Author Topic: Chaos in the Old World  (Read 2913 times)

Offline De Molay

• Lurker
  • Watching the storms
    • View Profile
Chaos in the Old World
« on: June 25, 2013, 06:39:57 PM »
Has anyone played this boardgame? I'm not too much into Warhammer, but the game feels really nice. Good balance, as far as I can tell, different and distinctive strategies, enough random to make the game dynamic but not overly uncontrollable.
Laid my hands on the Horned Rat expansion a while ago but didn't have any chance to try it out. Has anyone? Any thoughts?

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• View Profile
Re: Chaos in the Old World
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 03:51:34 AM »
It's a very good game.

It is best played with four players. The expansion is cute and all, but the standard game is perfectly balanced - which is quite difficult to do, considering that each god has special (different) powers.

It usually goes like this:

0-5 games: Khorne is overpowered!
6-10 games: Khorne is underpowered!
11-15 games: Nurgle is overpowered!
16-20 games: This game is really balanced!

It doesn't have much of a Warhammer feel, because the setting is in the past (? old world refers to that I suppose).

The problem is that it takes a dedicated team in order to play CitOW. It's not newbie-friendly in a sense that if a god is missing, someone has an advantage (and by missing, I mean, not played properly). Once you learn how to play the game and develop strategies, CitOW is very rewarding and has a high replay value.

I'm afraid that while the expansion is done very well, the rat god is not able to replace any of the other four in a four-player game; it's more of a way to enjoy CitOW with five players.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 08:40:44 AM »
It doesn't have much of a Warhammer feel, because the setting is in the past (? old world refers to that I suppose).

The old world refers to the primary continent in the warhammer fantasy universe.

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 09:00:54 AM »

The old world refers to the primary continent in the warhammer fantasy universe.

I don't know much about Warhammer, but what I think about when people tell me about it is spaceships, marines and stuff like that; chaos in the old world has more of a medieval setting.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 09:05:59 AM »
Warhammer is two different games, fantasy (Warhammer) and Sci-Fi (Warhammer 40,000). The fantasy version came about earlier than the sci-fi one but it significantly less popular. They share chaos gods across the settings (there are suggestions that the fantasy world is in the 40k universe but cut off from the rest of the galaxy by a warp storm of some kind).