Author Topic: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater  (Read 236742 times)

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
Re: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater
« Reply #221 on: May 11, 2016, 03:13:41 PM »
Yeah, Team Ninja and Ninja Gaiden series were fairly brutal throughout the entirety of their history. I did beat the NES trilogy, but Sigma broke me. Just had to say f' it, had other games in my backlog that produced less salt.

Kinda curious if they add multiplayer in Nioh, and to what extent.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 16, 2016, 12:04:18 AM »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 17, 2016, 03:03:11 PM »
Playstation TV: Anyone have one, have thoughts on one?  I just want it to play digitally purchased copies of PS1/2 games.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 17, 2016, 05:06:27 PM »
Playstation TV: Anyone have one, have thoughts on one?  I just want it to play digitally purchased copies of PS1/2 games.
There are ways to do just that. Even legal ones.

Legal wise, don't simply shy away from the ROMs. The tldr is if you listen to the company's they'll blow a lot of smoke up your ass about how it's illegal. But legally they have all but said they are which is how several those specific sites have remained up even after decades of attempted legal injuctions. Sony, Sega, and Nintendo have all lost cases in the 9th circuit so until the supreme court pretty much rules that even TiVo cannot record movies you can copy your old games all you want. Just remember that the gaming industry isn't exactly sitting around either. All newer TOSs are faustian pacts, you buy a temporarily license to play their game on their intended medium and you further agree to them yanking the license for pretty much whatever the hell they want. So eventually emulation, specially of online games, will hit a legal stopping point. And I doubt that'll be post PS4.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 05:11:26 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 17, 2016, 05:11:28 PM »
I should have know this would come up.

Let me rephrase: I want to play PS1/2 games on my television using a device that is permanently attached to my television.  A Playstation TV is much easier than trying to set up a computer dedicated to emulating, especially because PS2 emulators can be a pain.  It is also cheaper than a PS3 or PS4, and as I never want to go out and buy a physical Playstation disc and play it (I do all of my modern gaming on PC), the playstation tv seems perfect.

I am also completely unconcerned about the potential legal ramifications that you brought up, I want to play the game on the intended medium and I don't think Sony is just going to up and decide that all digitally purchased games are no longer valid.  If they did then Steam might and then I won't have anything to play so the playstation games being non-playable would be a non-issue due to other concerns.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 17, 2016, 05:34:33 PM »
Let me rephrase: I want to play PS1/2 games on my television using a device that is permanently attached to my television.  A Playstation TV is much easier than trying to set up a computer dedicated to emulating, especially because PS2 emulators can be a pain.
PS2 emulators are pretty easy, it's getting gameshark codes to work that's the problem.

Anyway, the PS TV costs a hundred bucks, or one fifty plus if you want a controller and a whole 8gb hard drive that could only store two whole Final Fantasy games (I jest, but srsly, ps1 is 800mb disks and ps2 is 4.3gb disks, 8gb isn't going to get you far). It also blacklisted any Vita game that uses pretty much any of Vita's hardware, you know, like the touchscreen or motion controls. And if you create a means to play those games, Sony will banhammer you and issue a patch because Sony loves to shit on it's users.

You're better off taking your $150 bucks and walking over to the colleges nearby and asking them if they are cycling any computers out. And since you don't care about the legal status, you'll also have access to every game made for the PS1 & 2 opposed to only the video games Sony has rights to distribute. Hell a Steam Link is fifty bucks, you and port your entire Steam collection to your TV just by leaving your current computer on even if it's nothing more than a laptop sitting next to your bed. Then you can use a PS3 or XBox controller too :p

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 17, 2016, 05:40:39 PM »
$100?  It's 42 bucks.  60 if I want the bundle that you mentioned.  Amazon is your friend. 

I'm not emulating, I've got no interest in it.  If I'm setting up a new network computer it's doing things more interesting to me.  I don't care about Vita only games, we already mentioned that.  Steam link is the only somewhat viable alternative you've offered except I don't really want one of those.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 17, 2016, 06:06:56 PM »
Let me rephrase: I'd like a device to connect to the Playstation store to buy/play old games.  I was excited when I saw the Playstation TV, it looks like what I want (a small box that connects to the playstation store that can buy/play old games).  Is it worth it as a device?  Does anyone have any experience with it?  Or should I just wait for the PS3 to get cheaper as the PS4 gains more market share if I want to buy games off of the playstation store?

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 17, 2016, 08:18:36 PM »
I don't really poke around the PS store, I pretty much moved to Steam, but you should be able to poke around on the store through the Internet to even see if they have what you like because if you're like me they never do.

Like I seriously wish Banjo-Kazooie would have been released on the Wii's virtual console but that ship I'm sure has sailed no thanks to Microsoft.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 17, 2016, 09:20:44 PM »
I don't really poke around the PS store, I pretty much moved to Steam, but you should be able to poke around on the store through the Internet to even see if they have what you like because if you're like me they never do.

Like I seriously wish Banjo-Kazooie would have been released on the Wii's virtual console but that ship I'm sure has sailed no thanks to Microsoft.

They have exactly what I'm looking for, thus the questions.  :P

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #232 on: May 26, 2016, 03:54:46 PM »
Four days until pre-registration opens for Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta!

It's a community-driven challenge run done for the benefit of Child's Play charity which begins proper around middle to late June. It's based off of the game's versatile class system where you can the roles for party members (Black Mage, Knight, etc) out of combat at will. Four Job Fiesta randomly generates four classes for you to use exclusively throughout the game.

As I plan to participate, I set up a Twitch stream for the eventual game. This does not mean that you need to do a livestream or video to be a part of the Fiesta; screenshots and even smartphone pictures to record evidence of your progress are also valid.

The festival ends on September 1st (perfect for being near the release of FFXV!), so folks have about a month and a half to finish the game.

This is a subreddit for it, and this is a Something Awful games thread for it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 04:03:40 PM by Libertad »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #233 on: May 27, 2016, 11:16:58 PM »
Dragon Ball RPG for the 3DS

Now with 1000% more character fusions!

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 28, 2016, 07:28:45 AM »
I heard that the new Doom is actually a Doom game. Not some hide-and-heal health regen knockoff.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 28, 2016, 07:50:31 AM »
You should check out the Game Grumps LP of it, if you want to see what it is like.  Warning, Danny it at the controls, so don't expect skill, but rather hilarious botches.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 28, 2016, 08:42:46 AM »
Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall are amazing, I love them (hopefully you will too).  I've wanted to play the online one but what you're describing is what I was afraid of so never bought it.

So I just finished Shadowrun Returns as a rigger. Fun game, but definitely not too challenging on the default mode. I was expecting something a little harder for the final battle. Installing Dragonfall now, so I'll probably start that sometime soon.

As a side note, played it on a Windows tablet and didn't have any problems at all. Steam version supports touch controls easily.

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 28, 2016, 09:35:00 AM »
I heard that the new Doom is actually a Doom game. Not some hide-and-heal health regen knockoff.

For me, the thing that made a Doom game a Doom game was the monster infighting.  When they went after each other, it was pure joy.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #238 on: May 28, 2016, 02:12:17 PM »

Didn't play it as i neither have a powerful enough PC or the money to buy it now, but watched a full playthrough, and it's amazing.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Shadowhunter

• E6/E8 fanboy.
    • View Profile
    • The additional vestige collection for all you Binder players out there.
« Reply #239 on: May 28, 2016, 02:29:30 PM »
Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall are amazing, I love them (hopefully you will too).  I've wanted to play the online one but what you're describing is what I was afraid of so never bought it.

So I just finished Shadowrun Returns as a rigger. Fun game, but definitely not too challenging on the default mode. I was expecting something a little harder for the final battle. Installing Dragonfall now, so I'll probably start that sometime soon.

As a side note, played it on a Windows tablet and didn't have any problems at all. Steam version supports touch controls easily.

I played through Returns as a rigger. Found it a bit amusing that no one batted an eyelid at the janitor having grade A/S combat drones following him around when you disguised yourself to infiltrate a place.