Author Topic: Fun Finds v4.0  (Read 328247 times)

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds v4.0
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2013, 05:49:52 PM »
I like awakened trees.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2013, 07:26:22 PM »
Here's a fun one.

The Thayan Slaver is a pretty meh class, but its second level feature deals 1 point of Wisdom damage to anyone that it is targeting if they succeed on an Intimidate check by 10 or more.

In other words, you Demoralize them, and happen to succeed by 10 or more?

They lose a point of Wisdom.

Intimidating Rage?

The fact that you are angry cracked their will.

You can literally bully someone comatose.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2013, 07:40:04 PM »
Intimidating Rage? You forgot to mention the additional support it'd need. Like 2 Con, Instantaneous Rage, and your race needs to be a Wolverine. :p

Bub bub sniktbub snikt. (wolvering will kick your ass!)

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2013, 08:46:04 PM »
Anthro-Wolverine or Badger

or long way... Orc Warlord 5 for final rage
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline JaronK

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2013, 12:02:44 AM »
Orc Warlord plus anything that ignores fatigue (such as Horizon Walker 1)... instant kill on anyone who can't ignore Wis damage.

JaronK

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2013, 02:04:45 AM »
From athas.org...
Fearsome feat gives +2 untyped to Intimidate and you can use your Str instead of Cha on Intimidate checks.

Intimidating Presence feat lets you affect your Cha mod in number of foes for demoralization.

these help those using Intimate as much as possible
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2013, 03:00:20 AM »
… using Intimate …

They folded that into bluff in 3.5. 

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2013, 03:42:01 AM »
?
all I saw was completely different abilities for either skill
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2013, 04:06:48 AM »
All right, that joke might have been a little obscure.  I'll explain.  Intimate means “communicate delicately and indirectly.”  Innuendo, the 3.0 skill for doing exactly that, was folded into bluff in 3.5. 

Offline Empirate

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm not as new as my post count suggests!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2013, 04:38:47 AM »
More fun Intimidation stuff:

The Crimson Scourge PrC from Cityscape gets the glorious Threaten ability. Not only do you get a +2 bonus on Intimidate checks to demoralize an opponent (kthx), you can also do so as a move action (yay!), and the opponent stays demoralized for 1 round per point of your Str bonus (YAY!). Now this leads to some nice and easy fear stacking, since you can still use your standard action to demoralize on the same turn. Frighten somebody as a full-round action, or panick them if you add in Instantaneous Rage! For 1 round per point of Str bonus!

This works even better with 9 Zhentarim Fighter sub levels, obviously, but you need lots of levels for that, since Crimson Scourge only gets this nice trick at 7th level. The rest of the class is a bit subpar, too.

Offline JaronK

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2013, 07:32:40 AM »
Dread Pirate and Scarlet Corsair do it better... at level 5, both get an ability that lets you intimidate everyone within 30', and it lasts for Cha mod rounds.   With the Fearsome armor (DotU, I believe) you can do it as a move action, and with Imperious Command they're cowering.  Now throw in a level of Inspire Awe Bard (Dragon Magic variant) along with Haunting Melody and Requiem.

Total result?  Everyone within 30' must make a will save (vs your Perform check, undead are not immune) or be Frightened... if this lands, they stay that way as long as they're in range.  Next, you intimidate everyone within range with DP or SC, and now they just sit there cowering as long as you are close enough.  And you can keep that song up all day long, so you can do this trick forever.

JaronK

Offline Empirate

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm not as new as my post count suggests!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2013, 09:16:58 AM »
I'm aware of the Dread Pirate (never looked at Scarlet Corsair?), which is probably the superior class anyway. However, Crimson Scourge does it with Str instead of Cha, which is a nice change (no AoE, but that's what Dreadful Wrath/Never Outnumbered is for), and you don't need the Fearsome enchantment.

Another fun find: did you know Necropolitan works well with Stalwart Sorcerer? At least, you'll have the most HP out of all Necropolitans! Stalwart Sorcerer increases HP by 2 per level, after all. Stacking on some Evolved Undead (with LA buyoff, preferably) can net great Cha for your sorcery needs!

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2013, 10:52:41 AM »
Dread Pirate and Scarlet Corsair do it better... at level 5, both get an ability that lets you intimidate everyone within 30', and it lasts for Cha mod rounds.   With the Fearsome armor (DotU, I believe) you can do it as a move action, and with Imperious Command they're cowering.  Now throw in a level of Inspire Awe Bard (Dragon Magic variant) along with Haunting Melody and Requiem.

Total result?  Everyone within 30' must make a will save (vs your Perform check, undead are not immune) or be Frightened... if this lands, they stay that way as long as they're in range.  Next, you intimidate everyone within range with DP or SC, and now they just sit there cowering as long as you are close enough.  And you can keep that song up all day long, so you can do this trick forever.

JaronK
End result: you work like Loki in The Avengers before Captian America shows up.  You say "Kneel" and a whole crowd cowers before you until someone else interrupts you.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2013, 11:04:44 AM »
Hmm... Yeah it was

bluff, diplomacy, and intimidate are all pretty much the same

Initiated of Hextor adds Str mod to Intimidate, so could have Str x2 as the ability score
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 11:09:45 AM by zook1shoe »
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Forumowicz

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2013, 03:28:51 PM »
You are right about the awakened tree. Still plant traits + construct traits + hardness + 36 Int & Cha & Wis is pretty darn good.

Offline Demelain

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2013, 06:05:03 PM »
You are right about the awakened tree. Still plant traits + construct traits + hardness + 36 Int & Cha & Wis is pretty darn good.

I'm not sure where you're getting 36 from. It says 3d6.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2013, 09:00:36 PM »
Maybe a typo?

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2013, 09:14:07 PM »
Golden Dragonmail is my find of the day. 11.5k armor for a 3rd level spell slot.

Bad news: Sorcerer/Wizard.
Good news: You are automatically proficient, and if you can get it on a cleric, you can ignore spell failure AND DMM persist that sucker. Cloistered Cleric no longer cares about the loss of armor proficiency.

Offline Demelain

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2013, 09:16:11 PM »
Maybe a typo?

- All its mental ability scores receive a base of 36, which is even better than PAOing into a black ethergaunt or Sarrukh. Also, do not forget the awesome +2 dex!

I assumed so at first, as well, but it instead looks like a misunderstanding rather than a typo (due to multiple instances and comparison to black ethergaunts, which have 31 INT).

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2013, 09:29:30 PM »
Maybe a typo?

- All its mental ability scores receive a base of 36, which is even better than PAOing into a black ethergaunt or Sarrukh. Also, do not forget the awesome +2 dex!

I assumed so at first, as well, but it instead looks like a misunderstanding rather than a typo (due to multiple instances and comparison to black ethergaunts, which have 31 INT).

Wasn't there an old thread about Awaken being Maximize/Empower capable, giving you a 27 base? Maybe it has something to do with that?