Author Topic: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater  (Read 236836 times)

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
Re: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater
« Reply #560 on: May 03, 2017, 07:24:53 PM »
Starcraft 2, not Soul Calibur 2.  You guys already seem to be having totally different conversations, I figure I should point that out before you guys start talking past each other yet again.
Ahh, we were on Zelda & Gamecube and guess who makes an appearance in that game.

I feel like playing LA again too. It's such a great game. LoZ/LoZ2 were standard Nintendo-hard, lots of enemies with poor control. LttP was the revamp to the series that many people take for granted. It focused less on quantity of combat, such as Master Quest of LoZ giving you room after room after room of enemies to clear, and gave us the puzzle style of play. It is the foundation of the Zelda iconic of a boss weakness to the new item obtained but also of map traversing items should serve a purpose in combat too. LA was a refinement of LttP and was expanded on to create the Oracles while LttP would serve as copypasta for LbW. OoT may have the public eye as #1, but it got there after LttP/LA defined the franchise's concepts beyond the top down view exploration LoZ introduced.

In recent years OoT is being less-favourably viewed in lieu of its "sequel" Majora's Mask, that was less afraid to travel unknown territory and deliver a Zelda story Without a princess Zelda. Other titles in the franchise are also being given more credit. OOT has the distinction of being the first 3D Zelda, so, it will always have a place in gamer's hearts, including mine (I 100%'d the game at least 20 times).

But OOT was released in the early stages of gaming, as it were. It gave us something few had up until that point, but many others have matched it since, and even exceeded it.

If somehow OOT was re-released today, with modern graphics and in a modern engine, and people magically forgot all about Zelda games, it would probably get mediocre reviews. It would still be a good or even a great game by any standard, but not stellar enough to amass almost universal praise. The dungeons are relatively small and simplistic, and even an unskilled player can usually complete the game in under 10~12 hours. The story is extremely clichéd, and the orchestral score isn't anything special by today's standard. The combat, as well, is extremely underwhelming by today standards, with enemies having very preset abilities, and with almost no variety in weapons.

Majora's Mask, under the same conditions, would fare much, much better. Its story is very original, with its blend of happy and sad. The mechanic of constantly operating under a clock, but one that you can rewind, is interesting. The different masks give it a depth to combat OOT lacks, and the creepy factor in a "kid's" game is also something really interesting.

All in all, i think much of the fanfare surrounding OoT is that it has the distinction of being "first" in several aspects, while also being really good at all of those things it was first at. It was revolutionary and set a new, much higher bar, for anything that came after it. That is why it is such an amazing game for all of us, none of us had played anything quite like it when it was released. It was an achievement, a masterpiece. And it gave us all of that in a very pretty real 3D shell.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #561 on: May 03, 2017, 09:52:59 PM »
All in all, i think much of the fanfare surrounding OoT is that it has the distinction of being "first" in several aspects, while also being really good at all of those things it was first at. It was revolutionary and set a new, much higher bar, for anything that came after it. That is why it is such an amazing game for all of us, none of us had played anything quite like it when it was released. It was an achievement, a masterpiece. And it gave us all of that in a very pretty real 3D shell.

Pretty much. I remember the Z-targeting system being copied left, right and center by future games. Heck, it's still pretty popular when I think about it.

Ditto for the rolling mechanic.

But overall yeah, Ocarina of Time was Nintendo going "Look everybody, this is what you can really do with a 3D game".

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: May 03, 2017, 10:44:45 PM »
so, this is something I just recently found out http://www.falloutcascadia.com/

Fallout Cascadia aims to bring the Fallout experience to the Pacific Northwest and let you explore the massive ruins of Seattle, meet the NCR once again, stumble across new enemies and factions - all through the eyes of our new protagonist - see you in Seattle!

Looks interesting....I'll be keeping an eye on it

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: May 04, 2017, 06:28:17 PM »
so, this is something I just recently found out http://www.falloutcascadia.com/

Fallout Cascadia aims to bring the Fallout experience to the Pacific Northwest and let you explore the massive ruins of Seattle, meet the NCR once again, stumble across new enemies and factions - all through the eyes of our new protagonist - see you in Seattle!

Looks interesting....I'll be keeping an eye on it

I have to wonder how much "post apocalyptic" you can really justify in the NCR's back garden.

As for (a few pages back now) the comment about FO4 being less mod friendly than Skyrim: Fallout's been somewhat less friendly than the Elder Scrolls games in general, and I guess part of that is involved.

But mostly I guess it's because they went and did it in 64-bit with a different engine. So that's more work by default. Same reason I don't touch Skyrim's Special Edition yet; the script extender isn't ready. And unless it does end up being able to use the old mods, not much point--there's a lot of things I doubt would be updated.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 06, 2017, 01:36:54 PM »
There was a joke on Reddit about Link being super happy on the box art for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, dunno what the comment said since I can't refind the thread but it turns out in game one of his jump boost animations is leaping into the air with the Triforce.

Let the fan theories that Link's wish was to for Mario to ask him to join him in all those Nintendo outings. He probably got jealous after Sonic was invited to the Olympics.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 07, 2017, 06:44:11 PM »
I'm making myself go through my Steam library and actually play all of the games that I own, and apparently I hate FF7.  I don't like the pacing, I don't like the Materia system, I don't like the dialog, I don't like the characters.  I even don't like how you catch Chocobos, FF Tactics did better for that one.

I can't think of a single thing of the game that I did like after 11 or so hours playing...

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 08, 2017, 04:11:46 AM »
so, I just realized something

(click to show/hide)

looks a bit like
(click to show/hide)

without botox injections to deal with wrinkles  :lol

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: May 09, 2017, 10:49:25 AM »
I'm making myself go through my Steam library and actually play all of the games that I own, and apparently I hate FF7.  I don't like the pacing, I don't like the Materia system, I don't like the dialog, I don't like the characters.  I even don't like how you catch Chocobos, FF Tactics did better for that one. I can't think of a single thing of the game that I did like after 11 or so hours playing...
Man, I'm normally the cynical/depressed/hater for this forum but I'm pretty sure I just lost my title on that one.  :P

Well, time to load up FF8 then which comes with twice the teen angst as you play a mercenary out to save the world without knowing who the actual bad guy is. At least now through you'll quickly forget magic is meant to be used in battle as you start using GFs for bathroom breaks and realize playing through the game using Phoenix Downs clears over 95% of the game's content.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: May 09, 2017, 11:10:08 AM »
I'm making myself go through my Steam library and actually play all of the games that I own, and apparently I hate FF7.  I don't like the pacing, I don't like the Materia system, I don't like the dialog, I don't like the characters.  I even don't like how you catch Chocobos, FF Tactics did better for that one. I can't think of a single thing of the game that I did like after 11 or so hours playing...
Man, I'm normally the cynical/depressed/hater for this forum but I'm pretty sure I just lost my title on that one.  :P

Well, time to load up FF8 then which comes with twice the teen angst as you play a mercenary out to save the world without knowing who the actual bad guy is. At least now through you'll quickly forget magic is meant to be used in battle as you start using GFs for bathroom breaks and realize playing through the game using Phoenix Downs clears over 95% of the game's content.

Sorry, I love FF8 even with all the emo angst.  :P

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 09, 2017, 04:43:23 PM »
https://uploadvr.com/bethesda-needs-to-do-fallout-4-vr/ I guess fixing the bugs in the base code goes without saying?

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: May 09, 2017, 05:23:52 PM »
Sorry, I love FF8 even with all the emo angst.  :P
It's story, to me, was a little better. The game is probably one of the most easily broken ones out there which actually made it kind of interesting, that and Triple Triad was pretty addictive. You can download it as a mobile game, couple people offer it.

https://uploadvr.com/bethesda-needs-to-do-fallout-4-vr/ I guess fixing the bugs in the base code goes without saying?
Things Fallout 4 needs to support VR: Let us use our hands.

So, the problem with every VR set and Nintendo has showed us something we probably won't actually want anytime soon?

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 12, 2017, 11:09:47 PM »
so, after I'm done iwth my current play-thru of FO4, I'm going to mess with body slide and make my own body as my next step in modding.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 24, 2017, 02:39:03 PM »
I decided not to play into the Amiibo game of overpriced toy figures, specially after those dickwads jacked up the prices on the Switch, and ordered a bunch of NFC cards. So guess who just got the Fierce Deity Tunic & Legs on Breath Of The Wild today. :D

Side note, you can only use a given Amiibo once per day but you can use multiple Amiibo even if they share the same type. In my case, I programmed two of the cards to act like the unreleased Majora's Mask Link hence picking up two of the items today. So tomorrow I'm hoping to pull the mask and a sword depending on how many times I feel like reloading my save. They are almost exactly like the Barbarian armor, one of my favorites to run around in, which is nice except the upgrade ingredients require some dragon farming.

I also got my hands on the 20 heart Wolf Link data which is nice :D

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 27, 2017, 02:35:24 PM »
Got all three Mass Effects for something like $15.  2 was free through Origin for a month, then I waited until I could get 1 and 3 at discounts.

Took me roughly 10 download and install tries to actually get Mass Effect 1 working.  The first time I downloaded it, it installed, and then it said I still needed to install so I installed again and it still kept saying I needed to install so I tried some other things here and there and what eventually got it working was changing the install directory and running Origin in both XP SP3 compatibility mode and admin mode too.

So far it's been nice to play, though there are definitely graphics and voice/dialog oddities that have me scratching my head.  Took a bit to get started with combat because I'm not used to squad-based stuff and I'm wondering if it might just be better to have me be the frontliner while my team is support.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: June 01, 2017, 08:24:15 PM »

Offline DDchampion

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: June 02, 2017, 01:20:35 AM »
Remember about when Nintendo said their subscription wold grant you one free game per month? Now they're changing it to Switch subscription granting you full access to a library of NES game with online play while the subscription lasts. Also one year subscription will only be 20 bucks. And they're keeping normal MP free until 2018.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: June 02, 2017, 12:39:29 PM »
Remember about when Nintendo said their subscription wold grant you one free game per month? Now they're changing it to Switch subscription granting you full access to a library of NES game with online play while the subscription lasts. Also one year subscription will only be 20 bucks. And they're keeping normal MP free until 2018.

Now that's a significantly better deal than Sony gets you.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #577 on: June 02, 2017, 04:23:05 PM »
I don't know... PS Plus gets you several free games a month and some of them are really good, too. I got Tales From The Borderlands full edition for PS4 recently. It's a bit more expensive, yes, but you also get some very nice perks.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline DDchampion

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: June 02, 2017, 11:36:28 PM »
Triple the price is not only "a bit more expensive".

Now to wait until Nintendo releases Pokemon Switch and human society collapses.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: June 02, 2017, 11:56:55 PM »
I don't know... PS Plus gets you several free games a month and some of them are really good, too. I got Tales From The Borderlands full edition for PS4 recently. It's a bit more expensive, yes, but you also get some very nice perks.
fyi Tales From The Borderlands was offered for 80% off on Steam last year.

So you're paying sixty bucks a month for something that gives you five dollar products a year late.

Edit - Do you want Borderlands the Pre-Squeal?
It comes with Day of the Tentacle Remastered, Grim Fandango Remastered, The Stanley Parable, Broken Sword 5 - The Serpent's Curse, Worms Clan Wars, 80 Days, & Her Story and only costs you a ten dollar donation to idk the American Heart Association or w/e one you like and you can just give your friend's kid's the keys to the games you're not interested in for good measure. 3 days left on Humblebundle's sale.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 12:03:31 AM by SorO_Lost »