Author Topic: The OOC Thread: In Dungeons Deep and Caverns Old  (Read 26573 times)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: The OOC Thread: In Dungeons Deep and Caverns Old
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2014, 06:28:15 PM »
All I can assume is that Alex is semi-magicproof. :P

Offline Libertad

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2014, 06:50:39 PM »
So according to your total recovered treasure (395 silver pieces), along with the enemies you defeated (1 3-HD, 1 2-HD, and 4 1-HD enemies), you have gained

395 experience points (treasure) + 115 experience points (monsters) = 510 experience points.  Keep in mind that you gain experience from recovered treasure, whether or not you sold it.  Thus, you can keep your silver mace and your worn anklets and books if you desire, you'll just have less silver than if you sold them.  Magic items aren't sold on the open market, so you don't have to worry about saving up money to buy level-appropriate equipment like in 3rd Edition and Pathfinder.

As Solo Heroes greatly increases the power and versatility of PCs, I'm dividing the total by 2.  255 experience for each of you.

As we can assume that Kana's going to make it out as well, should I make the next post?

Edit: Eh, why not?  I'm the DM, after all.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 06:52:44 PM by Libertad »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2014, 07:25:38 PM »
Yay, only another... seven dungeons to go! For me. Kana needs four more. XD

Offline Libertad

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2014, 08:16:16 PM »
Yay, only another... seven dungeons to go! For me. Kana needs four more. XD

I plan on scattering various minor sidequests and small places to explore in East Brendor, which you both have the freedom to follow.  That should help with things.

The last few combats were pretty easy, so I'm planning on stepping things up (as well as corresponding treasure rates).

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2014, 08:30:23 PM »
I'm not sure whether Alex chooses to rhyme or just pissed something weird off. @_@

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2014, 10:04:40 AM »
So according to your total recovered treasure (395 silver pieces), along with the enemies you defeated (1 3-HD, 1 2-HD, and 4 1-HD enemies), you have gained

395 experience points (treasure) + 115 experience points (monsters) = 510 experience points.  Keep in mind that you gain experience from recovered treasure, whether or not you sold it.  Thus, you can keep your silver mace and your worn anklets and books if you desire, you'll just have less silver than if you sold them.  Magic items aren't sold on the open market, so you don't have to worry about saving up money to buy level-appropriate equipment like in 3rd Edition and Pathfinder.

As Solo Heroes greatly increases the power and versatility of PCs, I'm dividing the total by 2.  255 experience for each of you.

Sooo, how will we deal with scroll scribing? Does it count as losing exp since I have to sacrifice money? When should I be able to get some downtime?

Also, totally should have cut of a head or two from the enemies we defeated to present as proof of our good work. :P

EDIT: And since I'm at it, how long would it take to write a spare copy of the book of names? I had the impression it was a pretty tick volume.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 03:09:11 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Libertad

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2014, 05:50:53 PM »

Sooo, how will we deal with scroll scribing? Does it count as losing exp since I have to sacrifice money? When should I be able to get some downtime?

Also, totally should have cut of a head or two from the enemies we defeated to present as proof of our good work. :P

EDIT: And since I'm at it, how long would it take to write a spare copy of the book of names? I had the impression it was a pretty tick volume.

Roll 1d6 for each scroll to determine the number of days, and times the total days by 20 silver pieces to get how much it will cost.  You should have some downtime as soon as you get back to Lord Ascariot.  He'll spend some time collaborating on the new intelligence, during which time you can take downtime as well as go on sidequests in Vornheim and greater East Brendor.

The experience points you gained via treasure stay with you.  Whether you keep the treasure or sell it does not alter the amount of experience you have, nor does buying goods and services detract from your experience total.  See pages 33-34 of the Rules & Magic book, under "recovering treasure."

The volume can be copied in the span of a day if you stay up all night furiously inscribing the new text.  The book is far from complete (thankfully), most of its pages blank.  It's the kind of work you add to over time.  It will cost you 5 copper pieces worth of ink to make a copy.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 05:52:34 PM by Libertad »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2014, 07:10:55 PM »
Well, I'd like to take time to copy the names. And on getting to Vornheim, sell what little stuff we gathered.

Not sure whether to keep the mace. Anything silver is particularly good against in this? >_>;

Offline Libertad

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2014, 07:22:30 PM »
Well, I'd like to take time to copy the names. And on getting to Vornheim, sell what little stuff we gathered.

Not sure whether to keep the mace. Anything silver is particularly good against in this? >_>;

LotFP is known for its lack of bestiary.  The author (James Raggi) takes the view that extensive statblocks of monsters normalizes them and messes with the mood of "Weird Fantasy," so he encourages DMs with guidelines on how to create their own monsters.

I will be both making up my own monsters, and using ones from the other retroclones.

It's a well-known bit of folklore that silver is very effective against werewolves and certain extraplanar creatures, capable of dealing damage to them where other weapons would deal nothing.

So it might be a good idea to keep a silver weapon (mace or no) on your person, just in case...

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2014, 07:46:29 PM »
I would rather have something stabby for werewolves, but a mace'll have to do. May as well keep it on me. :lmao

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2014, 11:20:25 AM »
So Raineh, do we tell the whole story to the Lord, or do we keep any details just for us?

Personally, I woud say that tell everything but the following:
-Religious book we found.
-Copy of the book of Names Kana made.
-The whole "release trapped spirits" part. Let's just say that when checking for stuff in the last room we triggered some trap and everything started collapsing.

Sounds good?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2014, 11:42:13 AM »
On your head be it. It's hard to rhyme an entire comprehensive explanation, anyway. :P

Offline Libertad

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2014, 01:06:03 PM »
Awesome.  I'll make a post later today when I'm off work.

Offline Libertad

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2014, 11:11:44 PM »
Alright, each of you gain 125 silver pieces.  As it is given to you as a reward, it does not add to your experience total.

In the meantime, there are 3 leads in Vornheim for potential sidequests!

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2014, 07:10:43 AM »
Hauntings makes me think of enemies we can't hurt. Personally, I'd like to bother the alchemist. :lmao

Also ought to keep track of how much money we have now. I've forgotten >_>;

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2014, 08:15:27 PM »
In the meantime, there are 3 leads in Vornheim for potential sidequests!

Screw the sidequests, I've got money! (for learning spells)
Trying Faery Fire first.
Rolled 1d6 : 4, total 4

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2014, 08:17:37 PM »
Ok, 4 days scribing and 80 silver pieces, then I support going to check the alchemist because he certainly has magic stuff for us to loot cultural exchange!

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2014, 08:26:01 PM »
Is there anything I should spend my funds on? :lmao

Offline Libertad

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2014, 11:07:58 PM »
Is there anything I should spend my funds on? :lmao

Cold Weather Gear for 5 silver pieces and no encumbrance might be a good idea.  Wilderness survival supplies, such as a tent, might be good to stock up on if you're going to leave Vornheim, which you will eventually.

Alchemist it is, then!  I'll cook up a post soon!

« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 11:30:31 PM by Libertad »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2014, 07:10:37 AM »
Huh, could buy a mule, too. Something to carry all this crap! :lmao

I don't suppose I could've bought one back in the village? Animals would be half the price there as the city. And I'd be more likely to actually buy a horse.

Related: can I just punch these guys from behind? I don't have the cestus, but on the other hand I don't want to kill them. Just stop the building destruction.

EDIT: Actually, We have... ~200 SP each, right? (395SP-200SP (keeping the mace)/2)+125SP. So... 97 (.5 can be cancelled out for, e.g., ink costs) + 125, or 222?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 07:31:51 AM by Raineh Daze »