Author Topic: Popularity of 3.5E/PF over 4E/5E  (Read 35773 times)

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Popularity of 3.5E/PF over 4E/5E
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 02:27:50 PM »
First, why can't the guy with the sword "ask the gods to change reality for him," like hundreds of characters of myth, fiction, and legend have before him?  That only means ignoring, let's see ... every Greek hero, every ancient king of legend, all the myths of India, Joan of Arc, Roland (of both Gilead and Charlemagne fame, pick your favorite), and I'm sure several hundred others that don't readily occur to me.  There's absolutely no reason that the guy with the funny robe and big heavy book gets special access to cosmic power.  Indeed, there are many, many counterexamples where the guy with the sword is the one that the gods pay the most attention to.  Arbitrary distinction is arbitrary, and really just a product of D&D.

Except . . .
Very few Greek heroes go up against magic. When they do, then tend wind up rather thoroughly screwed. Jason and Medea? Even when they don't they are still limited and generally mortal, dying to anything from a common stab in the back to a poisoned cloak (sort of) to "inevitable" divine curse.
Ancient kings of legend have the same limitations when faced with magic - unless of course they are magic users themselves. Irish and Finnish myth is predicated on that, as is a portion of Norse myth. And when those kings have no magic? Yep, dead again to simple treachery.
Indian myth is pretty much divine myth with all the kings being powerful spellcasters.
Roland died from just being outnumbered, and Roland required his own "spellcaster" to achieve victory (such as it was).
Joan of Arc, with no actual paladin spellcasting (as lame as that is) wound up well-done.
So in myth the guy with the funny robe and heavy book, or reasonable facsimile thereof, really does get special access to cosmic power.

Second, the above quote says "more powerful."  D&D is meant to emulate some melange of fantasy adventure (sub-)genres.  This is its DNA and its goal.  We have over a century of such tales where "guy with sword" beats the ever loving crap out of "wizardy dude."  We can start with Robert E Howard or Burroughs and pick Steven Erikson for a modern instance.  There is absolutely no sense that Thoth-Amon is automatically more powerful than Conan, or that Quick Ben is more dangerous or powerful than Onos Tool'an.  That's a premiere archmage (a cheaty one, so way more powerful than his rivals) in the setting up against a premiere warrior, and if Ben ever got wind that Tool wanted him dead, he'd try and put the nearest continent between the two of them.

Except . . .
Conan never really defeats Thoth Amon in a stand up battle. Or any other wizard. Instead he gets captured, placed in a death trap, escapes either through defeating something by muscle or being aided by a rival wizard or both, then gains access to the "secret" knowledge necessary to completely neutralize the enemy wizard's powers, whereupon he returns, runs out of bubblegum, and does what Wolverine does best. 

And, just to head off the obvious Tolkien point, Ecthelion, a dude with a sword (and a spiky helmet) had a Pyrrhic victory against Gothmog, Lord of All Balrogs and the right hand captain of Morgoth (aka Sauron's boss, Gothmog is of equal rank to Sauron).  So, suck it Gandalf the Grey.  Likewise, Kasryn of the Gyre or the High Lords want no piece of the Bloodguard or the Giants, and those aren't even "guys with swords."  They're "guys with fists."

Ecthelion, like most all elves, is a powerful spellcaster. So really bad choice there. 

Of course, I could have picked any number of ancient heroes to prove the same point.  Odysseus is just "guy with sword" (he doesn't even have his bow on him) but he defeats Circe, the ancient magic user.  Making this older than the English language.

In a straight up fight?
Or by trickery?
Oh right, by trickery.

Pick your favorite dozen examples, but there's never been a sense, until D&D, that Wizards were greater and cooler and more powerful than Warriors.  It's a game artifact, no more or no less.

Pick your favorite, and I expect on close examination the Warrior never wins in a straight up fight, but always uses trickery, has help from a rival spellcaster, or both.
In many respects that is the nature of the beast - the essence of the tropes - particularly he who lives by the supernatural shenanigans, dies by the supernatural shenanigans, along with stressing the innate superiority of those who live according to the laws of nature and divine entities.

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2015, 08:55:55 PM »
In general, there was far less (if even existent) overarching rules for any given situation, and that unpredictability made it a hell of a lot tougher to Batman Doctor Doom Wizard your way through problems.

Thank you  :D

No, seriously.  Thank you!

You have NO IDEA how much I loathe "Batman Wizard" and have endured in silent despair for years.  I didn't even want to add the strikethrough there, but figured most wouldn't get it if I left it out.  :)

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 11:01:19 AM »
@Samwise

Name a single spell that Ecthelion ever casts.  In fact, I'll do you one better, name a single spell cast by any Elf in all of Tolkien that does not bear a Ring of Power.  I wouldn't be shocked if there's one or two that I'm forgetting, but to my recollection the Elves who engage in feats of overt magical power are Galadriel and Elrond.  Both have Rings of Power. 

You're opting to back-port in D&D's sense that Elves = Wizards into Tolkien, but there's little support for it (although Tolkien's world is obviously not class-based).  Ecthelion uses a sword.  Turin uses a sword.  Hell, Gandalf even uses a sword.  Elves tend to be great at crafts, and crafting items we'd call "magical," but there's very very little spellcasting.  And, especially not spellcasting that would be considered "powerful" in a combat sense.  They do things like healing with Kingsfoil.  For Balrogs, they stab.  I'm open to counterexamples, but that's always been my sense of things.

I'm also not sure why "trickery" is utterly disallowed from the Sword Guy.  So, for this comparison the only abilities that a warrior is ever allowed is "swings sword like a moron?"  If we lobotomize the warriors they are going to have a tough time of it. 

I was trying to make two points.  The above comments speak to point #2, that in literature and myth warriors often don't seem to suck.  Point #1 was that calling upon divine and cosmic power is not the unique province of wizards or clerics.  There are numerous mythical characters that can call upon the divine.  Diomedes is guy with sword #214 (well, spear, but you get the idea) and he gets divine power.  There are examples too numerous to list.  So, I'm not sure why "magic" is behind some class-based paywall to begin with. 

Many fantasy settings are saturated with the supernatural.  It's like denying Elric Stormbringer (yeah, I know E is a spellcaster, too ...).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 11:20:05 AM by Unbeliever »

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 11:13:37 AM »
You're right that stories where "guy with sword" beats magic users are very prevalent. Why? Because they're underdog stories. It's one of the oldest and most well-loved archetypes in the world, across all cultures.  Within the continuity of their own stories, those guys are the (respective) exceptions that prove the rule. They are the one special hero within each setting who dares to fight cosmic power and succeeds where hosts of others have failed. The stories wouldn't be interesting otherwise. If the odds aren't stacked against the hero, he's not a hero.
Shoddy argument is shoddy.  I listed a number of examples.  You don't get to discount them all just by mislabeling them as "underdog" stories.  There's always a sense of dramatic tension in stories so you want the hero to face deep challenges.  But, these are not all, or indeed even mostly, examples of where a warrior is by virtue of being a warrior an underdog.  That is what your argument relies on, the sense that magic is a special force multiplier. 

There is no sense that the following:  Tool, Bannor, Roland Deschain, Saltheart Foamfollower, Karsa Orlong, Acchilles, Hector, or Maedhros are the underdogs in their settings.  They are arrayed against vast and terrible forces, so it is true that "archmages are tough" in the same sense that "Mongol hordes are tough."  But, many of these beat the snot out of spellcasters, and powerful ones, with alarming regularity. 

[possible spoilers:]  Flagg flees before Roland's guns, the Lords treat with the Haruchai out of fear of their military might, Morgoth is terrified of Maedhros' sword, and the gods tremble before Karsa and Tool. 

Magic, by definition, IS more powerful than the sword. Magic is literally the impossible made possible because the author said so. Sword-wielding is not special or impossible, though certain sword-wielders are special and can do the impossible.
Some of the most prolific and prominent modern writers of fantasy would say that this is poor writing and bad storytelling.  Well-designed fantasy worlds have magic with rules and limits. 

Doing impossible things =/= being more powerful.  That'd be like saying that Jubilee (has a supernatural ability) can automatically beat Batman or Captain America. 

EDIT:  of course all of this is kind of besides the point.  Suppose for a minute I'm completely wrong.  That'd still be bad game design given the way D&D is set up.  Saying "if you do this, you're awesome, but this other class is shit" is just poor design.  And, hiding behind genre emulation is not much of a justification.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 11:18:41 AM by Unbeliever »

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 02:32:57 PM »
@Samwise

Name a single spell that Ecthelion ever casts.  In fact, I'll do you one better, name a single spell cast by any Elf in all of Tolkien that does not bear a Ring of Power.  I wouldn't be shocked if there's one or two that I'm forgetting, but to my recollection the Elves who engage in feats of overt magical power are Galadriel and Elrond.  Both have Rings of Power.

LOTR is not gamefic.
It doesn't have to specify anyone is ever casting any specific spell. (Not to mention it cannot, having been written before D&D was created.)
That doesn't change that Elven characters are routinely described as being "powerful" and similar adjectives in relation to wielding magic.

You're opting to back-port in D&D's sense that Elves = Wizards into Tolkien, but there's little support for it (although Tolkien's world is obviously not class-based).  Ecthelion uses a sword.  Turin uses a sword.  Hell, Gandalf even uses a sword.  Elves tend to be great at crafts, and crafting items we'd call "magical," but there's very very little spellcasting.  And, especially not spellcasting that would be considered "powerful" in a combat sense.  They do things like healing with Kingsfoil.  For Balrogs, they stab.  I'm open to counterexamples, but that's always been my sense of things.

Actually that is you backporting game terminology into the fiction. I am relying on the direct text.
If you want to go that route, do please start listing by name the particular spells any of the "wizards" you name ever cast, starting with Thoth Amon. The closest anyone ever gets to that is Lovecraft and other Mythos authors, but then wizards seem to die with distressing regularity there as well when tricked by various ordinary people.

I'm also not sure why "trickery" is utterly disallowed from the Sword Guy.  So, for this comparison the only abilities that a warrior is ever allowed is "swings sword like a moron?"  If we lobotomize the warriors they are going to have a tough time of it.

Who said it was disallowed?
I was merely contrasting between the direct, apparently named, spellcasting that you insist on, and the direct, apparently no longer literally required, might of arms you were requiring.
As such it is clear that in a straight up fight, spellcasters really do seem to have the edge, to the point that they require an Evil Overlord List to remind them of the common-sense things BDFs and related companions can do to defeat them.

I was trying to make two points.  The above comments speak to point #2, that in literature and myth warriors often don't seem to suck.

I don't recall anyone ever suggesting they did.

Point #1 was that calling upon divine and cosmic power is not the unique province of wizards or clerics.

"Calling on" and "actively wielding" are two quite distinct things.
You insist on literal spells being described but now want to handwave mere invocations for assistance into spellcasting. By that standard, I can declare that Conan, uttering "Crom", or praying to "Mithra" means that he is in fact a "cleric".

There are numerous mythical characters that can call upon the divine.  Diomedes is guy with sword #214 (well, spear, but you get the idea) and he gets divine power.  There are examples too numerous to list.  So, I'm not sure why "magic" is behind some class-based paywall to begin with.

Because we are playing a game and not writing a novel.
And when playing a game, there have to some limits. Bullrog does not get to have the power to have any power he wants. (South Park reference.)

Many fantasy settings are saturated with the supernatural.  It's like denying Elric Stormbringer (yeah, I know E is a spellcaster, too ...).

Yes he is. To the point that without his magic he is incapable of being a grand fighter. Hmmm . . .

Some of the most prolific and prominent modern writers of fantasy would say that this is poor writing and bad storytelling.  Well-designed fantasy worlds have magic with rules and limits.

Prolific and/or prominent =/= good writer or storyteller either.

Yes, well-designed fantasy worlds have magic with rules and limits.
Could those rules and limits include vulnerabilities designed to enable warriors to overcome them with something other than raw might?

Of course it could also be raw Mary Sue-ing, but that would mean those fantasy worlds only have well-designed dei ex machina.
Case in point: Batman and Captain America, with their crypto-supernatural abilities to defeat enemies otherwise declared as unbeatable. (Though of course that could be put down to an excess of hyperbole, purple prose, and redundancy. Also, repetitive story lines.)

[/quote]EDIT:  of course all of this is kind of besides the point.  Suppose for a minute I'm completely wrong.  That'd still be bad game design given the way D&D is set up.  Saying "if you do this, you're awesome, but this other class is shit" is just poor design.  And, hiding behind genre emulation is not much of a justification.[/quote]

That sounds like the same promotional text behind the DCC RPG, with its Lovecraftian spellcasting that ultimately drives anyone foolish enough to use it hopelessly insane, if not directly consumed by a GOO.
It too comes complete with an arrogantly dismissive attitude that it represent what D&D could have been if only Gygax had access to a truly awesome rules system that could properly reflect Appendix N. (The legendary inspirational reading list from the AD&D DMG.)

That reminds me of a "discussion" I had with someone who wanted to play an Appendix N type character in RPGA Organized Play, specifically Living Greyhawk. I noted that pretty much all Appendix N protagonists (heroes, anti-heroes, and middle grounds) were solos with a sprinkling of duos, and that they had a strong tendency to "win" by screwing over anyone and everyone foolish enough to adventure with them.
The response was "So what?", completely ignoring the concept of a shared campaign experience with no PvP.

So indeed, hiding behind genre emulation to declare that D&D/AD&D/D20 model of linear warriors and quadratic wizards "sucks" is a pretty poor justification, particularly when your genre knowledge and favored examples don't seem to be supporting what you want them to support.

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2015, 03:13:38 PM »
@Samwise

LOTR is not gamefic.
It doesn't have to specify anyone is ever casting any specific spell. (Not to mention it cannot, having been written before D&D was created.)
That doesn't change that Elven characters are routinely described as being "powerful" and similar adjectives in relation to wielding magic.
You're asserting, basically that "all of Tolkien's Elves are spellcasters/Wizards."  I find no evidence of that:  some Elves do some magicky things, other Elves stab people. 

I gave you one with a guy using a sword.  Or, in this instance, explicitly killing him with a spiked helmet, which is very very far from anything magical.  There is no mention that he is using or wielding anything other than pokey things.  That is "direct text."  I am not at home and do not have a copy of the Silmarillion at work, but here's the wiki:
Quote from: The Tolkien wiki
Tuor tried to stand in the way of Gothmog, but he was thrown aside. Then Ecthelion, fairest of the Noldor, but whose face now had the pallor of grey steel, dueled him. Losing his sword due to a wound received he was unable to protect himself. Just as Gothmog was about to deliver the finishing blow, Ecthelion jumped and wrapped his legs around the demon, driving the spike of his helmet into Gothmog's body. This caused Gothmog to lose his balance, and he, along with Ecthelion, fell into the Fountain of the King. Gothmog's fire was thus quenched, but Ecthelion also drowned with him and found his death in cool waters, whose lord he was.

Where's the magic?  Encountering or occasionally making use of magic things obviously doesn't make one a spellcaster or magic-user or whatever the genre analogue to D&D's Wizards is supposed to be.  By that logic Samwise Gamgee is a Wizard b/c he's got some magic rope. 

Ecthelion, my example in point, is a warrior-type.  He uses a sword.  There is no mention, to my knowledge, of anything he does that is any way magical.  By way of contrast, Elrond summons waves to crush the Nazghul in Rivendell (Fellowship of the Ring), Galadriel can use her mirror/pool for visions and communicate over vast distances.  As I have already noted, these are the spellcastery elves who also in this instance, have Rings of Power.  Legolas is an also an elf, but I can't recall him doing anything magical at all.  He just seems to have really good eyesight. 

Thoth-Amon is called a sorcerer and wizard in the text, it's on his business cards, and summons demons. 

This distinction seems very straightforward. 

The argument that started this was that as a matter of genre or logic Wizards > Warriors (basically).  I have cited a number of counterexamples indicating that, outside of the D&D paradigm, this isn't a general rule.  Some are from the lingua franca for such discussions (Tolkien) some are more obscure (Donaldson, Erikson). 

Let me try and rephrase my point as follows.  Stepping away from D&D, there are many examples of genre fiction with magic and magic-users where they are not automatically deemed any more powerful than others who do not wield these abilities.  Obviously, magic allows them to do special things others cannot (I have a side point about that, but I'm going to bracket it to avoid distraction), but that doesn't automatically translate into "more powerful" or "more dangerous."

In making this comparisons it's important to keep the characters in mind on roughly the same tier or level.  Comparing an Archmage to a Raw Recruit will skew things immensely.  But, in the examples I've cited above, premiere wizards are terrified of and defeated by premiere warriors all the time.  And, it's not that they're lacking in whatever magical firepower the setting allows, that's why I have focused on premiere or marquee level characters for this comparison.  It's just that it doesn't amount to the convenient, broad, and immense power that D&D spellcasting does. 

Hence, my contention that this is more of an artifact of D&D the game rather than the genre(s) it sets out to roughly emulate and draws inspiration from.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 03:40:19 PM by Unbeliever »

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2015, 07:08:50 PM »
You're asserting, basically that "all of Tolkien's Elves are spellcasters/Wizards."  I find no evidence of that:  some Elves do some magicky things, other Elves stab people. 

I'm not asserting.
Tolkien asserted.
I'm merely reporting.

Doing magicky things and stabbing people are not mutually exclusive.

I gave you one with a guy using a sword.  Or, in this instance, explicitly killing him with a spiked helmet, which is very very far from anything magical.  There is no mention that he is using or wielding anything other than pokey things.  That is "direct text."  I am not at home and do not have a copy of the Silmarillion at work, but here's the wiki:

Is it?
Was his helm not magical?
His armor?
Ecthelion was a Noldor. According to One Wiki To Rule Them All:
"The Ñoldor are accounted the greatest of the Elves in lore and smithcraft."
Ecthelion himself is said to have been the original wielder of Orcrist.
Indeed:
"Likewise Elven and Númenórean swords are not just masterfully created weapons, but they also frequently possess magical powers, such as the sword Sting which glows blue when orcs are nearby."
Further:
"All Elves themselves have greater spiritual powers than humans, as well as being immortal unless through murder or loss of will to live. They possess many gifts that humans would not have: High Elves had the ability to see creatures of shadow. Like the Nazgûl, and they (especially the Noldor) also are considerably more powerful than any other Elf-kind because the light of Valinor is within them."

Where's the magic?

According to that analysis, everywhere. You seem to be the only one denying it.

Encountering or occasionally making use of magic things obviously doesn't make one a spellcaster or magic-user or whatever the genre analogue to D&D's Wizards is supposed to be.  By that logic Samwise Gamgee is a Wizard b/c he's got some magic rope.

No, but making those items makes you . . . well, certainly not an ordinary warrior.

Ecthelion, my example in point, is a warrior-type.  He uses a sword.  There is no mention, to my knowledge, of anything he does that is any way magical.

Ecthelion is clearly a gish-type. He uses a sword, but as a Noldor, he is an inherently magical being, with both innate and culturally acquired magical abilities.

By way of contrast, Elrond summons waves to crush the Nazghul in Rivendell (Fellowship of the Ring), Galadriel can use her mirror/pool for visions and communicate over vast distances.  As I have already noted, these are the spellcastery elves who also in this instance, have Rings of Power.  Legolas is an also an elf, but I can't recall him doing anything magical at all.  He just seems to have really good eyesight.

Really good, practically . . . magical eyesight. 

Thoth-Amon is called a sorcerer and wizard in the text, it's on his business cards, and summons demons.

Right, right.
And the spells he cast are . . .

This distinction seems very straightforward.

Yes it is:
Some characters use magic overtly;
Others have their magic subsumed within their flavor text.

The argument that started this was that as a matter of genre or logic Wizards > Warriors (basically).  I have cited a number of counterexamples indicating that, outside of the D&D paradigm, this isn't a general rule.

Well no, you haven't.
Your primary example is of a clearly quasi-divine character, from an entire race of quasi-divine beings, with a clan predilection for magic, and extra divine enhancement on top of that. That he primarily hacked stuff with a sword since he had all those constant buffs in no way takes him completely out of the realm of being a magical creature.
Your other example presents precisely zero direct examples of the magic use you insist is required to prove actual standing as a wizard.

Some are from the lingua franca for such discussions (Tolkien) some are more obscure (Donaldson, Erikson).

And common or obscure, none manage to sustain your thesis. 

Let me try and rephrase my point as follows.  Stepping away from D&D, there are many examples of genre fiction with magic and magic-users where they are not automatically deemed any more powerful than others who do not wield these abilities.  Obviously, magic allows them to do special things others cannot (I have a side point about that, but I'm going to bracket it to avoid distraction), but that doesn't automatically translate into "more powerful" or "more dangerous."

With Tolkien's elves you are fundamentally wrong. They are very much declared to be inherently more powerful than humans, with elves that are closer to the divine power source being more powerful than the elves who are more distant. Indeed even the humans that are closer to those elves and thus vicariously to that divine power source are innately more powerful than other humans.
For Thoth Amon, he is routinely described with superlatives declaring his superiority over mere mortals, up to and including Conan.

In making this comparisons it's important to keep the characters in mind on roughly the same tier or level.  Comparing an Archmage to a Raw Recruit will skew things immensely.  But, in the examples I've cited above, premiere wizards are terrified of and defeated by premiere warriors all the time.  And, it's not that they're lacking in whatever magical firepower the setting allows, that's why I have focused on premiere or marquee level characters for this comparison.  It's just that it doesn't amount to the convenient, broad, and immense power that D&D spellcasting does.

That's nice, but fundamentally a straw man, sidestepping how characters of similar "level" are routinely compared.

More seriously, you not only miss the point you denigrated when stanprollyright brought it up, you show a complete and utter lack of appreciation for its relevance.
Conan defeating the "undefeatable" Thoth Amon is utterly awesome.
Conan punking the wussy apprentice is . . . utterly irrelevant.
Mind you, the same applies within archetype:
Conan overcoming the "unstoppable" warrior is utterly awesome.
Conan smacking around the horde of spear-fodder is . . . well, slightly relevant framing text, but not otherwise impressive.

Hence, my contention that this is more of an artifact of D&D the game rather than the genre(s) it sets out to roughly emulate and draws inspiration from.

Hence my rebuttal that you are completely misreading the source and overall missing the point within the genre.

Offline stanprollyright

• The Looks
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2015, 11:11:03 PM »
You're right that stories where "guy with sword" beats magic users are very prevalent. Why? Because they're underdog stories. It's one of the oldest and most well-loved archetypes in the world, across all cultures.  Within the continuity of their own stories, those guys are the (respective) exceptions that prove the rule. They are the one special hero within each setting who dares to fight cosmic power and succeeds where hosts of others have failed. The stories wouldn't be interesting otherwise. If the odds aren't stacked against the hero, he's not a hero.
Shoddy argument is shoddy.  I listed a number of examples.  You don't get to discount them all just by mislabeling them as "underdog" stories.  There's always a sense of dramatic tension in stories so you want the hero to face deep challenges.  But, these are not all, or indeed even mostly, examples of where a warrior is by virtue of being a warrior an underdog.  That is what your argument relies on, the sense that magic is a special force multiplier.

Why not? A warrior (one of the most powerful warriors in the setting) facing an equivalently powerful mage (one of the most powerful magical beings in the setting) is at an inherent disadvantage and must use trickery, cleverness, luck, and plot armor to defeat his magical nemeses.  That's what makes him a hero. He's a relatively normal (read: identifiable) character who says "screw the odds" and manages to miraculously come out on top. It's the oldest trope in existence. It applies to virtually every hero ever.

And mages running from warriors sometimes isn't a good refutation. Even in D&D: if you're playing a Wizard and a big strong enemy is charging you, what do you do? You cast Dimension Door or Invisibility or other escape spell, or put up battlefield control between you and the guy attacking you. You certainly don't pull out your weapon and mix it up in melee unless you have a death wish.

The issue with D&D's magic isn't its power, it's the versatility of its casters. A wizard can cast ANY MAGICAL EFFECT THAT HAS EVER BEEN IN A FANTASY. This is both a strength and weakness of the game; it's great to have all those options, but terrible for balance to have them all at the same time.
Goats are like mushrooms
If you shoot a duck I'm scared of toasters

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2015, 11:41:46 AM »
@Samwise
Your argument relies on a very particular definition of "ordinary warrior," which you have not defined in any real way.  Any hint of magical ability, such as using a magical item or seeing in the dark renders one a "mage" by this definition.  This, however, in no way conforms to the way the term is used generally, on these forums and ones like it, and in the context of this conversation.  Merlin is a magic-user, Frodo is not. 

As illustrated below, by your logic Hercules, Acchilles and King Arthur are all mages, gishes, etc.  =><=. 

"All Elves themselves have greater spiritual powers than humans, as well as being immortal unless through murder or loss of will to live. They possess many gifts that humans would not have: High Elves had the ability to see creatures of shadow. Like the Nazgûl, and they (especially the Noldor) also are considerably more powerful than any other Elf-kind because the light of Valinor is within them."
Ecthelion is clearly a gish-type. He uses a sword, but as a Noldor, he is an inherently magical being, with both innate and culturally acquired magical abilities.
Hercules and Achilles both have divine parentages.  More intimate than the above Tolkien character, I believe.  Therefore, by this logic, they are gishes, etc.  They share essentially all the qualities of the Elves listed above due to their divine nature.  Indeed, this definition is capacious.  As noted by Samwise, Aragorn is also a "mage" (he has Numenorean parentage). 

Ecthelion himself is said to have been the original wielder of Orcrist.
Indeed:
"Likewise Elven and Númenórean swords are not just masterfully created weapons, but they also frequently possess magical powers, such as the sword Sting which glows blue when orcs are nearby."
King Arthur has what is probably the most famous magical sword in history.  By this argument, he is also a gish, magic-user, etc.  That is, something other than a warrior.  Indeed, even Frodo and Sam are excluded from the ranks of "ordinary warriors." 

If Hercules, Achilles, and Arthur don't count as "warriors" then the set of fantasy and mythological and so on warriors is very small indeed.  These are iconic warriors of fantasy and myth.  If they don't count as something like fantasy warriors, then nothing does. 

Right, right.
And the spells he cast are . . .
I fail to see how demon summoning is not a spell.  There may be some technical usage that you are trying to drive at here, but if so, spell it out. 

Some are from the lingua franca for such discussions (Tolkien) some are more obscure (Donaldson, Erikson).

And common or obscure, none manage to sustain your thesis. 
Well, you addressed a single one of them and I listed a half dozen.  But, whatever. 

P.S.:  I don't mind sharp-edged, incisive arguments.  And, I only mildly mind being proven wrong.  But, I try to keep some modicum of civility.  If you aren't up for doing the same, then I won't bother engaging with you further.

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2015, 12:00:51 PM »
Why not? A warrior (one of the most powerful warriors in the setting) facing an equivalently powerful mage (one of the most powerful magical beings in the setting) is at an inherent disadvantage and must use trickery, cleverness, luck, and plot armor to defeat his magical nemeses. 
My problem with this argument is that you've assumed your conclusion.  You've assumed that the warrior is at an "inherent disadvantage" by virtue of wizard v. warrior.  This is the very thing we're debating. 

That's what makes him a hero. He's a relatively normal (read: identifiable) character who says "screw the odds" and manages to miraculously come out on top. It's the oldest trope in existence. It applies to virtually every hero ever.
The heart of my argument is that not every Level 10 Warrior-type in literature who goes up against a Level 10 Wizard-type is the underdog.  Sometimes the Wizard is the underdog.  That's what the examples indicate.  My contention is that in the literature that the game uses as a jumping off point the Wizard is not necessarily more powerful than Warrior, holding rough levels of power constant. 

And mages running from warriors sometimes isn't a good refutation. Even in D&D: if you're playing a Wizard and a big strong enemy is charging you, what do you do? You cast Dimension Door or Invisibility or other escape spell, or put up battlefield control between you and the guy attacking you. You certainly don't pull out your weapon and mix it up in melee unless you have a death wish.
Who said anything about melee?   What I said was  "and if Ben ever got wind that Tool wanted him dead, he'd try and put the nearest continent between the two of them."  And, I feel like the point is clear both in that quote alone and definitely in the context as a whole.  In that setting, Quick Ben (premiere archmage) would be easily killed by Onos Tool'an, and Quick Ben has access to all the battlefield control, invisibility, and dimension dooring type effects available in that setting (more than the usual mage, he's like a multi-specialist which is ... hard to pull off in universe). 

Yet, he would be rightly terrified of Tool or other premiere warrior-types in that setting.  And, Quick Ben is one of the most powerful magic-users in the setting, and almost assuredly the most flexible.  It's an example of a setting where guys with swords are not necessarily deemed weaker than guys who cast spells. 

There are examples where Wizards are the "I win" button, Sword of Truth comes to mind, and probably Wheel of Time (I'll defer to somebody who knows that setting better).  But, Erikson's books are a modern example where it's not the case. 

That's all I've been arguing so far, and frankly I'm surprised this is really a contentious issue.  D&D has a particular "brand" of magic, which amounts to "it can do everything."  Magic in fantasy literature and myth is often much more circumscribed, meaning that it does not automatically make mages the masters of the universe.

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2015, 01:40:37 PM »
@Samwise
Your argument relies on a very particular definition of "ordinary warrior," which you have not defined in any real way.  Any hint of magical ability, such as using a magical item or seeing in the dark renders one a "mage" by this definition.  This, however, in no way conforms to the way the term is used generally, on these forums and ones like it, and in the context of this conversation.  Merlin is a magic-user, Frodo is not.

You mean the one that is part of the rules where "ordinary" warriors don't get any spellcasting ability?
Ummm . . . yeah. 
You are the one who wants to keep parsing definitions to make half-deities and flavor-texted spellcasters into completely mundane Conan types.

As illustrated below, by your logic Hercules, Acchilles and King Arthur are all mages, gishes, etc.  =><=. 

Hercules and Achilles are both half-divine, with Achilles getting extra immunity bonuses. Very few "ordinary warriors" are physically incapable of dying from the most lethal poison in existence or simply immune to any injury beyond a hand-sized spot on their foot.

King Arthur is indeed an "ordinary warrior", though I don't particularly recall any of his grand battles against supreme wizards. In fact, I seem to recall he died simply from being outnumbered. How great a warrior does that make him exactly?

Hercules and Achilles both have divine parentages.  More intimate than the above Tolkien character, I believe.  Therefore, by this logic, they are gishes, etc.  They share essentially all the qualities of the Elves listed above due to their divine nature.

Tell you what, break out the rules and apply the half-celestial and G- Blooded templates to a warrior build and then compare them to the same warrior without those templates.
Kinda, sorta, changes things, doesn't it?
It doesn't have to make them a gish to stop them from being an "ordinary" warrior.

Indeed, this definition is capacious.  As noted by Samwise, Aragorn is also a "mage" (he has Numenorean parentage).

You mean Aragorn with the whole "the hands of a king are the hands of a healer" who can use athelas to heal wraith-breath?
Certainly Eomer was able to heal Théoden using the exact same inherent ordinary warrior ability. Oh wait, he wasn't.
Mage?
No.
Cleric?
Not exactly.
Spellcasting Ranger or similar partial caster class and/or template or special race above and beyond ordinary warrior?
Absolutely.

King Arthur has what is probably the most famous magical sword in history.  By this argument, he is also a gish, magic-user, etc.  That is, something other than a warrior.  Indeed, even Frodo and Sam are excluded from the ranks of "ordinary warriors."

Yes he does. With the sword that he forged for himself with no magical abilities at all.
No wait, it was given to him by the Lady of the Lake, who of course was a mere ordinary warrior.
I guess not.
(Well, unless you use the version where it was forged by Wayland the Smith, who . . . is an alfar - an elf, and thus magical and spellcasting.)

If Hercules, Achilles, and Arthur don't count as "warriors" then the set of fantasy and mythological and so on warriors is very small indeed.  These are iconic warriors of fantasy and myth.  If they don't count as something like fantasy warriors, then nothing does.

Hercules and Achilles count as demi-deities, as you acknowledge. They act as warriors, but they are so far beyond the concept within the limits of the game as to be distinctly different.

Arthur is a warrior, albeit a heavily fated one, but with equipment well above his WBL guidelines. To paraphrase Clark's Law, "Any sufficiently advanced WBL equipment is indistinguishable from magic - mostly because it is."
I'm sure if you give me "enough" magic items I can have a 1st level "ordinary" (NPC class even) warrior defeat an epic level CoDzilla. That in no way proves that the warrior was the equal of the wizard, only that his equipment was.

I fail to see how demon summoning is not a spell.  There may be some technical usage that you are trying to drive at here, but if so, spell it out.

Was it a spell or a ritual? (More rules parsing!)
Or maybe he just used a device, making him no more than Arthur using a magic sword. In fact, I distinctly recall Thoth Amon relying on a magic ring, looking for a magic crown, and questing for a magic book. (Or were those other Conan wizards in non-REH stories? I can never keep them all straight.) Hmm . . .

Well, you addressed a single one of them and I listed a half dozen.  But, whatever.

I haven't read all of them.
Would you like me to break out a dozen references you are unfamiliar with and hold them over you as proof when you cannot reasonably address them?
How about I start with Eddison's The Worm Ourobouros and the magically inclined warrior Demon Lords?
Or I could get modern and go with Correia's Monster Hunters, where the warrior Pitt is both fated and afflicted with extra-planar infusions and has help from warrior friends who actually do get to call on divine intervention and get it and are specifically recognized as distinct because of their faith.

My problem with this argument is that you've assumed your conclusion.  You've assumed that the warrior is at an "inherent disadvantage" by virtue of wizard v. warrior.  This is the very thing we're debating.

As opposed to you wanting to assert the conclusion that the warrior is not an inherent disadvantage before even debating?
And is he assuming, or reaching a conclusion having considered the available evidence?

The heart of my argument is that not every Level 10 Warrior-type in literature who goes up against a Level 10 Wizard-type is the underdog.  Sometimes the Wizard is the underdog.  That's what the examples indicate.  My contention is that in the literature that the game uses as a jumping off point the Wizard is not necessarily more powerful than Warrior, holding rough levels of power constant.

What examples in what literature that the game uses as a jumping off point?
I've shown that your presentations of Hercules and Achilles are totally invalid based on their being beyond human, that Arthur is invalid because he never fought a wizard, that Aragorn does in fact cast spells as you acknowledge, that Elric is only a warrior because he casts spells, and that Ecthelion is also beyond human. (Did I miss any there?)

But, Erikson's books are a modern example where it's not the case.

They also aren't literature that the game uses as a jumping off point, having been written almost 20 years after the game was created.
By the way, that could be why I don't recognize all the authors you name, as most of my genre reading is of pre-1990s work. (And probably pre-1970s, but I haven't surveyed it for such.)

Perhaps post-modern literature doesn't like warriors always being second-rate, but the classical myth and fantasy that Gygax relied on had an exceptionally strong bias toward the raw might of spellcasters over ordinary warriors in a straight up fight.

P.S.:  I don't mind sharp-edged, incisive arguments.  And, I only mildly mind being proven wrong.  But, I try to keep some modicum of civility.  If you aren't up for doing the same, then I won't bother engaging with you further.

Tell you what - you stop with the "poor game design" and "poor writing and lousy storytelling" stuff and I won't have to question your genre expertise.

Offline stanprollyright

• The Looks
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2015, 12:10:22 AM »
That's what makes him a hero. He's a relatively normal (read: identifiable) character who says "screw the odds" and manages to miraculously come out on top. It's the oldest trope in existence. It applies to virtually every hero ever.

At low levels, where most play takes place, where the numbers are most realistic, warriors absolutely murder mages. Around 5-10, they are roughly equivalent, where casters have to "nova" to noticeably surpass their mundane brethren. The balance issues only come into play around 10th level and above. Very few games get much further than that. And in any given setting magic will be more limited (but not necessarily less powerful) than presented in D&D. That's what I've been saying the issue is: casters aren't too powerful, they're too versatile. D&D contains almost every magical effect that exists in any fantasy setting, which is good. What's not good is that one character can do it all without sacrificing any power whatsoever.

Who said anything about melee?   What I said was  "and if Ben ever got wind that Tool wanted him dead, he'd try and put the nearest continent between the two of them."  And, I feel like the point is clear both in that quote alone and definitely in the context as a whole.  In that setting, Quick Ben (premiere archmage) would be easily killed by Onos Tool'an, and Quick Ben has access to all the battlefield control, invisibility, and dimension dooring type effects available in that setting (more than the usual mage, he's like a multi-specialist which is ... hard to pull off in universe). 

Yet, he would be rightly terrified of Tool or other premiere warrior-types in that setting.  And, Quick Ben is one of the most powerful magic-users in the setting, and almost assuredly the most flexible.  It's an example of a setting where guys with swords are not necessarily deemed weaker than guys who cast spells. 

There are examples where Wizards are the "I win" button, Sword of Truth comes to mind, and probably Wheel of Time (I'll defer to somebody who knows that setting better).  But, Erikson's books are a modern example where it's not the case. 

That's all I've been arguing so far, and frankly I'm surprised this is really a contentious issue.  D&D has a particular "brand" of magic, which amounts to "it can do everything."  Magic in fantasy literature and myth is often much more circumscribed, meaning that it does not automatically make mages the masters of the universe.

I'm not familiar with Erikson's books. You can argue specifics with Samwise, I'm intentionally trying to generalize. You can find counterexamples on both sides, just like certain caster builds will be no match for certain warrior builds. I'm talking about the logical notion that Invisibility trumps regular stealth, Teleportation trumps moving fast, Jedi Mind Tricks trump ordinary persuasion, and killing with a word from a distance or summoning an army of minions is tactically superior to attacking with a sword.  D&D's "brand" of magic is "no brand at all" because they want you to be able to emulate any magical effect you've read about. Again, it's just way too easy to do all of it at once.
Goats are like mushrooms

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2015, 12:26:08 AM »
That's what I've been saying the issue is: casters aren't too powerful, they're too versatile. D&D contains almost every magical effect that exists in any fantasy setting, which is good. What's not good is that one character can do it all without sacrificing any power whatsoever.

Exactly.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2015, 01:56:57 AM »
I'm talking about the logical notion that Invisibility trumps regular stealth, Teleportation trumps moving fast, Jedi Mind Tricks trump ordinary persuasion, and killing with a word from a distance or summoning an army of minions is tactically superior to attacking with a sword. 
And, this is what I've been disputing.  My assertion is that this is by no means necessarily true.  That it is either (a) a product of a specific setting, or (b) a product of a specific game.  Hence my consistent use of the term "artifact."  Imagine a setting where invisibility required complete concentration and was very easily disrupted (e.g., Stephen King's works).  In that instance it is not obviously superior to being skilled at stealth.  Alternatively, imagine a game system where a power like invisibility works really well, say analogous to D&D's Greater/Improved Invisibility.  But, it requires an extensive amount of power points to run (e.g, Savage Worlds).  Again, not obviously better than a good Stealth check.

Killing with a word from a distance sounds really good, but it's very system-specific.  That might be cashed out exactly in terms of Power Word, Kill, a spell that is notoriously weak.  If sword-swinging looks like a well-built Ubercharger and magic killing looks like Power Word, Kill, then the sword looks a lot more effective.  Or, at the very least has an important niche in the form of powerful foes. 

Diplomancy is, mechanically, far superior to the magical option of Charm Person/Monster. 

There's no logical or necessary relationship here.  There are both settings and systems where the magical or spellcasting option is relatively weak and limited.  Once you step away from D&D's "spellcasting does everything, and well, weee!" paradigm, it's not necessarily true that spellcasters are automatically superior at whatever they set their will to than non-spellcasters.  As I may have mentioned before, this strikes me as an almost banal point.

The quirks and issues with D&D's magic system, in particular how unbounded it is (i.e., D&D spellcasters can pretty much do anything) are well-known.  But, not all magic is D&D magic.  This is true both conceptually and mechanically. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 01:59:29 AM by Unbeliever »

Offline stanprollyright

• The Looks
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2015, 04:00:39 AM »
Regardless of how difficult it is, it's still superior to be able to stand invisibly in front of someone than it is to sneak around them. And these spells don't work in a vacuum either; every character has a stealth modifier whether they put ranks in it or not, which is used in conjunction with invisibility.

Power Word, Kill does suck. And blasting isn't great in D&D. That said, it's still tactically superior to do damage from a distance, often to several targets at once, compared to charging one target at a time and exposing yourself to damage.

Charms are harder to succeed at than Diplomacy, true. But you can go much further with a Charm/Dominate spell than you can with diplomacy.  Assuming success, the target of your charm is now your bitch - you've stolen their free will. Diplomacy can never do that.  In game, with poorly characterized NPCs off the street, the effect is often the same, but there are still limits.

D&D is very high magic. No one is disputing that. But in a game where Rule 0 is explicit, that's not bad game design; it's easier to make a low-magic setting out of a high-magic game than the other way around. Nerfs and bans are better than creating spells and magic powers from scratch. It's also easy to buff martial characters for the sake of balance by handing out enchanted weapons and armor, while maybe scrolls above a certain spell level aren't available in any shops, and metamagic rods and wilding clasps don't seem to exist. Several games that I've played have banned long-range teleportation because the journey is a plot device, and many DMs hate scrying and divination because they don't want you asking what's around the next corner.  But those powers are really important in some games. From a game designer's perspective it's better that they exist to be potentially banned than leaving them out for someone to homebrew. It's like my acting teachers always said, "If I'm asking you to tone it down, you're doing it right."
Goats are like mushrooms

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2015, 03:22:18 PM »
But those powers are really important in some games. From a game designer's perspective it's better that they exist to be potentially banned than leaving them out for someone to homebrew. It's like my acting teachers always said, "If I'm asking you to tone it down, you're doing it right."

Not merely from a game designer's perspective, but from aesthetic, genre, and pretty much linguistic perspectives.

It is called "magic".
It is not called "double plus good mundaneness".
To reduce magic to something maybe, kinda, sorta, possibly, almost as good as ordinary skills and combat is to destroy the very meaning of the word "magic", particularly in context.

Do that, and you are no longer in a fantasy genre, but any of the various mundane genres - noir, western, adventure, and all their sub-genres and tropes, but not fantasy.

And when you try and design that, you wind up with the "4E" aesthetic, where flavor text is endlessly subjective and functionally irrelevant. Other than a dictionary's worth of variable terminology, there is no effective difference between anything, and it is time to break out the quotes from "The Incredibles":

Helen: Everyone's special, Dash.
Dash: [muttering] Which is another way of saying no one is.

Syndrome: Oh, I'm real. Real enough to defeat you! And I did it without your precious gifts, your oh-so-special powers. I'll give them heroics. I'll give them the most spectacular heroics the world has ever seen! And when I'm old and I've had my fun, I'll sell my inventions so that *everyone* can have powers. *Everyone* can be super! And when everyone's super...
[chuckles evilly]
Syndrome: *no one* will be.

Which, dragging this back to more directly address the topic, is a factor in why "4E" was so unpopular, and why the D20 variants remain more popular than the new system - which lets you make a character that is more "special"?

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2015, 04:24:51 PM »
Joan of Arc ... of course is a historical inspiration for the game.

Army 1 seige, on Army 2 in city and losing.
Army 2 + JoA = breaks the seige, goes on massive winning streak against Army 1.

I doubt any precision about battle deaths at that time depth.
This guy is a quite good collector of sources ---> http://necrometrics.com/pre1700a.htm#100yrs
JoA might be responsible for 10 000 battle deaths.
Might be, such as it is.
Throw in a posthumous tasty award (meh).

Divine Bard perhaps ... might qualify as around DvR 2+ power levels.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline fearsomepirate

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2015, 10:57:38 PM »
It's hard to find data, but Amazon rankings suggest that 5e more popular than Pathfinder. Now of course, PF is six years old, while 5e has been out barely a year, so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison. New products always sell best at launch. However, the best rank the PF core rules achieved was 606, while the D&D Player's Handbook launched at #1. Also, D&D is outranking Pathfinder on Google (note that Pathfinder aliases with a Nissan vehicle).

https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=%2Fm%2F04dzk1_%2C%20%2Fm%2F026q9&cmpt=q&tz=Etc%2FGMT%2B5

My guess is the reason Pathfinder seems wildly more popular is that its fan base is a lot more vocal online. PF whole selling point was that it's a replacement for people who were passionate about the d20 system and angered by the direction Wizards took with 4e. By definition, those people are going to be especially vocal online.

As for the Wizard vs Warrior debate, it's a game. If a class in a game is not fun to play, the class is a design failure. If a major portion of the game is avoided by most players because it's not fun for them, that's a design failure. There are plenty of games (both TTRPG and CRPG) where both wizards and warriors are fun to play, and the game is fun from the first level to the last. There's no reason D&D can't be one of them.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2015, 05:56:26 PM »
Ahh I remember something like that link,
shortly after Tome Of Battle was released.

ToB is the 3rd bump-up on that chart.
4e is the 4th, and Essentials is the 5th.
Odd that 5e doesn't nudge the searches.

:eh :tongue ... Perhaps the ultra-grogs haven't discovered google quite yet.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Nifft

• Bad At Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2015, 12:34:20 PM »
My guess is the reason Pathfinder seems wildly more popular is that its fan base is a lot more vocal online. PF whole selling point was that it's a replacement for people who were passionate about the d20 system and angered by the direction Wizards took with 4e. By definition, those people are going to be especially vocal online.
Heh.

Back when Pathfinder kicked off, I noted that their plan was basically to cater to people who were both easily and vocally offended.

I'm honestly impressed that they're doing as well as they are. They chose to play to a difficult crowd, and they're succeeding in spite of that.

:eh :tongue ... Perhaps the ultra-grogs haven't discovered google quite yet.
Are you saying they're a bunch of yahoos?