Author Topic: Chapter 5: A Hermit's Most Dolorous Recounting, or: I Wish I Was In Chancel  (Read 36526 times)

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
The nymph narrows her eyes to slits as she keeps getting pestered, as the sky above her darkens.

"I've already told you the terms for getting my little doe relieved. Do the deed that else would be the responsibility of her hips, be together on your merry way again.
In the meantime, I'll see to get her fixed."

The trees and underbrush in the glade rustles as the wind picks up, quickly becoming a stiff whirlwind gale carrying leaves and other small debris. Nadja shivers and tries to hold on her flimsy dress of leaves as good as she can.

"P-p-please mistress, it's my fault for bringing them along. Don't take it out on them. If their requests displease you, take it out on me."

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Niko grabs Hank and starts physically dragging him off after Mist.

"Our apologies great lady.  We will do as we agreed.  Please ignore this silly man."

As he forcefully removes Hank he hisses, "If you say anything else about trying to take Nadja away she will probably kill us all.  Nadja is hers forever."

(click to show/hide)

Offline dman

• View Profile
Hank accepts the free ride but ignores Niko's comments as he calls out.

"I admire your bravery, Nadja!  Remember, perfect love casts out fear!  And thank you for your indulgence, Lady!  Know that the Father is eager to embrace even his wildest prodigal daughters should they choose to come back to the Light!  We will return soon!"

He smiles and waves encouragingly as Niko drags him away.

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
You don't spare any reserves as you press on. At Matins (2 a.m. in the morning), you arrive at the outskirts of the forest facing Butjinar, seeing for the first time from relatively close up.

There is the very camp itself, surrounded by circular wooden palisades. Eight guard towers complete the defenses.

There are two gates facing the trail, each guarded by two White Guards.

Apart from the towers and gates, there is only some light. More people than usual are awake and ready for battle, possibly in reaction to the sighting of a redheaded witch, but if you can surprise them you still won't have to meet the camp at full strength immediately.

No more birds are patrolling the area. Being daytime predators, this is hardly surprising.

Three White Guard patrols, each 2 men strong, patrol the part north of the camp. Whenever they meet, they stop briefly and exchange words - possibly a pass phrase, although you'd need to get closer or use similar means to make them out.

A single nightwatchman, armed with a longspear and a lantern, patrols the farmer hovels surrounding the camp, regularly calling out the current hour:

"Listen, people, let it be spoken
bell has rung for 2 o' clock!
Two ways Man has to choose among,
Saints, on the right one keep me on!"

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
After looking at the patrols for a minute, Yuki volunteers to take Mist and get a closer look.

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Under the cover of magical darkness, Yuki and Mist make it easily past the patrols and the nightwatchman. Neither seems particularly effective - they seem to be around more to scare off amateurs and warn about really blatant attempts to attack the camp, not to be a threat to sneaky small groups such as you two.

For the first time, you see the camp from up close. The walls are 10' tall, the towers 20'. To the north and south each there is a gate, guarded by two guards standing in front of it similar to the patrols you have just dodged. The towers each seem to be manned by another two guards.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Yuki and Mist spread out, inspecting the lumber storage and the prisoner pen, respectively.

Yuki find the prisoner pen a bit better secured, with a crude lock to its gate. The two guards in front of the pen don't look very attentive.
The prisoners - about 30 of them - are mostly male, dirty, badly dressed and at bad health.

In the far south-western corner, Yuki spots a long-haired redhead. Upon closer inspection, it turns out to be a woman she has already met - Katya, one of the redhead sisters at the mansion. She is still farily clean, which points at her not having been at the camp for a long time yet. Her dress at her right shoulder has been ripped and is slightly blood-stained.
She is asleep, tightly curled up with her hands around her knees and her back to the wall.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 03:30:43 PM by Skyrock »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Yuki makes an attempt to disable the lock quietly.

At least part of that was true in the objective sense

(click to show/hide)

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
The locks gives easily and quietly. The guards still look around bored, none the wiser, and the prisoners keep sleeping.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Mist tries to walk quietly but she is not as practiced as her friend.

(click to show/hide)

- - - - - - -

After reaching her destination, he opens the door and looks inside..
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 06:22:16 PM by skydragonknight »
Hmm.

Offline dman

• View Profile
"You thought I was in real danger from that petulant Faerie Queen..."  Hank's smile fades to a pained sigh.  "I suppose I was.  I have to stand up to bullies like that, Niko, so that people don't bow down to the terror they cause - for their sake, for Nadja's sake, for her sake even...  I have to believe she can see past her bitterness and degradation to how how far she's fallen and to the hope she has for redemption.  It is a shame to see that such a beautiful creature has become so depraved.  False gods posture.  Real gods bleed..." Hank takes a deep breath. "Anyway...  thanks for pulling me out of there.  I appreciate that you care."

He stretches.
"Now I think it's a about time to set the captives free."

Hank crouches and motions in the dirt.

"I was thinking I would approach from the other side and avoid the patrols.  If you want to come along you could open the doors, and I would declare the judgement of the Lord.  As long as we don't take any aggressive action there's a good chance they'll listen for a while and consider their response.  We can talk until we get closer, and then I'll switch to inspire awe in case we get spotted."

Shall we?

Hank makes ready to sneak up to the camp.

(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 06:40:58 PM by dman »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Niko tries very hard to keep himself from rolling his eyes.  "She is a fey, they do not think like people do.  And yes, you were in danger.  You think we can fight one such as her in her very house and win?  Fey do not care about your standards or redemption, otherwise I wouldn't have so much experience being paid to hunt them.  Most humans do not care either when it comes down to it.  You expect these people to listen?  I bet you a piece gold that they will not.  I will come with you to make sure they do not kill you for your idealistic ways, just do not expect me to be good at sneaking."

He motions Peri to be quiet knowing that it won't actually help anything but might make Hank feel better.

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Mist finds the lumber storage easy to access, being secured with a simple bar. A crude shingle roof keeps the rain off, and also provides cover against onlookers from above.
Ocassionally a guard from the two adjacent towers takes a cursory look at the storage unit, but as long as you stay quiet, Mist should be safe. Fire and smoke would be noticed, though, once the fire gets going.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Mist finds lumber near the middle, and strikes their flint to ignite it. Once the flame is active, they move towards the door and cast Web in the hopes that the fire will spread faster.

Closing the door behind them, they stop for a brief moment to ponder their next move.
Hmm.

Offline dman

• View Profile
(click to show/hide)

"Ha Ha! Thanks, Niko.  You are something of a hulk aren't you!" Hank laughs.  "I value your expertise, your bravery, and your patience with the fact that my own perspective is rare.  I don't mean to contradict you, but I suspect the fey care all too much about the affairs of men, namely that the Almighty has entrusted this world to mortals who have failed it.  I suspect it is their rage against Him and resentment at the corruption fallen mortals perpetuate that drives their fierce desire to reduce men to beasts - a sort of mockery of divine discipline.  Lost children trying to beat the other children into recreated the world in their own image...  You may be right that they won't listen, but I have seen the Light, and He is . . . foundational . . . ultimate . . . even . . . friend."  Hank's eyes begin to tear up.  "You see I can't not proclaim His glory whether in obedience or resistance to Him . . .  If they want to they can choose to come back the source.  I have to hope that they can change or else . . ."  Hank's jaw hardens as his whisper trails off.

They walk on in silence for a while.

Then Hank begins humming and his voice creeps out low across the plain -  building in power as they approach the fort.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Mist walks back slowly to their entrance point, keeping the same distance from the guards. The first two minutes of invisibility used, they can work together for the next step.
Hmm.

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
As Mist passes the commander's building, she (and Yuki) hear a commotion from the guards in front of it.

"I think I heard something. Stay here, I will have a look."

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Mist finds the nearest building and climbs up the side.
Hmm.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Yuki, on the other hand, just stays where she is.

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Mist scales the commander's house, only to step on a noisy shingle.

"Somewhere up there. ALERT!"

The two guards - the one in front and the one checking out the back - get ready to alert the camp.