Author Topic: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater  (Read 237062 times)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater
« Reply #440 on: March 16, 2017, 11:55:42 PM »
Thing is, in the old days consoles meant "put cartridge/CD in, turn power on, enjoy."

But nowadays "consoles" have firmware updates and need memory upgrades and then they try to force the "pro" version which slightly shinier graphics down your throat.

Meanwhile PCs have become a lot more streamlined, faster, cheaper and more memory than what we know what to do with.

So why bother with "consoles" that are basically worst PCs in every sense of the word?

You may remember the steam machines announced a few years back. Or not. Because they sold so badly the Wii U is a massive success compared to that. Nobody really bothered with fancy new "consoles" when you could play the same exact same games on a PC.

So the only reason to buy "consoles" nowadays are exclusives. But when Sony and Microsoft are both going "You know what? Now you can play our exclusives on actual PCs!", it's only a matter of time for players to fully migrate. Now those who already bought a PS4/Xbone won't set it on fire, but new kids won't bother and when/if PS5/XVista is announced, people will ask themselves why bother when they can play the same games on the PCs they already have.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 17, 2017, 04:59:28 AM »

You may remember the steam machines announced a few years back.

The wal-mart here has one of those still

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 18, 2017, 10:05:32 AM »
Can't we all just agree that while some prefer consoles over PCs and others PCs over consoles that the key thing is enjoyment?
I'd say so, but try telling that to the PC Master Race.  :P
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 24, 2017, 03:45:00 PM »
I got my Switch ordered today for it's listed price off Amazon, $299.99 and it'll be here in a few days. It was a Prime exclusive that sold out within twenty minutes of me getting my order in. Soon I will be playing Breath of the Wild!

Since we skipped the Wii U I also pre-ordered Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. My wife is addicted to those games while all I can feel is unhealthy amounts of rage when playing against the CPUs. But we'll still kill a couple weeks of our life teaming up against them, it seems less abusive if I only take half the shell & lightning rape.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 24, 2017, 04:19:40 PM »
Speaking of the Switch, pirates are already reverse-engineering the carts.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 24, 2017, 06:48:26 PM »
Speaking of the Switch, pirates are already reverse-engineering the carts.
Good.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 25, 2017, 04:15:40 AM »
Speaking of Zelda https://gamerant.com/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-pc-emulator-crowdfund/

I give it a few weeks to a month before Nintendo slaps them hard with a C&D, on the one hand I get that Nintendo doesn't like it when others do this kind of thing..but on the other I think it shows that fans will play Nintendo Games on their preferred platform,something Nintendo is loath to admit and embrace since their consoles still pull in money.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 25, 2017, 06:15:43 AM »
5500 dudes supporting the emulator.

vs

About 89% of the 1 500 000 people buying Nintendo Switch also bought Zelda Botw. Not taking in account Wii U sales.

Clearly Nintendo should focus on the less than 0,004%. :rolleyes

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 25, 2017, 07:30:04 AM »

vs

About 89% of the 1 500 000 people buying Nintendo Switch also bought Zelda Botw. Not taking in account Wii U sales.

Now my question to you if if Zelda Botw hadn't been a launch title or available on PC/other consoles how many of those switches would have been sold :P *recalls the last two pages of back and forth of talking about how the only thing separating consoles and pc were exclusives*

people will ask themselves why bother when they can play the same games on the PCs they already have.

like i said consoles and exclusives pull in the monies for Nintendo still and even if the console and handhelds were to flop (unlikely) they still have a very large cash reserve they can go through before even considering going publisher only.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 26, 2017, 10:30:55 AM »
Fuck Zelda, I want CEMU to run Bayonetta without the ear-splitting glitches every time you go into Witch time.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #450 on: March 26, 2017, 12:03:24 PM »
Fuck Zelda, I want CEMU to run Bayonetta without the ear-splitting glitches every time you go into Witch time.
You don't need to spend thousands of dollars on a deva team for that, just press the mute button for your TV.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 26, 2017, 01:24:58 PM »
So the only reason to buy "consoles" nowadays are exclusives. But when Sony and Microsoft are both going "You know what? Now you can play our exclusives on actual PCs!", it's only a matter of time for players to fully migrate. Now those who already bought a PS4/Xbone won't set it on fire, but new kids won't bother and when/if PS5/XVista is announced, people will ask themselves why bother when they can play the same games on the PCs they already have.

Price is also a reason. Plus hardware-related issues in games being vastly easier to diagnose with a fixed hardware configuration than the nigh infinite number of combinations available for a PC.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 26, 2017, 08:14:17 PM »

vs

Now my question to you if if Zelda Botw hadn't been a launch title or available on PC/other consoles how many of those switches would have been sold :P *recalls the last two pages of back and forth of talking about how the only thing separating consoles and pc were exclusives*
Emulators aren't exactly a secret. If people want to play Zelda Botw on the PC, they only need to throw their money at that emulator group instead of Nintendo.

But again, only a few thousand out of millions of players did it, which I believe is about the amount of envious nintendo haters that desperately want to play awesome Zelda BoTW but won't give Nintendo a single dime come the apocalype.

Plus, the Switch can work as a portable. I know of no tablet or cellphone on the market that could hope to run Zelda BoTW. Being able to play on the go is a major advantage.

EDIT: Since we're at it, Nintendo promises a full E3 show for this year.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:30:01 PM by oslecamo »

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 27, 2017, 01:26:10 AM »

Emulators aren't exactly a secret. If people want to play Zelda Botw on the PC, they only need to throw their money at that emulator group instead of Nintendo.

But again, only a few thousand out of millions of players did it, which I believe is about the amount of envious nintendo haters that desperately want to play awesome Zelda BoTW but won't give Nintendo a single dime come the apocalypse.

Plus, the Switch can work as a portable. I know of no tablet or cellphone on the market that could hope to run Zelda BoTW. Being able to play on the go is a major advantage.

EDIT: Since we're at it, Nintendo promises a full E3 show for this year.

Emulators may not be a secret but they still aren't 100% main stream, more like 75 to 90% give or take.  Like i said I'm pretty sure there would have been a slight dip in the launch sells of the Switch if Zelda  had been wide release (meaning on the other platforms) or it would have been a repeat of  Wii U and Mario Cart 8 if released later,which caused an uptake in the sells.

and seeing Xbone reminds me back during the late 90s when we used M$ to bash Microsoft lol

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 30, 2017, 07:40:44 PM »
What do you mean used? Some of use never stopped :p

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 01, 2017, 02:25:16 PM »
From the guy that brought you Skyrim comes BotW!
Warning, it's not funny as the game has done nothing but deliver a load of disappointment.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

tl;dir: Pokemon Go was get out side and explore, meet new people, see the sun, learn of new places.
Breath of the Wild's moral was if you go outside YOU WILL FUCKING DIE.
Every mechanic in it is designed to prevent and slow your ability to actually explore the area. Even the freaking horses will randomly change directions forcing you to maintain constant vigilance on tapping the "what is sounds like to have sex with a horse" button because heaven forbid you point it to civilization and you get up to grab a drink, you need to see the landscape you can't explore so Nintendo can tease you.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 02:27:02 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #456 on: April 01, 2017, 02:58:14 PM »
"All I fucking want to do is see this goddamn world I've heard so much about and all this piece of shit game can do is smacking me in the face with a wet rolled up newspaper and scream NO."

Which is exactly why the game, for me, is so good.

After you get Bombs/Magnesis/Stasis/Cryonis, finishing the three mandated shrines and getting the Paraglider, you're home free. Unlike previous Zelda games where areas were completely locked off because you don't have the Slingshot/Bow/Grappling Hook/Ball & Chain/Whatever, BoTW gives you every tool you need to beat the game in, literally, the tutorial area.

Once you finish the Great Plateau, you have the paraglider, bombs, magnesis and stasis. You don't need anything else to explore, or even BEAT, the entire game.

"Every mechanic in it is designed to prevent and slow your ability to actually explore the area. Even the freaking horses will randomly change directions forcing you to maintain constant vigilance on tapping the "what is sounds like to have sex with a horse" button because heaven forbid you point it to civilization and you get up to grab a drink, you need to see the landscape you can't explore so Nintendo can tease you."

Not really. Horses will randomly change directions if they don't trust you yet, once you get max bond with your horse there's no need to keep spamming the soothe button and they will happily obey your commands. There's also horse personalities, Wild horses tend to be faster and have more carrots for sprinting, but they like to buck you off and go their own way. On the other hand, horses who are calmer are more quicker to be trusting, but tend to be slower and have less carrots.

Barring stuff that's on the edge of the map, almost 100% of what you can see in the distance you're able to explore. Even if you don't want to keep doing shrines to increase your stamina to get better at climbing, you eventually come across gear that makes climbing easier, and you can farm for materials to make stamina replenishing and boosting gear. Meaning no matter how tall a mountain is, you can climb it.

Oh, it's raining, you can't climb it? Grab some bundles of wood, flint, make a fire, sit for a couple hours to wait the rain out.
Is it a thunder storm outside? Unequip all metal gear, lightning won't hit you. If you see sparks coming out of Link's body, it means he's about to get hit by lightning. Unequip or throw your metal items. For funsies, try throwing them: you CAN get lightning to strike a specific point by manipulating the game like this.
Is it too tall/hard to climb? Get any rock/chest and attach Octo Ballons to it, float to a sufficient height and paraglide some or all of the way there.
Don't want to farm Octo Ballons? Set fire to grass and ride the updraft.

Everything i'm mentioning here is available right after the tutorial area. Right after the Great Plateau. The game does not limit you in any way, except gear-wise. If you go out and explore, very quickly you will come across extremely powerful gear that will enable you to make short work of any foe you encounter.

Even the Guardians, there are ways you can deal with them pretty easily from the get go: just parry their lasers with your shield. The immobile guardians get insta-killed, and the mobile ones take 3 parries to die.

Hell, WITHOUT using glitches, there are already speedruns of this game that are in the 47 minute mark.

WITHOUT glitches - meaning all they use are game mechanics.

(click to show/hide)

So yeah, i disagree with your criticism. Everything can be explored and the only roadblock is in actually learning all of the mechanics, there is absolutely nothing holding you back from going anywhere you please like in other games, in that, Zelda is perhaps the only game that truly took "Open World" to it's fullest.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 01, 2017, 05:20:56 PM »
After you get Bombs/Magnesis/Stasis/Cryonis, finishing the three mandated shrines and getting the Paraglider, you're home free. Unlike previous Zelda games where areas were completely locked off because you don't have the Slingshot/Bow/Grappling Hook/Ball & Chain/Whatever, BoTW gives you every tool you need to beat the game in, literally, the tutorial area.
That's like saying Pokemon gives you every tool you need to complete the game before collecting all eight badges (which is entirely possible through at least three different glitches).

You are cut off from sections of the map. Either you can't swim/climb far enough (stamina-based limitations), or it's too hot/cold (equipment-based limitations), or the enemies deal like 8+ hearts in damage for one shot kills (heart-based limitations) which can by bypassed by player skill but then again can you to an 8 minute speed run of SMB3 and finish with 99 lives? No, yeah, near perfection for years of playing isn't a relevant discussion point.

Then there areas like Zora's Domain or that other one with a constant thunderstorm of auto-lightning death (boss-based limitations) and then finally the worst ones, random bullshit-limitations like rain/thunderstorm/night/bloodmoon penalties that are specifically designed to force you to stop what you're doing, detour to a safe area, painstakingly wait on a stupid fire, run all the way back, and finally resume your progress which is perhaps the most infuriating element of the game. Not even the fact that is seems the game is designed around 500 defense & 30 hearts with infinite food as the minimum prerequisite for running around on the map, but fact that I personally have to waste my time on tedious annoying crap every 20 minutes of playing. And it's the same mechanic for stamina-based limitations, go waste time playing herbalist to mix up some stamina boosts & replenishers for temporary access that'll get revoked until you waste time again.

Can you imagine if another game tried this?
* Halo 2: Stop and wait five minutes for shields edition.
* Link Between Worlds: Wait ten minutes each time you travel between the worlds edition.
* Super Mario Bros - Rename Version #247: Using pipes takes eight minutes edition.

It's a cheap shitty mechanic designed to inflate playtime. It seems it may be useful to quickly consume the time left on your +20 max heart food (a value of finding and completing eighty shrine puzzles) but you know what's a great idea? Not offering crap like that to begin with.

And btw, horses are pay-to-win. If you paid for the Amiibo you can just summon Epona for a horse with maximum stats and is perfectly tame, 100% chance of summoning on your first usage. Best of all even if she dies you can simply resurrect her or wait until she drops again from the very same Amiibo.

Nintendo's core flaw with this game is they have no understanding of their player base. Ignoring the main objective is fun because you're ignoring what the game wants you to do. Side quests are supposed to be rewarding and fun distractions. Heck speed running Metroid was awesome because you got upgrades sooner than you should. Railroading them into playing the game by actively punishing them for deviations while teasing "but you technically can have full access!" is worse than Turbine's game model with DDO.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 05:24:23 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 01, 2017, 06:02:20 PM »
 maybe they didn't understand YOUR expectations, I haven't gone looking for them but yours is the first negative post about the game I've seen.

EDIT: I'll be playing FO4 on my PC next week,any mod suggestions other than graphics and the full dialogue mod?

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 01, 2017, 06:34:56 PM »
Bayonetta released on Steam!

(click to show/hide)