Gun before or after taking into account the range increase from the scope?

Can you attach a bipod to the main gun? What about adjustable fittings?

Can you chamber rounds in either of the guns?

Can you use special ammunition with the weapons (AET / Cold-Loaded / Glaser / etc)?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 02:31:15 PM by Gazzien »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 04:20:54 PM »
Per PR is appears the hundguns are infinite and thus there is no need to reload unless you can think of a single episode they have ran out. That being said, clip size for the FarSight does make sense, it's a pretty powerful weapon. Scope wise, the Farsight has it built in (sic see increased range & description) and it's now an option on the SPD handgun.

Sizes for the weapons?
Small and Large.

Is the range for the Main Gun before or after taking into account the range increase from the scope?
After account of the built-in scope. Handgun's Practice upgrade now adds a scope as well.

I didn't find anything on bipods other than huge weapons requiring one. If there is a mechanical bonus for such then sure.

I wasn't aware there is a gun in creation that you can't so yeah.

Can you use special ammunition with the weapons (AET / Cold-Loaded / Glaser / etc)?
I like the idea of special ammunition but those are less applicable on fantasy/sci-fi laser weapons than ones modeled after real. Elemental themed rounds (fire/cold/electricity), high density (more dmg), and penetrative (ignore some ac) sounds cool. Special ammos will have limitations of use and expect some gimmicky call out to use :p
Updated the entries to mention a bit more to better cover things. The infinite side of the handgun will change when the special ammunition is added.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 04:26:34 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 05:39:41 PM »
Per PR is appears the hundguns are infinite and thus there is no need to reload unless you can think of a single episode they have ran out. That being said, clip size for the FarSight does make sense, it's a pretty powerful weapon. Scope wise, the Farsight has it built in (sic see increased range & description) and it's now an option on the SPD handgun.

Sizes for the weapons?
Small and Large.

After account of the built-in scope. Handgun's Practice upgrade now adds a scope as well.

I didn't find anything on bipods other than huge weapons requiring one. If there is a mechanical bonus for such then sure.

I wasn't aware there is a gun in creation that you can't so yeah.

I like the idea of special ammunition but those are less applicable on fantasy/sci-fi laser weapons than ones modeled after real. Elemental themed rounds (fire/cold/electricity), high density (more dmg), and penetrative (ignore some ac) sounds cool. Special ammos will have limitations of use and expect some gimmicky call out to use :p
Updated the entries to mention a bit more to better cover things. The infinite side of the handgun will change when the special ammunition is added.
Bipods provide a +1 circumstance to attack if you're using one with a Large-size weapon, and you have to use one with a Huge-size weapon (or you can't aim it properly).

I... zoned a bit. It's listed as one of the "options" for firearms in the Weapons Locker, but I didn't think about the fact that you have to be able to. And with infinite clip sizes... there's no point to chambering an extra round each time you reload xD

Special ammo, wonderful :D

Edit: Wait, the one-handed weapons do as much as the two-handed one? ... why? That means that using the Main Gun is half as effective as TWF... You've made the big gun less useful than the "two tiny daggers" :P
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 05:58:45 PM by Gazzien »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 10:01:31 PM »
Any downsides to using a bipod on a large weapon?

And for the damage difference, dual handguns (normally) requires a Feat & has TWF penalties, the rifle on the other hand upgrades to 6d6 so it's only 25% behind with no penalty or Feat requirement which is fair. I'm in the middle of working out a second pass, which sees the addition of a shotgunaxe but right now the sword isn't dealing enough to keep up with the pistol and never did so it's getting some love. All four I help will be close, just being different styles.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 12:44:16 AM »
You mean other than needing a move action to open it / prep it (from memory, don't think you can run around with it closed) and needing a spot to put it that's about even with your shoulders?

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 11:46:50 AM »
Cool, semi-added.

Ok, weapons are done outside of additional insight and barring that won't change. Swords (with minor strength) deal just a hair more than pistols but pistols have range. You can also go both, sword in one hand and a pistol in the other, the snap-kick upgrade lets you do that. They both also gain accuracy bonuses. Heavy weapons includes the sniper rifle and shotgun axe, both are two-handers. They both, after upgrades, trend towards more damage. The sniper rifle of course has the longest range but is a bit slower (rof/bipod) and the shotgun hits harder than than the rest but doesn't have the range of guns or the critical power of the sword. They are purposely higher than modern weapons for a reason (sic watch PRs some time) so enjoy feeling awesome. Special Ammo I'll do at some point, no real hurry and supermodes/battlizers will come later if the game lasts that long.

How goes character creation on your ends?