Author Topic: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater  (Read 236705 times)

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
Re: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater
« Reply #400 on: January 20, 2017, 10:17:46 PM »
I pre-ordered one today. Even if it's just a device for playing Nintendo games and 3rd party support dries up like it did with the Wii U, I'll still say it's worth it. I skipped the Wii U, so I'm actually looking forward to the games they're porting over.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 01:29:34 PM by linklord231 »
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 21, 2017, 04:26:32 AM »
Well,no surprise since Nintendo's consoles have always been about gaming before being an entertainment hub http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/20/14339596/nintendo-switch-netflix-streaming?yptr=yahoo

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 21, 2017, 04:30:09 AM »
I've used my WiiU for Hulu almost exclusively for the last 6 months  :p

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 25, 2017, 06:42:21 PM »
looks like it's going to be a VERY healthy launch for the switch http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/24/14377266/nintendo-switch-launch-games-world-of-goo-little-inferno-human-resource-machine

Good for them,really bouncing back from the WiiU

Hidden cost of owning a Switch http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/20/14304242/nintendo-switch-price-must-buy-accessories

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 25, 2017, 09:33:08 PM »
Hidden cost of owning a Switch http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/20/14304242/nintendo-switch-price-must-buy-accessories
The good news is most of those "hidden" costs are a desperate attempt by an X-Box fan trying to complain about the Switch and they just don't hold up very well.

Like the MicroSD, it's not 28 bucks is $19.99 or free if you're like me and have unused spares laying about or totally unneeded if you just buy the hard copy because it's about the only way to hack your save file these days. Admittedly the Switch's controller price is kind of a black mark, Nintendo is the family console of casual gaming and only offering two controllers for free and then you have to spend another sixty bucks, or 30/controller, to round out for a family of four is kind of lame. All well, at least you're not spending 70 bucks on a "pro" X-Box controller just so you finally have a second one in the house or 90 bucks on a "trick" X-Box controller because dammit, buttons matter! ;)

Then the article really gets dirty buy claiming buying games are a hidden cost, I'm not even sure how I made it that far down into the list but I did. Yeah the Switch isn't backwards compatible like pretty much every other system these days. Based on my past purchases I must be a Nintendo fan and given their recent trend of backwards support - such as the WiiU natively being able to run Gamecube games or how the 3DS can run 2DS or GBA could run GB games - I've grown attached to backwards support into of emulation and the switch back to single-system source is terrible. It makes me feel like I'd be purchasing a Playstation. :(
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:35:18 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: January 25, 2017, 10:23:48 PM »
Like the MicroSD, it's not 28 bucks is $19.99 or free if you're like me and have unused spares laying about or totally unneeded if you just buy the hard copy because it's about the only way to hack your save file these days. Admittedly the Switch's controller price is kind of a black mark, Nintendo is the family console of casual gaming and only offering two controllers for free and then you have to spend another sixty bucks, or 30/controller, to round out for a family of four is kind of lame. All well, at least you're not spending 70 bucks on a "pro" X-Box controller just so you finally have a second one in the house or 90 bucks on a "trick" X-Box controller because dammit, buttons matter! ;)

Nintendo fan boy :P I'm surprised you didn't just go for broke and claim the 150 dollar controller...I should note that I have only bought two controllers, one was discounted due to trading in the one the console comes with and the other was only 25 dollars since it was wired.

EDIT: How did Nintendo do online communication between players was it just text or what?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:28:33 PM by trappedslider »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 26, 2017, 12:50:48 AM »
EDIT: How did Nintendo do online communication between players was it just text or what?
Probably through annoying icons like Triforce Heroes so little kids are not exposed to the none-existent words created out of mashing the word "fuck" with "tits", "dick", "ass", "fuck" or "urmom" that makes up your typical teen's extremely limited vocabulary online.

And if you thought Navi was bad, wait until the only thing people can say is tap on the flashing icon that waves "come on", that one tiny packet probably contributes to 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the server's traffic. >.>

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 26, 2017, 01:32:41 AM »
Or there are the premade word options like in Pokemon at times where you could only string together four words/phrases and show it before battle.  Didn't keep people from doing stuff like "Your mother so rank I've fainted" though.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 26, 2017, 01:11:15 PM »
Didn't keep people from doing stuff like "Your mother so rank I've fainted" though.
On the one hand that's still terrible, but on the other at least it's not too obscene.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 30, 2017, 08:08:51 AM »
https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/243576-243576 Official Nintendo Switch microSD cards are much more expensive than normal versions

Honestly, by this point in time, I think almost everyone who wants a switch already has a microSD card..still a cash grab that will work...

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 30, 2017, 03:55:42 PM »
Now that's a cash grab, you can break out your Nintendo hating pitch forks over it if you like.

User comments seemed quick in bringing up how you used to have to buy memory cards. I guess they forgot about the Gamecube required one too.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 30, 2017, 06:09:11 PM »
Now that's a cash grab, you can break out your Nintendo hating pitch forks over it if you like.

User comments seemed quick in bringing up how you used to have to buy memory cards. I guess they forgot about the Gamecube required one too.

I remember, i walked to k-mart to get one so we could save our progress in RE4 lol

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 30, 2017, 07:55:46 PM »
Those cards don't matter much if you don't buy any games thru the eShop tho, right?

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 04, 2017, 05:12:39 PM »
Those cards don't matter much if you don't buy any games thru the eShop tho, right?
Huh?

We're talking about "Nintendo official" MicroSD cards to upgrade to are more expensive than than a normal card. You already have like 32gb HD space to save your games (and download them). If you're already an adult, you probably won't even buy enough games to fill it anyway :p

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 07, 2017, 06:45:28 PM »
You all remember River City Ransom, right?  That awesome NES action-RPG beat 'em up, where enemies say BARF! (among other things) when you defeat them.

River City Ransom Underground takes place 25 years later, where Alex and Ryan (english names for the main characters in the 1st game) have graduated and now run their own auto shop.  The game now has 9 playable characters, each with their own unique movesets.  And though this was a kickstarter funded game, the devs did get the proper licensing for it.  Interesting, since there's a different sequel that Japan's been working on for RCR, too.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 21, 2017, 09:58:36 AM »
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 10:05:50 AM by trappedslider »

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 24, 2017, 01:56:56 AM »
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-3-creator-on-the-future-of-rpgs-open-world/1100-6448161/

It's the kind of device that only Nintendo could make. It's really a Nintendo thing. And they've been a very good partner with us, whereas maybe before they were less interested in the types of things that we did or some other groups did.  So, I don't know where it's going to go, but I think it's a really smart platform. We like it a lot. It's exciting to bring Skyrim to the Nintendo audience.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 05, 2017, 11:40:24 AM »
So who all hid inside this weekend playing their Switches?

How is it? I hate "let's play" videos but I've been keeping my eye on r/zelda.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 05, 2017, 05:26:35 PM »
I can't allow myself to get a switch until maybe the next holiday season. I need my sales discounts. But I almost bought Zelda for the Wii U. Stopped tho as apparently it has a lot of lag-related graphical issues on the Wii U :(