Author Topic: Iron Siege Q&A  (Read 37519 times)

Offline Shadowmind

• There is no text here.
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Siege Q&A
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2011, 05:53:05 PM »
I'm pretty much asking for limits to be put on the Illithid Savant prestige class. It we go purely by RAW then Illithid Savant's can gain the abilities from another Illithid Savant to create arbitrary long loop(this should be disallowed of course under the endless loop clause). Or they could gain Soul binding 80, and be able to bind 15 Vestiges(only non-epic unless feats are used to unlock epic ones),  get a Wild surge +16 of a 60th lvl Wilder without the Psychic Enervation problem. The Illithid Savant PrC is very strong, and I want to use it. But, I don't want to start making a character until the limits have been set.

Offline TravelLog

• Honorary Mod
  • Gunslinger, Descendent of Eld
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2011, 01:46:33 AM »
That's a big question, since Illithid Savant covers pretty much everything. Let me think and talk it over with Tshern then get back to you.
Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Tshern

• The Clown Prince of Crime
  • DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2011, 07:03:41 AM »
I am actually curious to see the Illithid Savant ruling.
Pian unohtuu aika ja tila
Ja nahkapeitto ja syyllisyys
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline TravelLog

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2011, 12:28:44 AM »
Okay. I think I've come up with a workable ruling. Tshern, feel free to comment.

1. You may consume a number of "points" worth of class features equal to: Your Final HD (70) minus your ECL at the time you gained the ability to consume class features.
2. You may not consume Spellcasting, Manifesting, Initiating, Soul Binding, Invoking, Essential Binding, or any like class feature. You may also not consume Wild Shaping.
3. Each class feature is worth a number of points equal to the class level it is gained at, except PrC class features, which are worth an additional 10 points above normal. (i.e. a level 1 base class feature costs 1 point, a level 1 PrC class feature costs 11).

Thus, if you gained the ability to consume class features at level 15, you would have 55 "points" worth of class features to choose among.

Thoughts? My other idea was to allow Spellcasting etc. but each level of casting/manifesting/etc. would cost two or more points. So it might cost 4 points to get 2nd level spells, etc.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 12:35:08 AM by TravelLog »
Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Shadowmind

• There is no text here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2012, 04:41:09 PM »
Been busy with moving/holidays.
I'm not a fan of the point-system you made.

With this point system on acquire class feature, are you still limited to the number of class features you would gain or is the only limit the point system.
Why is wild-shaping added to the spell-casting like abilities.
With your other idea would 9th level casting cost 17+(9*2)[35] points for a base class or 10+9+(9*2)[37] for Ur-priest.

It the Dice-freaks Monster of Legend allowed?
http://dicefreaks.superforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2273. I think Tshern ruled it to be like a +7 LA but ask him since my memory is fuzzy on the issue.

Offline TravelLog

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2012, 06:03:04 PM »
After talking with Tshern a couple weeks ago, I've decided Illithid Svant is out as per his original ruling. You can do what you want to without needing it, and it just makes things difficult and more complicated.

As for MoL, I'll ask Tshern and get back to you.
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2012, 12:24:32 PM »
I think I did allow it at some LA at some point. Must admit, I have no idea what the template was like and I am feeling lazy right now.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline TravelLog

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2012, 01:07:07 PM »
Energy Drain (Su): One of the monster of legend’s natural attacks (claws, talons, slam, bite, sting, ect.) inflicts 1 negative level for every 10HD the monster of legend possesses (minimum 1). The save DC to remove these negative levels in Constitution-based.

Change this to read "the DC to negate or remove these levels is constitution based." Other than that, I'm still figuring LA.
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Shadowmind

• There is no text here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2012, 03:02:59 PM »
After talking with Tshern a couple weeks ago, I've decided Illithid Svant is out as per his original ruling. You can do what you want to without needing it, and it just makes things difficult and more complicated.

What original ruling? Illithid Savant has been allowed for years with no complaints that I've found searching thought the BG and Wotc threads. And when where you going to tell us the you've banned it, instead of making us think it was allowed for weeks where we could of wasted a lot of time making a character. You've been banning several things that have been available to other challenegers yet there was been no success with them allowed but not now you are basically adding more restrictions reducing what was already a extremely limited chance of success when less.
You can do what you want to without needing it,....
And, this statement is objectively false.

Offline TravelLog

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2012, 07:34:08 PM »

What original ruling? Illithid Savant has been allowed for years with no complaints that I've found searching thought the BG and Wotc threads. And when where you going to tell us the you've banned it, instead of making us think it was allowed for weeks where we could of wasted a lot of time making a character. You've been banning several things that have been available to other challenegers yet there was been no success with them allowed but not now you are basically adding more restrictions reducing what was already a extremely limited chance of success when less.
You can do what you want to without needing it,....

I had been given the impression it was banned. If that isn't the case, my apologies. Continue on with your build then.

(Though I mildly disagree with your last statement)
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Shadowmind

• There is no text here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2012, 09:07:05 PM »
So is your point system in effect or as normal?
College is starting up so posting will be infrequent for the next week or so.

Offline TravelLog

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2012, 10:32:56 PM »
So is your point system in effect or as normal?
College is starting up so posting will be infrequent for the next week or so.

I'll try a hands off approach. Take IS as normal.
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Mixster

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2012, 10:51:32 AM »
Hmm a monster of legend demilich could have 9 special abilities. If 3 of those were bought into spell casting, 3 into spell-likes and 3 others in whatever.
It could then, with a charisma of 40, choose ~100 spell level to be cast at will as spell-likes. This can include things like Gate, Miracle, Wish, Shapechange, Genesis, Monstrous Thrall, Mage's Disjunction, Timestop and even that sanctified spell called Armageddon.

That could make this challenge a lot more possible.
This signature reserved for the first awesome quote!

Offline Shadowmind

• There is no text here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2012, 11:29:45 AM »
Wish,Miracle, and Reality Revision  have been capped in the old challenges as up to 7/day if you would get them as a method that ignores their cost. The rest are fine.

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2012, 05:50:27 PM »
Really? I was quite certain I never allowed it. In any case, this was my mistake, not the DM's.

Not really. With the amount of HD and LA at your disposal, pretty much every single thing Illithid Savant can give you, you can get without using the class.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Shadowmind

• There is no text here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2012, 06:50:54 PM »

Not really. With the amount of HD and LA at your disposal, pretty much every single thing Illithid Savant can give you, you can get without using the class.

So can get take level is prestige classes that require you to actively be both good, evil, lawful and/or chaotic, and be an elf, dwarf, human, and other race restricted prestige classes? And several prestige classes that require certain specific first level only feats or abilities. Then you add abilities from monster than you can't get as a player without epic spells with is getting close to homebrew territory.  There are several things that you can't get through HD/LA.

daniel678  is the only person that I've found to actually tried to a make a build using (epic) Illithid Savant.

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2012, 07:34:09 AM »

So can get take level is prestige classes that require you to actively be both good, evil, lawful and/or chaotic, and be an elf, dwarf, human, and other race restricted prestige classes? And several prestige classes that require certain specific first level only feats or abilities. Then you add abilities from monster than you can't get as a player without epic spells with is getting close to homebrew territory.  There are several things that you can't get through HD/LA.

daniel678  is the only person that I've found to actually tried to a make a build using (epic) Illithid Savant.
Most abilities can be gotten through more than a single class anyway and there are heaps of adaptations to most PrCs with strict requirements. Not to mention that a great deal of the more unique abilities just flatout suck.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 07:36:05 AM by Tshern »
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Shadowmind

• There is no text here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2012, 05:40:25 PM »
Is Dweomerkeeper banned or allowed? Complete Divine, web enchantment version.

What are the dimension of the inside of the Tower?
9x9x999mi, X!=infinity, or X=infinite.
With the X!=infinity at any given time the Tower has a set dimensions, and this is possible to travel between points A and B.
X=infinity, the Tower has no defined size other than infinity at any given time.

Offline TravelLog

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2012, 11:05:44 PM »
Is Dweomerkeeper banned or allowed? Complete Divine, web enchantment version.

What are the dimension of the inside of the Tower?
9x9x999mi, X!=infinity, or X=infinite.
With the X!=infinity at any given time the Tower has a set dimensions, and this is possible to travel between points A and B.
X=infinity, the Tower has no defined size other than infinity at any given time.

You'll have to figure out the Tower for yourself. As for Dweomerkeeper, go for it (I mean taking the class, not just cherry-picking it's capstone with Illithid Savant).
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Shadowmind

• There is no text here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2012, 11:58:07 AM »
For the Monster of Legend template the HD it references is in regards to RHD or HD for its abilities?
While I know it was said you gain the additional special qualities in the old forum base on RHD and I don't know if like virtual class feature and spell casting special attacks are based on HD or RHD.

Is Oriental Adventures allowed? It is in a weird 3.0/3.5 limbo due to the 3.5 update is Dragon mag. material.

What are the effects of Corrupt damage like that the Iron Tower deals? Is it just untyped or is it like Vile damage?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 12:03:30 PM by Shadowmind »